Options
    3rd best Laker ever
    4th best NBA Player alltime
    Will never be Jordan
  • newOldSchool
    newOldSchool Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Kobe is a better defender than Magic and Bird were.....So a 6th ring will put him ahead of Magic as a Laker and ahead of Bird for top 5 or 6 ALL TIME. The jury is still out on that MJ comparison tho, maybe another ring or two might change that tho.

yeah man... if he somehow was able to get 7 rings that would make things very interesting.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    He still trailing Robert Horry.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ROFL Bilfiger so flustered in this thread doggy. As much as I could care less about a stat geek, he STILL got ethered statistically when you put the ? into context.

Yes, Kobe is an all around better player. Already the best Laker ever and a top 3 player ever. After he wins his 6th you have to put him as Jordan's equivalent and after he wins his 7th and 8th (which he will) he undoubtedly will surpass Michael for GOAT.

You're not gonna get objective and realistic people in here but it is what it is. From a skill standpoint he is already clearly better than Michael.. all that's left is what really matters, winning.
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    peagle05 wrote: »
    that is the LAST thing we need

ROFL that's exactly the same thing I was thinking
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Prime Kobe vs Prime Jordan....Their best statistical seasons. Yo, that matchup would've been WWIII

Name Age Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

MJ 23 86–87 CHI 82 82 40.0 0.482 0.182 0.857 2.0 3.2 5.2 4.6 2.88 1.52 3.32 2.9 37.1
    KB 27 05-06 LAL 80 80 41.0 0.450 0.347 0.850 0.9 4.4 5.3 4.5 1.8 0.4 3.13 2.91 35.4

Jordan couldn't shoot 3s with a snifer rifle
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Kobe was a sidekick....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Kobe was a sidekick....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lol,best "sidekick" EVER
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Kobe is overrated and when I say overrated I mean he is not a Top 5 all time player and his reputation as a scorer is also overrated. Lets analyze a few things:

Kobe is currently 6th on the all time scoring list, but he is also 8th all time in shots missed. Kobe averages at least 1000 missed shots a year, so playing the averages Kobe will end up being in 1st all time in missed shots while not even being top 5 in all time scoring. That is very significant. Kobe is known to be a great shooter, but he consistently misses a enormously high number of shots. While being a top 10 scorer, he also rates at the bottom half of all time scorers in scoring percentage. Kobe is also getting up in age and his skills or diminishing, so with that being said his scoring percentage is going to decrease even more and his average is also going to decrease. What does this all mean?

Kobe is what you call, a volume scorer. There is no evidence to prove that Kobe is an amazing shooter or a better shooter than Jordan.
  • smittysmith
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jordan couldn't shoot 3s with a snifer rifle

But yet and still when Kobe's career is over his 3 point % is going to be nearly identical to Jordan's.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Kobe is overrated and when I say overrated I mean he is not a Top 5 all time player and his reputation as a scorer is also overrated. Lets analyze a few things:

Kobe is currently 6th on the all time scoring list, but he is also 8th all time in shots missed. Kobe averages at least 1000 missed shots a year, so playing the averages Kobe will end up being in 1st all time in missed shots while not even being top 5 in all time scoring. That is very significant. Kobe is known to be a great shooter, but he consistently misses a enormously high number of shots. While being a top 10 scorer, he also rates at the bottom half of all time scorers in scoring percentage. Kobe is also getting up in age and his skills or diminishing, so with that being said his scoring percentage is going to decrease even more and his average is also going to decrease. What does this all mean?

Kobe is what you call, a volume scorer. There is no evidence to prove that Kobe is an amazing shooter or a better shooter than Jordan.

All this means diddly ? without context.

Jordan had an higher IQ & was smart enough to get most of his points 10-15 feet away from the basket. Therefore, he easily averaged .500 FG%.

Kobe's more stubborn & gets most of his points from jumpshots, 3 pointers & contested shots. Ergo...he hovers around .440 FG%.

You can't celebrate Jordan & shame Kobe without acknowledging those facts. That's like me calling Shaq a best shooter because of his high FG% without acknowleging the fact that Shaq is 7"1, 300lbs & mostly scored layups. If Kobe played the game more safe & close to the hole....he'd have a better FG%.

There is evidence that Kobe's a better shooter. Kobe has a higher 3PT% (.337 to Jordan's .332 & Jordan had 4 seasons below .190...Kobe never shot that low from the 3).

The best 3pt season for Jordan - .500 from the three, he made 900/attempted 1800.

