Is Kobe Bryant Top 5 All Time? (List ur top 5)

Options

Comments

• KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope, Kobe's not in that too 5 room
    I feel like these list need to be top 5 I was born and ACTUALLY watched play cause none of us saw Prime Wilt, Prime Big O, even Prime Dr. J. Ijs

I used to be on that too, then I realized that my parents ? mad late don't mean these ? wasn't playing ball fam
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kobe my ? but he aint top 5.

Everybody whose ahead of him has a better resume. Despite Kobe being probably the most skilled player ever and a great scorer he don't have all the accolades to be top 5. Top 10 for sure without a doubt!

35,5 and 5 should've gotten him that MVP idc what anybody says. The ? he did in that season was AMAZING. it aint his fault he aint win.

You put Nash on that team they ain't winning ? either. He willed them to the 7th seed.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ether44mag wrote: »
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell

Bill Russell over lebron kobe olajuwon shaq Bird etc...??? he shot 44% from the floor on a career 14pts a game...I get it he has 11 rings but his team was stacked with 60% of the best talent the nba had in those days that would be like Deandre Jordan going to the GSW and winning 6 rings and all a sudden having people believe he is top 5 center

Bill was a great leader and defender and did alot on the social side of things and people hated wilt so bill was like the champ most people loved but he aint no top 10 player he is like a dennis rodman on steroids but is not a threat on offense

Did you just compare Deandre Jordan to Bill Russell?? Bill Russell averaged 15pts a game and his rebounds were 22.5 a game. The highest Deandre ever averaged in his career in pts was this past season at 12.7 and rebounds it was 15 two seasons ago. Bill could score when asked upon while Deandre is just lobs and dunks. From 1960-1963 Russell was averaging 20 pts a game in the playoffs when he was at his peak...yea not a threat on offense right? That was a horrible horrible analogy using Deandre Jordan smh.

Now the reason I went with Russell was because of his overall impact on that team including his impeccable resume. We can flip it, chop it, and slice it anyway we want to but the FACTS are the Celtics weren't a championship team before he arrived and the following season when he retired they were in the LOTTERY....that's called IMPACT. They were extreme chokers and had a losing playoff record of 10-17. When Russell came? He was the locomotive to that dynasty and made a lot of those guys jobs easier, which was why he was mvp 5x's on a 11x championship team. Not to mention he won rings as a player and a coach....again....IMPACT.

When creating a top list in anything there will always be a player that everybody disagree on, but the fact that you said a guy that averaged 15pts a game on offense is not a threat, then used Deandre Jordan and Dennis Rodman as your primary examples to knock Bill Russell with two guys who were more ineffective on offense? C'mon bro do better smh.
  • prime_time_willy
    Options
    What is keeping Kobe out of the top 5 tho... I haven't gotten the answer yet, the audacity of saying Hakeem Olajuwon over Kobe is enough for me to stop coming in my own thread... Reach levels are extremely high, had MJ wanted to play hoops instead of taking his first hiatus Hakeem wouldn't have any rings, u telling me Hakeem Olajuwon would have 2 rings if MJ was playing those 2 years foh...

We can speculate but we'll never know. The rockets were a nightmare match up for the bulls. Hakeem was literally fouling all of their big men out because they couldn't deal with him. The bulls had a losing record against the Rockets. Even Jordan said he was relieved the Rockets had a hard time coming out of the west before he retired the first time because Hakeem was a ? problem for them boys.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Are we comparing Hakeem to Jordan...
    Or are we comparing Hakeem to Kobe?

Two very different arguments.

How many rings would Kobe have, without Shaq or another superstar, if he played against Jordan in his prime?

I'll wait ...

Not to mention, that you're argument against Hakeem is laughable. Because of ALL teams Jordan faced in the 90s the Rockets were the one team that kept MJ up at night.

Can you guess why...

• d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Michael Jordan
    Oscar Robertson
    Wilt
    Magic
    Lebron

Nope Kobe ain't there

Neither is Lebron.

MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Bird
    Russell or Wilt
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, Kobe's in that top 5 room
    Kobe and LeBron are both top 5. No discussion. Those old ? wasn't on they ? like that. Dominating 16 team leagues filled with white boys who can't dribble with their left hand, gets you no points.

