Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was pretty obvious why he hit himself on the side during that fight. You probably didn't need a complete write up of it, but that was pretty well thought out.
  • jaxn
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I really hope y'all right about Finn being force sensitive. That would be really ? up and weak if they just limited him to a stormtrooper. Probably blatantly racist like only a certain number of minorities can be Jedi's.

Hopefully he will be a jedi, but here are some of my opinions on the movie hinting towards him being force sensitive.

-Finn's name is FN -2187. 2187 was the cell Princess Leia ("the other") was held in in the OT. If I'm not mistaken, It's also the title of a short film George Lucas credits with giving him the idea of "the force"

-The opening battle, Finn, like all stormtroopers, was brain washed as a child for battle. In his first battle, he completely breaks his programming when he sees a fellow trooper die. Seeing another trooper die shouldn't trigger any emotions since they've been programmed for war. He realizes at the time that what they're doing is wrong. Even the General and Phasma are surprised by his behavior. I believe this is when the force first awakened in him based on his reactions.

-Kylo Ren stops and takes a long stare at Finn prior to leaving the planet.. You can argue that he was just wondering why Finn didn't fire on the villagers, or one can argue that he sensed something in Finn.

-Kylo knew immediately that it was Finn who helped Poe escape.

-His skill with the ships weapons system. Finn was a natural even though it was his first time firing weapons from an airship. First with Poe, then with Rey. Rey and Finn are even amazed at how they were able to accomplish what they just did when escaping Jakku. We all know that the force was guiding Luke in the OT when he took down the death star

- It was Finn who suggested they take the Millenium Falcon in the first place, when Rey said it was junk ( nothing major, but I just thought that could've been significant.)

-Maz Kanata took a strange interest in Finn. Even Han says "she's never done that before". Maz is force sensitive

-When the death star was first used, The scene showed Finn hearing screams and then looking up to see the weapon being fired. It then panned to one of the actual planets being destroyed. In my opinion, this was a call back to Obi Wan sensing the death of a planet in the first movie when that death star was first used.

-Maz gave the saber to Finn to give to Rey. She could've easily given the weapon to Han, who actually knew what it was, and had just as much of a chance of meeting up with Rey as Finn. When Finn told Maz he needed a weapon, she looked at him with the saber and said you have one. She also told him that "Rey and BB-8 need you".

-When Finn fought Kylo, there is no way in hell he should've lasted 0.01 seconds against him. The only person I've seen able to use a light saber without being a trained jedi or sith is general grevious and he was a cyborg. I don't think anyone can just pick up a saber and have a duel with padawan, let alone a jedi or sith, regardless if his training isn't complete. The Finn that fought Ren would've destroyed that stormtrooper with the energy weapon.

All of this is just speculation and me hoping that we will get a young black lead jedi for the new series going forward. If you look at it, Finn's journey mirrors Luke's more than anyone else. Folks complain about Rey being able to do everything right of the bat, but perhaps that's intentional. This may not be about Rey's journey alone, but Finn's journey into becoming something more. Finn is seen as the comic relief, the low guy on the totem pole, the "nobody special", but he may just be the one this trilogy is all about. I wouldn't be surprised if he's fully awakened in the force while he fights through the coma. Try looking up some of John Boyega's commentary about his character. His take on Finn and his story is very interesting. I guess we'll find out though.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Went and saw it again and wanted to a dress some of the criticism.
    I hear people saying that it was unrealistic for Finn and Rey to be so close to each other after a short time but it really makes sense when you think about it

Both of the were seperated from their families at a young age, they both were surrounded by strangers or people that were hostile to them and they were both lonely . In fact that is the first thing that Kylo Ren notices when he is trying to force her to show him the map.

Not too mention that being in adverse situations, like war, brings people closer together.

But the thing that really is most noticeable to me was Rey's reaction when Finn came back for her, she has been waiting almost her entire life for her people to come back for her and he is the only person in her life not to abandon her.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One more thing
    I do not think Finn and Rey will have a romantic relationship with each other. They're bond seems to be more of a brother sister relationship, they will be the new Luke and Leia. In fact when they faced Kylo at the end of the movie it was reminiscent of the end of "Return of the Jedi" when Vader threatened Leia, and Luke went off on him almost killing him and almost turning to the darkside.

