The Mask You Live In (a study of masculinity) (trailer)

Options

Comments

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Feminism has become a scapegoat for a lot of these hyper-defensive ? .

Just because certain feminists ( extremists ) may raise points that are consistent with ideas of ridding our society of personality types and traits that are dangerous, unnecessary and/or non-applicable in the 21st century doesn't mean that any attempt to critically evaluate our society's affects on our psyches is malicious.

Androgynous, comprehensive human beings > This "Alpha Male" construct. It's really not even debatable.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    I apologize for the mini essay, but I think it's worth reading

In order to find out what the purpose behind this Documentary is, you have to look at the filmmaker and the producers
    Hmmmm....
    The person behind the documentary is this woman, Jennifer Siebel Newsom

She is founder and CEO of The Representation Project
    which is a film studio that finances it's own projects with the purpose of "deconstructing" gender stereotypes"

Now she doesn't have to come outright and say she's a feminist, but actions speak louder than words. ]One of the main feminist goals is the "deconstructing of masculinity" feminists believe that a way to achieve their objectives is to remove the threat of staunch resistance that would come from rebellious males. Feminist believe that the ideal and default behaviors of people are feminine and that the rugged, rebellious, aggressive natures of males are a put on or constructed and thus invalid. Feminist try to promulgate the fact that their is essentially no difference between males and females, and the shift is making normal feminine behaviors the default, and making "masculine behavior" an outlier and perhaps even a mental disorder, which is why you heard Depression linked to masculinity numerous times just in the trailer.
    Straw man. You openly say you don't know whether she is a feminist or not but then attach all these labels and ideas to her in order To somehow discredit her, because as we know once something has been labeled "feminine" or someone a "feminist" then we can stick our fingers in our ears and scream LALALALLALALALALLAALALA
    The objective is to essentially make boys more like girls, and successful boys are those that act more like girls. You see this is the school systems, where the learning style is more suited to females, rote memorization, sitting in desks all day. Boys are high energy, and it gets expressed in various ways, including aggression.
    Emasculated boys, boys that are told that aggression, rebellion, "to be a man" are males that are later in life more easily controlled, thus you have a more easily controlled environment.
    Wrong again. The objective is to make boys healthy adults. Many people are coming in here railing about masculinity but we are talking about the issue hypermaculinity which is typically unhealthy for the development of young boys.

Also ALL children are high energy and don't want to sit still all day but there is no educational system in the world that teaches kids as they run around doing whatever they want.

As far as these feminized concers of learning...are these innately feminine or are you just assigning that? That is another issue. People have assigned certain things as feminine when it's not, that's part of the problem here.

You basically have Boys who are hitting puberty experiencing an sudden onrush of chemicals in their bodies and they spend the next years of their lives learning how to navigate these feelings. Testosterone naturally makes us aggressive, more rebellious. The problem that we have is our "Boys Culture" is that we do not have a Rite of Passage from Boyhood to Manhood, so essentially young males are left vulnerable to negative messages or conditioning.
    Sensible posting here.
    That said we aren't discussing simple boyhood stuff like slap boxing and play wrestling but overaggressive behaviors.
    Be a Man is not a toxic phrase, because that is essentially what that boy is going to become.
    And here is another issue.
    What is a MAN?
    Well technically every boy will become a man because all a man consists of is a boy who underwent puberty and had the physical changes associated with males.

Any sort of value that is being placed on that is decided by the society and the culture in which that male came on age in.

For instance, my Swahili professor was from Kenya, they had rites of passage but he fully understood that they didn't really mean anything outside of his village. It's just like Jews having a Bar Mitzvah, it means something to their community but to the larger society it doesn't mean anything.

The value of rites of passage come from teaching a kid how to fit in with his community. Which is what I have been talking about here for awhile.

So we not that far off really.
    Now her husband, Gavin Newsom, is the current lt gov of California, and before that was mayor of San Francisco, he has obvious ambitions to be governor of California, and perhaps even higher political ambitions beyond that.
    Yeah this isn't relevant.
    These two things may seem to be unrelated, but if you believe that a husband and wife team act without coordination one to another, that is foolish thinking.

I know that you trust White people, far as you can throw them. I know that White ? are more devious than their male counterparts, and the white feminist is least trustworthy of all white ? .
    I've already addressed this issue of feminism but..
    "A broken clock is right twice a day" not everything white people say is a lie or miseducation.

