48÷2(9+3) = ???

Options

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    they are saying the parenthesis go away after you do 9 + 3 ... which is true. then you would have to do the division first because its on the left. division and multiplication are technically the same operations they are just opposites like adding is opposite to subtraction. so i see what you're saying and i see what they are saying but the main thing about this is something that no one has picked up on yet ... i think fiat did tho but i guess he didnt see me quote him cause he never responded

I actually mentioned the symbols awhile back. One specifies long division and one doesnt. The thread title and OP reference the long division symbol.
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My FB friends is split so far. This makes no sense Lmao
  • cuttadc13
    cuttadc13 Members Posts: 1,626 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    binstar wrote: »
    i hope you guys figured out that this is 288 by now.

multiplication and division are ranked the same in order of operations so you go left to right at that point. parenthesis first then multiplication or division from left to right and then addition or subtraction from left to right.

also you can verify this by doing a google search for 48 / 2 (9 + 3) or using a good calculator.

smh...lol i swear some of u ? should sue ur teachers...the answer is 2...stop trying to ignore the fact that the 2 is attached to the problem in the parenthesis...LOOK at how it's written...you always target the problem in parenthesis and the 2 is part of it...why would you abandon 2(12) as a problem in itself????
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    cuttadc13 wrote: »
    48÷2*(9+3) = 48÷2*(12) = 48÷24 = 2

explain to me why you wouldn't do it this way and I'll leave it alone...
    no matter how u look at it...you do parenthesis first, multiply the 2 towards the 12 thats still in parenthesis(there is no argument to that...NONE..so don't try to make one up) and then u do the simple left over division...you get 2. YOU DONT DIVIDE BEFORE YOU MULTIPLY!!..thats basic algebra, u do left to right when the problem is completely broken down, not during. This problem is not supposed to be that difficult. yall making up rules n ?

I can only say this is how I was taught to do it, and copy/paste the response of someone more knowledgeable.
    theRussian wrote: »
    It's not.

PEDMAS is completely ? and doesn't understand that Division and Multiplication has the exactly same order of operation priority, therefore whatever one comes first is the one that takes priority.

It's 288, this is not up for discussion. We are not reinventing the ? damn writing styles of basic math.

ORDER OF PRIORITY:
    Parentheses
    Exponents
    Division == Multiplication
    Summation == Subtraction

If you see any of the ones that equal each other next to each other, you do the one left-most first, and then the next. Again, this is not up for discussion. Thread over.
  • cuttadc13
    edited April 2011
    Options
    they are saying the parenthesis go away after you do 9 + 3 ... which is true. then you would have to do the division first because its on the left. division and multiplication are technically the same operations they are just opposites like adding is opposite to subtraction. so i see what you're saying and i see what they are saying but the main thing about this is something that no one has picked up on yet ... i think fiat did tho but i guess he didnt see me quote him cause he never responded

that isn't true in this algebraic equation tho...because that 2 is right next to that parenthesis..it becomes apart of that problem... people are ? up by writing it out and seeing it as :48 ÷ 2 x (9+3) and then 48 ÷ 2 x 12... thats causing people to see it as a separation when it's not
  • cuttadc13
    edited April 2011
    Options
    glowy wrote: »
    I can only say this is how I was taught to do it, and copy/paste the response of someone more knowledgeable.

LMAO and what makes that person more knowledgeable??? because the answer they got and the one u got are the same?? gtfoh
  • glowy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    LMAO and what makes that person more knowledgeable??? because the answer they got and the one u got are the same?? gtfoh

No, I consider him more knowledgeable because his a physics major, which just lets me know that he is pretty good at math.
  • cuttadc13
    edited April 2011
    Options
    glowy wrote: »
    No, I consider him more knowledgeable because his a physics major, which just lets me know that he is pretty good at math.

physics majors aint never wrong?? lol aight..smh. Even tho I see how 288 was created, but why would you separate terms in algebra. 2(9+3) is a problem by itself...YOU HAVE TO FACTOR THIS ? FIRST...but aight, whatever yall say...smh

this is the same as:

2(9+3)

right??....so why wouldn't you complete the 2(9+3) first? lol where is there a professor when u need one?

