Biggest Flops of the Year are....?

Options

Comments

• savon599
    savon599 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Options
    Y'all heard that Soulja Boy's Greatest Hits CD? .....It's a blank disc...
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dixinormus wrote: »
    He drop 3 mixtapes with 1 new song at the end of each ,repackaged it and charged $ for something that could be downloaded for free from his website and then still only sold 100-105 thousand copies. If the industry is still counting double and triple CDs the same that means he only sole like 35 thousand copies of each disc which equals a flop!

hold up
    if you can get ppl to buy some ? that they already coulda downloaded for free, and still can download for free, and 35 thousand ppl buy it just to hear 3 new songs, how is that a flop? if ? could bundle their free mixtapes and sell them joints for 15 bucks and still get 35k ppl to buy them, trust me they would be doing that ? . thats not a flop.

People are just naming people they dont like. Selling 35 thousand copies of music you've given away for free can only be considered a flop by haters.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rick Ross debuting #1 GFID on billboards with 200k first week sale us consider a flop lol.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ross definitely didn't Flop.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The way Ross is hyped makes his release a flop. ? was painted the new Biggie and cant compete with the big boys. ? doing "Pound The Alarm" numbers with "Watch The Throne" buzz
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    The way Ross is hyped makes his release a flop. ? was painted the new Biggie and cant compete with the big boys. ? doing "Pound The Alarm" numbers with "Watch The Throne" buzz

Ross has the second highest 1st week sales this year. Would've had the highest but Kendrick dropped a masterpiece.

Nobody went Plat this year from Rap. Ross isnt the exception.
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    waka not a flop no ones thought he would sell, but rick ross is a flop his fans and the industry thought he would of have sold at least 500k by now , considering it was the most hype hiphop album of the year and 1 of the most hyped/anticipated albums of the year period. anyone else would have sold 1 million by now.
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cruel summer was terrible
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackbloc wrote: »
    waka not a flop no ones thought he would sell, but rick ross is a flop his fans and the industry thought he would of have sold at least 500k by now , considering it was the most hype hiphop album of the year and 1 of the most hyped/anticipated albums of the year period. anyone else would have sold 1 million by now.

Waka flopped, his singles didn't stick, his album met bad reviews, and it sold poorly after the success of Flockaveli.

Btw I think Ross will go plat, RIAA measures shipments not sales, if Nicki Minaj can be certified plat for 600k sold, why can't Ross. Kendrick will go gold by the end of the year and possibly sell more than Cole overall, but idk about plat
  • Turfaholic
    Options

Ross has the second highest 1st week sales this year. Would've had the highest but Kendrick dropped a masterpiece.

I don't care who went plat. Ross had a great year in a weak period of hip hop. Any chart toppers? Hell what were his singles? Why does the Life Is Good thread still pop up on thi forum but Ross last effort has faded. Anybody with ears pretty much gave it the same review. It was a ass album that was supposed to push Ross over into elite status. But instead the ? has come and gone like every other MMG release. ? was a commercial flop in every way
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

I don't care who went plat. Ross had a great year in a weak period of hip hop. Any chart toppers? Hell what were his singles? Why does the Life Is Good thread still pop up on thi forum but Ross last effort has faded. Anybody with ears pretty much gave it the same review. It was a ass album that was supposed to push Ross over into elite status. But instead the ? has come and gone like every other MMG release. ? was a commercial flop in every way

yet boasted his highest sales, went gold and is on its way to platinum. You are just biased and upset over Gee and H rap's comments
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options

Ross album sold more than Nas so did Nas flop? I'm talking about the Premise of this thread and that alone.

I personally think Ross is a wack rapper who is mediocre at Best but that's not what this thread is about.

And ANYBODY who thought Ross would do more than what he did obviously doesn't pay attention to numbers or understand the current climate.

• Turfaholic
    Options

yet boasted his highest sales, went gold and is on its way to platinum. You are just biased and upset over Gee and H rap's comments

Good memory, but false.

You would think being on Reebok billboards, wing stop deals, having a artist with the mst anticipated album of the year, Ross would be up there with Kanye and Hov. You new ? standards is waaaaay too low when it comes to who reps the genre. GFID had blueprint 2 buzz and did Nelly SweatSuit numbers.
  • Kid Dynasty
    Kid Dynasty Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭
    Options
    How much did Lupe sell?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good memory, but false.

You would think being on Reebok billboards, wing stop deals, having a artist with the mst anticipated album of the year, Ross would be up there with Kanye and Hov. You new ? standards is waaaaay too low when it comes to who reps the genre. GFID had blueprint 2 buzz and did Nelly SweatSuit numbers.

? what?
    britney-spears-x-factor-funny-confused.gif
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good memory, but false.

SweatSuit sold like crazy, what you talkin about?
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Good memory, but false.

Thats dumb logic that shows you don't pay attention to how music works. Be honest, Rick Ross could go double plat and you would find something to critique him for. I see many artists on billboards, that equals sales? Diddy owns restaurants when was the last time he went plat? Look at things critically and in context and not with your emotions.

