Options

Comments

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    that's where i strongly disagree...
    and that's why i keep telling yall about bible college...

every preacher/pastor/reverand isn't the same....

some are extremely down to earth, some have absolutely no problems keeping it realistic, logical and all that...
    a lot of them came from shady backgrounds, and have personally witnessed a chain of events bringing them to the point they're at in life, and use their experinces as a walking testamonie....

sooooo many ppl get caugfht uo in the correuption of a few that they miss out on the reallness ang geunie expernices of those that are really ehre to help ppl with the same struggles they once been throguh themselves...

a lot more people need to understand that it's verypossible a certain church or preacher may not be the one for them, and they need to move around until they find the enviorment that best suits their religious pursuit...

anyone with the questions in life that are posed in this thgread really do not belong in a old fashion church on sunday mornings where there's nothign but a lotta shouting and no real learning taking place.....

i really wish all of yall could have done what i did to get back into church, but all i can continue to tell u is how it wokred for me and hope that some of theose who have the questions and desires get something from waht i type...

find a teachging church, a pator who has regular classes where the word is taugh along with questions being asked..

anmd find a pastor who is willing to talk to u on the level where it will actualy sink, and u feel comfortable that yall really having a constructive conversation on the matters...

trust me it makes a difference

i wanna hear the preacher tell the congregation the real truth. good folk will die. u can pray about it til u blue in the face but nothing will change it. ? up ? happens just use faith to deal with it. aint no one ever come back from the dead to tell us what heaven or hell is like. look at this scenerio

family prays for traveling grace as they travel. they arrive safely (thanks ? for allowing them to travel safely)
    passes a family that has a flat tire (thanks ? for them not having one)
    family has a wreck but no one gets hurt (? is good he kept us safe)
    all this is good right but say they have a wreck cuz they were hit by a ? driver on the way killing everyone but the child. (Is that Gods will?) thank ? for saving the child but everyone else who were Christians died?
    The real is that in life ? up ? happens. faith and religion are key aspects in helping you keep your sanity and deal/ cope with it. I believe in a ? /ULTIMATE POWER. but teh whole religion/church aspect of it I struggle with
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    i wanna hear the preacher tell the congregation the real truth. good folk will die. u can pray about it til u blue in the face but nothing will change it. ? up ? happens just use faith to deal with it. aint no one ever come back from the dead to tell us what heaven or hell is like. look at this scenerio

family prays for traveling grace as they travel. they arrive safely (thanks ? for allowing them to travel safely)
    all this is good right but say they have a wreck cuz they were hit by a ? driver on the way killing everyone but the child. (Is that Gods will?) thank ? for saving the child but everyone else who were Christians died?
    The real is that in life ? up ? happens. faith and religion are key aspects in helping you keep your sanity and deal/ cope with it. I believe in a ? /ULTIMATE POWER. but teh whole religion/church aspect of it I struggle with
    i swear, everytime my pastor does a funeral..i think somsone is just gonna zap out...cuz he goes HARD... and i mean HARD....

i really think all yall would really benefit in life if yall joined a church like mines
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    when i was in junior high school i asked a minister how come the dinosaurs werent in the bible.

he said dinosaur fossils were really "the bones of giant chickens and other animals" from the time of Adam.

dude seriously told me that chickens used to be 40 feet tall before sin.

damn...adam and eve was eatin good like a muhfucka
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i swear, everytime my pastor does a funeral..i think somsone is just gonna zap out...cuz he goes HARD... and i mean HARD....

i really think all yall would really benefit in life if yall joined a church like mines

maybe I do. I just look at it as live life as a good person cuz we all got morals and know right from wrong and hopefully ull have more good than bad happen to u.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    damn...adam and eve was eatin good like a muhfucka

can you imagine how many ? you could feed with a 40 foot long chicken thigh
  • Dick Shitman
    edited June 2010
    Options
    can you imagine how many ? you could feed with a 40 foot long chicken thigh

well a couple of fish samiches fed thousands. the whole hood coulda ate off that chicken though
  • Dick Shitman
    edited June 2010
    Options
    what denom is your church, du?
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    maybe I do. I just look at it as live life as a good person cuz we all got morals and know right from wrong and hopefully ull have more good than bad happen to u.

my pastor broke it down like a plug in a wall....

when ur plugged in your connected, and you serve your purpose, but when ur not lugged in... you just exist....your still designed to do what ur here to do.. but unles your plugged in you'll never serve your true purpose...

and his purpose in life, is to help as many ppl get plugged in as possible.....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options

sounds like you would've benefited from hearing my dad talk religion...he always was open and honest about his opinions on things in the Bible and about Catholicism...negative and positive...part of the reason now why I look at religion the way I do
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    what denom is your church, du?

technically we're baptist....

but i don't think we run like a traditional baptist church....it's a whole different experince all together forreal....

but i'll stick with baptist
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    my pastor broke it down like a plug in a wall....

when ur plugged in your connected, and you serve your purpose, but when ur not lugged in... you just exist....your still designed to do what ur here to do.. but unles your plugged in you'll never serve your true purpose...

and his purpose in life, is to help as many ppl get plugged in as possible.....

