Whats Wrong With Being Regionally Biased?

Options

Comments

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I didn't want to derail the other thread, but people were saying, or implying that being regionally biased is a bad thing.

I like East Coast Hip Hop from the 80s and 90s and some stuff from the early 00s. Thats what I like, whats wrong with that?

I've heard No Limit, Cash Money, Death Row, E-40, Too $hort, Young Jeezy, Game, T.I., Ludacris, DJ Khaled, Common, Kanye West, Eminem, Outkast, hell I even remember the 2 Live Crew.

But I've made up my mind what I like.

Whats the problem?

You answered your own question. You like what you like. Long as you're comfortable it doesn't matter.
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nothing...

Don't worry about it. Just own it...
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Just because you're biased towards your a certain region doesn't mean you can't tolerate their dont accept, listen, or like music. outside of it but ? is dumb so..
    Eta: Had to make some corrections, lol.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Name a NY rapper who debuted in 2005 and is relivent in 2017
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Growing up in the Midwest, I really didn't have this problem. If something was dope, I listened to it.

I never had the attitude of "I'm only going to listen to the Midwest style of fast rap (Tech N9ne, Twista, Bone) and just Common, Nelly, Lupe Fiasco, etc."

I think a lot of people back home had this same mindset, although I remembered people favoring LA West Coast, Bay Area and Down South music, in addition to the Midwest. If an East Coast song was hot, people had no problem playing it.

Personally, my all-time record collection contains albums from all regions.

After high school, I went to college in the South and met people from all over the country. And from my observance, it was mostly the East Coast people being regionally biased when it came to music. You could like 100 Biggie songs, but if you wasn't feeling one - all of a sudden you're wack and know nothing about Hip-Hop. LOL!!!
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    Growing up in the Midwest, I really didn't have this problem. If something was dope, I listened to it.

I never had the attitude of "I'm only going to listen to the Midwest style of fast rap (Tech N9ne, Twista, Bone) and just Common, Nelly, Lupe Fiasco, etc."

I think a lot of people back home had this same mindset, although I remembered people favoring LA West Coast, Bay Area and Down South music, in addition to the Midwest. If an East Coast song was hot, people had no problem playing it.

After high school, I went to college in the South and met people from all over the country. And from my observance, it was mostly the East Coast people being regionally biased when it came to music. You could like 100 Biggie songs, but if you wasn't feeling one - all of a sudden you're wack and know nothing about Hip-Hop. LOL!!!

Midwest was rockin wit dipset way more then ny… an you rite tha east coast is bias af specially these 90 mfs
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    ? if you don't like then you just don't like it....

• skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Midwest was rockin wit dipset way more then ny… an you rite tha east coast is bias af specially these 90 mfs

That's why nobody ? they hating ass. The south, west and midwest always been down. Bone went to LA and got down with Ruthless, Snoop went to NOLA and got down with P, $hort came to Atl and linked up Lil' John, Da' Brat was on SoSo Def, Ball and G made hits with 40 and Mac Mall, T.I. made hits with Daz and Kanye, Face was spittin' with Pac and Cube, so forth and so on. P was putting out the Down South Hustlers and the West Coast Bad Boyz. E 40 put out the Southwest Riders and all that ? was going hard. ? Drama was on Suave House, Do or Die was on Rap A Lot, Mac was on No Limit, etc. We never had any beef. But at one time or another all of these different regions had to deal with these envious, mad ass haters from the east and their ? "regional bias".
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »

That's why nobody ? they hating ass. The south, west and midwest always been down. Bone went to LA and got down with Ruthless, Snoop went to NOLA and got down with P, $hort came to Atl and linked up Lil' John, Da' Brat was on SoSo Def, Ball and G made hits with 40 and Mac Mall, T.I. made hits with Daz and Kanye, Face was spittin' with Pac and Cube, so forth and so on. P was putting out the Down South Hustlers and the West Coast Bad Boyz. E 40 put out the Southwest Riders and all that ? was going hard. ? Drama was on Suave House, Do or Die was on Rap A Lot, Mac was on No Limit, etc. We never had any beef. But at one time or another all of these different regions had to deal with these envious, mad ass haters from the east and their ? "regional bias".

Real ? Do Real Things - Notorious BIG
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIJyb8zLBwc
  • skpjr78
    edited June 2017
    Options

Lol at Big jacking for beats somehow proving that the east coast aint full of haters. Lol at Bigs ? ass jacking anything. Fohwtbs

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/527280/so-biggie-was-a-regular-at-male-strip-clubs-scust/p1

? say I'm ? I dare you to stick your ? in this- Biggie
    I'd ? Ru Paul before those ugly Escape ? - Biggie
    Ngga test their luck and they get a butt ? , straight up the ass raw dog with a rash- Biggie
    Blood and money don't mix like 2 ? - Biggie
    If peter piper pecked em, I betcha biggie bust em
    He probably tried to ? him, I told him not to trust him- Biggie

nh at ? biggie on some mufasa ? giving his seal of approval from heaven
    2eajo6x.jpg

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

So you're saying NY rappers don't collaborate with rappers from other regions? What are you trying to say?
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Lol at Big jacking for beats somehow proving that the east coast aint full of haters. Lol at Bigs ? ass jacking anything. Fohwtbs

? say I'm ? I dare you to stick your ? in this- Biggie
    I'd ? Ru Paul before those ugly Escape ? - Biggie
    Ngga test their luck and they get a butt ? , straight up the ass raw dog with a rash- Biggie
    Blood and money don't mix like 2 ? - Biggie
    If peter piper pecked em, I betcha biggie bust em
    He probably tried to ? him, I told him not to trust him- Biggie

nh at ? biggie on some mufasa ? giving his seal of approval from heaven
    2eajo6x.jpg

I don't understand the point you're trying to make, if there is one.

