Options

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    How predictable, i guess that's a checkmate for me

It's a checkmate because you did not understand what I was saying?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What if the people that turned there life over to the lord and promised to obey and follow Jesus. What if the day Jesus returned he took all his followers with him to "heaven". But then Jesus turned out to be an alien from another planet and he took his followers to another planet or a place called heaven and they were turned into slaves.

so i got cussed out and called all types of lowlife atheists and what not. And when they asked why do i beilieve this or even have the guts to ask.....i took them about thinking outside the box and the sumerians and how they could have possibly been created to be slaves for an alien race and whatever....

but why do people get so definsive about religion and just shut out anything else or any other possibility. but what if this did happen?
  • ceothachosen1
    ceothachosen1 Members Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    its a programed rection they are taught not to question ?
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lmao that actually sounds more feasible than the Bible's version
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    why the ? would you ask that after a church service? Know your audience, fam. What did you expect?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    There have been some interesting studies in brainwashing. It has shown that you're brainwashed when you take on or "introject" an idea that isn't yours, that is someone else's. And the funny thing is that you'll be ready to die for this idea. Isn't that strange? The first test of whether you've been brainwashed and have introjected convictions and beliefs occurs the moment they're attacked. You feel stunned, you react emotionally. That's a pretty good sign - not infallible, but a pretty good sign - that we're dealing with brainwashing. You're ready to die for an idea that never was yours. Terrorists or saints (so called) take on an idea, swallow it whole, and are ready to die for it. It's not easy to listen, especially when you get emotional about an idea. ~ Anthony DeMello
  • Lambent
    Lambent Members Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    why the ? would you ask that after a church service? Know your audience, fam. What did you expect?

Well, if that was me, I certainly wouldn't expect them to lash out in anger and hate and start cussing me out inside the church. I would expect a peaceful and loving discussion.

oh wait.......
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Church going people are some of the most gullible low intelligence sheep you will ever meet. They are taught a 2 thousand year old book is the end all be all and never question it.

"? fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer
    Guess it's just the fury of man"

Nas
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lambent wrote: »
    Well, if that was me, I certainly wouldn't expect them to lash out in anger and hate and start cussing me out inside the church. I would expect a peaceful and loving discussion.

oh wait.......

When you assault something that's integral to someone's identity how do you expect them to act? It's like calling a ? whitey type dude a "sell out". These people obviously built their lives around this thing, who is he to question them on it? This isn't the 1600's anymore. The battle between science and religion is over....Science won. If someone chooses to make religion the foundation upon which they build their lives, who's this guy to question that in their place of worship?

It's corny. That's some ? I would have done in high school. But guess what....I grew up.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Why'd you ask right after church? You couldn't ask that question on a Tuesday?
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »

He wanted a reaction so he could post about it on the interpages.
  • Lambent
    Lambent Members Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    When you assault something that's integral to someone's identity how do you expect them to act? It's like calling a ? whitey type dude a "sell out". These people obviously built their lives around this thing, who is he to question them on it? This isn't the 1600's anymore. The battle between science and religion is over....Science won. If someone chooses to make religion the foundation upon which they build their lives, who's this guy to question that in their place of worship?

It's corny. That's some ? I would have done in high school. But guess what....I grew up.

"oh wait..."

^ I was being sarcastic. Aside from that, I disagree with the bolded, you shouldn't ask question that may go against the grain just because someone might catch feelings?
  • Mellow Hype
    Mellow Hype Members Posts: 916
    edited July 2011
    Options
    That's the Christian way. Just believe and don't ask questions.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    "oh wait..."

^ I was being sarcastic. Aside from that, I disagree with the bolded, you shouldn't ask question that may go against the grain just because someone might catch feelings?

iknowrite

Going with that train of thought, social change would never occur.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited July 2011
    Options
    "oh wait..."

I would never say that. But do it in the correct forum. What he did is no different than those Westboro Baptist Church ? protesting at funerals. It's classless. You can have discussions without being a ? . Why go to the ? church if that's what you're gonna do? At bible study? Sure. Sunday School? yeah, I did it all the time. But after a service when usually emotions are high and people are feeling good to ask something like that. C'mon, bruh.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited July 2011
    Options
    iknowrite

Going with that train of thought, social change would never occur.

Yeah, b/c enlightenment took place in the church and not the bath house/coffee shops.

the point isn't what he said, it's where he said it.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    if that was true what would be his reason to take his followers as slaves? and who would satan be?
  • CM007
    CM007 Members Posts: 71
    edited July 2011
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    What if the people that turned there life over to the lord and promised to obey and follow Jesus. What if the day Jesus returned he took all his followers with him to "heaven". But then Jesus turned out to be an alien from another planet and he took his followers to another planet or a place called heaven and they were turned into slaves.

so i got cussed out and called all types of lowlife atheists and what not. And when they asked why do i beilieve this or even have the guts to ask.....i took them about thinking outside the box and the sumerians and how they could have possibly been created to be slaves for an alien race and whatever....

but why do people get so definsive about religion and just shut out anything else or any other possibility. but what if this did happen?

Everything in bold is apart of the Ancient Astronaut Theory. It all goes under the belief that the "gods" that ancients worship were in fact visitors from another planet.

Considering these same ancient people believed that the sun revolved around the earth, and that our planet was flat for the greater part of mankind's life here on earth; I don't think it is a stretch to think that they mistook aliens as being ? .

With that said, you lucky that you only got cussed out. In a lot of churches you would of gotten your ass whooped and hit with a couple of purses.
  • CM007
    CM007 Members Posts: 71
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ice_cold wrote: »
    if that was true what would be his reason to take his followers as slaves? and who would satan be?

reading that made me think of Pastor Troy vice versa
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    CM007 wrote: »
    reading that made me think of Pastor Troy vice versa

never listened to that b4
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    "Life in the perspective if ? was a ? . Said if ? was a ? , there wouldn't be no nuclear bombs, no wars, no ? like that cause that aint in a ? 's nature."

Doughboy
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited July 2011
    Options

i grew up also....and thats why i asked instead of like when i was 12 and couldnt question ?
    also why cant i question something....
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »

because of the direction the service went.....if the pastor keep talking about when jesus returns and opens up the sky.....guess what im thinking? ding!
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited July 2011
    Options
    He wanted a reaction so he could post about it on the interpages.

you got me all figured out.....
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Why did you go to church?

i want to learn about something before i ask questions...
    im not going to question just because....
    just because i asked a question like that doesnt mean i dont believe....just curious

i didnt go thru high school not asking questions no matter how they may sound,....at least i dont say say ok ...ill take your word for it