Comments

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    7figz wrote: »
    - Black unity ?
    - Setting examples ?
    - Morals and standards - showing that some things are more important than money ?
    - Not performing for racists ?

You're talking about principles..
    But who's behavior are we afraid her 'violations' are going to influence? Ours?
    Who are we afraid that this performance is going to empower? Them?

Some people act like being Black voids all other personal trials, tribulations and thoughts. Shorty's goofy but she's not a ? or a traitor; And so far, all the variables pertaining to this particular instance have ultimately rendered her performance null.

kzzl wrote: »
    Its a display. It doesn't have to be tangible, but it's like she's picking sides. Although it was mentioned that Hollywood may give her real backlash later in her career.

"It's like she's picking sides?"
    So she didn't actually pick or switch sides, but it's still "like" she did..

See, that's what this is. People are attaching a bunch of extra, emotional nonsense to the fact that this happened, instead of realizing that nothing actually came of it. ? are mad because they can be, not because of anything that we actually have to deal with as a result of Chrisette's performance.

Its just the times we're in now. Lines are being drawn and her volunteering to perform will make her suspect.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I understand and understood from the jump why people would and should be up in arms about her preforming at his inauguration my issue is with the way Spike Lee handled it. I think he has the resources to actually see what this ladies mindset was for actually taking this job or even gave her council if she was this naive about this whole issues and how to handle the incoming backlash she was sure to get, before actually blasting her online. If she gave a ? answer or didn't want his council then I don't blame him for doing what he did. We as regular folks don't have that luxury to actually know what she was thinking or what her intentions are so I can understand why regular people would roast her.

I'm of the mindset that this guy's presidency could be a good thing for us black people. Their are a lot of black people who thought ? was all good here and that because you are in another tax bracket, live in a different state or have never dealt with certain issues that things aren't as they seem. Well this guy winning off of the crazy divisive comments and actions that he displayed should let people know that it was and never will be as good as they thought it was. His supporters were way more overt with their biases as opposed to the covert way other administrations and their constituents have handled issues that effect our plight.

We gotta come together and help each other more than ever and hopefully with the handwriting clearly on the wall people will realize this. I feel it is every persons duty to help the misguided if they truly want to be helped and maybe some of these people that are out here chatting it up and being used for photo ops are just misguided. I agree every brotha ain't a brotha and some of these folks are just out for self but openly being devided without gaining all the facts isn't helping our cause. It's helping these undercover hate mongers recruit people on the fence easier.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    RickyRich wrote: »
    What she did was wrong but maybe her money is tight . I never heard anyone talk about buying her album and i dont think i ever.came across her ablum either .

Exactly it was a great opportunity for her. Fck all the emotional nonsense just from a business standpoint look at all the exposure and people talking. Doesnt mean she supports every or anything about Trump. But the fact is he is the President and people will be working with him simply for that fact. No way around it. Its simply performing at the Presidential inauguration which is bigger than Trump. The rest is things people add in their imagination and speculating. *shrug*.

From a business standpoint it's an even dumber move because she alienates her fanbase to perform for a group of people who give no ? about her. That's a short term lick w/o considering the long term effects. That's not a smart career move because now she'll have to answer this ? for the rest of her career.

I may not have even did it. And maybe for some of the same reasons people have expressed here. But i cant get mad at her for doing it. Thats her decision. Go do your thing. Nobody can tell her what to do with her life and career. People are on about something that isnt even their life. Its just chatter. I didnt get that opportunity neither did anybody on the sideline bumpin their gums/fingers.
    Its admirable and Im watching whenever someone doesnt let the "? in a barrel" keep them back with stuff like this. Saying "Trump is the President" isnt enough reason not to do your thing. That stops nothing actually of course. Im the opposite of a hater and "crab in a bucket" I wanna see people like this and in the community make more and be more a force, be more to the front make more moves and be more visual now and going forward. Nothing stops because Trump is President.

And performing for Trump and writing some ? letter with your reasoning misusing MLK's name and words to try and explain it does what in terms of helping her be a force?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    I still don't understand how her performance supported Trump's impending fuckery.
    Sure, the visual is unsightly, but ultimately her being there seems ineffectual.

It's more about her spouting that ? she did talking about the performance would help build bridges and healing. She wasn't there to meet with Trump about issues, she was there to sing a damn song. Singing 1 song ain't going to build no bridges and she's a fool for thinking that
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too easy. She did not have to partake in this event. In fact, there is a long list of celeb invites who refused to show up, and it had been a headline for the past two months that the administration was having trouble booking talent. That coalition was formed INTENTIONALLY as a block to make a statement against him and what he stands for. Did she not get the memo that the whole world is standing against this man? She consciously chose to cross the proverbial line and these are the results. Are you a member of a union? Because I am. Do you understand the impact of crossing the picket line? We are dead ass not in a time for celebrities to waver in influence when they have a platform, or rather the ear of the public.

