Game of Thrones - Season 4 (Book Readers please use spoilers & disclaimers or be BANNED)

Options

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    tyrion caught feelings and ruined varys's plans for the throne. varys looked so ? off when he heard those bells. you could see it in his face. great acting btw. great character.
    What made you think varys wanted the throne for himself?

I'm probably tripping. But I do remember one scene from way back when Varys was talking with Little Finger in the throne room, and Little Finger asked him why he was doing the things that he was doing and what he hoped to achieve, and Varys just turned his head and looked at the Iron Throne. Edit: just saw sion's post. yeah, that's the scene I was talking about.

But if Varys is scheming for the throne, then what cain said seems to make the most sense. maybe he's trying to put somebody on the throne. could be daenerys, like some of you have said. Is "Varys" a Valaryian name? Looks like "Daenerys."
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    tyrion caught feelings and ruined varys's plans for the throne. varys looked so ? off when he heard those bells. you could see it in his face. great acting btw. great character.
    What made you think varys wanted the throne for himself?

I'm probably tripping. But I do remember one scene from way back when Varys was talking with Little Finger in the throne room, and Little Finger asked him why he was doing the things that he was doing and what he hoped to achieve, and Varys just turned his head and looked at the Iron Throne. Edit: just saw sion's post. yeah, that's the scene I was talking about.

But if Varys is scheming for the throne, then what cain said seems to make the most sense. maybe he's trying to put somebody on the throne. could be daenerys, like some of you have said. Is "Varys" a Valaryian name? Looks like "Daenerys."

I don't think vary's wants to be the king

I think he actually wants Westeros to run as good as it can and wants ppl to have justice

The other way to look at it is he wants to be the guy who tells the king what to do like Tywin

There's no way Varys can actually sit on the throne

Somebody just pointed out to me that even though he's slimy varys is one of the few good guys

He's just a slick ? ?

Oh yeah it's no secret Varys wants Daenrys on the throne.he told it to somebody while Arya overheard it.he does want the Targareyens to rule again
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks people weaving all these crazy theories for something that's unfinished is funny. No matter how close you might be, Martin could change it all on a whim just to ? with everybody.
  • loch121
    edited June 2014
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    What facts were pointed out about Jon? GRRM asking who's Jon's mother as a test to the show runners to get the show seals it for me.

The facts weren't conclusive but were strong imo.

Like the fact that Ned believed that Stannis was the true heir instead of Jon.

And if I'm not mistaken, Snow being born during the rebellion doesn't seem to match the GoT timeline. And if the theory is right, wouldn't that make Jon Daenerys's nephew since Jon would be Rhaegar's son, and Rhaegar is Daenerys's brother? That would seem a bit odd.

I also find Mel staring down Jon as weak evidence for the theory. Her stare could mean a lot of things. To be honest, the first thing that popped in my head was that she was Jon's mother, but that's unlikely.

There's also the hair problem, but Jon having black hair might make sense after some of you pointed out how Ned figured out the true identities of Cersei's children.

And what about Jon having some kind of resistant to fire? I would think there would be more clues as well.

Ned's sister might be the mother, but I don't think that Rhaegar's the father, though he could be. Robert might be. I don't know, but I don't think that Ned is. Like others, I find it odd that Ned would do something so out of character. And he seemed to have been tight-lipped about it.
    That means that answer is important and Jon Snow is the picture on the cover of the 1st book,Game Of Thrones

I agree, but someone other than Rhaegar might be the father, and that could still be important.
    anyway,Stannis is cool,but boring and I never cared about him ,but knows he's important

agreed. yeah, he is kind of boring, even though being dry fits his character. i just think that his military intelligence and get-down-to-business kind of style makes him a badass. he's an ? , but not the bad kind imo. he's the kind of guy who answers "yes" if his fat wife asks him if she looks fat in a dress. doesn't necessarily mean that he's insulting her, just keeping it 100.
    He came in like a bawse,but dude is waiting to die.I see that from a million miles away

hmm...
    The Hound isn't dead until we see him dead

agreed but the odds didn't look too well for him...

Stannis is the true heir to Ned since he doesn't want to expose Jon Snow.Jon Snow doesn't have the clout to claim the throne.I don't think Ned wanted to hide Jon just to go against his friend for the throne

Robert would have killed Jon and Neds family.....well more than who's already dead

The TL matches on Jon and the rebellion.It was 17 yrs ago in season 1.

Why would Daenrys being Jon's aunt be weird? They don't even know of each other anyway.They're not even near the same place.

The red ? watching him could mean many thinks,but she looked at Robert's bastard the same way.Not conclusive but was enough to make me suspicious

Ned established dark hair was stronger than the blonde hair genetically.That's why Cersei;s kids having blonde hair was a clue that they were ? kids

The Starks' dark hair would be stronger than the Targareyen's blonde hair

Targareyens are resistant but can be burned or killed by fire still.Look at how Daenrys brother died

I won't spoil anything but there's more details in the books and whole scenarios that support it.There is a connection between Rhaegar and ned's sister and if she was pregnant it would probably have to be by him because she was "kidnapped" and w/ him at the time.

