Does anyone get annoyed by how small these boxers are?

Options

Comments

• Meet The Sniper
    Meet The Sniper Members Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Whoa paranoid, where did I say invincible? Even earlier in the thread my first comment was boxers aren't gonna go into the UFC and fight people. So I was talkin bout professionals from the beginning

Boxers don't go to UFC because of the amount of starting over they'd have to do. Your boxing stand up game would be fantastic, but what would you do in a take down? Wrestling training added. Keep yourself out of chokes? Ju-jitsu training needed. Break stand holds and add legs to your game? Muay Tai needed. You COULD get all those and go to the UFC or you could stay in boxing where it's comfortable. Why leave to be first mate when you're already captain?

But it's not like if you don't have a complete skill set a UFC guy is gonna kick your ass. Chuck Liddel has very little outside of his standup game and he's excelled for years.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Boxers don't go to UFC because of the amount of starting over they'd have to do. Your boxing stand up game would be fantastic, but what would you do in a take down? Wrestling training added. Keep yourself out of chokes? Ju-jitsu training needed. Break stand holds and add legs to your game? Muay Tai needed. You COULD get all those and go to the UFC or you could stay in boxing where it's comfortable. Why leave to be first mate when you're already captain?

But it's not like if you don't have a complete skill set a UFC guy is gonna kick your ass. Chuck Liddel has very little outside of his standup game and he's excelled for years.

That's kinda what I'm saying though. In a boxing match Floyd could beat up most athletes larger than him. But if it's a fight, and they're allowed to grab him and turn it into grappling he can be beat by a lot of them. A lotta the guys would have a big reach advantage, so for Floyd to get close enuff to hit them, he has to get well within the range to get grabbed.

Chuck had a great sprawl though, so his ground game wasn't great, but he was great at not getting taken down. People tried taking him down all the time.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Whoa paranoid, where did I say invincible? Even earlier in the thread my first comment was boxers aren't gonna go into the UFC and fight people. So I was talkin bout professionals from the beginning
    Actually ? think like this all the time. It's what usually gets ? beat up by boxers.

As a boxer myself, yall really need to learn the status of fighting. A boxer fighting a regular person of any weight has very big and numerous advantages.

1. Conditioning. Streetfights rarely last more than 30 seconds or so. Boxers are trained to fight in sets of minutes with very little break in between. This advantage is HUGE. In amature boxing conditioning wins more fights then anything else. And you're talking about fighting a world class pro?! The moment Mayweather sees you breathing from your mouth or lowering your hands those subtle clues would give Mayweather the opprotunity to unload on you.

From 0:07 to 0:25 was ALL punches and evasion at a very high pace. That's longer than most streetfights. It's also more than stamina too. If you boxed you'd know that just holding your hands at jaw-temple level is really taxing on the shoulders.

Also take into consideration that with sparring you're getting hit on the daily. With that practice and also jaw strength training like chewing leather, oneshotting a boxer is highly unlikely unless the hit was clean in extreme weight differences.

2. Technique. Another L streetfighting ? typically take. Squaring your feet is the easiest way to end up on your ass. Also people usually don't know how to have stance and lead with their dominate hand which means their punches will rarely land with maximum power. Also you have to know where to guard and have it subconciously guarded always. People usually guard the jaw, but leave their Solar Pluex open, temple open, ribs open etc.

3. Experince. The best teacher. Muscle memory is the best weapon an experinced 147 guy has over a 240 pounder. Pros can even dodged well thrown jabs, and in streetfights, ? typically ? back and unload overhands. To Mayweather throwing a punch like that means you may as well called him two days ago and told him you were going to punch him. In that timeframe with hands as fast as Floyds you could catch 3 jabs and he could still evade what was left of your punch.

So yeah, the dude isn't ? but he's definetly extraordinary talent on a worldwide boxing level. Thinking you can win just on weight advantage is dumb.