Come on now, did you really think this response through? You're comparing what the celebrities did to a Strike, but that comparison is way off the mark. A strike is done by a unified group in agreement with the intention of accomplishing a real goal that benefits the group. This was nothing like that. It was a group of celebrities making decisions for themselves. Some decided one way. Others decided the other was. You can criticize CM for making what you believe is the wrong decision, but beating her up for crossing a line she was never behind is stupid. Especially dumb when you consider that the only goal of the protest was to say "? You" to Trump. It's not like her actions prevented anyone from accomplishing anything if substance.
    The boycott the government comparison is a shoddy false equivalency. We live in a white-run, white racist society and often times working for racists and with them is a necessary evil in order for us to feed our families, attend college, etc. An inauguration is a celebration. I don't know any black person celebrating the fact that we work for and rub shoulders with racist coworkers and employers. We clock in, clock out, and go about our lives. That is not avoidable for any black people in Western society. Chrisette was under no obligation to perform for this man who only days earlier insulted John Lewis, someone who has thrown his body in front of the KKK to be beaten while trying to effect change. Only black people have a hard time with this. Let him insult a Jew and you will be hard pressed to find ONE to perform for him. I'm not ? with her. You can buy what you wanna buy with your money.

Lol WTF? You just did nothing but excuse the actions you're OK with. No one is under any obligation to do any of the ? you listed so that's not a false equivalence. It's the exact same thing. You just acknowledged that some people work for racists to feed their families. Guess what she did, worked/performed for a racist to presumably feed her family. I didn't hear anything about her going out of her way to celebrate him. She did her job and that's it. And y'all ? love selling black people out in some half passed effort to make points. Other groups do not subscribe to this group thought the way you think they do. Last I checked Mel Gibson is still a player in Hollywood. You think he's not doing business with Jews? Dude went on a anti-Semitic rant. For goodness sake, ? ran on a real anti-Jew platform not this half-assed ? Trump did, and there were Jews that still signed up for the ? party. Y'all got to cut this ? out. Stop making ? up for the sole purpose of throwing other black people under the bus. Ole crab in the barrel ass Negros.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She made ya'll that mad over her singing at Trumps inauguration that bad?
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I looked her in the eye and said, 'My family has disowned me,'" Michele continued. "'If you decide to Google me, you'll see that America is writing about me in their newspapers. I'm the black poster child for discord right now, and he's not going to shake my hand?' So no, I didn't get to meet him." -Chrisette Michele
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this OB >>> uber driving OB
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it was all good just 5 months ago

law7jrcyc9bi.png
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lmao!

Every 1 of u IC ? apologists look Stupid as ? right now
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

law7jrcyc9bi.png

? DAM THIS ? GOT BIG !

I'm beginning to think it's not the industry's fault she ain't make more money. This chick been eatin' her ass off.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet Trump had some strippers later on shakin dat ass for some change
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

law7jrcyc9bi.png

? DAM THIS ? GOT BIG !

I'm beginning to think it's not the industry's fault she ain't make more money. This chick been eatin' her ass off.

Dont sleep on the bigs tho
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

law7jrcyc9bi.png

? DAM THIS ? GOT BIG !

Dont sleep on the bigs tho

Trillest ? you ever wrote...

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/536802/the-justice-league-of-bbws#latest

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Um NEWSFLASH! I have a right to do just that. It ain't gotta make sense to you and could be hypocritical to you for all I care. Let me cook. You do you. I said about eight times Chrisette had every right to perform and on that note, I ain't buying none of her ? . I could a give a ? less what other black people do. You should go buy ten of her albums if you like. She offended MY sensibilities. I ain't gotta rationalize that ? for nobody. What you do wit your money is between you and your conscience. What I do is between me and mine.

lol You taking the conversation somewhere else. If you don't want to support her, don't. I don't care about that. Hell, I can even respect you admitting the hypocrisy and saying "It is what it is." You got the right to feel that way if you want. Just stop acting like she's committing some holy sin when black people knowingly do the same thing she's doing on a daily basis.
    Trillfate wrote: »
    There's almost nothing bigots and ? do that u wont attempt to rationalize

There's nothing to rationalize. The ? sang a song, period. It wasn't that big a deal. Ya'll trying to make into some world class betrayal of the black community and it's not that and never will be. Ya'll worry too ? much about the wrong ? . Donald Trump out here signing policies that might actually affect your lives, and most of ya'll ain't putting a tenth of the effort into trying to find ways to counteract that as you are into villifying some D list celebrity trying to make a buck. And then you all are attempting to rationalize you exaggerated outrage and contempt for someone you didn't care about a month ago. ? out of here. It's silly.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too easy. She did not have to partake in this event. In fact, there is a long list of celeb invites who refused to show up, and it had been a headline for the past two months that the administration was having trouble booking talent. That coalition was formed INTENTIONALLY as a block to make a statement against him and what he stands for. Did she not get the memo that the whole world is standing against this man? She consciously chose to cross the proverbial line and these are the results. Are you a member of a union? Because I am. Do you understand the impact of crossing the picket line? We are dead ass not in a time for celebrities to waver in influence when they have a platform, or rather the ear of the public.

