• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder what kinda suit you gotta wear to end racism
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Lol Shut that sh*t up RZA. they don't care what you wear. You or your son still won't be above them bullets. The most peaceful protestor in history got killed in a suit. So what does attire got to do with it

Preach I think fame and money has clouded this ? Rza brain. I think he needs some re-education
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bill cosby prove that theres no such thing as a respectable ? in america. there coming after you regardless.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never meet your heroes.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bill cosby prove that theres no such thing as a respectable ? in america. there coming after you regardless.

That's how he feels. Can't change it. He is a idiot.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Woat flow

On the same level as silk the shocker
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    He criticizes people getting shot /assaulted for not dressing like a GQ ad while they go about their daily lives....

The same people he made millions off of while dressed like one of them

large_12-13wu.jpg

I think ya'll are misrepresenting what he's saying. He's not really criticizing victims for how they dressed.
    “When you think about some of the brothers who are being brutalized by the police, you also got to have them take a look, and us take a look, in the mirror, at the image we portray. If I’m a cop and every time I see a young black youth, whether I watch them on TV, movies, or just see them hanging out, and they’re not looking properly dressed, properly refined, you know, carrying himself, conducting himself proper hours of the day—things that a man does, you’re going to have a certain fear and stereotype of them,” he espoused.

Here he's basically just saying that if every time you see a black male with a certain look, be it on tv or in real life, that male is always up to no good, it's only natural that some fear or stereotyping will arise from that. That's absolutely true and not even isolated to black people. As a white dude with a bald head that likes boots and camo if he's ever been mistaken for a Skinhead. That ? happens. He didn't say anywhere that people were wrong for dressing that way. He just said that if we push that image in a way that associates it with negativity, people will eventually come to stereotype everyone who fits that mold. Again, that is 100% true, right or wrong, that's the way of the world. Where I think he's wrong is that he seems to imply that we have more power in pushing that image than we actually do. While I agree the we do bear some of the blame (Ironically ? rapper are probably the worst culprits), the white media is far more responsible for promoting those negative stereotypes.
    “I tell my sons, I say, if you’re going somewhere, you don’t have to wear a hoodie–we live in New York, so a hoodie and all that is all good. But sometimes, you know, button up your shirt. Clean up. Look like a young man. You’re not a little kid, you know what I mean? I think that’s another big issue we gotta pay attention to. Is the image that we portray that could invoke a fear into a white officer, or any officer,” he continued.

For the most part, what he's saying here is not wrong either. Every responsible parent teaches their children this regardless of race. You think white people teach their kids to go into business meetings in whatever casual style of clothing white kids wear these days? Of course not, they teach their kids the same thing that there is a time and place for everything.

I'm not saying Rza is right. We have more than enough evidence out there to know that being well dressed does not save black people from police brutality, but ya'll are misrepresenting what he's saying just so you guys can go on the standard "? rants" that you seem to love so much. He didn't say that Tamir Rice got shot because Rice was dressed like a thug. He said unfortunately certain images of black males have been put out there negatively and you have to know that if you put on that image it will attract negative attention. Right or wrong, that is 100% true. A lot of white people associate dreadlocks with thuggery. Does that mean blacks should stop wearing that hairstyle? Hell no. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that it may attract some negative attention.

My post while shorter was synonymous to yours.
    Problem is the majority only skimmed the thread title. Which is a total frabrication. But thats how these things work nowadays.

Damn, you're right. Most of these ? don't even know what Rza said. They read the lie in the topic title and have been commenting solely on that. Sometimes I forget how dumb most of the ? on this site are.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tragedy1 wrote: »
    I won't comment on the clothes issue but I'll never understand why some people have such a huge issue with 'All Lives Matter' and using that in replace of 'BLM'. I don't understand what's so outrageous about saying that all lives, which by definition includes black lives, matter. How are people genuinely offended by this?

....Then stop trying to. Why can't it be BLM? What's your problem with the black part?
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I don't understand is why Black people don't just wear white skin like everybody else?? You know you're making the police uncomfortable..just wear white.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Woat flow

lol

He had some darts here.....and...... there, but yeah, that nikka was the Wu Silkk the Shocker. That speech impediment flow ain't wavy.

Nikka raps like he talks (and vice versa).
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    I wonder what kinda suit you gotta wear to end racism

A dress.

charles-barkley-dress-1.jpg

Not really. they're targeting blk women too...
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    They givin' RZA that well deserved heat on twitter."

This the kind of ? that really gets on my nerves.

It's a spectacularly bad argument against respectability politics, and the fact that this person felt comfortable making it in public is sad commentary on our times.

No one ever said that respectability politics can save you from an angry racist mob. But this doesn't mean that it doesn't ever work. In fact, the civil rights era makes it abundantly clear that it does indeed work, to some extent.