For the record I like low weight- mid weight boxing more anyway. There is usually more vairety in styles especially in the fallen off boxing in today. Heavy weights are almost always Sluggers. If they aren't 9 times out of 10 they'd just go play football and chase a bigger paycheck as a LT.

Great post..i swear some people are stupid

on another note bruce lee was betwen 120-150 at his best and he would wax anybody you knows ass to all of these supermen running around here
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Actually ? think like this all the time. It's what usually gets ? beat up by boxers.

As a boxer myself, yall really need to learn the status of fighting. A boxer fighting a regular person of any weight has very big and numerous advantages.

1. Conditioning. Streetfights rarely last more than 30 seconds or so. Boxers are trained to fight in sets of minutes with very little break in between. This advantage is HUGE. In amature boxing conditioning wins more fights then anything else. And you're talking about fighting a world class pro?! The moment Mayweather sees you breathing from your mouth or lowering your hands those subtle clues would give Mayweather the opprotunity to unload on you.

From 0:07 to 0:25 was ALL punches and evasion at a very high pace. That's longer than most streetfights. It's also more than stamina too. If you boxed you'd know that just holding your hands at jaw-temple level is really taxing on the shoulders.

Also take into consideration that with sparring you're getting hit on the daily. With that practice and also jaw strength training like chewing leather, oneshotting a boxer is highly unlikely unless the hit was clean in extreme weight differences.

2. Technique. Another L streetfighting ? typically take. Squaring your feet is the easiest way to end up on your ass. Also people usually don't know how to have stance and lead with their dominate hand which means their punches will rarely land with maximum power. Also you have to know where to guard and have it subconciously guarded always. People usually guard the jaw, but leave their Solar Pluex open, temple open, ribs open etc.

3. Experince. The best teacher. Muscle memory is the best weapon an experinced 147 guy has over a 240 pounder. Pros can even dodged well thrown jabs, and in streetfights, ? typically ? back and unload overhands. To Mayweather throwing a punch like that means you may as well called him two days ago and told him you were going to punch him. In that timeframe with hands as fast as Floyds you could catch 3 jabs and he could still evade what was left of your punch.

So yeah, the dude isn't ? but he's definetly extraordinary talent on a worldwide boxing level. Thinking you can win just on weight advantage is dumb.

For the record I like low weight- mid weight boxing more anyway. There is usually more vairety in styles especially in the fallen off boxing in today. Heavy weights are almost always Sluggers. If they aren't 9 times out of 10 they'd just go play football and chase a bigger paycheck as a LT.

very nice post

*waits for a ? to say none of that would matter if he was fighting yokozuna*
  • playmaker88
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    very nice post

*waits for a ? to say none of that would matter if he was fighting yokozuna*

Lol then.. next would be Kratos..
  • Meet The Sniper
    Meet The Sniper Members Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That's kinda what I'm saying though. In a boxing match Floyd could beat up most athletes larger than him. But if it's a fight, and they're allowed to grab him and turn it into grappling he can be beat by a lot of them. A lotta the guys would have a big reach advantage, so for Floyd to get close enuff to hit them, he has to get well within the range to get grabbed.

Chuck had a great sprawl though, so his ground game wasn't great, but he was great at not getting taken down. People tried taking him down all the time.

But Mayweather has unrealstic reflexes. If this was a typical boxer I'd understand, but you chose the wrong one. Floyd ALREADY excells in defense. Dude does well enough dodging punches. What makes you think going for his legs or neck would be any easier. Outboxers made a science of either outreaching their opponents or going insider and throwing a couple, then darting back outside.

Grapples are risky enough in MMA with the threat of knees to the face. Jab range easily outdistances grabbing range.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    But Mayweather has unrealstic reflexes. If this was a typical boxer I'd understand, but you chose the wrong one. Floyd ALREADY excells in defense. Dude does well enough dodging punches. What makes you think going for his legs or neck would be any easier. Outboxers made a science of either outreaching their opponents or going insider and throwing a couple, then darting back outside.

