Official ATHEIST/AGNOSTIC THREAD

Options

Comments

• KplusK
    KplusK Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Why can't Jesus be ? ?

its says in so many scriptures that their not the same person from genesis to revelations people get it twisted cause they believe that a man couldnt be able to do what jesus did so it mustve have been ? when it clearly states that jesus was an angel before coming to earth and his name was micheal and it also states that no one would be able to enter my fathers kingdom without going thru me first.if jesus was ? he wouldnt have stated it like that.? wouldnt come in disguise thats how satan came to man y would he do the same thing.think bout it.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm an atheist, and believe "love" is merely a label on a chemical-driven sensation the brain experiences; the major chemical in question being "Oxytocin".

It's not some magical, supernatural thing that can't be observed and quantified.

"? " and "love" simply aren't comparable.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    I'm an atheist, and believe "love" is merely a label on a chemical-driven sensation the brain experiences; the major chemical in question being "Oxytocin".

It's not some magical, supernatural thing that can't be observed and quantified.

so you've never been willing to do things for the sake of a relationship with someone? because you know it's just all chemical driven sensations right?
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    so you've never been willing to do things for the sake of a relationship with someone? because you know it's just all chemical driven sensations right?
    I experience very few emotions, it's likely a defect, and love isn't one of them. But even if I did experience what you've stated, it would only be some form of chemical-driven sensation.
  • KplusK
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I experience very few emotions, it's likely a defect, and love isn't one of them. But even if I did experience what you've stated, it would only be some form of chemical-driven sensation.

very few emotions which means u still have some which u act on accordingly to how the chemical driven sensation makes u react correct.
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    KplusK wrote: »
    very few emotions which means u still have some which u act on accordingly to how the chemical driven sensation makes u react correct.
    Is this a question?
  • KplusK
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Is this a question?

yeah it is the few emotions u have is driven by those chemicals rite?
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    yeah it is the few emotions u have is driven by those chemicals rite?
    All human emotions are the result of some form of neurological chemical process.
  • KplusK
    edited January 2010
    Options
    All human emotions are the result of some form of neurological chemical process.

ok cool now the same chemical that make u react basically ur saying is in ur head or ur brain is why u get mad,sad,love and all of that.Now if a person tells u he loves ? or have some type of feeling toward him who is it u to say that cant be so.All of us is patterned differently if not we would react the same exact way when these chemicals hit our neurological system but we dont.Which mean we all think differently.And that because we was giving the free will to chose what we believe and how we react when these chemicals hit our neurological system.So if u dont believe thats cool thats how ur mind works but dont sit here and tell someone else how their's work.
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ok cool now the same chemical that make u react basically ur saying is in ur head or ur brain is why u get mad,sad,love and all of that.Now if a person tells u he loves ? or have some type of feeling toward him who is it u to say that cant be so.All of us is patterned differently if not we would react the same exact way when these chemicals hit our neurological system but we dont.Which mean we all think differently.And that because we was giving the free will to chose what we believe and how we react when these chemicals hit our neurological system.So if u dont believe thats cool thats how ur mind works but dont sit here and tell someone else how their's work.
    Your logic is critically flawed.

Loving something does not will it into existence. One could love a giant, radioactive blue whale that flies trough space; that doesn't mean it exists.

Therefore, just because someone loves "? " doesn't mean such a being exists. The question was comparing love to the existence of deities.
  • KplusK
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Your logic is critically flawed.

Loving something does not will it into existence. One could love a giant, radioactive blue whale that flies trough space; that doesn't mean it exists.

Therefore, just because someone loves "? " doesn't mean such a being exists. The question was comparing love to the existence of deities.

ok so love doesnt exist in a form its just some chemical ? that hits the brain that tells us its love...basically what ur saying. And people are saying ? really does exist but there's no proof of it.But i think he was saying there is no proof of love either just that u have this feeling in ur heart or mind cause its not really from ur heart u know... just what they tell u it is.If u got these chemicals that made u love someone and noone ever said to u what it was u would just say i got this feeling bout shorty.And thats how some people feel bout ? .U can just have a feeling that makes u believe and noone can tell u other wise.Just like when u in love how many times have u heard "nah lil ? u aint in love that infactuation" but to u its love.
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ok so love doesnt exist in a form its just some chemical ? that hits the brain that tells us its love...basically what ur saying. And people are saying ? really does exist but there's no proof of it.But i think he was saying there is no proof of love either just that u have this feeling in ur heart or mind cause its not really from ur heart u know... just what they tell u it is.If u got these chemicals that made u love someone and noone ever said to u what it was u would just say i got this feeling bout shorty.And thats how some people feel bout ? .U can just have a feeling that makes u believe and noone can tell u other wise.Just like when u in love how many times have u heard "nah lil ? u aint in love that infactuation" but to u its love.
    There is proof of "love"; it can actually be chemically measured, and the changes in the brain activity can be observed via MRI. There is, however, no proof of the deity referred to as "? ".
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    How many of ya'll believe love really exists but find it hard to believe ? or any other higher spiritual being could exist?

Love's not supernatural magic, you idiot. Love's an emotion. A particular state of operations in the brain and nervous system.

Why are you so damn dumb?
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Did you ? watch nothing but Disney movies when you were little?

"My love... my love is real! It's magic! It's a magical love!"

Shaddup. ? .
  • KplusK
    edited January 2010
    Options
    There is proof of "love"; it can actually be chemically measured, and the changes in the brain activity can be observed via MRI. There is, however, no proof of the deity referred to as "? ".