That's another issue we have here. Let's not get in the habit of sticking our fingers in our ears because the messenger is white or female because it's not really wholly relevant.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    BEAM wrote: »
    all i am actually saying is to leave the ? boys alone all that over the top defensive ? is just natural chest pounding all males do that ? until they grow out of it, just leave the boys alone and support them with proper discipline that's it we don't need to experiment with boyhood.

Pounding "BE A MAN! DON'T CRY!" into a young male's skull is what's disruptive to natural maturity.
    Let that lil ? grow up to a human being, instead of what certain societies believe a "man" to be.

? are the most successful people steve jobs, bill gates, trump, buffet these people are ? .

I'll give you Steve Jobs. But Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Now you're just making ? up.

bill gates was ruthless and warren buffet disowned his daughter. they sound like ? to me

we need men and their needs to be an idea of what manhood is little boys just crying for no good reason is ? men have always cried but we cried when we had a reason to.

A boy is going to be a man and his family will look to him for strength in trouble if we teach this boy to break and cry at rough times than he will not be fit to reassure his family in bad times. Something goes wrong daddy crying mommy crying. gtfoh

Nobody should be crying for no good reason. That's the problem here. Who said anything about crying for no reason?

This ? is deeper than crying.

These kids out here are damaged, very damaged. Many feel like nobody cares about them, that they can't express sadness or vulnerability without being perceived as being "weak" or "soft".

I been in contact with emotionally crippled kids, this ? is real and it's destroying boys by the thousands.

You'll be surprised at how much words of encouragement and simple listening can help a kid's life. There's some sensitive ass thugs out here frontin like they killers and tough guys when they just scared, confused boys.

I see where you're coming from, and these kids dont feel, they know nobody cares...
    When u live in a society where, there's more money going into building prisons, than schools, or better housings, n communities.then these kids know .
    These kids are damaged because of the enviroment theyre from. No words of encouragement n listening will fully help a child permantely, if they have to go back to the same ? up enviroments. Its actually tougher .
    The common denominator is fixing these kids enviroment. Instead of focusing on how these kids are acting, we should focus on why .

Their environment is what is pressing upon them, all types of maladaptive behaviors are being branded "manliness" and creating this false sense of hyper-masculinity as being normative and expected.

That false sense of masculinity is created to counter act the fact that young black males n darker skinned latinos r being emasculated . Its a defense mechanism. Ppl wanna focus on the defensive mechanism, instead of why there's a defensive mechanism in the 1st place..

And all this is based on.....?
    all i am actually saying is to leave the ? boys alone all that over the top defensive ? is just natural chest pounding all males do that ? until they grow out of it, just leave the boys alone and support them with proper discipline that's it we don't need to experiment with boyhood.

Pounding "BE A MAN! DON'T CRY!" into a young male's skull is what's disruptive to natural maturity.
    Let that lil ? grow up to a human being, instead of what certain societies believe a "man" to be.

? are the most successful people steve jobs, bill gates, trump, buffet these people are ? .

I'll give you Steve Jobs. But Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Now you're just making ? up.

bill gates was ruthless and warren buffet disowned his daughter. they sound like ? to me

we need men and their needs to be an idea of what manhood is little boys just crying for no good reason is ? men have always cried but we cried when we had a reason to.

A boy is going to be a man and his family will look to him for strength in trouble if we teach this boy to break and cry at rough times than he will not be fit to reassure his family in bad times. Something goes wrong daddy crying mommy crying. gtfoh

Nobody should be crying for no good reason. That's the problem here. Who said anything about crying for no reason?

This ? is deeper than crying.

These kids out here are damaged, very damaged. Many feel like nobody cares about them, that they can't express sadness or vulnerability without being perceived as being "weak" or "soft".

I been in contact with emotionally crippled kids, this ? is real and it's destroying boys by the thousands.

You'll be surprised at how much words of encouragement and simple listening can help a kid's life. There's some sensitive ass thugs out here frontin like they killers and tough guys when they just scared, confused boys.

WELL for those boys they would need serious mental help because clearly the home situation is ? up. I am speaking of the average boy from the average american family he does not need to be turned into a panty waste men/boys have always found ways to express emotion when needed we don't need any social experiment to teach us anything leave ? alone.

