Couple of christianity questions

Options

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Well according to your bible, "they" made us in their image so it's only right that i am ? .

interestesting........

you call it my bible, yet it still applies to you even though you don't seem to respect or believe it...
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And if you don't believe the Bible to be true, then of course there is no concrete evidence, because the Bible is the evidence.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    my cynical side tells me that church/prayer is a coping mechanism to help people deal with problems and the uncertainties of life. But my christian side tells me ? is in control. Its confusing and complicated
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    interestesting........

you call it my bible, yet it still applies to you even though you don't seem to respect or believe it...

I use the bible as a reference, but essentially everyone believes in the same higher power. Which is why i don't even see the ? point of organize religion, it's pretty much bureaucracy.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    "The hands that help are far better than the lips that pray"- Ingersoll

Some bed time reading:
    In the study, the researchers monitored 1,802 patients at six hospitals who received coronary bypass surgery, in which doctors reroute circulation around a clogged vein or artery.

The patients were broken into three groups. Two were prayed for; the third was not. Half the patients who received the prayers were told that they were being prayed for; half were told that they might or might not receive prayers.

The researchers asked the members of three congregations — St. Paul's Monastery in St. Paul; the Community of Teresian Carmelites in Worcester, Mass.; and Silent Unity, a Missouri prayer ministry near Kansas City — to deliver the prayers, using the patients' first names and the first initials of their last names.

The congregations were told that they could pray in their own ways, but they were instructed to include the phrase, "for a successful surgery with a quick, healthy recovery and no complications."

Analyzing complications in the 30 days after the operations, the researchers found no differences between those patients who were prayed for and those who were not
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html
    btw: the research was funded by a foundation that supports research into spirituality.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Well according to your bible, "they" made us in their image so it's only right that i am ? .

here I thought Hova was your ? .......Carter
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    On another note...it never made sense to me that people who self admittedly don't have faith in prayer, ? , or any religion to speak of....

have a much interest in the subject...

it's like people who are proud of the fact they don't beleve in ? are constantly looknig for the one debate, or the first piece of evidence to change their minds...

it's like the less religious a person claims to be.. the more they wanna debate and talk about it....
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i wonder who reads the bible more on a whole...

people who believe it, or those who don't beleive it....
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    my cynical side tells me that church/prayer is a coping mechanism to help people deal with problems and the uncertainties of life. But my christian side tells me ? is in control. Its confusing and complicated

I understand what u sayin fully bro, cuz sometimes I be feelin like that
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options

very....very....what kind of church do u go to??

i go to a teaching church...i actually got back into the churh from attending different classes they offerd....

there's no way i woulda got back in based off fo sunday services alone
  • aneed123
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I understand what u sayin fully bro, cuz sometimes I be feelin like that

Ive been in so many situations where I prayed and nothign happened. folk died, struggled etc... but there is always a instance where I pray and it gets answered..... faith is that coping mechanism tho cuz its hope. without it u would go crazy
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I use the bible as a reference, but essentially everyone believes in the same higher power. Which is why i don't even see the ? point of organize religion, it's pretty much bureaucracy.

essentially everyone... do you beleive in a higher power??

i mean a power higher than urself....
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This is a touchy situation wit me..

Cuz a lot of times I feel like only "I"

And sometimes I feel like theres "More"

Like I said before Wisdom, Knowledge, and Understanding
  • aneed123
    edited June 2010
    Options
    very....very....what kind of church do u go to??

i go to a teaching church...i actually got back into the churh from attending different classes they offerd....

there's no way i woulda got back in based off fo sunday services alone

Baptist. church. they teach but Church isnt gonna tell u the reality of it all. u gotta figure that out urself. Having faith and believing and being a good person may help u in the afterlife but here on earth it only goes so far
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    But what the ? does that have with ? or him fixing a situation, prayer is essentially the same ? ? as meditation. I guess simple people need something to believe in, instead of controlling their own destiny.

Real post of the thread.
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Baptist. church. they teach but Church isnt gonna tell u the reality of it all. u gotta figure that out urself. Having faith and believing and being a good person may help u in the afterlife but here on earth it only goes so far

yea, but what i'm saying is, i ws going to tuesday night bible college, and wedesday night services (which is only like 7-10 ppl wher everyone interacts and discusses things very different that sunday service) for about 2-3 months before i started coming back on sundays...

tuesdays and wendesdays were full of questions and discussions almost exactly like those we have in here every single day..

which is why i'm always telling ppl they needa stop ooking for answers on sundays and start dedicating some serious time towads the learning experince of understanding the bible if they want to be so critical on the bible and the church...

i mean if i was just going to church on sunday's i prolllie woulda lasted maybe 3 weeks before i stopped going again....

so much of understanding comes from taking thte time to really learn and discuss....

and i got that from going during the week.. it's a complete differnt experince all together....
  • fdouglass
    fdouglass Members Posts: 548
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Alot of people pray for stupid ? and go to church and come out the same ? they was before they went in, so in reality their hearts are not set on ? or the teachings of Jesus thats why their life is a constant rollercoaster.And their prayers dont get answered.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    On another note...it never made sense to me that people who self admittedly don't have faith in prayer, ? , or any religion to speak of....

have a much interest in the subject...

it's like people who are proud of the fact they don't beleve in ? are constantly looknig for the one debate, or the first piece of evidence to change their minds...

it's like the less religious a person claims to be.. the more they wanna debate and talk about it....

they looking for a reason to believe man.

it's sub-conscious thing. They all know that reason and logic do not point to some grand "Cosmic Coincidence" of life in the universe.
    To explain how everything in life just seems to “fit” and balance each other out.