To be sure, this bad argument against respectability politics doesn't mean that there are no good arguments against it.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    He criticizes people getting shot /assaulted for not dressing like a GQ ad while they go about their daily lives....

The same people he made millions off of while dressed like one of them

large_12-13wu.jpg

I think ya'll are misrepresenting what he's saying. He's not really criticizing victims for how they dressed.
    “When you think about some of the brothers who are being brutalized by the police, you also got to have them take a look, and us take a look, in the mirror, at the image we portray. If I’m a cop and every time I see a young black youth, whether I watch them on TV, movies, or just see them hanging out, and they’re not looking properly dressed, properly refined, you know, carrying himself, conducting himself proper hours of the day—things that a man does, you’re going to have a certain fear and stereotype of them,” he espoused.

Here he's basically just saying that if every time you see a black male with a certain look, be it on tv or in real life, that male is always up to no good, it's only natural that some fear or stereotyping will arise from that. That's absolutely true and not even isolated to black people. As a white dude with a bald head that likes boots and camo if he's ever been mistaken for a Skinhead. That ? happens. He didn't say anywhere that people were wrong for dressing that way. He just said that if we push that image in a way that associates it with negativity, people will eventually come to stereotype everyone who fits that mold. Again, that is 100% true, right or wrong, that's the way of the world. Where I think he's wrong is that he seems to imply that we have more power in pushing that image than we actually do. While I agree the we do bear some of the blame (Ironically ? rapper are probably the worst culprits), the white media is far more responsible for promoting those negative stereotypes.
    “I tell my sons, I say, if you’re going somewhere, you don’t have to wear a hoodie–we live in New York, so a hoodie and all that is all good. But sometimes, you know, button up your shirt. Clean up. Look like a young man. You’re not a little kid, you know what I mean? I think that’s another big issue we gotta pay attention to. Is the image that we portray that could invoke a fear into a white officer, or any officer,” he continued.

For the most part, what he's saying here is not wrong either. Every responsible parent teaches their children this regardless of race. You think white people teach their kids to go into business meetings in whatever casual style of clothing white kids wear these days? Of course not, they teach their kids the same thing that there is a time and place for everything.

I'm not saying Rza is right. We have more than enough evidence out there to know that being well dressed does not save black people from police brutality, but ya'll are misrepresenting what he's saying just so you guys can go on the standard "? rants" that you seem to love so much. He didn't say that Tamir Rice got shot because Rice was dressed like a thug. He said unfortunately certain images of black males have been put out there negatively and you have to know that if you put on that image it will attract negative attention. Right or wrong, that is 100% true. A lot of white people associate dreadlocks with thuggery. Does that mean blacks should stop wearing that hairstyle? Hell no. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that it may attract some negative attention.

My post while shorter was synonymous to yours.
    Problem is the majority only skimmed the thread title. Which is a total frabrication. But thats how these things work nowadays.

Damn, you're right. Most of these ? don't even know what Rza said. They read the lie in the topic title and have been commenting solely on that. Sometimes I forget how dumb most of the ? on this site are.

i know exactly what rza said and coming from him it's hypocrisy
  • King Ghidorah
    King Ghidorah Members Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No discussion necessary here. He's wrong. History has showed me pictures of black men hanging from trees in three piece suits. Look at the book "Without Sanctuary" to see it for yourself. Police either fear or hate ? . Period. Which one isn't my problem.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know what possess a black person to think this way.Harassment, stereotyping and encounters with the cops have zero to do with how a minority is dressed.I guess he missed the video of that old man from the middle East who was visiting his family and got tackled by the pigs who broke his hip.He was not wearing a hoodie.U-? was right about the RZA this whole time.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is he trying to clarify? That's exactly what he said in his original statement. I don't agree with what he said 100%, but it ain't his fault that most ? seem to be too dumb to understand a simple point.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there's obviously some truth to what RZA literally said, and I think I mostly agree with him; but then again, there's obviously much more to what he said, and he didn't allude to any of that, but at the same time, he didn't really have to do so. I highly doubt that RZA is that stupid. Most of the backlash just seems like your everyday ignorant twitter bandwagon ? .

On another note, I didn't know where to post this, but I know there's some cats from philly on here, so if you're in philly and have some free time today (Sunday), stop by Anderson Hall @ Temple University for "The Black Radical Tradition in Our Time: Reclaiming Our Future" conference. It's the last day of the three-day event, and the likes of Cornell West, Jeremiah Wright, Angela Davis, Mumia Abu Jamal (yes, you read that correctly), Sonia Sanchez?, and many others have already spoken, and a lot of good material (American imperialism, black feminism, police brutality, gentrification, white supremacy, etc.) has been covered, but some of the aforementioned will still be here for the last day, and many others will also speak, so check it out. It's a powerful experience, and I only found out about the event by chance. It's also being streamed live, I believe. Follow for more info: theblackradicaltradition.org/