What the hell is the "average boy, from the average American family"?

the child of a happy marriage or a child with both decent parents around and there is no excessive drama most of these thugs you believe are carrying around confused little boys inside don't come from good families.

and on a side note i don't believe it's always a good thing to try and help children too overcome every emotional issue they face. let them learn constructive ways to deal with emotional issue on their own.

Reality is kids, specifically boys, are being socialized into sociopathic behavior by each other (peer pressure, bullying and the like) and their elders. You can talk about parenting all day but a kid will try to fit in with his environment everytime.

leave the kids alone. surviving bullying breeds character in the real world there will always be bullies and learning to resist peer pressure is also something we learn as we get older. i will say once again leave the ? kids alone

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1280625/Bullying-good-children-Study-finds-fight-popular.html

You choosing to not deal with the issue. Some kids fight back and all is well, some kids shoot up schools, some join gangs, how they get there isn't on their own but what they are taught.

i am not seeing an issue some kids will fall by the wayside things have pretty much always been this way and MOST boys grew up to be perfectly fine men. leave it alone.

Suicides inclining, violence more disproportionate than ever before, mental illness, alcoholism, drug abuse....I guess that's okay?

So black men are not constantly emasculated in this society???

... based on?

I had a long response to this but it got eaten and I don't feel like retyping it

Suffice it to say that this was a pretty ignorant post
  • jono
    Options
    p-tavern wrote: »
    I think the base level you have to break this all down to is the type of economic system, and thus de facto survival system, that America operates on.

A lot of these aggressive attitudes are handed down by men who are being forced to look out for themselves and families first. They impart the ideals they feel the younger men will need to carry with them to make it in a "me first" survival system. Even if they'd like to be "let's all get along and work together," you still have to be looking over your shoulder and making sure you don't get taken advantage of or shortchanged. The system is set up to benefit cutthroat and aggressive behavior, even when these actions aren't necessarily physical or violent.

If the majority of people become passive, it just makes it that much easier for the aggressive ones to come and take what they want, especially those that have positioned themselves to power (the filmmaker's husband is multimillionaire businessman and high level politician, see how this all seems to tie together a bit.)

The conditioning they're suggesting would be fine in a different societal structure, but here, all I think they're really going to do is do what xxCivicxx said "produce better worker drones" and make people more easy to push around. Because honestly, these people aren't making this doc or pushing these ideas out of the goodness of their heart either.
    Who does the end result benefit most??

Now none of this is to say that we don't have problems to address on the subject, I'm simply speaking on this trailer and its message/motives for now.

Conspiracy theories aside this is a good post.

We have a system that prides itself on competition and aggressive behavior...in certain areas but not in others and at certain times but not others, that can lead to a lot of...confusion.

Certain kids are taught to be aggressive and take what they want but they are also taught the legal means of doing so. You could argue they also have access to resources that help them achieve goal as well.
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What I think needs to be kept in mind here and everywhere else that these types of discussions take place, is that human nature does not, and can it, change at the same pace as society.
    You can draw up the perfect blueprint, but you can't control how people will instinctively act and react. You will never artificially "condition" out human nature, and therefore you must build around it, not try to force it to fit your mold. We need to be realistic, not idealistic, lest we ignore root problems and begin treating symptoms rather than underlying illness.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

Just because certain feminists ( extremists ) may raise points that are consistent with ideas of ridding our society of personality types and traits that are dangerous, unnecessary and/or non-applicable in the 21st century doesn't mean that any attempt to critically evaluate our society's affects on our psyches is malicious.

Androgynous, comprehensive human beings > This "Alpha Male" construct. It's really not even debatable.

And you still defend it. You can really believe whatever you want but "androgyny" is a European concept that has more to do with Rome and Greece than anything black. Those androgynous men ? eachother and ? on their women. Is that what you want?

Since the onset of 2nd wave feminism the black community has more broken homes in single mother households than ever before in history but I'm sleep though
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    This yet another reason why I think all men should be required to lift weights. I can feel the lack if testosterone in yalls posts. If y'all had even a bit of muscle mass on y'all you would be smacking yourselves for these posts y'all are making. You all think in very feminine ways already

And that's honest to ? truth
  • p-tavern
    Options
    I think the base level you have to break this all down to is the type of economic system, and thus de facto survival system, that America operates on.