So u telling me that they can really tell u thru an MRI if u love a person or not...let me know cause hate to sound foolish.Or ur saying that love can be proving thru an MRI. Cause what do u say for the people that think their in love with a person but really not. Their just f'd up indivisuals who need to get their head examined.Or they just believe so hard that they are in love the chemecals going to their brains is goin to the wrong place.See i dont believe in just well he's ? up cause he thinks this way there are always intangables(how ever u spell it).U said ur self u dont have many emotions doesnt that make u kinda weird when we all have the same emotions when it comes down to science. Or u chooose not to show them. Cause u dont wanna allow urself to be like the rest of us.
  • puescobar85
    puescobar85 Members Posts: 121
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i MAY have felt love, and its power, never felt ? 's, and i would like to, but i don't think it exists, i say "think" cuz no one truly knows including me
  • KplusK
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i MAY have felt love, and its power, never felt ? 's, and i would like to, but i don't think it exists, i say "think" cuz no one truly knows including me

exactly noone knows thats y i get mad at people for gettin at other people for what they believe im not here to preach...far from it.I did alot of dirt and i know people thrive off of their beliefs thats what motivate some people and any motivation to do good is good ya dig.And lets say ? aint the truth what do u lose nuttin just be laying in the ground with the rest of them...But if it is the truth dammmm alot of people gonna be upset.
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited January 2010
    Options
    exactly noone knows thats y i get mad at people for gettin at other people for what they believe
    Really.

You're mad that people challenge unsupported and absurd beliefs that have been giving people an excuse to stop thinking for thousands of years?

The fact that we do not know whether or not ? exists does not lend ANY support at all to the idea that he does exist. Saying "WELL YOU DONT KNOW" is not an argument. It's childish and ignorant.
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So u telling me that they can really tell u thru an MRI if u love a person or not...let me know cause hate to sound foolish.Or ur saying that love can be proving thru an MRI. Cause what do u say for the people that think their in love with a person but really not. Their just f'd up indivisuals who need to get their head examined.Or they just believe so hard that they are in love the chemecals going to their brains is goin to the wrong place.See i dont believe in just well he's ? up cause he thinks this way there are always intangables(how ever u spell it).U said ur self u dont have many emotions doesnt that make u kinda weird when we all have the same emotions when it comes down to science. Or u chooose not to show them. Cause u dont wanna allow urself to be like the rest of us.
    Whether you believe me is irrelevant. Here are some sources that support my statements: 1|2|3.

I likely have few emotions for the same reason that I have synesthesia or even the reason I was considered to be a "genius" at 7. What's evident is that my brain function is abnormal.
  • blakfyahking
    edited January 2010
    Options
    @ KTULU

I'm not questioning whether ? actually exists, I'm questioning what is the difference between a ? who "feels" ? 's love and someone who "feels" love in other situations.

so it's a chemical imbalance that makes a ? put a bomb vest on right?

how is it any different than people who do dumb ? for love?
  • puescobar85
    puescobar85 Members Posts: 121
    edited January 2010
    Options
    but in my heart of hearts, i truly believe ? , and Jesus christ and religion period, was simply a thing used to control ppl way back when, when there was no science and less logic,

but who knows
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited January 2010
    Options
    so it's a chemical imbalance that makes a ? put a bomb vest on right?

No, you are misrepresenting what is being said to you. Because you don't know how to have an honest debate. Because you have not been raised in an intellectual environment.
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited January 2010
    Options
    @ KTULU

I'm not questioning whether ? actually exists, I'm questioning what is the difference between a ? who "feels" ? 's love and someone who "feels" love in other situations.

The guy who says he feels ? 's love is doing so because it is expected of him by his religious community. Ask them enough questions and you see they are simply using a pretty metaphor. "I got a car loan! ? loves me!"

Dummies.
  • KplusK
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Whether you believe me is irrelevant. Here are some sources that support my statements: 1|2|3.

I likely have few emotions for the same reason that I have synesthesia or even The hormone oxytocin plays a significant role in many animals' instinct to love and form social bonds. In fact, it has been called jokingly, "the cuddle hormone." (1) Oxytocin is a small protein composed of nine amino acids. It is produced in the hypothalamus and is released by the pituitary gland. (2) Oxytocin is also produced in the ovaries of women and the ? of men. However, the hormone's most well known function is specific to females. (3) First, it plays an integral role in the delivery of a baby. When a woman goes into labor, oxytocin levels increase. This stimulates contraction in the smooth muscle of the uterine walls, thereby facilitating delivery. Secondly, oxytocin plays a role in milk letdown in nursing mothers. Milk is initially released into small sacs, called alveoli, which are surrounded by smooth muscle cells. Oxytocin stimulates contractions of this smooth muscle, causing the milk to be released to the mouth of a nursing baby. (3) Lastly, and most importantly, oxytocin causes the formation of maternal behavior. Successful reproduction and survival for many species relies upon a mother's attachment to and caring for her offspring. There is a drastic increase in the levels of oxytocin in the body and brain of a woman who is in labor. This upsurge is the main cause of the establishment of the strong bond of love a mother initially feels for her child. the reason I was considered to be a "genius" at 7. What's evident is that my brain function is abnormal.

ok well i didnt read anything after the following statemets cause if im not mistaking their saying love or this chemical oxy-whatever is what causes females to produce milk and we have this in our ? and she in her overies so a baby is born i just couldnt allow myself to read the rest...and if im the only poster that get this out of just this forgive me for my ignorance.
  • blakfyahking
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BOSS KTULU wrote: »
    No, you are misrepresenting what is being said to you. Because you don't know how to have an honest debate. Because you have not been raised in an intellectual environment.

LMAO @ this guy here!
This discussion has been closed.