The Official Drake vs. Common Thread

Options

Comments

• ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hip hop will forever clown Drake. Drake will either try to gain street cred or go even more pop

Whats sad is that "Hip Hop" doesnt have the clout to diss him. Apparently Pop music calls all the shots in rap.
  • Pilot Talk
    Pilot Talk Members Posts: 17
    edited January 2012
    Options
    commonvsdrake.png&w=500&zc=1&q=100
    So, y’all have seen this Drake vs. Common beef everywhere. If I recall, it was even trending at one point on twitter. Now, let’s make it clear we do not have a problem with “beef” here at HFHH, it is an integral part of hip-hop. Some beef seems to serve no purpose, and this is one of those.

I’m not going to delve too deep into what caused all of this, but it went something like this: Drake was feeling himself, perhaps a little bit too much, and Common felt the need to check him. Let’s take a look at it as it currently stands. Does anyone actually “win” in this situation? Common’s main criticism of Drake, is that he is soft. The problem here is that Drake is soft, and no one thinks any differently, other than himself. Even though he raps lines about “catching bodies” and other thuggish acts, I’ve never met anyone who takes them at face value. That being said, if anyone in the world would argue that Drake isn’t soft, it’s Drake…and he took the bait. So here we are in a beef, with one rapper proclaiming something that is known universally, and another rapper with no means to refute it. Where is Drake going to draw his credibility from? Short of “catching a body like that”, I don’t think Drake can do anything to disprove his softness. Luckily for Drizzy, his target audience (read: ? ) does not care about beef, or Common.

On the other hand, we have Common. Hip-hop purists wouldn’t dare place Drake in the same league as Common. These same people, represent the majority (read: only people) concerned with beef. These people are riding with Common, regardless of what takes place or what is said, on wax or otherwise. What is the best possible outcome for either of them? Common proves to everyone, what everyone already knew? Drake drops the diss of the decade, and 14 year old girls across the globe are posting it as their Facebook status? Even if Drake “wins”, he loses. If Common wins, what does he really win? There is no best outcome, all roads lead to comedy.

A sidenote, Pusha T has potentially been implicated. Nothing has come of it as of yet, other than a few subliminals. Drake claims not to have noticed the shots sent his way, but has stated “You know, I’m up for whatever, man.” Word of advice for Aubrey, depending on how this feud with Common plays out: If you cannot handle Common, don’t even think about looking in Pusha’s direction. That brings me to my next idea…

…I wonder if Biggie ever thought there would come a day, when the biggest beef in the rap game was between a former teen actor, Canadian Jew turned rapper…and a man fresh off the set of Happy Feet 2. Pretty soon we’re going to have Kanye and Wayne battle rapping at a skatepark wearing women’s clothing, being forced to suspend our disbelief as Kanye stands there in his kilt and Wayne talks about shooting someone while wearing furry boots, just to get any enjoyment out of the situation. We cannot allow hip-hop to go down this path. That is not to say any of the artists mentioned above don’t make great music. We just think that’s what they should focus on, and leave the beef to the rappers that are built for it.

Source: http://www.howflyhiphop.com/2012/01/09/real-talk-common-vs-drake-beef-comedy/

Thought this was a funny, but truthful read. Sums up how I feel.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    has big ghostface blogged about this?
  • visionthepoet
    visionthepoet Members Posts: 52
    edited January 2012
    Options
    how can this be good for hiphop if it has no gain??????

these counterproductive ass ? ...

in another corner u got an O.G acting like an O.G

Snoop On Waka Attacking Wiz

“I’ma holla at Waka Flocka. That’s where big Uncle Snoop come in at, ’cause we ain’t about that negativity and none of that beef. We too old for that. I’ma snatch him up by the collar and say, ‘Look here, partna. You got somethin’ to say to Wiz, get at him personally.’ We peaceful. We on nothing but peace right now. This is my guy right here. I love Wiz ’cause he got the right spirit that Hip Hop needs. Too much negativity in the industry that always overwhelms his kind of spirit, and I’m here to let people know that this is the right kind of spirit.”

http://www.bet.com/news/music/2012/01/11/snoop-dogg-will-talk-to-waka-flocka-flame-about-wiz-khalifa-diss.html

again, how long have u been following hiphop? BATTLES ARE GOOD FOR HIPHOP. In every element of hiphop there is battling! Graf. DJing. BBoying. Emceeing. It's an important cog. It always has been. I realize you're a fan of Drake but damn homie. See the bigger picture.
  • Pilot Talk
    edited January 2012
    Options
    has big ghostface blogged about this?

Now that you mention it, idk. ? knows that will be a funny read.
  • visionthepoet
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i don't care about that situation, i posted that, 2 show ? how an o.g is suppose 2 act... like the wise village elder handling a situation wisely. young ? see that n respect that, because that's the energy we look for in our elders...

unlike Common who's looking like that neighbor hood gramps, who's still sagging, hanging with the young ? , trying to bang on young ? , begging ? to say his name at the end of records n ? , like come on Common u lookin real desperate right now.

O.G.s also have to CHECK the youngins when they step out of line. OGs don't cosign ? . They call it what it is.

I swear this "can't have an opinion or it's hating" era in hiphop is so ? moist.
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Very truthful....This won't get read on here tho...
    It was funny when people on here were saying that "Come Close" wasn't soft...? take it too far...
    Nobody was saying ? about Common before this ? , as soon as he appealed to the ideals of the internet hip-hop people...tah daa
    Like I said before, it's my sister's favorite rappers "beefing"...
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    O.G.s also have to CHECK the youngins when they step out of line. OGs don't cosign ? . They call it what it is.