A lot of these aggressive attitudes are handed down by men who are being forced to look out for themselves and families first. They impart the ideals they feel the younger men will need to carry with them to make it in a "me first" survival system. Even if they'd like to be "let's all get along and work together," you still have to be looking over your shoulder and making sure you don't get taken advantage of or shortchanged. The system is set up to benefit cutthroat and aggressive behavior, even when these actions aren't necessarily physical or violent.

If the majority of people become passive, it just makes it that much easier for the aggressive ones to come and take what they want, especially those that have positioned themselves to power (the filmmaker's husband is multimillionaire businessman and high level politician, see how this all seems to tie together a bit.)

The conditioning they're suggesting would be fine in a different societal structure, but here, all I think they're really going to do is do what xxCivicxx said "produce better worker drones" and make people more easy to push around. Because honestly, these people aren't making this doc or pushing these ideas out of the goodness of their heart either.

Now none of this is to say that we don't have problems to address on the subject, I'm simply speaking on this trailer and its message/motives for now.

We have a system that prides itself on competition and aggressive behavior...in certain areas but not in others and at certain times but not others, that can lead to a lot of...confusion.

Certain kids are taught to be aggressive and take what they want but they are also taught the legal means of doing so. You could argue they also have access to resources that help them achieve goal as well.

Personally, I can't take anything backed by people in power at face value. You don't get to the top by looking out for the middle and bottom. It all goes back to the way our power structure is set up.
  • jono
    Options
    What I think needs to be kept in mind here and everywhere else that these types of discussions take place, is that human nature does not, and can it, change at the same pace as society.
    You can draw up the perfect blueprint, but you can't control how people will instinctively act and react. You will never artificially "condition" out human nature, and therefore you must build around it, not try to force it to fit your mold. We need to be realistic, not idealistic, lest we ignore root problems and begin treating symptoms rather than underlying illness.

This may be true but we aren't talking about human nature but ABNORMAL behaviors caused by unnecessary pressures and unrealistic ideals of masculinity.

Personally, I can't take anything backed by people in power at face value. You don't get to the top by looking out for the middle and bottom. It all goes back to the way our power structure is set up.

Well...that's also true but the positive thing about folks trying to hold you down is that they often hold themselves down too. That said, many won't try it and these people have nothing really to gain. They already have the lifestyle they want.

You don't make it far in political office without bending and checking your own pride at the door b
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    the mask is there for a reason and should stay, the kind of masculinity these people are against is childish masculinity, undeveloped masculinity. It is a needed part stop on the journey to manhood and full masculinity some won't make it but the weak perish that's the all pervading law of nature.

the bold are direct contradictions of each other. A sign of maturity is being able to walk around without a mask, comfortable in who you are and not letting other people's comments about who you are overreact emotionally but instead logically.

There is no contradiction all I basically said was let boys be boys until they are no longer boys and the mask is part of being a boy.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    A lot of ya'll focus on the effects instead of the actual causes which is the exact recipe for consistent failure when problem solving

Feminism destroys everything it touches(from whole societies down to black male/female dynamics) yet you ? still embrace it while feminists continue to ? on and villify y'all. Many feminists believe that the black male is essentially the boogeyman, they are not trying to help you no matter how much you play nice

Co sign
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    And you still defend it. You can really believe whatever you want but "androgyny" is a European concept that has more to do with Rome and Greece than anything black. Those androgynous men ? eachother and ? on their women. Is that what you want?

So the instances in which you believe something to have happened that augment your fear are the only outcomes associated with the idea altogether? Yeah, that's not how this works.

Since the onset of 2nd wave feminism the black community has more broken homes in single mother households than ever before in history but I'm sleep though

Feminism isn't the only thing that's "happened" to America that contributes to whatever you're having gripes with. You're attempting to blame everything you don't like about a set of phenomena as dynamic as family and personal development being impacted by society, culture, population, etc, over Decades, if not Centuries.. on feminism.

Your narrow-mindedness is on a hundred right now.
  • jono
    Options

I don't totally agree with the androgynous part but over all yeah you are right.

We have a significant problem, especially in the black community of having a one size fits all concept of what a man is when it is not that simple.

We don't allow for differing opinions, personality traits, occupations, manners of dress and body/verbal language, tones of voice all sorts of things and wen someone doesn't fit that we want to exclude them.

The issue then becomes when someone had been excluded or feels they are on the verge of exclusion they begin to overcompensate and change their behaviors to meet this arbitrary norms.