Grapples are risky enough in MMA with the threat of knees to the face. Jab range easily outdistances grabbing range.

He does have great reflexes, and a good boxing defense. I think he's a really talented boxer. But while it's a stand-up the other fighter can still defend himself somewhat, and if Floyd makes the mistake of gettin too close, he can grab him and take him down. But once it's on the ground, Floyd won't be able to defend himself at all, and won't kno how to capitalize on the mistakes made.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    ROTFL So the ngga is M.A.N.T.I.S.???!!!

mantis.jpg

LMAO I give up. Yall got it. 147lb Floyd > Life

I can see that ? now: *Superman rolls up on Floyd*

The peanut gallery: "i dont know about that one, I know superman got that flying ? but Floyd's hands son, his hands"

actually the ? isn't lying. Discovery Channel actually has a tv show where they show people who study ? like this. People who fight professionally and train intensely do alter their bone structure after a while...it's a proven fact
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options

3. Experince. The best teacher. Muscle memory is the best weapon an experinced 147 guy has over a 240 pounder. Pros can even dodged well thrown jabs, and in streetfights, niggas typically ? back and unload overhands. To Mayweather throwing a punch like that means you may as well called him two days ago and told him you were going to punch him. In that timeframe with hands as fast as Floyds you could catch 3 jabs and he could still evade what was left of your punch.

No doubt.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ? killin me in this thread..talking about taken on a train prof. fighter! ha ha yeah ok...shoot u can't even f with an amateur fighter...i've been boxing 6 years and the min i put on the gloves and competed and got my boxing licenses..i couldn't illegally get into a street fight with anyone.. It's against the law..look it up....once u train to fight....going up against an average joe is food for a fighter...way to ? easy..ever seen MTV's bully beat down...if not peep that....
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    u killin me with this superman ? . u are full of yourself. u the type of dude thats gonna get offed ? with the wrong one because u think you're "nice." GTFOH, if you a semi-pro fighter the ? u doin postin on a message board all the damn time? I smell ? .

only way i get offed is cuz i decide to let yall clowns live for stepping to me on some ? ...like i said b4 the only way a street dude has an advantage over a trained pro is if they severely outnumber him...or have weapons other than that...99/100 the pro is waxing that ass...and i dont compete anymore...but i still train...however if u must know why i post "all the time" according to u...i post 90% of the time while im @ school...I started competing a couple yrs ago when i was a MAC instructor @ ft.lewis wa...i was also an SF Medic...which means i'd beat the dog ? out of u and then have to revive ur ? if u didnt die...FOH...? ...i've trained and sparred with pros,HOFer, and learned ? from legends...? u only see on Fight Night FOH....? stay on that dumb ? ...fact of the matter is...u aint whooping my ass let alone a top of the line pro in the streets...so u better get a weapon and pray to ? that ur outta range....FOH...? acting like its an L to get ur ass whooped by a pro...i damn near got my arm broke ? with BJ Penn on that ? ...and we were sparring and bullshitting at about 65%....and i'm trained so u think u ? with him....FOH...i'm done with these clowns
  • iAMNOVA
    edited May 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    actually the ? isn't lying. Discovery Channel actually has a tv show where they show people who study ? like this. People who fight professionally and train intensely do alter their bone structure after a while...it's a proven fact

