Rapper Ranking Project: Rapper #3 - Tupac

Options

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    How both of y'all type breadth?

Ummm....because that's how the word is spelled.

latest?cb=20150106170932

:o damn a word I never encountered before..shame on me lol

I thought that was a typo for breath

I'll take the L

Learned a new word though B)
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2pacalypse and Ru still down are as unsung as oyu can get from 2pac i think they might be my favorite

2pacalypse >> bout to fire that ? up tonight
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    This thread series needs a panel, not just one guy. You low key played my g on a couple things, and I ain't even ? wit dude like that.

That's what I said.... The thread idea is coo but that's the problem with it instead of just throwing out the 9 categories and getting a avg of everybody score he basically saying I'll decide what the final score is and we are suppose to convince you to change the scores so it kills the point of it
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lyrics-1.5
    Delivery-2.5
    Language-1.5
    Storytelling-3.5
    Catalog-3
    Subject matter-2.5
    Creativity-2.5
    Collabo's-3
    Impact-5

I think that's 37.5

ETA: I had to make some corrections.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    This thread series needs a panel, not just one guy. You low key played my g on a couple things, and I ain't even ? wit dude like that.

That's what I said.... The thread idea is coo but that's the problem with it instead of just throwing out the 9 categories and getting a avg of everybody score he basically saying I'll decide what the final score is and we are suppose to convince you to change the scores so it kills the point of it

The problem with what you're suggesting is that it's not an objective way of establishing scores. Just look at this topic. We've had like two people come in here and say "I'm a Pac fan, so I give him all 5s." If I did what you suggested and just took an average of what everyone thought, we's just have a bunch of scores that reflected the popularity of certain rappers instead of any real reflection of the real quality of the rappers.

I'm not suggesting my way is perfect, but I'm establishing a clear set of metrics that people can assess objectively and acting as an impartial moderator for those scores. You want to paint it like I'm being unfair, but so far, none of the scores I posted originally have held. I've made adjustments to both of the previous scores and will likely make at least one here. It's not like I'm saying you have to move heaven and earth to get me to change the score. You just have to provide a convincing argument or have an overwhelming consensus on your side. The majority of people posting in the Jay thread thought I short changed him on Delivery, so I upped his score. Someone made a good argument for Biggie's Impact, so I upped his score. This is far better than just accepting a bunch of scores from people who have no real reasoning behind why they give those scores other than the fact that they really like an artist and want that artist to be viewed as the best.
  • GetoBoy
    Options

The problem with what you're suggesting is that it's not an objective way of establishing scores. Just look at this topic. We've had like two people come in here and say "I'm a Pac fan, so I give him all 5s." If I did what you suggested and just took an average of what everyone thought, we's just have a bunch of scores that reflected the popularity of certain rappers instead of any real reflection of the real quality of the rappers.

I'm not suggesting my way is perfect, but I'm establishing a clear set of metrics that people can assess objectively and acting as an impartial moderator for those scores. You want to paint it like I'm being unfair, but so far, none of the scores I posted originally have held. I've made adjustments to both of the previous scores and will likely make at least one here. It's not like I'm saying you have to move heaven and earth to get me to change the score. You just have to provide a convincing argument or have an overwhelming consensus on your side. The majority of people posting in the Jay thread thought I short changed him on Delivery, so I upped his score. Someone made a good argument for Biggie's Impact, so I upped his score. This is far better than just accepting a bunch of scores from people who have no real reasoning behind why they give those scores other than the fact that they really like an artist and want that artist to be viewed as the best.

But like I told you in the first thread of this series your rating can't be the end all of the overall scores which it is if YOU don't think a rating should be changed it doesn't get changed and if YOU think it should then it should so this series is basically all just you rating rappers it would be best to take everybody score that gives explanations not just "5 for everything he the goat" type answers and round it out as opposed to just giving your score and being the single person that controls the score....

It's your thread just giving my opinion on how I think it would work better as a series that involves everybody opinion as mattering the same
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Lyrics (5) - Tupac's songs tended to be packed with meaning and messages (good and bad) and he was able to deliver strongly through his words. Very few rappers have been as prolific has him and still manage to deliver strong lyrics in nearly every song.

Really? He rhymed Hennessy with Enemy and Penitentiary on more than just a few songs.