Even more so seeing how the scientific community recently came to the conclusion that life itself should not exist

if Big Bang Theory is to be taken as actual fact. Why?

Because the collusion of matter and energy can't equal "exist" but more than likely non-exist.

so where do we come from?
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    here I thought Hova was your ? .......Carter

We know a book definetly aint your ?
  • aneed123
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yea, but what i'm saying is, i ws going to tuesday night bible college, and wedesday night services (which is only like 7-10 ppl wher everyone interacts and discusses things very different that sunday service) for about 2-3 months before i started coming back on sundays...

tuesdays and wendesdays were full of questions and discussions almost exactly like those we have in here every single day..

which is why i'm always telling ppl they needa stop ooking for answers on sundays and start dedicating some serious time towads the learning experince of understanding the bible if they want to be so critical on the bible and the church...

i mean if i was just going to church on sunday's i prolllie woulda lasted maybe 3 weeks before i stopped going again....

so much of understanding comes from taking thte time to really learn and discuss....

and i got that from going during the week.. it's a complete differnt experince all together....

I hear u. I grew up in the church went 4-5 days a week Prayer meeting , Bible study choir rehearsal etc.... my Church was right across the street from my house growing up. I ask questions. Hell I went to a Catholic school in elementary and I used to ask and compare lol with all that said the church sugar coats stuff and gives u a false sense of hope for a lot of life situations. Ive heard it was Gods will as a convenient answer to too many questions when bad things happen to people. its like if something good happens ? did it thank him for ur blessing but when something bad happens ur not supposed to blame/question him. Ive done a whole lot of praying these past 4 yrs and its tough when ? up ? happens to good people and in the back of my mind I feel ? could have helped
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    essentially everyone... do you beleive in a higher power??

i mean a power higher than urself....

I believe in consciousness, enlightment,ascension,knowledge, etc. I believe we all have the power to tap into it with proper meditation, i just don't believe there is this puppet master pulling strings and playing checkers. I would like to think we all have free will and control of our own lives
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    there loking for a reason man.

it's sub-consious thing. there all reason and logic do not point to some grand "Comsic Considence" of life in the unverivse.

Even more so seeing how the scenitific community recently came to the conclusion that life itself shound not exsit

Because the collusion of matter and energy would not equal "life" but non-exists

during my absolute worse i always had to acknowledge that there's too much that i can't explain in my own life for me to confidently say there's no ? ..
    it's like the part in Pulp Fiction, when Juelz and Vincent knew there was no way in the world they shoulda survived that kid shooting them at such close range....

too much weird stuff has happened in my life...so for the longest I used to chalk ? , religion, the bible and faith all together in the category of

"I JUST DON"T KNOW"
    my mothere has always been very religious... but i was just too far out there in the world to feel comfortable in the church....

then once i started calming down and started having more conversations with her...i found my way into bible college, then mid-week service, and eventually sundays again...

it's just a constant growth....

but i mean i honeslty think some of these threads is the first step for some of these dudes who claim they have no faith.. so in a way, i guess 'm serving my purpose...

yall can all thank me later
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I hear u. I grew up in the church went 4-5 days a week Prayer meeting , Bible study choir rehearsal etc.... my Church was right across the street from my house growing up. I ask questions. Hell I went to a Catholic school in elementary and I used to ask and compare lol with all that said the church sugar coats stuff and gives u a false sense of hope for a lot of life situations. Ive heard it was Gods will as a convenient answer to too many questions when bad things happen to people. its like if something good happens ? did it thank him for ur blessing but when something bad happens ur not supposed to blame/question him. Ive done a whole lot of praying these past 4 yrs and its tough when ? up ? happens to good people and in the back of my mind I feel ? could have helped

yea, i feel u, but there's definteoy a differncenow, vs when i was a kid..

people lives arefar too real for the same sugar coated answers they fed us as children....

we break things down to the bitter and ugly...some of the testomonies i heard just last wedesday, made my skin crawl
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    religion, school,governments,money,class system,etc = all forms of control use to divert us from our true destiny "consciousness"
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    they looking for a reason to believe man.

it's sub-conscious thing. They all know that reason and logic do not point to some grand "Cosmic Coincidence" of life in the universe.
    To explain how everything in life just seems to “fit” and balance each other out.

Even more so seeing how the scientific community recently came to the conclusion that life itself should not exist

Because the collusion of matter and energy can't equal "exist" but more than likely non-exist.

so where do we come from?

Can you read minds?

As for the bolded, I have no problems with that. :)