GFID going plat by the end of 2013. Possibly Kendrick. Quote me when im right.
  • --vincenzo--
    --vincenzo-- Members Posts: 142
    edited November 2012
    Options
    when you are featured on the grammies, have your songs in rotation on mainstream radio stations and have more media exposure than the kardashians and still barely outsell artists that are just in there for the love of the genre, yes you flopped.

and i'm pretty sure people at nicki's and ross' labels will invest less in their next projects, whereas kendrick's and nas' budgets probably increase. i mean that ? nasir had one of the top 5 rap albums commercially, it's time to reevaluate strategies for a lot of these hyped rappers, cause ish obviously doesnt work anymore...

• Turfaholic
    Options
    when you are featured on the grammies, have your songs in rotation on mainstream radio stations and have more media exposure than the kardashians and still barely outsell artists that are just in there for the love of the genre, yes yu flopped.

Maybe they'll listen to u
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rick Ross has always made albums with very few big name producers and artist. Thus, it is hard for me to see his overhead being high to start with. Someone like B.O.B. who had Taylor Swift on his album had more overhead than Ross. I doubt some people here understand overhead by saying Ross flopped or bringing up something about how much a label invested in him. All the time they spent on Kreyshawn and all the attempts at publicity and then she can't sell a damn cup of lemonade. She is hands down winner. B.O.B. flopped harder than Ross, he had hits and still did not sell records. If Flo-rida put something out this year he flopped harder than Ross he always has hits and can't sell any records.

So many people flopped harder than Ross. What did Cruel Summer do with all those big names attached to it? Ross has always and will always be a gold rapper. These people actually give some type of credibility to MTV calling someone the hottest in the game.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    Rick Ross has always made albums with very few big name producers and artist. Thus, it is hard for me to see his overhead being high to start with. Someone like B.O.B. who had Taylor Swift on his album had more overhead than Ross. I doubt some people here understand overhead by saying Ross flopped or bringing up something about how much a label invested in him. All the time they spent on Kreyshawn and all the attempts at publicity and then she can't sell a damn cup of lemonade. She is hands down winner. B.O.B. flopped harder than Ross, he had hits and still did not sell records. If Flo-rida put something out this year he flopped harder than Ross he always has hits and can't sell any records.

So many people flopped harder than Ross. What did Cruel Summer do with all those big names attached to it? Ross has always and will always be a gold rapper. These people actually give some type of credibility to MTV calling someone the hottest in the game.

Capitol ? up with Kreayshawn. And ? gate hurt her too. Black girls was rockin with Gucci Gucci til she got linked to V Nasty. Plus her buzz was maggot food when they finally released a album. As a Kreayshawn fan her commercial success was looking dim from jump. Ross sitting at tables with Kanye, Hov, Lyor Cohen, Jimmy Iovinne, Dr Dre, Drake, Nickki Minaj, Lil Wayne, and Birdman. This ? is considered the elite but isn't a member of the million record sold club. The MMG stans swore he was gonna have a Lebron James season nd get that trophy. Anything less from Ross is a flop considering his position in hip hop right now.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ross album sold more than Nas so did Nas flop? I'm talking about the Premise of this thread and that alone.

I personally think Ross is a wack rapper who is mediocre at Best but that's not what this thread is about.

And ANYBODY who thought Ross would do more than what he did obviously doesn't pay attention to numbers or understand the current climate.

ross had way more pub and media and marketing tho. can't compare him to nas,even if they sold the same amount.

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when you are featured on the grammies, have your songs in rotation on mainstream radio stations and have more media exposure than the kardashians and still barely outsell artists that are just in there for the love of the genre, yes you flopped.

and i'm pretty sure people at nicki's and ross' labels will invest less in their next projects, whereas kendrick's and nas' budgets probably increase. i mean that ? nasir had one of the top 5 rap albums commercially, it's time to reevaluate strategies for a lot of these hyped rappers, cause ish obviously doesnt work anymore...

One has nothing to do with the other. Having songs in rotation, being featured on the Grammys, and media exposure doesn't guarantee sales. If that were the case, there's no reason why Lady Gaga's last album shouldn't be selling Adele's since both dropped months apart. Gaga's album sold considerably more in the first week.

Nicki's album is still one of the highest selling albums of the year (which speaks more to the sales climate of 2012 than anything). And Ross is the second highest selling rap album of the year.

Now if anyone can post Def Jam's projections for Ross's album, the amount of money that went into promoting the album, then we can truly determined if it flopped or not. Otherwise, it's a success when compared to the sales climate in 2012.
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    i dont understand how RickyCop flopped tho, his first week of gfid sold more than his first week of teflon cop
    its not about the 1st week its about the long haul and unlike tf , gfid became a weed plate on its 2nd week,and comparing it another southern artist on same label in the same genre aka jeezy , roos flopped since his alum was more anticipated . had more promo and did worse #sin every way compered to tm103