If we say all men are circles, then you can't be a triangle or a rectangle and be considered a man (all men are circles).

So what is a male rectangle or triangle to do? Accept that he isn't a man or try his damnedest to go against his own nature and try to become as circular as possible? Neither is necessary but the latter causes significant mental anguish thus...the mask we live in, triangles and squares pretending they are circles because they are told all men are circles.

The fact is men come in many different shapes, they aren't all the same and it should be okay to say this but for some reason it's not...that's the real shame.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall can go against you natural programming if you want to. I'm not.

Men and women are different for a reason. The day we stop acting like were not will be sad day for mankind as a whole. Maybe even the end.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @jono what is hypermasculinity? I chose this word out of your response because it is foundation of your argument, I'm not going to repost the whole thing.

since you use "hyper-" which is a medical prefix, I expect a medical explanation.

However, in lieu of you not being able to provide me one, because there isn't one, it isn't an actual term that means anything, I will explain.

hypermasculinity is a term constructed by feminists or feminist adjacents to lump together any typical male behavior that they find threatening.

Typically, feminists find male behavior that they can't readily control to be dangerous. I know, I have dated two feminists, am currently in a relationship with one and it's the theme that undergirds any and all of their arguments, statements about masculinity. They are scared of any "typical" male behavior because the narrative is that men are dangerous to women, but women need men so the only solution in their eyes is to engineer boys and turn them into males that are more easily controlled.

Brief sidebar, females tend to loath males that are easily controlled because there lies no challenge. As these males capitulate to every whimsy of their partner, the woman begins to feel more like a mother than a girlfriend or wife, which is why they'll either cheat with, or be in relationships with men like myself because I make them work.

The phrase "Be a Man" plays out differently in different spaces, but the phrase always remains the same. The Man, is an identity that is forged. No boy naturally becomes a man, because across societies, the role of the man implies discipline, service to nation or community, and to be security it is the role Order.

I work with boys, particularly Black boys from middle school through high school , so this is my area of profession.

I've observed how boys naturally seek out Order, but because we lack Rites of Passage cultures int he United States most boys will not develop that mentality unless they join a team sport and/or the military.

So being a man has definition, although with some variance, but typically serve the same purpose.

Unless you are one of those savage ? ? tribes that molest little boys and turn them into "wives" Scust.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These hoes are fat and nobody wants to touch them.
  • p-tavern
    Options

This may be true but we aren't talking about human nature but ABNORMAL behaviors caused by unnecessary pressures and unrealistic ideals of masculinity.

Well...that's also true but the positive thing about folks trying to hold you down is that they often hold themselves down too. That said, many won't try it and these people have nothing really to gain. They already have the lifestyle they want.

You don't make it far in political office without bending and checking your own pride at the door b

The detrimental behavior, namely aggression, they want to avoid isn't abnormal at all, its the normal and natural response to abnormal outside factors. That is why I said we need to factor in human nature from the very beginning, because that isn't going to change no matter how bad we think the way it gets expressed might be.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    These hoes want money from the government to pay for their bad decisions they made with their vaginas.

What's wild is they call the government patriarchal, but they run to it for money when they make poor decisions. Guns were invented by men, which are used to force men to pay taxes which in turn feed their babies.

Women should love men.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "dont let nobody disrespect u."
    so now u got ? fightin at the slightest slight cause they pride hurt..

that aint alpha male ? ..
    thats a ? havin a tantrum..

thats ? ? ..
    leave it to zombie to cosign that ? ? ..

go read a book.. do some research or somethin ? ..

that's cuz ? don't know what pride is or what disrespect is.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    That be an ? ? was dumb.

I never heard a man that's well respected by others say that.

A prideful man would let failure get them down and just quit. Prideful men is the reason for great advancement in Technology medicine etc.

But a man that don't have pride would give up and not keep striving to be great.

I

there are two definitions of pride.

one being happy with his accomplishments an the other is false superiority
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know whats crazy these same feminist still want a ? to ? them ? ,they want to ? their men,want to have their ? slapped and want a ? to bust in them. They are walking contradictions lol.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »
    You know whats crazy these same feminist still want a ? to ? them ? ,they want to ? their men,want to have their ? slapped and want a ? to bust in them. They are walking contradictions lol.

That's their eggs talking, and what their eggs want is what they really want, whether they know it or not.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Feminist believe that the ideal and default behaviors of people are feminine and that the rugged, rebellious, aggressive natures of males are a put on or constructed and thus invalid.