Kobe's best 3pt stats - 2003, .383%, made 1500/attempted 4000.

Not even close to how many Kobe jacks up...If Jordan tried to be a volume shooter & shot as many threes as Kobe, his averages would decrease as they did in 1996 - made 1400/attempted 3600 .374%
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    But yet and still when Kobe's career is over his 3 point % is going to be nearly identical to Jordan's.

Probably a sliver or two above Jordan's......but, when you look behind the numbers, Kobe attempted on average twice as many 3's as Jordan. Its alot easier have a higher average when you barely take shots. If you took 3 tests & got 95s on each one are you really smarter than the kid who got 100 on 9 tests & 20 on one? Numbers can lie sometimes.
  • smittysmith
    edited April 2011
    Options
    All this means diddly ? without context.

Jordan had an higher IQ & was smart enough to get most of his points 10-15 feet away from the basket. Therefore, he easily averaged .500 FG%.

Kobe's more stubborn & gets most of his points from jumpshots, 3 pointers & contested shots. Ergo...he hovers around .440 FG%.

You can't celebrate Jordan & shame Kobe without acknowledging those facts. That's like me calling Shaq a best shooter because of his high FG% without acknowleging the fact that Shaq is 7"1, 300lbs & mostly scored layups. If Kobe played the game more safe & close to the hole....he'd have a better FG%.

There is evidence that Kobe's a better shooter. Kobe has a higher 3PT% (.337 to Jordan's .332 & Jordan had 4 seasons below
    .190...Kobe never shot that low from the 3)

Ok, you say that Kobe is stubborn and doesn't play the game smartly by playing more inside 10-15 feet but instead chooses to jack up jump shots, but at the same time you say Kobe was/is more dangerous of a scorer...you can't have your cake and eat it too. Jordan in his prime was an unstoppable force when getting to the rim even more so than Lebron James, Kobe never showed this type of ability in his career because he simply didn't possess the ability to do so. Kobe didn't have Jordan's quickness and explosiveness to get to the rim in that manner which why in his career he was irrefutably a volume shooter. Yes, I agree he was a better 3 pt shooter, but that's only one aspect of scoring. When it comes to overall scoring ability and efficiency he isn't even in Jordan's league.
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    27 pages thou???
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ok, you say that Kobe is stubborn and doesn't play the game smartly by playing more inside 10-15 feet but instead chooses to jack up jump shots, but at the same time you say Kobe was/is more dangerous of a scorer...you can't have your cake and eat it too. Jordan in his prime was an unstoppable force when getting to the rim even more so than Lebron James, Kobe never showed this type of ability in his career because he simply didn't possess the ability to do so. Kobe didn't have Jordan's quickness and explosiveness to get to the rim in that manner which why in his career he was irrefutably a volume shooter. Yes, I agree he was a better 3 pt shooter, but that's only one aspect of scoring. When it comes to overall scoring ability and efficiency he isn't even in Jordan's league.

I think Jordan is a more consistent shooter...the better overall scorer.

I think Kobe is the more dangerous shooter. No disrespect to Kobe for saying this....but, he's JR Smith on Amphetamines, Coke & XZT. If Kobe is off, he's off. He gets too confident & takes bad shots because he's made them before. But when he's on, you get 81 points, 62 points in 3 quarters & sits out, streak of 50 point games, a month averaging 40 points or more. When he's hot...can't nobody ? with him.

If I was a NBA coach...I'd be prepared with Prime Jordan. I'd know he gonna get his each night. It's nothing I can do. Consistent.

If I was a NBA coach....I'd be scared of Prime Kobe, because I dont know which Kobe would play that night. The hardheaded arrogant bastard or the ? who outscores my entire team. Dangerous.
  • smittysmith
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think Jordan is a more consistent shooter...the better overall scorer.

I think Kobe is the more dangerous shooter. No disrespect to Kobe for saying this....but, he's JR Smith on Amphetamines, Coke & XZT. If Kobe is off, he's off. He gets too confident & takes bad shots because he's made them before. But when he's on, you get 81 points, 62 points in 3 quarters & sits out, streak of 50 point games, a month averaging 40 points or more. When he's hot...can't nobody ? with him.

If I was a NBA coach...I'd be prepared with Prime Jordan. I'd know he gonna get his each night. It's nothing I can do. Consistent.

If I was a NBA coach....I'd be scared of Prime Kobe, because I dont know which Kobe would play that night. The hardheaded arrogant bastard or the ? who outscores my entire team. Dangerous.

I see wat ur saying.

