• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    krs one is lyrically overrated
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Another overrated pioneer. He was Dope, but overrated. Longevity and speaking too many generation is a awesome accomplished. How many artist have come n gone sinced E-40 got that Jive deal? My dad listened to E-40, I listen to E-40, I see teenagers listening to 40. KRS is linked to One Era. We could talk bout whos better or we could go stat for stat.

Nah, in NY they bump KRS every once in awhile till this day when they do the DJ mix ? . His ? was always dope. He was on the street knowledge tip that dudes praise Nas for. Black Cop, 9mm, Sound of the Police etc.

But all ? aside, KRS would embarrass E-40 in any category of emceeing. To me KRS is better than all of those commercial ? y'all ? praise... even now. Dude was the definition of a dope emcee. People just don't like hipm because they consider him arrogant.

Flow, lyrics, delivery, spit off the head, battle ? , substance, unique, original, rock the crowd etc. Few emcees have the whole package like sun.

Bruh very few people outside of NY checkin for KRS. And most of his out of state fans like him because he was popppin during their high school years. Of course KRS would prolly beat 40 on some battle ? . But 40 would rap circles around KRS. Delivery, flow, and metaphors. But iI consider your argument became invalid when you called him commercial. 40 is the greatest independent artist in the history of the genre. Like I said we could talk out our necks, or compare stats. KRS is to the 80s what Ja Rule is to the 00s.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At first I read the thread title and was like ...

katt_williams_pimpin.jpg

But some of y'all are making a good case for 40. I grew up listening to both. KRS is a legend, but so is 40. Lyrically KRS is better. Both are equally relevant from a historical perspective, but 40 is arguably more relevant as of today. I can't choose.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I grew up on KRS. I can probably name one song by E-40 (Sprinkle Me). Not saying he's good or bad but I just haven't heard E-40s material. There was a coastal shift in the mid 90s and his music didn't hit on the East coast. No disrespect though.

I can say this, I saw KRS perform on New Years Eve 93/94 and he shut the club down. Anybody who says KRS doesn't have classics must not be in my age bracket.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo, another one....lol...C'mon yo, this backlash has more to do with KRS's arrogance....No way is E 40 better than KRS.....Cutter wat happened b, Wu-Tang wasnt available for this comparison?...lol
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another overrated pioneer. He was Dope, but overrated. Longevity and speaking too many generation is a awesome accomplished. How many artist have come n gone sinced E-40 got that Jive deal? My dad listened to E-40, I listen to E-40, I see teenagers listening to 40. KRS is linked to One Era. We could talk bout whos better or we could go stat for stat.

Nah, in NY they bump KRS every once in awhile till this day when they do the DJ mix ? . His ? was always dope. He was on the street knowledge tip that dudes praise Nas for. Black Cop, 9mm, Sound of the Police etc.

But all ? aside, KRS would embarrass E-40 in any category of emceeing. To me KRS is better than all of those commercial ? y'all ? praise... even now. Dude was the definition of a dope emcee. People just don't like hipm because they consider him arrogant.

Flow, lyrics, delivery, spit off the head, battle ? , substance, unique, original, rock the crowd etc. Few emcees have the whole package like sun.

Bruh very few people outside of NY checkin for KRS. And most of his out of state fans like him because he was popppin during their high school years. Of course KRS would prolly beat 40 on some battle ? . But 40 would rap circles around KRS. Delivery, flow, and metaphors. But iI consider your argument became invalid when you called him commercial. 40 is the greatest independent artist in the history of the genre. Like I said we could talk out our necks, or compare stats. KRS is to the 80s what Ja Rule is to the 00s.

What? 40 will rap circles KRS?

40 flow, delivery, and voice are grade F ass.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

What? 40 will rap circles KRS?

40 flow, delivery, and voice are grade F ass.

Nh
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I grew up on KRS. I can probably name one song by E-40 (Sprinkle Me). Not saying he's good or bad but I just haven't heard E-40s material. There was a coastal shift in the mid 90s and his music didn't hit on the East coast. No disrespect though.