That was the same type of reaction they have when the see the other seriously hurt.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Rey and Finn will be a couple.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna know more about Lor San Tekka
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    @BlackxChild can you shut the ? up??? alright ? you did not like the ? movie move the ? on
    The fact that you people like ? movies is the reason why ? movies keep being made.... This movie is cinematic garbage.... Episodes 1-3 ? on this.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    I hear people saying that it was unrealistic for Finn and Rey to be so close to each other after a short time but it really makes sense when you think about it

Both of the were seperated from their families at a young age, they both were surrounded by strangers or people that were hostile to them and they were both lonely . In fact that is the first thing that Kylo Ren notices when he is trying to force her to show him the map.

Not too mention that being in adverse situations, like war, brings people closer together.

But the thing that really is most noticeable to me was Rey's reaction when Finn came back for her, she has been waiting almost her entire life for her people to come back for her and he is the only person in her life not to abandon her.
    So now you're trying to justify a stupid story and terrible character development to convince yourself that you liked garbage instead of being honest with yourself.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white715 wrote: »

So now you're trying to justify a stupid story and terrible character development to convince yourself that you liked garbage instead of being honest with yourself.

People are just happy to have another star wars movie they overlook the multitude of problems in the film.
  • Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched it again I wasn't looking for potholes, I just wanted a movie that was going to be fun and that star wars feel. I think you guys need to watch the room, the hateful eight, or the revenant. This was a fun movie that lived up to the original movies, but nothing is above criticism so live your life.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I wanna know more about Lor San Tekka

I wanna know more about the ass drumming gif in your signature
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    I really hope y'all right about Finn being force sensitive. That would be really ? up and weak if they just limited him to a stormtrooper. Probably blatantly racist like only a certain number of minorities can be Jedi's.

Hopefully he will be a jedi, but here are some of my opinions on the movie hinting towards him being force sensitive.

-Finn's name is FN -2187. 2187 was the cell Princess Leia ("the other") was held in in the OT. If I'm not mistaken, It's also the title of a short film George Lucas credits with giving him the idea of "the force"

-The opening battle, Finn, like all stormtroopers, was brain washed as a child for battle. In his first battle, he completely breaks his programming when he sees a fellow trooper die. Seeing another trooper die shouldn't trigger any emotions since they've been programmed for war. He realizes at the time that what they're doing is wrong. Even the General and Phasma are surprised by his behavior. I believe this is when the force first awakened in him based on his reactions.

-Kylo Ren stops and takes a long stare at Finn prior to leaving the planet.. You can argue that he was just wondering why Finn didn't fire on the villagers, or one can argue that he sensed something in Finn.

-Kylo knew immediately that it was Finn who helped Poe escape.

-His skill with the ships weapons system. Finn was a natural even though it was his first time firing weapons from an airship. First with Poe, then with Rey. Rey and Finn are even amazed at how they were able to accomplish what they just did when escaping Jakku. We all know that the force was guiding Luke in the OT when he took down the death star

- It was Finn who suggested they take the Millenium Falcon in the first place, when Rey said it was junk ( nothing major, but I just thought that could've been significant.)

-Maz Kanata took a strange interest in Finn. Even Han says "she's never done that before". Maz is force sensitive

-When the death star was first used, The scene showed Finn hearing screams and then looking up to see the weapon being fired. It then panned to one of the actual planets being destroyed. In my opinion, this was a call back to Obi Wan sensing the death of a planet in the first movie when that death star was first used.

-Maz gave the saber to Finn to give to Rey. She could've easily given the weapon to Han, who actually knew what it was, and had just as much of a chance of meeting up with Rey as Finn. When Finn told Maz he needed a weapon, she looked at him with the saber and said you have one. She also told him that "Rey and BB-8 need you".