• cuttadc13
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Consider this: 48/2x=2. Solve for x.

the relationship between 2(9+3) and 2x is the same, right or wrong?
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My FB friends is split so far. This makes no sense Lmao

im gonna put this on my FB tommorrow and LOL !!!!
  • glowy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    physics majors aint never wrong?? lol aight..smh. Even tho I see how 288 was created, but why would you separate terms in algebra. 2(9+3) is a problem by itself...YOU HAVE TO FACTOR THIS ? FIRST...but aight, whatever yall say...smh

this is the same as:

2(9+3)

right??....so why wouldn't you complete the 2(9+3) first? lol where is there a professor when u need one?

Didn't say that. My initial answer was 288, and at first I was unsure, until someone I consider to know more than me came up with the same conclusion, and I don't multiply 2 with 12 because 2 is not within the parentheses, so I don't include the 2 with 9+3.

If it was written like this my answer would have been 2.
    48÷(2(9+3)
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Scientific calculator says 288
  • cuttadc13
    edited April 2011
    Options
    straight from a professor:

Lower Level Math Before Theorems and Properties Have been Introduced = 288

Higher Level Math After Theorems and Properties Have been Introduced= 2

lol so i guess both can be right.....BUT ? THAT..the answer is 2!!! lol

other proof...note the separation..smh

BcFh5.jpg

You decide...im done..smh
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    smh...lol i swear some of u ? should sue ur teachers...the answer is 2...stop trying to ignore the fact that the 2 is attached to the problem in the parenthesis...LOOK at how it's written...you always target the problem in parenthesis and the 2 is part of it...why would you abandon 2(12) as a problem in itself????
    The answer doesn't end up being 2 because there is a 2 next to the parenthesis, it ends up being 2 because you've included the (9+3) in the denominator.

No matter how you treat it, as long as you initially include the (9+3) in the denominator, the answer is the same:
    im9xem.png

That's the difference.

Math with fiat.
    ik8dlc.png
  • **2sweet**
    **2sweet** Members Posts: 205
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • makaveli03
    makaveli03 Members Posts: 2,392
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ? math..............
  • cuttadc13
    edited April 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    The answer doesn't end up being 2 because there is a 2 next to the parenthesis, it ends up being 2 because you've included the (9+3) in the denominator.

No matter how you treat it, as long as you initially include the (9+3) in the denominator, the answer is the same:
    im9xem.png

That's the difference.

Math with fiat.
    ik8dlc.png

shortcuts FTW bruh...didn't even have to go thru all that to kno it was 2 tho... but props for the extended explanation of getting the correct answer
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lol. The answer is 2. Anyone who thinks its not will also vote for Sarah Palin in the next election
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    16h6ja8.jpg
    Datdude87 wrote: »
    ...both answers r right...math lost...
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Nope it's 2. Gotta completely solve the parentheses until they're no longer present first.
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    lol. The answer is 2. Anyone who thinks its not will also vote for Sarah Palin in the next election

All dat.......................
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This thread can be used as a model example of why im against the prussian education system in its current form. the issue doesnt have to do with order of operations like most here are mistakenly assuming. it has to do with whether the term (9+3) is in the denominator or not. notation seems to be the issue at hand here. the equation can be written one of two ways. and due to the intended ambiguity of it, the ÷ symbol can represent separation from numerator and denominator. where everything to the left is numerator and everything right is denominator. but it can also represent and be synonymous with the / symbol which implies division. but without any added information, the most normal and basic conventions take precedence. so the same way implicit multiplication implies that 12x is the same as x*12, we can also assume that in this instance 48/2(9+3) is the same as 48/2*(9+3). which the answer will ultimately be 288. but the answer can be 2 as well if the creator of the OP intended for the ÷ symbol to imply long division. but since we dont have that information at hand, we cannot add conventions that are not there
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lmao @ me just seeing this......yall are hilarious
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ?

Y'all should be out rioting with how public schools do you

Non fraction ass ?

It's 2
  • Mr. Terrific
    Mr. Terrific Members Posts: 483
    edited April 2011
    Options
    square root of 69 is 8 something...
  • glowy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    What I do know is if I got a problem like this in class and said 2, it would have been counted wrong.

/shrug, maybe they do things different in the midwest.
This discussion has been closed.