Who remembers when Mos Def challenged Jay-z to a battle?

Options

Comments

• Jeremyiahest83
    Jeremyiahest83 Members Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Options
    People act as if jay didn't come up in the battling scene. He still has it in him. It would be a dope battle.

Problem is.. Mos or Yasiin, STILL spittin' like he is in his Prime. Jay is not. Jay Will Lose.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, i remember this shy....wouldve been a good battle if Jay accepted the challenge.....but!!
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mos def has his momments. But he's never been a lyrical beast consistently. The new Jayz (post Black album corporate ? ) would get his azz handed to him. The ol Jay would destroy Mos Def. No contest. Jay was way too clever & witty for Mos. Even on the Get by remix with him & Jay Mos didnt outshine (Ye had the best verse)
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why would Jay accept it? He's not stupid. Mos has a great chance of sonning dude, so it didn't make sense for Jay to accept. That would be hustling backwards... to battle someone that can actually beat you.

What's the point? It's better to act as if it never happened so the decision will be split between fans rather than facts. Plus y'all know after Nas, Jay ain't taking any chances. Jay won't even exchange words with Wayne.

I said the same for Nas in 2001.
  • Jeremyiahest83
    Options
    Mos def has his momments. But he's never been a lyrical beast consistently. The new Jayz (post Black album corporate ? ) would get his azz handed to him. The ol Jay would destroy Mos Def. No contest. Jay was way too clever & witty for Mos. Even on the Get by remix with him & Jay Mos didnt outshine (Ye had the best verse)

That was a song dude. Everyone on the record has to play a role in order to make the song listenable. Verses will vary in that regard. In a battle, one on one, Mos would Mosdef be a different type of animal.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol jay really is the measuring stick for you so called heads. Either he is overrated or not, what would mos beating him reconfirm
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    its just the sport of rhyming ? , damn... get off Jay ? ...

On Mos Def terms, ? outta here. Jay already earned his stripes battling LL, DMX, GZA,etc.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    etc.

Elaborate..
  • usmarin3
    Options
    etc.

Elaborate..

bizzy bone, busta, and so one. ? actling like jay don't have stripes or suppose to respond to every "thirsty" rapper
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay ass just scary so what if he did battle and for the sake of argument he did lose.He wouldn't of lost no standing or fans in the game,he was already too established he make make great records but he a sneek dissin queen.

Come on you gon diss Jim Jones Jayo Felony and Deshawn Stevenson Deshawn muthafucking Stevenson but ? out too Cam and Game and countless others that could of actually gave him a run for his money ? ? .

Jay a titan in this game ain't no denying that but if you the so-called best ain't nobody suppose too call you out and get away with it.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you still call yourself a lyricist you are never beyond battling on stage

Nobody battles for sport anymore. All those cats battled in parking lots and on street corners, they not going back to that...regardless of what we think. They need to focus on writing singles and touring, they don't have time to prepare bars for a battle anymore.

Let's also not forget labels aint having it. They put millions into these guys and losing or being embarrassed Canibus style would ruin what they already worked for. That's why they always want an obscene amount of money to battle, there's more to lose than there is to win for them battling nowadays.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol Ta-Ta has arrived!!!!....On the real though you cant say Jay was scared dude basically took over the beef with Nas from Bleek, went at it with D Block, Dip Set...although for rec the battle with DMX, so I wouldnt say he was scared maybe he was just over that battle ?
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The hate for Shawn on this board is ? ridiculous no RZA....when it comes to lyricism theres a few cats in rap history that can hang with dude
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People act as if jay didn't come up in the battling scene. He still has it in him. It would be a dope battle.

Problem is.. Mos or Yasiin, STILL spittin' like he is in his Prime. Jay is not. Jay Will Lose.

What about shiny suit theory ?

• Jeremyiahest83
    Options
    starvin wrote: »

You think Shawn is still loaded with "Shiny Suit Theories"? I don't think so...
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the excuses u ? make for Jays bitchassness is hilarious and sad at the same time.... All I see is cop outs for him not accepting a ? calling him out. a ? who had the skills to beat him. replace Jay and insert otehr rappers and no pass would be given
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    starvin wrote: »

You think Shawn is still loaded with "Shiny Suit Theories"? I don't think so...

why not? too many people look at this rap ? like sports. sure there is a prime when you are at your peak of creativity, inspiration etc but not in the sense of "oh he is too old, he doesn't have it anymore". I feel you are only as good as your competition and that's with anyone. ? know when to go all out or reserve and with Jay E he had to show ? that he can still spit that heat.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

no one knows that. no one has heard a mos def rhyme in like 3 years
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mos Def stans are coming out of the woodworks.
  • Jeremyiahest83
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Mos Def stans are coming out of the woodworks.

Oh Yeah We In This ? !
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol jay really is the measuring stick for you so called heads. Either he is overrated or not, what would mos beating him reconfirm

Captain Save-A-Jay to the rescue
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this thread is hilarious. i love when ? get on their Death Battle- Thor vs X-Men theories on here. reminds me to go outside
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    this thread is hilarious. i love when ? get on their Death Battle- Thor vs X-Men theories on here. reminds me to go outside

Cause people be like Jay z? He's like one of the biggest if not the biggest rapper. He was sittin with the dignitaries at the inauguration. He aint gon even be thinkin bout somethin like this. Theres nothin to argue about really. Hypotheticall, i understand the position that he could have lost. But somebody could get knocked out by some homeless dude if he wanna fight, but why would you play yourself to even fight a homeless dude in the first place.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    the excuses u ? make for Jays bitchassness is hilarious and sad at the same time.... All I see is cop outs for him not accepting a ? calling him out. a ? who had the skills to beat him. replace Jay and insert otehr rappers and no pass would be given

insert any other rapper outside of Eminem and no one would give two ? about Mos Def calling them out. Why should Jay reach downwards to bring Mos Def up to his light.