So your pastor is Morpheus?
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So your pastor is Morpheus?

moprpheus was unplugging them
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I question any grown man who really looks to their pastor for answers. I bet that pastor is looking at you like your an idiot but he has to make his bread, so he thumps some scripture at you. If you can't respect that religon is a hustle then you need to grow up.
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I question any grown man who really looks to their pastor for answers. I bet that pastor is looking at you like your an idiot but he has to make his bread, so he thumps some scripture at you. If you can't respect that religon is a hustle then you need to grow up.

ur a smart dude, but this is a foolsih statement....

i mean i agree that a persons pastor isn't supposed to be their salvation, but there is nothing wrong to look for a pastor to help guide you on the correct track....

all pastors aren't crooks and conmen,
    some take their position in life very seriously and dedicate their lives to bringing people closer to ? ...

if you can't respect that.. then that's on you
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    some of ya'll really do seem like you're searching for answers to finally have something to believe in...if I didn't believe in ? , whether I actually do or not isn't the point, but if I didn't believe ? exists I wouldn't dedicate 1 second of my life to trying to understand why people do believe in him...it's pointless because your mind is already made up, nothing anybody can tell you about ? is going to convince you he exists...either you believe it or you don't...

Me personally , this is the most fascinating part about religion and the ? concept... its like, Mind manipulation to the highest degree. Very intriguing.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm an atheist, who never prayed for myself even when I was a Christian, and I always get what I want. Usually through some form of manipulation or by excelling in an area.

So, if I did pray for myself and got the same outcome, it wouldn't be because prayer "works", but because of the actions I took.

fiat_money wrote: »
    There was a fat chick in a wheelchair at the church I attended in my younger days, they "healed" her about once every six months or so.

She's still in the wheelchair, plus she developed cancer and diabetes last time I checked.
    ^^They constantly prayed for her as well, and she constantly deteriorates.

People only say prayer "works" after observing a situation have what they consider to be "good" outcome; when the situation had an initially undetermined outcome. An example would be of someone who is diagnosed with some form of cancer, who prays and returns to their pre-cancer state; people would say that the prayer is what helped them. This example follows the model, the outcome of the person's cancer was undetermined, and that person returned to their pre-cancer state; an outcome the observer consider considers "good". This is possible because there was a chance that the individual could recover from the cancer. However, if the situation had a determined outcome, the case would be different. Such as a person losing a leg in a car accident, even if they pray to regrow their leg, it will not happen, since humans can't regenerate limbs in such a manner. This situation's outcome is already determined, and there is no chance of the leg regrowing on its own; so people will either not expect prayer to work on it, or they won't pray for the leg to regrow.

If prayer truly worked, it'd change the outcome of of a situation with determined outcome to the desired outcome of whoever was praying; instead of merely being limited situations that already have a chance of having outcome that those praying will consider "good".

Saying prayer "works" is like saying someone can predict the future for guessing the correct number they'll roll on some dice.
  • notme
    notme Members Posts: 233 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    FAITH is just a euphemism for IGNORANCE

And since you can't prove that ? does NOT exist, you rely on that same FAITH as well to perpetuate your BELIEFS
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    If prayer truly worked, it'd change the outcome of of a situation with determined outcome to the desired outcome of whoever was praying; instead of merely being limited situations that already have a chance of having outcome that those praying will consider "good".

Saying prayer "works" is like saying someone can predict the future for guessing the correct number they'll roll on some dice.

I don't claim to know whether there is or is not a ? but I have observed some things from back in my "religious" days.

When you pray and it works, "? is good". When you pray and you are not answered, "it is not meant to be".

The thing about true faith is that it's unwavering... no matter how bad people get ethered, they still believe.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    How you gone ask a question like that?

What kind of prayer? What kind of content?

What are supposed to be the effects to know if it "works" or not?

I know the old "ask for anything in the name of Jesus" piece don't work. And according to what I've seen in the Bible and its source material when people prayed they asked for skill and understanding or something else internal to produce an external effect.
  • judahxulu
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Faith is not ignorance nor is it a noun...its an active process.

Lexicon Results
    Strong's H539 - 'aman
    אָמַן

Transliteration

'aman

Pronunciation

ä·man' (Key)

Part of Speech

verb

Root Word (Etymology)

A primitive root

TWOT Reference

Outline of Biblical Usage

1) to support, confirm, be faithful

a) (Qal)

1) to support, confirm, be faithful, uphold, nourish

a) foster-father (subst.)

b) foster-mother, nurse

c) pillars, supporters of the door

b) (Niphal)

1) to be established, be faithful, be carried, make firm

a) to be carried by a nurse

b) made firm, sure, lasting

c) confirmed, established, sure

d) verified, confirmed

e) reliable, faithful, trusty

c) (Hiphil)

1) to stand firm, to trust, to be certain, to believe in

a) stand firm

b) trust, believe
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    faith, in the context of religion or spirituality, means believing without evidence or despite evidence to the contrary
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    faith, in the context of religion or spirituality, means believing without evidence or despite evidence to the contrary

Nah brah.....

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

? is invisible but I know (faith) that He exists. Why? Because He has made Himself real to me. I have evidence of what can't be seen. I know ? is real and I know that what I have placed my hope in will come to pass. I know with all my mind, body, soul, heart, and spirit that I will live forever with ? . How bout you?

"25For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: 26And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see ? :
    27Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me."

Job 19:25-27
  • judahxulu
    edited June 2010
    Options

Whats up, my ? ??

Pleasantries aside..thats only one facet or interpretation of faith according to Webster's Dictionary

Main Entry: 1faith
    Pronunciation: \ˈfāth\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural faiths \ˈfāths, sometimes ˈfāthz\
    Etymology: Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust — more at bide
    Date: 13th century

1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to ? (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>
    synonyms see belief

— on faith : without question <took everything he said on faith>

In English, it is apparently a noun. Interesting stuff.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Nah brah.....

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1
    thats pretty much the exact same thing i said, dun
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    Whats up, my ? ??

Pleasantries aside..thats only one facet or interpretation of faith according to Webster's Dictionary

how are ya?

dictionary's track how people are currently using language. they're not the end all be all source for what words mean. i think we can agree that the word faith has different meanings in different contexts, and in the case of religion, faith is about electing to hold to a metaphysical conclusion whether or not its supported by available premises and evidences