I have to say this though, in his prime Jordan never went full out for 48 straight minutes like Kobe did against the raptors.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jordan rules was one team ? ...one team LOL

Jordan said he's average 50 points in 2000s because of no Handchecking & soft Defenses. Well....both were outlawed by the mid 90s (1994) & Jordan averaged less. Makes you wonder :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL @ Kobe hitting his career high his 10th season while Jordan was no where near his 37.4ppg peak his 10th season.
  • smittysmith
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jordan rules was one team ? ...one team LOL

Jordan said he's average 50 points in 2000s because of no Handchecking & soft Defenses. Well....both were outlawed by the mid 90s (1994) & Jordan averaged less. Makes you wonder :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL @ Kobe hitting his career high his 10th season & Jordan never getting back to the 86 season peak

In his defence, he still averaged 30 while being past his peak. Kobe was also in his physical peak in 02-03 his best season by far.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    In his defence, he still averaged 30 while being past his peak. Kobe was also in his physical peak in 02-03 his best season by far.

Everybody's allowed their opinions

02-03 - 30 ppg
    05-06 - 35.4 ppg

I think Kobe hit his peak in 2005, round 27 years old. Not too old, not too young. Still was athletic, started being more skilled. ? shame, for the NBA History & game in general that Kobe didn't get a chance to run the Lakers offense when he was younger like Lebron or Wade........every statline gives the inclination that he would've erupted like Jordan pre-Pippen.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    LOL @ Mike shooting .132, .167, .172, .182 & .189 behind the arc. ? ......132!!!

LOL @ Kobe being the youngest NBA Player to get 6 rings this June

LOL @ the GOAT retiring & his team losing two less games the next year. Pau Gasol wouldn't make it out the First round.

LOL @ Jordan being 0-6 without Scottie Pippen

LOL @ the GOAT taking 4 quarters & 2 overtimes to score 69 points while his :rolleyes: copy :rolleyes: did that ? in 3 quarters & ate a Honeybun for the rest of the game.

LOL @ Mike being bullied by Isiah Thomas & Joe Dumars for 3 years.

LOL @ the GOAT never dropping 81. ? team or not.

LOL @ Mike being the Lebron James of the 80s. By the time Mike made it to the Finals, all his "true" peers had AIDS & Osteoporosis. Like Bron..Kobe gonna be 36 before they meet up.

LOL @ age being a difference. NBA career goes by minutes logged & years played, not age. Otherwise T-Mac would still be playing.

LOL @ Jordan getting shut down by Gary Payton.

LOL @ Jordan playing Baseball.

LOL @ Kobe scoring 55 on Jordan

LOL @ Iverson crossing Jordan

LOL @ Kobe going straight to the league & Jordan being cut from his HS team
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ? ITS OVA this smittysmith cat just came and sprayed the thread up wit more factual info that closes this thread some more

Maalik is nothing but a cosigner at this point you piggybackin posts and you're one emotional guy over this subject

AKA the Truth hurts

You dont want to play this game you look foolish,And I've been sonning this thread ugly wit FACTS for 2 days

No you've done the Blank tactic. Duck everything but very minor points that you cherry pick to reply too, then repeat the same ? over and over without ever replying to the counter argument against it. Then declare victory.
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Kobe without Shaq = back to back rings
    Jordan without Pippen= 1 - 10 playoff record
    Pippen without Jordan = 55–27 record, 1 blown call away from Eastern Conference Finals

Enjoy.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yea...the ? your ? can't excuse. LOL @ ? thinking he the authority on this ? . ? it's been 3 days, I got ? to do, you won.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Nah Kobe without shaq was 34-48 3rd Laker team In lakers history to miss the playoffs

Kobes record without shaq in playoffs 4-8

Kobes record before gasol 121-125 2 1st round Exits after gasol 239-84

Enjoy

5th Laker team... Chucky Atkins starting at point and Chris Mihm at center.

Kobe missed over 20 games. ? outta here. And the west was tough. The Lakers were on the verge of making the playoffs before Kobe got injured.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    Kobe without Shaq = back to back rings
    Jordan without Pippen= 1 - 10 playoff record
    Pippen without Jordan = 55–27 record, 1 blown call away from Eastern Conference Finals

Enjoy.

Just leave it alone bruh....

Everybody knows Kobe on his way to his 3rd ring w/o Shaq this year. Kobe winning thse rings by himself, only a ? would compare Pau to Scottie Pippen. He the only ? that wanna dispute ? . Just let him. Far as he's concerned, it's 1997