Katt Williams says ancestors were cowards for accepting slavery. Right or wrong?

Options

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other...
    how is the Zoe community economy doing down in Florida?
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Katt was right. His ancestors were cowards for accepting slavery.
    bambu wrote: »
    Looking at the past through a modern lens is problematic. ....

To suggest that blacks did not fight back is incorrect.....

Someone made the point already, but slaves in america were bred in america.....

While south america and the carrbean imported slaves directly from africa....

correct.. they were bred in america..
    they wasnt lettin no trill ? ? tho.. only the cowards..
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Katt was wrong. His ancestors weren't cowards for accepting slavery.
    how is the Zoe community economy doing down in Florida?

What?
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Anyone that thinks their ancestors were cowards is falling into a trap....

We once worshipped our ancestors.....

American slavery was complex.....

To simplify it to cowardice, disregards many important issues and events that shaped our history...

Like zombie said, slavers avoided the warrior classes in Africa....

However, that does not mean that the individuals that they captured were cowards. ....

This is a good intro....

vb7ggx0btp3s.jpg

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other...
    Muhannad wrote: »
    Katt Williams Gives Solutions For Police Brutality And Society

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSGqwVQl_H0

He said that ? looking like a complete ? .. when does he not look like one? ? this ? , he cant even stay outta jail
  • bambu
    Options
    bambu wrote: »
    Looking at the past through a modern lens is problematic. ....

To suggest that blacks did not fight back is incorrect.....

Someone made the point already, but slaves in america were bred in america.....

While south america and the carrbean imported slaves directly from africa....

correct.. they were bred in america..
    they wasnt lettin no trill ? ? tho.. only the cowards..

Actually they were the strongest (physically)

They called them "travelling ? "....

Big dudes that were hired to impregnate plantations and create a new population of strong workers....

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I hate when people be like '? if I was alive back then, I wouldn't have been no slave! They woulda had to ? me!'. It's very easy to say that these days, having never experienced anything remotely close to slavery.

But if you were born a slave - having never known anything else...? you just would have been a slave. That's that.
    Like I said before, how do you explain Spartans, Haitians, maroons in the caribbean and South America etc.? They fought eventhough they were born into slavery. I know it's hard to admit, but I think you should come to grips with the fact the overwhelming majority of your ancestors were slaves. We can't fight against facts, even if the truth hurts sometimes...

Show me where I've posted something - today or in the past - that would suggest that I'm not aware that my ancestors were slaves.

Standing by...
    My bad. Instead of "slaves" I meant to type "cowards".

My point was in order to heal from a traumatic ordeal you have to be honest even if it hurts and messes with your sensibilities. You can lie to yourself to make it more bearable, but the same thing will keep happening.

Maybe your ancestors were "soft as ? fillings" for accepting slavery for 400 years like Katt said.

Gotcha. Yeah, I agree. But I don't think that at all applies to this. In my opinion, this is more a situation of you and others like you lying to yourselves about how you would have handled the ordeal your ancestors found themselves in in order to make yourself feel better.

Agree to disagree.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah he right.

Til this day ? is still showing signs of cowardice.

I'm not super ? by any means. But it's but so much ? can take.

400 years with a boot on your neck? Nah homie that's pressure.

Word, it was hard for me to comprehend how the parents (and other family members) of these unarmed victims were NOT putting in work, once they found out their child was murdered in cold blood. Then I caught wind of these million dollar hush money settlements they were getting, and it all made sense on why they were speaking AGAINST people protesting and rioting for "justice" for their child.

I say that to point out that ? are selling out for a bigger piece of the pie. If you will sell out your own child's spirit for a little money, you're already too far gone. On a lesser scale, a lot of us are too scared to risk our position in the white man's game to say or do anything, especially when there seems to be no reward in sight.
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Haitians won their independence in 1804... Lunion fait la force "unity makes strength" I think in America you didn't have enough unity ... a majority of blacks were just trying to survive here
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some people don't want to hear something that hurts their feelings. Coming to the realization that your ancestors were cowards is hard because what does that make you?
    It's similar to how men rarely admit to losing a streetfight. Nobody wants to admit they got their a*s kicked. They'll make excuses, lie, embellish, omit, do anything but admit to losing a fight.

Everybody wants a lineage, a shared history, something to be proud of. That's why people celebrate national holidays where they fought a war or did something else they could be proud of. Like St. Patrick's day, DDay or even the 4th of July.
    Because of slavery that lineage/ cultural identity was stripped away. What happened to blacks in the "New World" is unique (IMO) because while it wasn't a genocide (in a sense that it wasn't their intention to exterminate blacks) one could argue it was cultural genocide. People went from being Mandingo, Yoruba, Fulani etc. to just being "negroes". That cultural (like names, language, religion, common code, morals etc.) and racial (from a specific tribe to just being a ? ) identity was stripped away. That's hard to accept. If someone says their ancestors were cowards and presents documented facts, they don't want to hear and make excuses...

