Couple of christianity questions

Options

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    You would think ? would "bless" those who followed him, as opposed to those who didn't...right?

I really thought I would have at least seen DoUwant2go2Heaven? saying, "the world raised her up, not ? ".
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Well isn't this the basis of Christianity? Doing good deeds in hopes of ? rewarding you for it? It's pretty much the same as saying, "I'm gonna give this homeless guy 5 dollars. Maybe I'll get blessed for it."

Ironically, the idea that "there is no reward in being 'good' other than what I make for myself", is pretty much the same ideology that Katharine Hepburn, an atheist, held.

The "reward I make for myself" is not a reward in respect to ? . I can't earn ? 's Favor with my notion of goodness even if in all commonality it is morally good. Christianity is about Jesus and the "reward" he has earned and has given freely to those who believe so.
  • fdouglass
    fdouglass Members Posts: 548
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    prayer doesn't work, it's essentially a way for people to calm themselves and ease their minds.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    prayer doesn't work, it's essentially a way for people to calm themselves and ease their minds.

yea cuz in a crisis situation a calm and eased mind means absolutely nothing
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? kicked Adam and Eve out the garden of eden for one sin...

What u think gon happen to y'all for ur thousands of sins???

? is a trill as ? lmao...
  • Shizlansky
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Its hard to believe in anything now of days cuz, cuz everybody that deserves blessings don't get em and the ppl who don't deserve em seems to get them and I'm not talkin just about money..
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

does it work?
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    yea cuz in a crisis situation a calm and eased mind means absolutely nothing

But what the ? does that have with ? or him fixing a situation, prayer is essentially the same ? ? as meditation. I guess simple people need something to believe in, instead of controlling their own destiny.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    no.

next question

thanks.
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    But what the ? does that have with ? or him fixing a situation, prayer is essentially the same ? ? as meditation. I guess simple people need something to believe in, instead of controlling their own destiny.

that's a pretty smug way of looking at it...
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My mind is probably way more powerful then the majority of thos in here who say prayer doesn't work. I usually get exactly what I want to the point that it's scary. Not all the time but alot of the time. Yet and still, I've read the Quran, The Bible, The Analects of Confucious, Zen, and things that I've forgotten so maybe my vibe and the things I know are more in depth. Praying is a spiritual excercise, it's a focus and a meditation. Yet some of you don't believe you even have a soul or a spirit....so I don't understand why you would think prayer works for you?

Alot of you have read 0 spiritual texts yet criticize all of them, and listen to what preachers tell you. So again, why would praying work for you?

Alot of you believe ? is Thor, some guy that looks like Triple H and does things for everybody as soon as they asks....thats pretty ridiculous.

You can't wake up and expect to have muscles and you only work out once in a blue moon, and for the rest of that time you eat garbage.

WHy do you barely believe in ? and expect prayers to be answered.

It seems like most of you don't get your way in life and just walk around pissy about it.

Loo makes posts basically confessing how he gives up when things dont go his way, instead of researching prayer he goes to the next person (Christian) and he asks them why his life isnt working or to show him evidence lol....Like Christians have the answer

LOO you do Know not even Jesus was Christian right? I bet you don't cause I'm willing to bet you havent read the bible. SMH
  • Shizlansky
    edited June 2010
    Options
    But what the ? does that have with ? or him fixing a situation, prayer is essentially the same ? ? as meditation. I guess simple people need something to
    believe in, instead of controlling their own destiny.

Basically ur saying believe in yourself, I be trying to tell that to ppl all the time, and they always say some ? like ? gon help me, and I be wantin to say u don't deserve help, but i I be don't wantin to get in the arugment about religion that much
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    edward nigma just answered my prayer of someone coming in this thread with the energy i lack to say anything thing of substance
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Basically ur saying believe in yourself, I be trying to tell that to ppl all the time, and they always say some ? like ? gon help me, and I be wantin to say u don't deserve help, but i I be don't wantin to get in the arugment about religion that much

In my humble opinion, men are ? , we are ? .
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    In my humble opinion, men are ? , we are ? .

that's pretty humble
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i'm pretty sure even the Bible indicates that prayer doesn't always work
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ive been struggling with this for a minute. certain things Ive prayed for and witnessed others pray for went unanswered.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

how do u control life or death sickness or health? how do u control someone helping or harming u when they have the power? all thats out of ur control
  • Shizlansky
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My cuzin who's a catholic tells me all the time its cool I haven't accepted jesus as my lord and savior, and always say jesus will present himself to me before I die, and its like quote from the bible I just can't remeber it..

I'm a former catholic who's lost his way, I belive nothin will happen unless I make it happen mysef, but sometimes I believe there's more out there sometimes I believe there's a higher power workin, so I always keep my mind open to religion then just turn a blindside to it..

WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE, and UNDERSTANDING
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

beleiving something is not as simple as beleiving nothing

and you only control 50% of your faith in life
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    that's pretty humble

Well according to your bible, "they" made us in their image so it's only right that i am ? .
  • Dupac
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i always viewed prayer as a funny thing..

but i'm a firm believer that it's more for the personal peace of the person praying than the actual reality of it being answered or not...

having true faith in prayer will place you in a mind set where ur not really worried anymore if that paticular request is anwsered or not...you're just at peace with getting it off your chest, that way if it is "aswsree" u'll be thankful and give praises....or if u never see an answer ur still okay with it because you have the faith to know that ? knows what you wnat in life...

and if you still strive towards that ting you prayed for it becomes easier to accept it just not being for you, if all your attempts to achieve it along with prayer just don't work out in your favor...

ther'es too much in the world we just cant explain....

a person can go crazy trying to figure out or understand why this happened to them, or why something they really wanted didn't come to them, especially when they prayed extra hard for it....

or they can just have faith, and a peace of mind to know that heir prayers and requests wer heard and that thing they prayed for just wasn't for them....

like i said,..it's afunny thing.... but i strongly feel it's unique to each person and how much they truly believe in it's ability to work for them
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    and they say i make a lot of religious threads
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    beleiving something is not as simple as beleiving nothing

and you only control 50% of your faith in life

well i base on what i believe in, in what i can see, touch,etc. Faith is no difference than being ignorant to me!