How many times you gonna post the same ? my g?
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Beta text sorry for your lost when people die. Don't mind that dude.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

But like I told you in the first thread of this series your rating can't be the end all of the overall scores which it is if YOU don't think a rating should be changed it doesn't get changed and if YOU think it should then it should so this series is basically all just you rating rappers it would be best to take everybody score that gives explanations not just "5 for everything he the goat" type answers and round it out as opposed to just giving your score and being the single person that controls the score....

It's your thread just giving my opinion on how I think it would work better as a series that involves everybody opinion as mattering the same

But it ain't just me giving answers. If it was, then my score would be final. I get what you're saying, but people have to make convincing arguments and someone has to make a decision. I'm being loose as hell with this ? because I know it's not really fair. For both Jay and BIG, I thought my score was right. I didn't change them because I thought I was wrong. I changed them because people made good arguments and I know my opinion can't be the end all be all. What you're saying makes sense and if we had a large number of people responding and giving good reasons behind their score, I'd probably try to work something like that. But so far, there have only been a few people actually responding and half of those people don't even give reasons for their scores, they just score because of their fandom.

I get it. Me an you got off on the wrong foot. You are a Jay fanboy. I know that from the Jay topics, but I wrongly dismissed your stance because of that and took a while to give your comments their just due. So I understand why you think I'm not impartial. But keep in mind, in the end, I did make changes based on what you suggested.
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    atleast he rated him higher then the first rapper
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lyrics-1.5
    Delivery-2.5
    Language-1.5
    Storytelling-3.5
    Catalog-3
    Subject matter-2.5
    Creativity-2.5
    Collabo's-3
    Impact-5

I think that's 37.5

ETA: I had to make some corrections.

Useless, ? ass, ? ? .
  • GetoBoy
    Options

But it ain't just me giving answers. If it was, then my score would be final. I get what you're saying, but people have to make convincing arguments and someone has to make a decision. I'm being loose as hell with this ? because I know it's not really fair. For both Jay and BIG, I thought my score was right. I didn't change them because I thought I was wrong. I changed them because people made good arguments and I know my opinion can't be the end all be all. What you're saying makes sense and if we had a large number of people responding and giving good reasons behind their score, I'd probably try to work something like that. But so far, there have only been a few people actually responding and half of those people don't even give reasons for their scores, they just score because of their fandom.

I get it. Me an you got off on the wrong foot. You are a Jay fanboy. I know that from the Jay topics, but I wrongly dismissed your stance because of that and took a while to give your comments their just due. So I understand why you think I'm not impartial. But keep in mind, in the end, I did make changes based on what you suggested.

Naw that's not it it's just we don't create the scores you do it's like NFL commissioner he makes the rules enforces the plenties and decides sticks or not.... judge jury and executor ain't a all the objective way to come a conclusion becuz it's still all your conclusion
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Naw that's not it it's just we don't create the scores you do it's like NFL commissioner he makes the rules enforces the plenties and decides sticks or not.... judge jury and executor ain't a all the objective way to come a conclusion becuz it's still all your conclusion

Again, it ain't my conclusion. If it was, my base scores would have been THE scores, but they aren't. You want to make it seem like I'm being a dictator in these topics, fine, but the facts don't actually support your case.
  • GetoBoy
    edited August 2017
    Options

Again, it ain't my conclusion. If it was, my base scores would have been THE scores, but they aren't. You want to make it seem like I'm being a dictator in these topics, fine, but the facts don't actually support your case.

Ok man clearly you don't understand what judge jury and executor means.... If the rating decides on what YOU choose to change then YOU are the dictator I can't change the rating if I don't agree with it nobody can but you smh... The NFL commissioner just gave Zeke a 6 game suspension that he and the NFLPA will appeal yes others will make the case to get it reduced but it's 100% up to HIM if he wants to.... Yes others can make a case but it's 100% up to YOU if it gets changed you are the dictator of the ratings so it's never gonna be a totally objective rating which is the problem with this series but you don't seem to understand that so do you bruh ima let you cook smh
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    PAC story telling is on a level to where it doesn't even come off as story on first listen. I call that great story telling.

lol What? I'm not sure how not being able to tell that a story is a story is a sign of good storytelling. It seems more like a sign of a weak narrative that can be mistaken for not being a narrative or a listener that isn't savvy enough to pick up on a narrative when he or she hears it.

Nah I get what he saying.

Pac can have a 3 verse song and tell a different story per verse. Case in point, 'I ain't mad at cha'.....It don't even seem like he's story telling at times but he is.