? stay trying to argue with logic and science...lol...i thought that was common knowledge...but apparently not...fighters develop different biological make up to help the compete and cope with the rigors of getting ur ass whooped for a living...smh...u cant tell ? ? ...they always have to find ? out the hard way...all yall ? that think u ? with a pro fighter go run up on a seasoned amature first and youtube it...promise u its not going to turn out the way u think...all that ? sounds good in theory ....on paper..."yeah i'm just gone grab his little ass" paper and theory dont move dont hit u with 2 /3 jabs and stand u up with an uppercut when u try ur unorthodox jr HS wrestling takedown...go ahead run up on floyd and see whats up
  • playmaker88
    edited May 2010
    Options
    iAMNOVA wrote: »
    ? stay trying to argue with logic and science...lol...i thought that was common knowledge...but apparently not...fighters develop different biological make up to help the compete and cope with the rigors of getting ur ass whooped for a living...smh...u cant tell ? ? ...they always have to find ? out the hard way...all yall ? that think u ? with a pro fighter go run up on a seasoned amature first and youtube it...promise u its not going to turn out the way u think...all that ? sounds good in theory ....on paper..."yeah i'm just gone grab his little ass" paper and theory dont move dont hit u with 2 /3 jabs and stand u up with an uppercut when u try ur unorthodox jr HS wrestling takedown...go ahead run up on floyd and see whats up

just want one of these clowns to actually do that.. so i could have a great laugh
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    only way i get offed is cuz i decide to let yall clowns live for stepping to me on some ? ...like i said b4 the only way a street dude has an advantage over a trained pro is if they severely outnumber him...or have weapons other than that...99/100 the pro is waxing that ass...and i dont compete anymore...but i still train...however if u must know why i post "all the time" according to u...i post 90% of the time while im @ school...I started competing a couple yrs ago when i was a MAC instructor @ ft.lewis wa...i was also an SF Medic...which means i'd beat the dog ? out of u and then have to revive ur ? if u didnt die...FOH...? ...i've trained and sparred with pros,HOFer, and learned ? from legends...? u only see on Fight Night FOH....? stay on that dumb ? ...fact of the matter is...u aint whooping my ass let alone a top of the line pro in the streets...so u better get a weapon and pray to ? that ur outta range....FOH...? acting like its an L to get ur ass whooped by a pro...i damn near got my arm broke ? with BJ Penn on that ? ...and we were sparring and bullshitting at about 65%....and i'm trained so u think u ? with him....FOH...i'm done with these clowns

Im not arguing with you about the science or about a trained fighter fighting an average street cat. they are trained. duh, they better not let no street dude whoop their ass. but what I was commenting on was you personally. you think you are the ? and you are the type of ? ? that would get smoked ? with somebody you think you can push around or beat up because "you're nice." Let me ask you, are you trained to dodge bullets? Like I said it only takes your ego and an attitude like yours to get you killed.
  • iAMNOVA
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Im not arguing with you about the science or about a trained fighter fighting an average street cat. they are trained. duh, they better not let no street dude whoop their ass. but what I was commenting on was you personally. you think you are the ? and you are the type of ? ? that would get smoked ? with somebody you think you can push around or beat up because "you're nice." Let me ask you, are you trained to dodge bullets? Like I said it only takes your ego and an attitude like yours to get you killed.

actually yeah i am trained to dodge bullets...smh...? im not a bully i aint been in a fight I started since i started competing as an amature boxer in hs...its kinda illegal i AM however allowed to defend myself...? i look like being a bully and im 185...da ? did i say that made it seem like i had an attitude or that i was a bully...all i said was that i'm trained and i get my ass whooped by pros...but if the avg ? test me in the street....he's losing...and yea i really am trained to dodge bullets...De Oppresso Liber
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    actually yeah i am trained to dodge bullets...smh...? im not a bully i aint been in a fight I started since i started competing as an amature boxer in hs...its kinda illegal i AM however allowed to defend myself...? i look like being a bully and im 185...da ? did i say that made it seem like i had an attitude or that i was a bully...all i said was that i'm trained and i get my ass whooped by pros...but if the avg ? test me in the street....he's losing...and yea i really am trained to dodge bullets...De Oppresso Liber