I swear this "can't have an opinion or it's hating" era in hiphop is so ? moist.

so being a 40 year old ? attacking some one parents is checking?????????

Nas on "Take It Slow" is an example of checking some one

Jay- Hot 97 freestyle was an example of checking some one

this was str8 attacking , no hold the bar, and if Drake don't respond Common will be looking stupid...
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ^ lol at your free use of the word attacking

Drake asked for it.

fakeshoredrive fakeshoredrive
    #fakeshoredrive Common vs. Drake-Inspired "You Canada Dry" Shirts Hit The Web tinyurl.com/7bvjo8w

canada-dry-T-e1326319948677.jpeg
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'll buy one of those tee'
  • visionthepoet
    edited January 2012
    Options
    so being a 40 year old ? attacking some one parents is checking?????????

Nas on "Take It Slow" is an example of checking some one

Jay- Hot 97 freestyle was an example of checking some one

this was str8 attacking , no hold the bar, and if Drake don't respond Common will be looking stupid...

Is this serious? Is this a joke fam? You are caping way too hard for another GROWN ASS MAN! You seem more hurt than Drake is? That's just not okay. There was a time that only female went this hard for male rappers.

I think the ? is funny. Kobe's wife, who is a MOTHER of two little girls, can be called a ? by Drake while he's caping for another grown ass (? ) man.... but Common can't call DRAKE'S mom a ? . This ? is laughable.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    imma about to cop that tee
  • Pilot Talk
    edited January 2012
    Options
    CapitalC wrote: »
    Very truthful....This won't get read on here tho...
    It was funny when people on here were saying that "Come Close" wasn't soft...? take it too far...
    Nobody was saying ? about Common before this ? , as soon as he appealed to the ideals of the internet hip-hop people...tah daa
    Like I said before, it's my sister's favorite rappers "beefing"...

Well hopefully a few people take the time too, I thought it was good and wanted to share lol.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Pilot Talk wrote: »
    Well hopefully a few people take the time too, I thought it was good and wanted to share lol.

It was good but it kinda made fun of hip hop fans so they not gonna ? with it...
    In this day and age I don't think that a rap beef will do anything at all for the genre, especially a beef between Jimmy and the guy who did a rom-com with Queen Latifah...
    And I like Drake and Common, their music is perfect for the classy chicks I ? ...
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    So what's gonna happen when Drake doesn't respond?

it would just reaffirm the charge that Drake is more Pop than Hip Hop. and Canada Dry will have to be the punchline to this whole thing.

he should respond though
  • jek
    jek Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    "Luckily for Drizzy, his target audience (read: ? ) does not care about beef, or Common."

This line and this whole article is like the eulogy for Hip Hop. Bring on the White Girl Mobs, ? and ? rappers. The men have left the building.

Lmao @ the trealness of this post
  • visionthepoet
    edited January 2012
    Options
    @cthagod Charlamagne Tha ?
    Common disses Drake and Drake changes his profile pic to him and his "Goons" standing in front of a closed Chinese spot? Man ? Hip Hop.
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    never before have i heard the argument against a battle being "the masses don't care about it." how does that even matter or make sense?

or even better "nobody cares about X except people on the internet." um - people on the internet are the same people as in real life. you expect people to all meet up at the park and discuss hip-hop battles?
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Common is my dude but he kind of took an L with that Happy Feet ? . He should have stayed doing action flicks.

But I wish I was rich I would cop "You Canada Dry" tee's for everyone on The Reason who were willing to rock them.
  • reggieryu
    reggieryu Members Posts: 12
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Here's my thought on the beef.. I think drake need to be a ? man for once. Drake is coo and all that but we talking about battling and common had already killing him back to back.
    [video]http://youtu.be/9YEK9tN_RBw[/video]
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Common is my dude but he kind of took an L with that Happy Feet ? . He should have stayed doing action flicks.

But I wish I was rich I would cop "You Canada Dry" tee's for everyone on The Reason who were willing to rock them.

He did a voice over for a moive you act like he jumped in a penguin suit, and after reading through the thread bawse d lox is a bicth nothing else to it , and stop that " only ? on the internet pay attention to this ? bs" last time i checked i you have to be in the real world first b4 you log in simple ass. also " no hood ? are checking for this ? " 1. where in a recccesion there alot of poor people on the internet ? what you heard 2. what the ? makes a ? in the hood a more credible hip-hop critic? that idea is done for in 2012 gtfoh with that bs.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

is this what some you ? warrior victim ass ? are defending smh
  • visionthepoet
    edited January 2012
    Options
    He did a voice over for a moive you act like he jumped in a penguin suit, and after reading through the thread bawse d lox is a bicth nothing else to it , and stop that " only ? on the internet pay attention to this ? bs" last time i checked i you have to be in the real world first b4 you log in simple ass. also " no hood ? are checking for this ? " 1. where in a recccesion there alot of poor people on the internet ? what you heard 2. what the ? makes a ? in the hood a more credible hip-hop critic? that idea is done for in 2012 gtfoh with that bs.

I think his entire line of reasoning is unbelievably faulty. ? in the hood aint trying to hustle 10k CDs out the truck of their cars like Luda and Master P anymore. They make a VIDEO, put it on YOUTUBE, and on that YOUTUBE video, they say you can purchase the CD on the INTERNET. So ? outta here with that "the hood aint checking" for ? . It's faulty emotion masking itself as logic.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lol drake stannery knows no bounds.