The only footage of a ? playing being youtube highlight reels, does not give the viewer a fair and real evaluation of the ? 's game. It's just more media ? ? molding the minds of the casual fan.
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell

Bill Russell over lebron kobe olajuwon shaq Bird etc...??? he shot 44% from the floor on a career 14pts a game...I get it he has 11 rings but his team was stacked with 60% of the best talent the nba had in those days that would be like Deandre Jordan going to the GSW and winning 6 rings and all a sudden having people believe he is top 5 center

Bill was a great leader and defender and did alot on the social side of things and people hated wilt so bill was like the champ most people loved but he aint no top 10 player he is like a dennis rodman on steroids but is not a threat on offense

Did you just compare Deandre Jordan to Bill Russell?? Bill Russell averaged 15pts a game and his rebounds were 22.5 a game. The highest Deandre ever averaged in his career in pts was this past season at 12.7 and rebounds it was 15 two seasons ago. Bill could score when asked upon while Deandre is just lobs and dunks. From 1960-1963 Russell was averaging 20 pts a game in the playoffs when he was at his peak...yea not a threat on offense right? That was a horrible horrible analogy using Deandre Jordan smh.

Now the reason I went with Russell was because of his overall impact on that team including his impeccable resume. We can flip it, chop it, and slice it anyway we want to but the FACTS are the Celtics weren't a championship team before he arrived and the following season when he retired they were in the LOTTERY....that's called IMPACT. They were extreme chokers and had a losing playoff record of 10-17. When Russell came? He was the locomotive to that dynasty and made a lot of those guys jobs easier, which was why he was mvp 5x's on a 11x championship team. Not to mention he won rings as a player and a coach....again....IMPACT.

When creating a top list in anything there will always be a player that everybody disagree on, but the fact that you said a guy that averaged 15pts a game on offense is not a threat, then used Deandre Jordan and Dennis Rodman as your primary examples to knock Bill Russell with two guys who were more ineffective on offense? C'mon bro do better smh.

ok maybe I exagerated comparing him to Deandre but I cant put a player who shot 44% as a center while scoring 15pts ,over guys like wilt ,lebron, hakeem etc...not sayin he was not a great player but not better than thoses guys no way ,his only competition was Wilt and he had a much better team ,hakeem had to go against the best collection of centers in Nba history russell only had Wilt and was mostly a threat on defense and was average as ? on offense

that would be like saying Rodman is better than patrick ewing because he was a beast on rebonds and defense and won 5 rings to Ewing's 0
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    U said guys above Kobe have better resumes?!? I only see 3 guys with comparable resumes to Kobe and that's MJ, Kareem, Magic... Every1 after that has holes in their arguments to justify against Kobe...

If y'all just don't like Kobe I understand but to say dudes have a better resume than Kobe is just off base..
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    After a change of events I've decided to revise my top 5, in order:

Michael Jordan
    Kobe Bryant
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Magic Johnson
    Lebron James

I'm going with the 2nd coming for the 2nd spot all time... Throw as many feelings at me foh... Nobody did it as close to MJ as Kobe did..

I'm a listen to my OGs Kareem, Shaq, and Magic as they have all said verbally, Kobe is the greatest of Laker of all time, so that means he gets nods over them 3 in my top 5 rankings... What more can I say, he's the 2nd best player of all time in my eyes... Lebron has to go over Kobe to get to MJ
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    10-15 is about right
  • Ether44mag
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What is keeping Kobe out of the top 5 tho... I haven't gotten the answer yet, the audacity of saying Hakeem Olajuwon over Kobe is enough for me to stop coming in my own thread... Reach levels are extremely high, had MJ wanted to play hoops instead of taking his first hiatus Hakeem wouldn't have any rings, u telling me Hakeem Olajuwon would have 2 rings if MJ was playing those 2 years foh...

Kobe played every top level talent in 3 different generations from MJ to Steph.. Took the challenge in the all star game every time against MJ and got his respect... I never heard MJ do that for anybody but Kobe because he really had the dna of a champion... Kobe dropped 50 points 4-nites in a row, how many 60 point games, how many clutch situations, lead the team on his back for 20 years gaining every accolade, the list goes accomplishment wise... How did Hakeem, Bird, or others get more nods while having less accolades?

Look...I'm never going to argue with you if you say Kobe is better than Olajuwon cause its a valid statement still, BUT I watched Hakeem play and Destroy competition on BOTH sides of the floor.In his prime he was averaging 26ppg 13rebs 4assts and 4blocks ! Shooting 53% from the floor and saw him ? Shaq, David and Ewing like they were D-leaugue players so...But Kobe over Hakeem is kool I put kobe at 6 so some days I might easily change my mind and put him top 5 *shrugs*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O2lApCBBs

and dont forget he and sampson beat the lakers in 86 on the conference finals but lost against the celtics in the finals ...in 86 bro ...Magic Kareem Worthy...
  • Ether44mag
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Beating the SHOWTIME LAKERS in the 1986 conference finals shuting down Kareem too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCMH_6NMBI
  • prime_time_willy
    Options
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell

ok maybe I exagerated comparing him to Deandre but I cant put a player who shot 44% as a center while scoring 15pts ,over guys like wilt ,lebron, hakeem etc...not sayin he was not a great player but not better than thoses guys no way ,his only competition was Wilt and he had a much better team ,hakeem had to go against the best collection of centers in Nba history russell only had Wilt and was mostly a threat on defense and was average as ? on offense

that would be like saying Rodman is better than patrick ewing because he was a beast on rebonds and defense and won 5 rings to Ewing's 0