-When Finn fought Kylo, there is no way in hell he should've lasted 0.01 seconds against him. The only person I've seen able to use a light saber without being a trained jedi or sith is general grevious and he was a cyborg. I don't think anyone can just pick up a saber and have a duel with padawan, let alone a jedi or sith, regardless if his training isn't complete. The Finn that fought Ren would've destroyed that stormtrooper with the energy weapon.

All of this is just speculation and me hoping that we will get a young black lead jedi for the new series going forward. If you look at it, Finn's journey mirrors Luke's more than anyone else. Folks complain about Rey being able to do everything right of the bat, but perhaps that's intentional. This may not be about Rey's journey alone, but Finn's journey into becoming something more. Finn is seen as the comic relief, the low guy on the totem pole, the "nobody special", but he may just be the one this trilogy is all about. I wouldn't be surprised if he's fully awakened in the force while he fights through the coma. Try looking up some of John Boyega's commentary about his character. His take on Finn and his story is very interesting. I guess we'll find out though.

We addressed most of this earlier in the thread about how all of this is largely acknowledged in the novelization.

And people need to stop acting like Kylo fighting after being shot by the Chewie's bow was supposed to be some small feat. In the prequels during the Jedi massacre montage we saw several Jedi get killed by regular blasters, let alone fight after getting hit. These dudes have the the force at their disposal but they aren't some type of impervious, indestructible beings.
  • Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah Avatar was a beast as far as repeated viewing, but Star Wars is still a great triumph for Disney.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo what do ? see in that avatar movie?
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Kola wrote: »
    Yeah Avatar was a beast as far as repeated viewing, but Star Wars is still a great triumph for Disney.

Avatar was in theaters for 8 months and then had a small theatrical re-release. The fact that Star Wars made this much this fast is an incredible feat.
  • BlackxChild
    Options

What do ? see in Star Wars force awakens?
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

What do ? see in Star Wars force awakens?

what you dont see.
    Or maybe I saw too much...
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Avatar is what brought the 3-d experience that and the visual effects plus more people went to see it as it went on. Star Wars has steadily declined with each week it won't catch Avatar Worldwide but, 1.7 billion domestic is nothing to feel bad about.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options

Respect your speculations, but you can tell this movie is about Rey's journey on being a jedi, I believe Finn will be built to be a stronger character and not just "comic relief" but there were plenty of scenes (especially his fight with Ren in the forest) that he is not gonna be a jedi.

Ren and i'm sure this was touched on, Ren felt Finn being indecisive, had nothing to do with whether Finn had the force in him or not. Jedi's could always feel whatever others felt whether they had the force or not.
  • jaxn
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »

Respect your speculations, but you can tell this movie is about Rey's journey on being a jedi, I believe Finn will be built to be a stronger character and not just "comic relief" but there were plenty of scenes (especially his fight with Ren in the forest) that he is not gonna be a jedi.

Ren and i'm sure this was touched on, Ren felt Finn being indecisive, had nothing to do with whether Finn had the force in him or not. Jedi's could always feel whatever others felt whether they had the force or not.

I disagree, there were plenty of signs in the movie hinting to him being force sensitive. In my opinion, this trilogy is about Finn. In the original trilogy, the story didn't begin and focus on Han Solo. Finn was pretty much our viewpoint into this story, just like Luke. When you take Boyega's comments about Finn's story arc into consideration, you can see why I believe this new trilogy is moreso about him than Rey, even though she's obviously important to the story.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I disagree, there were plenty of signs in the movie hinting to him being force sensitive. In my opinion, this trilogy is about Finn. In the original trilogy, the story didn't begin and focus on Han Solo. Finn was pretty much our viewpoint into this story, just like Luke. When you take Boyega's comments about Finn's story arc into consideration, you can see why I believe this new trilogy is moreso about him than Rey, even though she's obviously important to the story.