I can say this, I saw KRS perform on New Years Eve 93/94 and he shut the club down. Anybody who says KRS doesn't have classics must not be in my age bracket.

his off the dome sections of the show must have been on point cause when i seen him earlier this year he honestly had a lot of filler in his live show... i think he may have been pouting tho cause when sister carol was still on stage i seen him kinda haggling with the promoter.. idk but i was more impressed by the showmanship of the reggae acts... krs gets a little self-absorbed at times and has arrested the development of his expression behind that..isolated on his pedestal with nothing but yes men around. he got classics but not enough in respects to how long he's been on the scene.... if he was more humble perhaps he'd have the work ethic of somebody like k-rino
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you can't seriously be knocking krs-one's work ethic. that man's been touring almost constantly since the late 80's and has over 20 studio albums.

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man they not even in the same category
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Both are great rappers that have contributed a lot to different aspects of the game but other then the fact both make innercity/urban music not really comparable, this thread runs down the those east west of the Mississippi lines...
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    There was a FOF thread dedicated to KRS nose lol. ? jus reminded me. Somebody said his nose looks like a goomba
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao, how I miss this...I agree...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

his off the dome sections of the show must have been on point cause when i seen him earlier this year he honestly had a lot of filler in his live show... i think he may have been pouting tho cause when sister carol was still on stage i seen him kinda haggling with the promoter.. idk but i was more impressed by the showmanship of the reggae acts... krs gets a little self-absorbed at times and has arrested the development of his expression behind that..isolated on his pedestal with nothing but yes men around. he got classics but not enough in respects to how long he's been on the scene.... if he was more humble perhaps he'd have the work ethic of somebody like k-rino

Well, you gotta understand that Hip Hop music as a whole was "underground" when KRS was in his peak (late 80s early 90s). There was no Hot 97 or Power 105. MTV, VH1 and BET didn't play rap videos like they do now. Remember Yo! MTV Raps didn't even come out until 1988 and wasn't broadcast daily until 89. Commercial radio didn't play Jay Z, Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj every 10 minutes. When KRS was in his peak the only rappers that were getting any top 40 play were Hammer and Vanilla Ice, and maybe Salt N Pepa.

One way to look at it was Hammer and Vanilla Ice were getting top 40 play and KRS was more of a mixtape/freestyle MC, even though his records were sold in stores, if you didn't listen to late night college radio you'd have no idea who KRS One was. He had an underground following.

Circa 94/95 when rap as a whole grew out of the underground and labels like Death Row and Bad Boy created a commercially acceptable sound to the masses but it still had street credibility (It has alot to do with marketing, You dress someone up to be a thug or a gangsta and people buy into the image) , underground rappers like KRS who just appealled to 500,000 core fans but couldn't reach multi-platinum sales like Big and Pac.

Ultimately, from the interviews I've read KRS can still sellout a 1,000 tickets in a nightclub in any city in America without having a hit. He's a legend. He's getting paid and not having to give the label 90% of the money because he's independent.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    10/11/2013 KRS ONE will be at the Shrine here in Chicago
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really dont like either much, but I did like more E-40 songs
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    krs is a wonderful teacher & i respect his role in rap history but ima go wit mah ? 40 water!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KfeKc8DvD8
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    40 delivery is nice, its odd that's why its dope the spit he brought to the game the ? made his own lane. Cant hate on the ? . Song for Song tho iono
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    you can't seriously be knocking krs-one's work ethic. that man's been touring almost constantly since the late 80's and has over 20 studio albums.

E-40 has dropped 8 QUALITY studio albums.....................since March.....................2012
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Only those old ass ? who were in high school when soul train was on(wit don cornelius hosting) and act like this is some far fetched comparison will say krs.All these other people don't bump 40 in the 1st place so their opinions are irrelevant
  • SahTa1
    SahTa1 Members Posts: 2
    Options
    e 40 way better.....e 40 done put the industry up on so much game in his music.....krs a legend tho....but not on 3-40 level
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all don't remember how big Krs was... E 40 ain't never been as popular as Krs was in his prime... Ic Revisionist history again...
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Y'all don't remember how big Krs was... E 40 ain't never been as popular as Krs was in his prime... Ic Revisionist history again...

It's our fault ? weren't born in the late 60's/early 70's? Hammer,Sir Mix a lot,vanilla ice were popular too

Longevity>>>>>>>>>>Popularity