Actually I thing you're just being argumentative.
  • skpjr78
    edited June 2017
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

So you're saying NY rappers don't collaborate with rappers from other regions? What are you trying to say?

Im saying yall some haters. You clowns don't collaborate as much as you ? ride. Yall talk down on everybody else ? but when your garbage ass irrelevant ass albums dont sell you ? ride the same ? you was just hating on. When your awful ass productions and horrid ass beats stop moving units the same haters who spent years clowing "bama" and "jheri curl" rappers will call Lil' John or Dr. Dre fast as ? . .
    dr-dre-50-cent.jpg
    24809576.jpg
    remy-ma-of-terror-squad-fat-joe-and-lil-jon-during-2004-mtv-video-picture-id111160831
    alchemist-lil-jon-prodigy-and-dj-kay-slay-during-crunk-energy-drink-picture-id452838125?s=612x612
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh do You feel guilty for liking what you like or something? That's the beauty of this ? you can choose. Choose wisely my ? .
  • skpjr78
    edited June 2017
    Options
    When all else fails, them units aint moving and those shows are empty as ? that regional bias ? goes out the window and you hating ? will jump on whatever the latest trend and fad is. Yall have been irrelevant since 50s era (who ironically found success using the same west coast sound that yall spent the previous decade hating on) b/c you clowns fad hop from trend to trend trying 2 put a NY face on something that isn't yours. Thats how you end up with a decade plus worth of bums like Mims. Yall talk all that ? about "regional bias" but when its all said and done the only NY artist that have done real numbers over the past 20 years have used southern, mid west and west coast producers, concepts and ideas.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    New York ran the table for 25+ years.

I honestly think rap/Hip Hop has run out of ideas. Every so-called hot rapper sounds alike. They use the same beats and rap about the same subject matter.

Having said that, they're building a Hip Hop museum in Harlem and they've been changing street names in The Bronx to honor the pioneers.

seu7owdic8zbx1ftkoz5.jpg

video-228939.jpg

video-228268.jpg

queens-street-malik-phife-dawg-taylor-way.jpg

spsaqorr9mbgzgyn4orh.jpg

image.jpg

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think anything until people start getting bitter. Thats a bad emotion to hold on too but even worse when they start trying to spread negativity about music. It just causes some to feel a way that a certain region has had such a run. It is what it is and sometimes I get it. But again it is what it is people can like what they like but once people go overboard trying to hate on success, or just on what somebody else likes, then thats fckboy status at that point. It just be emotions.
  • trendsetta1030
    Options

5th Letter wrote: »

He's trying to say when ny had the ball they ain't share court or picked ppl from other regions but now the south kicked ny off tha court and took tha ball now it's a problem because mfs ain't let in ya play so ya yell hip hop is dead while tip was still going plat… an wats tha problem wit tha south music when most ny ? was party abc lyrics till philly and psk brought that gangsta ? out that's why juice crew and ll never responded 2 cool c… an don't sit here an say well they was 2 big 2 pay attention and like bro said ny ain't been hot since 50cent and he in no way had a ny formula except tha way he dressed
  • skpjr78
    edited June 2017
    Options
    New York ran the table for 25+ years.

I honestly think NY rap/Hip Hop has run out of ideas. Every so-called hot rapper sounds alike. They use the same beats and rap about the same subject matter.

Having said that, they're building a Hip Hop museum in Harlem and they've been changing street names in The Bronx to honor the pioneers.

Fixed
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're building a Hip Hop museum in Harlem and they've been changing street names in The Bronx to honor the pioneers.

seu7owdic8zbx1ftkoz5.jpg

video-228939.jpg

video-228268.jpg

spsaqorr9mbgzgyn4orh.jpg

image.jpg

Wow, this is cool! <3
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    I luv Houston rap like 20-2-Life
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    They're building a Hip Hop museum in Harlem and they've been changing street names in The Bronx to honor the pioneers.

seu7owdic8zbx1ftkoz5.jpg

video-228939.jpg

video-228268.jpg

spsaqorr9mbgzgyn4orh.jpg

image.jpg

Wow, this is cool! <3

Ny is not what it was ya mfs continue 2 live in tha past an talk bout tha good ol days when ny was on top
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

seu7owdic8zbx1ftkoz5.jpg

video-228939.jpg

video-228268.jpg

spsaqorr9mbgzgyn4orh.jpg

image.jpg

Wow, this is cool! <3

Ny is not what it was ya mfs continue 2 live in tha past an talk bout tha good ol days when ny was on top

LA isn't what it was either. And to some degree neither is the south.

The truth of the matter is from almost all of the above mentioned areas the best artists are from generations past.

So, I get it your focus isn't on skill, artistic integrity and definitely not the proliferation of Hip Hop's elements.

If, the focus is who's on the radio, selling hot wings, selling ass or peddling the latest product you're correct.