Also I can't think of any other rap where the whole click tell parts of the same story like 'Teardrops and Closed Caskets".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpdz0PcJlU

Sometimes he vacillated between storytelling and free styling within the same verse. He starts out telling his own story then changes it up to tell you how he feel about the story (e.g. HellRazor). Then goes back and between the 2.....painting pictures with the stories. Same with Against All Odds starting with the 2nd verse.

https://www.youTube.com/watch?v=CppEdwTQptk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4cr1HGXaAw
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options

What?

Ole I feel sorry for u mudda azz nucca .... lol
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ok man clearly you don't understand what judge jury and executor means.... If the rating decides on what YOU choose to change then YOU are the dictator I can't change the rating if I don't agree with it nobody can but you smh... The NFL commissioner just gave Zeke a 6 game suspension that he and the NFLPA will appeal yes others will make the case to get it reduced but it's 100% up to HIM if he wants to.... Yes others can make a case but it's 100% up to YOU if it gets changed you are the dictator of the ratings so it's never gonna be a totally objective rating which is the problem with this series but you don't seem to understand that so do you bruh ima let you cook smh

I understand what judge, jury, and executioner means. I don't think you understand how board, councils, and other groups do panel discussions and decisions. It is NEVER the case that everyone in a group has the power to change decisions. There is almost always a moderator who is in charge of making the official changes based on what the group comes up with. That's all I'm doing here, or rather all I'm supposed to be doing. Look at the rules that none of you are following. I said that I would just provide the baseline scores. If someone disagreed with a score, they could post an argument, others in the topic could use the reactions to state whether they agreed or disagreed or post counter arguments. And all I would do is look at the group consensus and adjust the scores based on what everyone agreed. That's how the topic is supposed to work. But nobody is doing that. Everyone is coming in here and either making blatantly biased statements, posting their own scores, or making comments that don't really apply to the scoring. Some come in and make arguments for score changes, and no one addresses those arguments or uses the reactions or does anything to push the discussion. So what else am I to do, but make the decision? Even then, in many of the cases, my role has been clerical. Again, with the Jay-Z Delivery change. I didn't make a decision there. I wasn't Judge, Jury, or Executioner. People weighed in and the group consensus was that the score needed to be changed, so I changed it. That's basically what you're saying you want, but you're not acknowledging that its happening.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    PAC story telling is on a level to where it doesn't even come off as story on first listen. I call that great story telling.

lol What? I'm not sure how not being able to tell that a story is a story is a sign of good storytelling. It seems more like a sign of a weak narrative that can be mistaken for not being a narrative or a listener that isn't savvy enough to pick up on a narrative when he or she hears it.

Nah I get what he saying.

Pac can have a 3 verse song and tell a different story per verse. Case in point, 'I ain't mad at cha'.....It don't even seem like he's story telling at times but he is.

Also I can't think of any other rap where the whole click tell parts of the same story like 'Teardrops and Closed Caskets".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpdz0PcJlU

Sometimes he vacillated between storytelling and free styling within the same verse. He starts out telling his own story then changes it up to tell you how he feel about the story (e.g. HellRazor). Then goes back and between the 2.....painting pictures with the stories. Same with Against All Odds starting with the 2nd verse.

https://www.youTube.com/watch?v=CppEdwTQptk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4cr1HGXaAw

Aight, I'll go back and listen to the songs you're suggesting and push the score up .5 if need be. The only problem I have with what you're suggesting is that bouncing around in that way is sometimes a cover for not being able to maintain a strong narrative. Stories have beginnings, middles, and ends. Sometimes we see rappers give snippets of stories and then move on. That's not really good storytelling. That's what I think a lot of Pacs stories boil down to, but let me check the songs you're suggesting to verify. Others can weigh in though. If most of you think I need to make a change I'll do it.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Lyrics-5
    Delivery-5
    Language-5
    Storytelling-5
    Catalog-5
    Subject matter-5
    Creativity-5
    Collabo's-5
    Impact-5

SMMFH @ ? giving Pac a 3 for storytelling as if Against All Odds, All Eyez On Me, Hail Mary, Holla At Me, Teardrops & Closed Caskets, Who Do You Believe In, Hellrazor, Troublesome 96, arent amazing songs with full blown stories behind em. Most werent even fiction those were actually what he was goin thru.