• Muhannad
    Options
    I hate when people be like '? if I was alive back then, I wouldn't have been no slave! They woulda had to ? me!'. It's very easy to say that these days, having never experienced anything remotely close to slavery.

But if you were born a slave - having never known anything else...? you just would have been a slave. That's that.
    Like I said before, how do you explain Spartans, Haitians, maroons in the caribbean and South America etc.? They fought eventhough they were born into slavery. I know it's hard to admit, but I think you should come to grips with the fact the overwhelming majority of your ancestors were slaves. We can't fight against facts, even if the truth hurts sometimes...

Show me where I've posted something - today or in the past - that would suggest that I'm not aware that my ancestors were slaves.

Standing by...
    My bad. Instead of "slaves" I meant to type "cowards".

My point was in order to heal from a traumatic ordeal you have to be honest even if it hurts and messes with your sensibilities. You can lie to yourself to make it more bearable, but the same thing will keep happening.

Maybe your ancestors were "soft as ? fillings" for accepting slavery for 400 years like Katt said.

Gotcha. Yeah, I agree. But I don't think that at all applies to this. In my opinion, this is more a situation of you and others like you lying to yourselves about how you would have handled the ordeal your ancestors found themselves in in order to make yourself feel better.

Agree to disagree.
    Based on the facts I had to agree with Kat. They chose slavery over death. I never said I would've rebelled during slavery. I think you got me mixed up with someone else. Just because I made a judgement based on facts, doesn't mean I took the moral highground/ imply that I'd do better.

Let's compare that slavery to prison ? (n/h). Everybody is gonna say they would never get turned out and would rather die, but when that situation becomes reality they can have an idea how they would respond but can't known for sure. It might be that they wanna survive and accept their fate. Just like these slaves did. You can have an idea, but won't know for sure until you face that situation. Similar to if you get jammed up and you have to choose between doing 'football numbers' or snitch on someone to reduce your sentence. Everybody is like I won't snitch, but we never know.

For all we know I might have been one of these ? / Stephen from Django type slaves. Or a slave that just accepted his fate. Like I said earlier, that doesn't mean I can't pass judgement on Katt's ancestors.
  • Muhannad
    Options
    I can kinda understand why some people are getting upset by Katt's statement. They feel their people's history basically started 4 centuries ago and apart from their people surviving the 'maafa' (Africa holocaust) they have no authentic national holidays, documented history of bravery or even armed combat or tangible accomplishments outside of entertainment. That's why you have holidays like "Kwanzaa". That's why some people feel the need to claim other people's history and culture like the Egyptians, the Nubians, the Moors etc. Slaves weren't bought from those regions, but that doesn't stop them from claiming these people. If you check a doc like Hidden Colors they even try to claim Chinese and Japanese now. I can see why documentary series like HC does relatively well though. These people want something to be proud of and got tired of seeing/ hearing/ reading they were just slaves. If you don't have a history, why not just latch on to others?
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Y'all take on African enslaved history is ? and from a black and white lense. I'll deal with real scholars on this not on those eating the fruit of their ancestors pain and sacrifices and talking ? about them.
    This is what I'm talking about. This kid didn't refute anything. He basically said he didn't want to hear something being said about his ancestors because it hurts his feelings.
    caddo man wrote: »
    So the cowards were the one that rebelled but lost and the non cowards were the successful ones. Okay, cool!
    There weren't that many rebellions on US soil. There have been skirmishes on a small scale but nothing major. This is documented history.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many slaves were killed fighting and resisting. I guess that fact escapes the minds of those who agree with kat. Further more you had children and women who were easy to control and you can not just expect a man to say ? it and die when he has women and children (even those not his own) depending on him. Dying is the easy and cowardly way. Common sense factor, if they all died we would not be alive today for katt to even have an opinion.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    @Muhannad is someone who fought and lost a coward?
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many ancestors died resisting so...
    Not to mention the many who successfully killed for their freedom...
  • bambu
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There weren't that many rebellions on US soil. There have been skirmishes on a small scale but nothing major. This is documented history.