Nothing wrong with your speculations...but it's Rey, the last scene ended with her going to train with Luke, who Is still as of now an important part of this trilogy because Ren is looking for him. The old lady told Rey the sword is for her. The forest scene she was able to summon the force to grab the true lightsaber, over Ren, also she was able to use the force to break herself out and tap into Ren's thoughts.

plus just like luke, she got pist during her fight with Ren, and flipped it on Ren and beat him. Similar to what luke did in return of the jedi. As of now, there is no correlation (and I do not mean blood relation) to Finn with Luke in anyway. obviously right off the bat in the orig. trilogy they showed luke having everything to do with the force

and I'm sure it's gonna be unveiled that Rey is luke's daughter
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Visually, that ? was stunning.
  • jaxn
    edited January 2016
    Options

Nothing wrong with your speculations...but it's Rey, the last scene ended with her going to train with Luke, who Is still as of now an important part of this trilogy because Ren is looking for him. The old lady told Rey the sword is for her. The forest scene she was able to summon the force to grab the true lightsaber, over Ren, also she was able to use the force to break herself out and tap into Ren's thoughts.

She said the saber called to her..She also gave the saber to Finn and told him it was a weapon he could use.
    How many people have used a saber as a weapon besides Jedi and Sith? I only know of Grevious. She's being portrayed as someone more powerful in the force than a person who was actually trained in the use of the force. Neither Anakin, nor Luke did this.
    plus just like luke, she got pist during her fight with Ren, and flipped it on Ren and beat him. Similar to what luke did in return of the jedi. As of now, there is no correlation (and I do not mean blood relation) to Finn with Luke in anyway. obviously right off the bat in the orig. trilogy they showed luke having everything to do with the force
    and just like Luke, her anger may have made her the right candidate to be seduced to the darkside. Hell, Klyo Ren was trying to recruit her..
    and I'm sure it's gonna be unveiled that Rey is luke's daughter

that's the point i'm making though. Everyone thinks this story is only about Rey, when in fact, Finn had more of a story arc than anyone else in the film. I'm not sure that going forward, this series will focus only on the skywalker legacy. Seriously, check out some of Boyega's and Abrams inteviews on the characters and story. In my opinion, Rey almost showed hints that she could turn to the dark side if seduced. I wouldn't be surprised if Rey was trained by Luke as a child. (maybe she's his daughter, maybe she isn't) which is why she was able to accomplish some of the things she did in this film. Rey was obviously able to do a bit too much just going by the story that was told so far. All signs would suggest that she's Luke's child, but it may not be that simple.
    Going as far as back as the original trilogy and the three prequels, Sidious always wanted someone more powerful to be his apprentice. He groomed Anakin from a child to become his new apprentice even though he already had Maul and Dooku..In Empire and Return, he wanted Luke to take the place of Vader..If this is following the same formula, Snoke may actually want Rey to aid him against Luke since it seems as though she's more powerful than Kylo Ren. ..I just don't think its as simple as Rey being the hero and Finn being comic relief when you take everything into account, including interviews from the actors

Another thing, the forest fight was significant in my opinion. When Finn was first shown in the presence of Klyo Ren, he was visibly frightened by Ren just looking in his direction. When he saw Kylo taking Rey aboard the ship, he ran towards them with no fear. In the forest, there was no fear in facing Kylo even though he knew he stood no chance. The fight didn't say anything about his future since Finn has yet to be trained (if he is force sensitive). It said more about Kylo not being able to put Finn down in less than five seconds..An untrained, supposedly non force sensitive person was able to have an extended duel with someone trained in the force. Not only last but able to get a hit in on him? That's unheard of. Finn wanted to get away from the First Oder the entire movie, unless Rey's life was in danger. He knows nothing of who he is or his past. His act of bravery in facing his fears in Klyo Ren, may trigger the force calling him , if it already hasn't.( I still believe he heard the force calling him on the battlefield but didn't know what it was). I believe Finn being in a coma is a significant event. The force awakened in Rey when Finn said he couldn't fight with the rebels. When Finn walked out of the door, the saber called to her. She then began to have her visions of what happened to either her, Luke or Kylo. Finn's abandonment triggered the force awakening in Rey. Finn's bravery in facing Kylo Ren may have awakened the force in him. Isn't JJ Abrams behind the show Lost? All I'm saying is, he may be one of the masters of the bait and switch.