Now in all fairness there are ppl who don't buy it but there are hella clues

We'll see
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    And show wise I think the best swords/hands gotta be:

Ser Barristan Selmy

he's legendary, but he's getting old though, right? could be the best in his prime though.
    Syrio (with a wood sword no less)

i think that he might be the best, but he's probably dead. i heard that he was not the ? to ? with in the book(s).
    Brienne of Hands

she's bad, but she caught jaime and the hound when they weren't 100%, so i don't know.
    Loras Tyrell

why am i thinking that it was once said in the show that loras beat jaime in a sword fight? am i remembering correctly, or am i just tripping? he still got his ass kicked by brienne though.
    Bronn

good fighter. very smart and quick. smart and quick > power. would've like to see him fight the mountain, but he's too smart to unnecessarily risk his life. i still think that he would've won. too smart.
    Tormund Giantsbane

good, but i'd put him under bronn. he tko'd alliser but had a little trouble. and he doesn't seem to use any strategy, just brute force like the mountain but with far less power.
    Jon Snow

kid's got heart. he's getting better.
    Hodor

no training. no heart. wasted potential unless you add bran.
    Grey Worm

need to see more.
    Jorah The Simp

taking down a second-in-command dothraki has gotta be impressive, but i'd like to see more of him.
    Jaime got one ? hand now so he's automatically disqualified...

sad but true.
    What's ? up is show-wise Oberyn Martell was prolly the best fighter in all of the land, had it not been for his ? hubris he'd be revered SMMFH.

Agreed, which makes me wonder about his brother(s)...
  • J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    had to go back, guess i wasnt paying attention but the way Red looked at Jon, she knows something..
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Stannis rising. Lannisters looking flabby and sick out there. They got Jamie the one handed and Cersei, lol. Boltons should probably switch sides, homie.

A question for book readers:
    What's the time frame between Robb Stark dying(Lannisters cementing their position at the top) and Tywin dying?

• loch121
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks people weaving all these crazy theories for something that's unfinished is funny. No matter how close you might be, Martin could change it all on a whim just to ? with everybody.

This is what I wanted to say w/ regards to the Jon Snow theories. The show producers said they were shocked by the answer, meaning to me, it wasn't the obvious one w/ Rheagar we'd all suspect. Plus I don't see how a first born "bastard" doesn't have any of his fathers features be it pale skin, white hair, purple eyes, height or something definitive. I think he's going to deviate w/ this one.

GRRM doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to let fans dictate his next moves, he's one of those "just when you thought you had him figured out - he takes a left turn" types, which is why Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Oberyn Martell, Joffrey, Tywin dying were so surprising. Reading the old reviews from book 1 & 3 nobody expected Robb Stark dying or even Ned Stark. GRRM even trolled when they tried to predict his release dates on his last 2 books, I think he's going to do it again on the next one or at least have the show do something else.

Another hint was on this season's premier when Oberyn the human pinata was 1st talking to Tyrion and said that His brother law, Rhaegar took up with another woman

All 1st episode all 1st episode (Lux voice)
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jon Snow is Rhaegar's son. At the Tower of Joy, Ned nearly died, taking 7 of his men to ? 3 Kingsguards....only Ned and his boy Howland Reed survived out of the seven. Now ask yourself something.....Lyanna was in the tower......why would 3 Kingsguard be guarding Ned Stark's sister when a full blown war is going on? Think about the show right now....do you think Jaime Lannister and his Kingsguard brothers would EVER abandon Tommen and the royal Lannister family in the middle of a damn rebellion.......NAH. There's your answer right there. It had to be some DEFCON, Area 51, Manhattan Project type shiit they were protecting and being Rhaegar's last remaining child when all the other Targaryen kids were dead is right up that alley.
  • Maalik
    Options
    Another hint....George Martin likened Dorne to the real life country of Wales (with a dash of Spain tossed in). Lyanna gave birth in Dorne (if the theory is true).

As @Sion said, the books are based on the War of the Roses. The guy who ended the War of the Roses......Henry Tudor.......was born to a teenaged mother in Wales and spent his life in hiding before becoming King.

Remember Wales = Dorne. Do you think that's a coincidence? I don't.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Jon Snow is Rhaegar's son. At the Tower of Joy, Ned nearly died, taking 7 of his men to ? 3 Kingsguards....only Ned and his boy Howland Reed survived out of the seven. Now ask yourself something.....Lyanna was in the tower......why would 3 Kingsguard be guarding Ned Stark's sister when a full blown war is going on? Think about the show right now....do you think Jaime Lannister and his Kingsguard brothers would EVER abandon Tommen and the royal Lannister family in the middle of a damn rebellion.......NAH. There's your answer right there. It had to be some DEFCON, Area 51, Manhattan Project type shiit they were protecting and being Rhaegar's last remaining child when all the other Targaryen kids were dead is right up that alley.