Co ? sign...how the ? is Pac a 3 in storytelling... mind boggling
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ok, so here is Troublesome 96.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdX79pwyBII

It was named as an example of his Storytelling. It's a great song, but it's not a good story track. There is a somewhat loose narrative in it, but it's not a clear story. Here are the lyrics.

Compare this song to Somebody's Got to Die. That's a story about revenge just as this seems to be. Biggie walked you through a clear narrative from the beginning (him being informed that a friend was killed) through the middle (him making preparations to get revenge) to the end (him finding and killing the person that committed the offense). It was told masterfully and everything was covered.

Now look at this "story." Whats the beginning, middle, and end? Do all the thoughts and elements of the story flow together clearly. Hell just look at the beginning. In the second stanza, he starts it off with "So revenge, I swore..." Revenge for what? Nothing in the first verse implies that anything in particular happened to him that needed avenging. Read the rest of the stanza. He just said he swore revenge, but the rest of the stanza has nothing to do with that. It's just him puffing himself up as a boss. Look at the fourth stanza. He talks about being shot and the enemy being terrified. So for the first time, he identfies the target, but the rest of that stanza is padding. It doesn't advance a narrative at all. You could probably tell this story in 8 lines because it's that simple. This doesn't even compare to most great stories in rap.
    Troublesome,
    Nineteen muthaf***in' 96'
    West side, let it be known, n****
    Boss of all bosses, Makaveli

Menacin' methods label me a lethal weapon
    Making n****s die, witnessin' breathless imperfections
    Can you picture my specific plan to be the man in this wicked land
    Under handed hits are planned, scams are plotted over grams of rock
    Undercover agents die by the random shots, we all die in the end

So revenge, I swore, I was all about my ends, f*** friends and foes
    Me, a born leader, never leave the block without my, my heata
    Got me a dog, named him Mobb B**** N**** Eata
    What could they do to me that little brat? S*** them, n****s

That shot me and still terrified I'll get their a**, how can I show you
    How I feel inside? We outlawz motherf***as, can't ? my pride
    N****s, talk a lot of s*** but that's after I'm gone 'cause they fear me
    In physical form, let it be known, I'm troublesome

All ya n****s die, put it down to the fullest
    Spittin' rhymes and bullets, troublesome, I know what time it is
    Call the punk police please, they can't stop us n****s run the streets

Troublesome, gutter ways my mentality is ghetto
    We're guerrillas in this criminal war, we all rebels
    Death before dishonor bet on bomb on them first n****s
    We came for murder, pullin' up in a hearse
    Westside was the war cry bustin' all freely screaming f***

All y'all n****s in Swahili, pistol packin' fresh out of jail
    I ain't goin' back, release me to care of my heartless strap
    Say my name three times like candy man, bet I roll on your a**
    Like an avalanche, a soul survivor, learned to get high
    And pull drive bys, murder my foes, can't control my nine

Hearin' thoughts of my enemies pleadin' please
    Busta a** motherf***as tried to flee, picture me lettin'
    This chump survive, redin' up on his a** when I'm doped
    He die, 'cause I'm troublesome

All ya n****s, die young, strapped and I don't give a f***
    I'm hopeless, I live a thug life loosin' my focus, baby
    I'm troublesome, bad boy killa, there is no one realla
    What you saw was the rough, rugged and raw, outlaw

Murder, murder my mind states s*** ain't change
    Since my last rhyme, the crime rate ain't decline
    N****s bustin' shots like they lost their mind
    Like twenty-five to life never crossed their mind
    Tell me young n**** never learned a thang

Dead at thirteen 'cause he yearned to bang
    Sent a lot of flowers but how can I cry
    Tried to warn the little n****, either stop or die
    Mercy is for the weak when I speak, I scream
    Afraid to sleep I'm havin' crazy dreams

Vivid pictures of my enemies and family times
    ? to forgive me 'cause it's wrong but I plan to die
    You can take me to heaven and understand I was a G
    Did the best I could, raised in insanity or send me to hell
    'Cause I ain't beggin' for my life, ain't nothing worse
    Than this cursed a** hopeless life, I'm troublesome

All ya n****s die in your wildest dreams
    You couldn't picture a n**** like me, I'm troublesome
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BIG wish he had the talent Pac had
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    BIG wish he had the talent Pac had

???? Shut up ?
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Great thread series, terrible execution. It really should be take everyones score and average it out. Minus the all 5 crowd and ? .