Come on now, did you really think this response through? You're comparing what the celebrities did to a Strike, but that comparison is way off the mark. A strike is done by a unified group in agreement with the intention of accomplishing a real goal that benefits the group. This was nothing like that. It was a group of celebrities making decisions for themselves. Some decided one way. Others decided the other was. You can criticize CM for making what you believe is the wrong decision, but beating her up for crossing a line she was never behind is stupid. Especially dumb when you consider that the only goal of the protest was to say "? You" to Trump. It's not like her actions prevented anyone from accomplishing anything if substance.
    The boycott the government comparison is a shoddy false equivalency. We live in a white-run, white racist society and often times working for racists and with them is a necessary evil in order for us to feed our families, attend college, etc. An inauguration is a celebration. I don't know any black person celebrating the fact that we work for and rub shoulders with racist coworkers and employers. We clock in, clock out, and go about our lives. That is not avoidable for any black people in Western society. Chrisette was under no obligation to perform for this man who only days earlier insulted John Lewis, someone who has thrown his body in front of the KKK to be beaten while trying to effect change. Only black people have a hard time with this. Let him insult a Jew and you will be hard pressed to find ONE to perform for him. I'm not ? with her. You can buy what you wanna buy with your money.

Lol WTF? You just did nothing but excuse the actions you're OK with. No one is under any obligation to do any of the ? you listed so that's not a false equivalence. It's the exact same thing. You just acknowledged that some people work for racists to feed their families. Guess what she did, worked/performed for a racist to presumably feed her family. I didn't hear anything about her going out of her way to celebrate him. She did her job and that's it. And y'all ? love selling black people out in some half passed effort to make points. Other groups do not subscribe to this group thought the way you think they do. Last I checked Mel Gibson is still a player in Hollywood. You think he's not doing business with Jews? Dude went on a anti-Semitic rant. For goodness sake, ? ran on a real anti-Jew platform not this half-assed ? Trump did, and there were Jews that still signed up for the ? party. Y'all got to cut this ? out. Stop making ? up for the sole purpose of throwing other black people under the bus. Ole crab in the barrel ass Negros.

what? lol

so we're going to act as though cm doesn't have far greater economic autonomy than the average blk person?

and mel gibson was blacklisted immediately after his tirade. he has appeared/directed in less than 3 major films over the last 10 yrs. he is not a big player....stop

trump built his campaign on racism, xenophobia and sexism. cm knew this. yet rather than use the invite as an opportunity to rebuke his actions, she chose to participate in his inauguration further normalizing his antics. her fans have the right to be disappointed at the very least

my biggest issue is that she is now tryna play the victim and pretend as though this wasn't just a job for her
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I smell faulty logic.

"People never do anything... so why should they do something now ?"

"People don't care about Trump's policies but they're reacting to people who associate with Trump"
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited January 2017
    Options

what? lol

so we're going to act as though cm doesn't have far greater economic autonomy than the average blk person?

and mel gibson was blacklisted immediately after his tirade. he has appeared/directed in less than 3 major films over the last 10 yrs. he is not a big player....stop

trump built his campaign on racism, xenophobia and sexism. cm knew this. yet rather than use the invite as an opportunity to rebuke his actions, she chose to participate in his inauguration further normalizing his antics. her fans have the right to be disappointed at the very least

my biggest issue is that she is now tryna play the victim and pretend as though this wasn't just a job for her

Does she? I don't know anything about her finances. I've seen more than enough rich black people end up broke to know you can't take for granted that someone is financially secure just because they have a name.

And yes, there was a backlash against Mel just as there always is a backlash against any major figure that speaks out against blacks. Mel may not be the player he has been, but acted and produced in successful movies since then and you know Jews were a part of that process, So, clearly there are Jews that work with people that badmouth them just like there are blacks that work with people that badmouth us. So stop the nonsense.

Yes, her fans have a right to be disappointed in her. I have not problem with that. I do have a problem with people vilifying her over some trivial ? . She's not a civil rights activist and never proclaimed to stand for that. Trump is the bad guy, but ? are putting way more effort into tearing down a thoughtless black chick than they are into standing up to the corrupt politician.

And you're right. She's not a victim, but playing the victim is what ya'll women do when you feel the heat. (I'm just messing with you................sort of).
    I smell faulty logic.

"People never do anything... so why should they do something now ?"

"People don't care about Trump's policies but they're reacting to people who associate with Trump"

That's not faulty logic. That's called a misrepresentation of the points.

No one said that people couldn't criticize CM, but there is a problem with putting more energy into criticizing her than into reacting what Trump is actually doing.