well I know for a fact you aint bullet proof unless you smokin some of that ? that Roger Mayweather was sayin Manny was on. anyways, you just seem like the type of dude that walk around with his chest out, muggin people and always talkin bout how you are "trained." Ive had 2 conversations with you (this being the second), and both times you have come off as an arrogant ? . you dont remember when you tried to tell me what the ? is goin on in MY city? and you tried to use your lame ass cousin who played for Hickville University aka OSU as an authority on what the ? is happenin in OKC when he stay in Stillwater? yeah, your a lame my boy and I just hope you dont spout off to some ? or crackhead ? ? in a club or on the street about your "skills" and you get popped thats all Im sayin. Really you should thank me.
  • playmaker88
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I didnt see him as coming off as puffing his chest out at all.. *shrugs* go from the first reply he made
  • iAMNOVA
    edited May 2010
    Options
    well I know for a fact you aint bullet proof unless you smokin some of that ? that Roger Mayweather was sayin Manny was on. anyways, you just seem like the type of dude that walk around with his chest out, muggin people and always talkin bout how you are "trained." Ive had 2 conversations with you (this being the second), and both times you have come off as an arrogant ? . you dont remember when you tried to tell me what the ? is goin on in MY city? and you tried to use your lame ass cousin who played for Hickville University aka OSU as an authority on what the ? is happenin in OKC when he stay in Stillwater? yeah, your a lame my boy and I just hope you dont spout off to some ? or crackhead ? ? in a club or on the street about your "skills" and you get popped thats all Im sayin. Really you should thank me.

lmao..shows how much i care..u remember me i dont remember u...but yeah my cuz did play for OK ST...and...the bulls...where did u play? u just seem mad at the world...I am arrogant and an ? I admit that...but i aint said ? to u homeboy...at least nothin sideways anyway...? kinda ? is that...talkin about skills out of context??? ? that come from???...could sounds like some Napoleon dynamite ? ...who talkin about skills the thread ended up being about who could take on a pro...and i said ? i've been training my whole life and was a semi pro...and i know i aint stepping to them cats so i know a ? str8 off the streets no training aint steppin successfully...anyway...keep remembering me...so that next time we have a disagreement u cant bring this one up as well...cuz i damn sure wont be remembering u...FOH
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A day later...my final point.

I actually think only ONE person mentioned a regular joe fighting floyd, than everyone went on a tangent.

End of the day, Floyd hangs in clubs all day, in Vegas, and pops ? (mind you, Floyd is my dude!) So using Ray Lewis as an example is LEGIT. Floyd goin at it with a nfl player probably has already happened, just he has bodyguards. Just the fact that people think using Ray Lewis is an extraordinary example kinda proves my point. Which is, there is a limit size-wise as to when all your boxing skill loose its 'invincibility'
  • playmaker88
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No one said that anyone is invincible.. anyone can be touched.. but chances area fighter losing to a non fighter is not great
  • S2J
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No one said that anyone is invincible.. anyone can be touched.. but chances area fighter losing to a non fighter is not great

*sigh*...no one said the word, but cmon ? ...I jus read over the thread, and if im lyin im flyin...nggas rode boxers like they were gentically predisposed to never take an L, no matter the size.

Its whatever, we just gon hav to agree to disagree..even tho that 50 video basically proves my point.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Pro Boxer is beating any Regular ? in a fight
  • S2J
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Pro Boxer is beating any Regular ? in a fight

Thanks, Captain Obvious, for your contribution to this thread.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    title still sounds ?
  • Mind/State
    Mind/State Confirm Email Posts: 10
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'd say a bigger dude has a legit chance of beatin up Floyd. Not outboxin him, but if u can grip that mother ? and get em on the ground, he ain't gonna roll u or no ? . If u get on em, u can beat his ass. That's y boxers aren't gonna go into the UFC n start fitin dudes

James Toney is about to fight Randy couture... Not set in stone yet though... And I heard a rumor that Ricardo mayorga is planning on fighting on some mma bouts... So wat u said isn't nessecarily true...