You obviously didn't understand the point Sion was making. He wasn't saying that the theories aren't credible. He's saying they don't matter. You can pick every little tidbit of info and piece it into whatever you want. People have been doing that for years, but guess what? None of that means anything if Martin decides he wants take it in a way that's opposite everything people are coming up with. Then all those credible theories become meaningless.
  • Maalik
    Options
    Martin's not gonna change the story because some people put the pieces together. That's what happens when you publish a book in 1996 and you still ain't finished the series in 2014. If he could put out more than one book every six years, nobody would have figured it out.
  • loch121
    Options

This is what I wanted to say w/ regards to the Jon Snow theories. The show producers said they were shocked by the answer, meaning to me, it wasn't the obvious one w/ Rheagar we'd all suspect. Plus I don't see how a first born "bastard" doesn't have any of his fathers features be it pale skin, white hair, purple eyes, height or something definitive. I think he's going to deviate w/ this one.

GRRM doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to let fans dictate his next moves, he's one of those "just when you thought you had him figured out - he takes a left turn" types, which is why Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Oberyn Martell, Joffrey, Tywin dying were so surprising. Reading the old reviews from book 1 & 3 nobody expected Robb Stark dying or even Ned Stark. GRRM even trolled when they tried to predict his release dates on his last 2 books, I think he's going to do it again on the next one or at least have the show do something else.

I didn't see where they said they were shocked.

In the article I read it said he GRRM asked "Who's Jon Snow's mother?" and they gave their answer and GRRM didn't give the answer he just smurked or laughed and then granted them the show
  • loch121
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Martin's not gonna change the story because some people put the pieces together. That's what happens when you publish a book in 1996 and you still ain't finished the series in 2014. If he could put out more than one book every six years, nobody would have figured it out.

GRRM has already said he won't change plot twists just because fans figured it out

He said that's why Lost went off the rails because ppl had figured out the end by like the 2nd ep

So they started departed from their original story just not to do what the correct predictions were saying

• Maalik
    Options

GRRM has already said he won't change plot twists just because fans figured it out

He said that's why Lost went off the rails because ppl had figured out the end by like the 2nd ep

So they started departed from their original story just not to do what the correct predictions were saying

I remember him saying that...

It would be stupid to change 20 years of hard work because some fans figured it out. Knowing GRRM, he'll still flip everything on you entirely. Maybe Jon IS Rhaegar's son but it won't matter because he'll die fighting the Others, defending the realm. He'll probably never see the throne and only a few people will know he's of royal blood.
  • loch121
    Options

I remember him saying that...

It would be stupid to change 20 years of hard work because some fans figured it out. Knowing GRRM, he'll still flip everything on you entirely. Maybe Jon IS Rhaegar's son but it won't matter because he'll die fighting the Others, defending the realm. He'll probably never see the throne and only a few people will know he's of royal blood.

I hope Snow doesn't die but from very little I looked into for fear of spoiling it this show is gonna get way bigger and a lot of the shows will be more like the 9th ep and finale this season

• loch121
    Options
    I must say that GOT has the most mythology out of any goat show of recent yrs

GOT is Star Wars epic.

While I always been more of a gangster,sci fi,or horror,GOT has made me like that dungeons and dragons ?

I never watched LOTR or Harry Potter

I must say I slide GOT in there with the best shows of recent yrs.

We now have a holy 4, instead of a trinity

The Wire,The Sopranos,Breaking Bad,and Game Of Thrones
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    You're assuming that GRRM specifically planned out the storyline to be the way people are guessing. A lot of these things people are tying together is just the result of speculation. Martin couldn't go in a different direction and he wouldn't be changing anything really.
  • Juttythe3rd
    Juttythe3rd Members Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thats pretty sick
  • loch121
    Options
    I'm sure this was posted,but best tweet ever.
    tumblr_n7hppjXVo51qze4tso1_500.jpg
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If jojen knew what would happen, why didn't he tell anyone else? A little heads up about those corpses could have gone a long way

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darius wrote: »
    If jojen knew what would happen, why didn't he tell anyone else? A little heads up about those corpses could have gone a long way

1. wouldn't change his death

2. they wouldn't go
  • loch121
    Options
    he said their guess was an educated guess and they got it right.What other answer could they have given but Ned's sister? It's the only real theory so if they were educating themselves and studying clues they had to have said Ned's sister https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPBc_5CPeyA&feature=kp
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finally watching the finale.... Hey ? was trill as ? when homie on the horse came outta nowhere to slice dude rushing the King...
This discussion has been closed.