*misinformation*

1526 San Miguel de Gualdape
    (Spanish Florida, Victorious)

1570 Gaspar Yanga's Revolt
    (Veracruz, New Spain, Victorious )

1712 New York Slave Revolt British Province of New York, Suppressed)

1730 First Maroon War
    (British Jamaica1733 St. John Slave Revolt
    (Danish Saint John, Suppressed)1739 Stono Rebellion (British Province of South Carolina, Suppressed)

1733 St. John Slave Revolt
    (Danish Saint John, Suppressed)

1739 Stono Rebellion
    (British Province of South Carolina, Suppressed)

1741 New York Conspiracy
    (Province of New York, Suppressed)

1760 Tacky's War
    (British Jamaica, Suppressed)

1791 Mina Conspiracy
    (Louisiana (New Spain), Suppressed)

1795 Pointe Coupée Conspiracy
    (Louisiana (New Spain), Suppressed)

1791–1804 Haitian Revolution
    (French Saint-Domingue, Victorious)

1800 Gabriel Prosser
    (Virginia, Suppressed)

1803 Igbo Landing
    (St. Simons Island, Georgia, Suppressed)

1805 Chatham Manor
    (Virginia, Suppressed)

1811 German Coast Uprising
    (Territory of Orleans, Suppressed)

1815 George Boxley
    (Virginia, Suppressed)

1816 Bussa's Rebellion
    (British Barbados, Suppressed)

1822 Denmark Vesey
    (South Carolina, Suppressed)

1831 Nat Turner's rebellion
    (Virginia, Suppressed)

1831–1832 Baptist War
    (British Jamaica, Suppressed)

1839 Amistad, ship rebellion
    (Off the Cuban coast, Victorious)

1841 Creole case, ship rebellion
    (Off the Southern U.S. coast, Victorious)

1842 Slave Revolt in the Cherokee Nation
    (Indian Territory, Suppressed)

1859 John Brown's Raid
    (Virginia, Suppressed)

• StillFaggyAF
    Options
    ^not all of those were in The US
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harriet Tubman said she would have freed more slaves if they knew they were slaves....I believe her

Most of our ancestors didn't know they were slaves....they weren't trying to escape...

The ones who knew they were slaves, are the ones we read about, the nat turners, Gabriel prossers, etc

So they weren't coward, they were unaware or misinformed
  • bambu
    edited August 2016
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    ^not all of those were in The US

Not all, but you do understand that the US was established in 1776.....

& Several states had yet to be incorporated......

Spanish Florida/ New Spain is now Florida. ...

Orleans Provence is Louisiana.....

Indian Territory is now Oklahoma. .....

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Other...
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    Harriet Tubman said she would have freed more slaves if they knew they were slaves....I believe her

Most of our ancestors didn't know they were slaves....they weren't trying to escape...

The ones who knew they were slaves, are the ones we read about, the nat turners, Gabriel prossers, etc

So they weren't coward, they were unaware or misinformed

You don't have to conceive of yourself as being a slave to know that getting your ass beat and seeing your loved ones abused is enough reason to want to either fight or run away..... it is much more likely that most slaves were simply too scared to engage in violence and disobedience
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How long do yall think it took to "brainwash" our ancestors? How many generations passed before all the fighters and runners were eradicated from the masses? It didnt happen overnight.

I get what Kat is saying, and i agree to an extent. But i think some of them didnt know anything other than being a slave so they didnt view it as a completely bad thing.

• MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If our ancestors were cowards....How are we any different today than our ancestors if we let them ? our own and imprison us unfairly.... over and over again... They're abusing our kids on camera... shooting old folks in churches...killing our women but have we stood up yet?.....smh

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can kinda understand why some people are getting upset by Katt's statement. They feel their people's history basically started 4 centuries ago and apart from their people surviving the 'maafa' (Africa holocaust) they have no authentic national holidays, documented history of bravery or even armed combat or tangible accomplishments outside of entertainment. That's why you have holidays like "Kwanzaa". That's why some people feel the need to claim other people's history and culture like the Egyptians, the Nubians, the Moors etc. Slaves weren't bought from those regions, but that doesn't stop them from claiming these people. If you check a doc like Hidden Colors they even try to claim Chinese and Japanese now. I can see why documentary series like HC does relatively well though. These people want something to be proud of and got tired of seeing/ hearing/ reading they were just slaves. If you don't have a history, why not just latch on to others?
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Y'all take on African enslaved history is ? and from a black and white lense. I'll deal with real scholars on this not on those eating the fruit of their ancestors pain and sacrifices and talking ? about them.
    This is what I'm talking about. This kid didn't refute anything. He basically said he didn't want to hear something being said about his ancestors because it hurts his feelings.
    caddo man wrote: »
    So the cowards were the one that rebelled but lost and the non cowards were the successful ones. Okay, cool!

What's there to refute except a broad painted picture of personal opinion?

You didn't mention the Geechee wars at all.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A species first instinct is to survive and figure out a way to thrive. Logic here
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't say our ancestors were cowards, but you have to realize Europe developed faster technologically than Africa did. Africa was on stone age ? weaponry wise when they got conquered by Europe. It was a knife vs a gunfight at that point. That was due to Europeans being the thieves that they are getting gun powder and other technology from Asia. White people do what they do best and that's steal other people ? and turn it against them. Then oppressing them with their white ? religion of Christianity that reinforces white supremacy and keep ? in a oppressive state.