Dennis Rodman was trash on offense though lmao. Of course you wouldn't put him over Ewing. Russell was just an above average scorer but great on Defense and the boards. But I have a question though. Without looking up his stats, what's your opinion on Draymond Green on offense?
  • prime_time_willy
    Options
    Kobe and LeBron are both top 5. No discussion. Those old ? wasn't on they ? like that. Dominating 16 team leagues filled with white boys who can't dribble with their left hand, gets you no points.

The only footage of a ? playing being youtube highlight reels, does not give the viewer a fair and real evaluation of the ? 's game. It's just more media ? ? molding the minds of the casual fan.

There's actually full game footage of them playing back then. They've showed them quite a few times on hardwood classics. It's like watching the spurs play with no Tony Parker and Ginobili lol. All fundamentals and it takes a minute to adapt to that style, but their shooting, ball movement, and bball IQ was high.

The same thing you're doing knocking the old school era is the same thing these younger kids going to be doing 15-20 years from now to knock Lebron and Kobe. The game will change, players will be bigger, stronger, and more athletic so they will discredit the previous players accomplishments based off the era they played in.

The same way how they try to knock Jordan and his era because they weren't as athletic as the current era of NBA players.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DJ would have put up Wilt type numbers if he played in Russell era.
  • Ether44mag
    Options
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell

Dennis Rodman was trash on offense though lmao. Of course you wouldn't put him over Ewing. Russell was just an above average scorer but great on Defense and the boards. But I have a question though. Without looking up his stats, what's your opinion on Draymond Green on offense?

draymond on offense ? well he can hit open shots , he needs a system and scorers around him to be effective but he's not a scorer
  • Ether44mag
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    DJ would have put up Wilt type numbers if he played in Russell era.

maybe not Wilt numbers but he would average 20 rebs and about 5 blocks for sure !
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan
    Russell
    Bron
    Magic
    Duncan

Magic's 5 are much impressive to me than Kobe's 5, Magic is the greatest Laker I don't give a ? what stupid ? comes out of his mouth
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My top 10

Jordan
    Kareem
    Magic
    Lebron
    Wilt
    Duncan
    Russell
    Shaq
    Kobe
    Dream

I'm not a Kobe hater, I'm just realistic when it comes to him. Not gonna give a long drawn out post explaining my top 10 unless asked for.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There's actually full game footage of them playing back then. They've showed them quite a few times on hardwood classics. It's like watching the spurs play with no Tony Parker and Ginobili lol. All fundamentals and it takes a minute to adapt to that style, but their shooting, ball movement, and bball IQ was high.

The same thing you're doing knocking the old school era is the same thing these younger kids going to be doing 15-20 years from now to knock Lebron and Kobe. The game will change, players will be bigger, stronger, and more athletic so they will discredit the previous players accomplishments based off the era they played in.

The same way how they try to knock Jordan and his era because they weren't as athletic as the current era of NBA players.

A few games isn't enough, I've watched Jeremy Lin look like a solid PG for a long list of games. If that stretch of games was all we had to judge him from, ? would be saying he's nice or underrated or something similar.

Every star in the NBA has fundamentals, so that has nothing to do with the context of this conversation.

At the bold, as they should. The game stays the same, the names change. As it currently stands, LeBron and Kobe are top 5. If a new ? comes through and overlaps their career, then LeBron and Kobe get moved out of their slots, simple as that.

The real iconic players set a bar so high, their spot stays solidified i.e. Jordan and Kareem. That's the challenge of the whole thing.
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bean went to 3 straight finals and won two with Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odem as major pieces on the team. That's two of the 5 biggest fuckups in the last decade. Them type of ? live in self sabotage mode. My ? leadership during those years gets severely underrated. I can only put Mike and Magic above Kobe. Bron 4th. Then Shaq.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U said guys above Kobe have better resumes?!? I only see 3 guys with comparable resumes to Kobe and that's MJ, Kareem, Magic... Every1 after that has holes in their arguments to justify against Kobe...

If y'all just don't like Kobe I understand but to say dudes have a better resume than Kobe is just off base..

That's why I'm not bout to debate with ? , if you look at what Kobe has accomplished it's hard to say why he ain't top 5
  • prime_time_willy
    Options
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell

draymond on offense ? well he can hit open shots , he needs a system and scorers around him to be effective but he's not a scorer

So would you say he's average then and not a threat?