Some of the traits that people consider to be 'feminine' are superior to the traits people consider 'masculine', in my opinion, but I don't consider them to be feminine traits.
    Feminist try to promulgate the fact that their is essentially no difference between males and females

What psychological differences naturally exist between the two aren't necessarily what most people would assume, in my opinion.

You basically have Boys who are hitting puberty experiencing an sudden onrush of chemicals in their bodies and they spend the next years of their lives learning how to navigate these feelings. Testosterone naturally makes us aggressive, more rebellious.

I think this is an over-simplification, if not wrong. Some studies have actually shown testosterone increasing altruistic behavior and there was one study done that suggested women are less altruistic toward neighbours than men because prehistoric men were more likely to live in villages they were raised in with people they were distantly related to and women were more likely to move to the villages of mates where they were not distantly related to most of the people so they're focus is more likely to be on their family instead of the community at large (I'm not claiming the reverse and I don't know how much should be put into these studies or what they really imply, just saying that the idea that men are less empathetic because they have more testosterone might be an over-simplification, if not flat out wrong).

Be a Man is not a toxic phrase, because that is essentially what that boy is going to become.

It is when someone is considered less deserving of respect as a man for being less resilient, dominant, aggressive, capable etc. A male adult can't be anything other than a man.

Women are wired to act on emotion because they have maternal instincts.

Men have the same paternal instincts that women do, they inherit them from their mothers.
    That is why we love our moms because she always love us no matter what.

Some mothers are cruel, aggressive and uncaring, some fathers are compassionate, gentle and loving.

They may not disagree with what they see as feminism for the same reasons I do but I consider what virtually everyone means by 'feminism' to be an inherently inconsistent, empirically false and anti-egalitarian world view.

Most of these boys are just reacting to an increasingly feminized school system that tries to breed any and all aggressiveness out of them

I think the school system should be geared against aggression and competitiveness (all forms of aggression and competitiveness, not just physical). I don't know what the ripple effects would be but I think it would be better if human beings were incapable of experiencing anger.
  • jono
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    @jono what is hypermasculinity? I chose this word out of your response because it is foundation of your argument, I'm not going to repost the whole thing.

since you use "hyper-" which is a medical prefix, I expect a medical explanation.
    Alright then:
    Ihyper-
    pref.
    1. Over; above; beyond: hyperflexion.
    2. Excessive; excessively: hyperhydration.
    The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/hyper-

However, in lieu of you not being able to provide me one, because there isn't one, it isn't an actual term that means anything, I will explain.

hypermasculinity is a term constructed by feminists or feminist adjacents to lump together any typical male behavior that they find threatening. [/b]

You asked for a definition and now you have one. So I guess all that is irrelevant.
    Typically, feminists find male behavior that they can't readily control to be dangerous. I know, I have dated two feminists, am currently in a relationship with one and it's the theme that undergirds any and all of their arguments, statements about masculinity. They are scared of any "typical" male behavior because the narrative is that men are dangerous to women, but women need men so the only solution in their eyes is to engineer boys and turn them into males that are more easily controlled.
    Here we are again not addressing the issue but talking about feminists and what they believe...
    Brief sidebar, females tend to loath males that are easily controlled because there lies no challenge. As these males capitulate to every whimsy of their partner, the woman begins to feel more like a mother than a girlfriend or wife, which is why they'll either cheat with, or be in relationships with men like myself because I make them work.

And again....
    The phrase "Be a Man" plays out differently in different spaces, but the phrase always remains the same. The Man, is an identity that is forged. No boy naturally becomes a man, because across societies, the role of the man implies discipline, service to nation or community, and to be security it is the role Order.

so what do boys become? Nothing?
    I work with boys, particularly Black boys from middle school through high school , so this is my area of profession.

I've observed how boys naturally seek out Order, but because we lack Rites of Passage cultures int he United States most boys will not develop that mentality unless they join a team sport and/or the military.
    So first you claim order, which would mean some sort of controlled setting- like the military is detrimental because it makes men easy to control but now you say mean seek that? What?
    So being a man has definition, although with some variance, but typically serve the same purpose.

Unless you are one of those savage ? ? tribes that molest little boys and turn them into "wives" Scust.
    "With some variance"....ain't that what I am talking about? What the ? are you arguing?