Lets keep it real, NYC has had a lesser impact on the urban community than California and the south

Options

Comments

• Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ rico

you dont know anything about gangbangin bruh, dont speak on what youre not familiar with

stick to your cardboard breakdancing routines dunny
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ROLF at entire regions having to ? on one city in order to feel good about themselves

underrated post
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    i'm born n raised in BK, but all ? aside... Ny is a melting ? , damn near every group of ppl in the globe is in NY...
    alot of trends NY may think they started, actually came from else where ,and has been "remixed" a bit. and that includes Rap... rap= dance hall, but i digress.

folks from NY roots go back 2 the south , n Mid West n West to a way lesser extent.

so all that, back in the day, 100 years is ? .
    100 years ago, new york ? wasn't doing ? , but being punching bags to European foreigners, and being the 1st one's shot at during riots.

it wasn't, until ? started coming in from the SOUTH, to NYC in the 1920's. and brought their food, music and literature . That's when the Harlem Renaissance happened.
    Them krackers in the south wasn't letting ? in the south n midwest do they thing, so when they came up north, they flex they creativity.

same ? happened again, in the late 70's early 80's, but this time in Brooklyn. with the influx of west indians and that's when Rap came in; from the jamaicans . if it wasn't for us west indians, NY would be dead.

but in all fairness newyork from the late 50's all the way up to the early 90's was the ? . living in NY was an experience. them wack ass mayors n governors done ? it up.

nowadays it's just an over priced, expensive ass rest haven for ? .
    they're even passing new laws, to where you can't even smoke a cigarette in ya crib. I'm thru with NY. the only thing keeping the city popping is us west indians.

there was a time period were every body was moving too newyork , now every one is getting the ? out, i digress my greatness once more.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'm born n raised in BK, but all ? aside... Ny is a melting ? , damn near every group of ppl from the globe is from NY...
    alot of trends NY may think they started, actually came from else where ,and has been "remixed" a bit. and that includes hiphop, rap= dance hall, but i digress.

folks from NY roots go back 2 the south , n Mid West n West to a lesser extent.

100 years ago, new york ? wasn't doing ? , but being punching bags to European foreigners, and being the 1st one's shot at during riots.

it wasn't, until ? started coming in from the SOUTH, to NYC in the 1920's. and brought their food, music and literature that's when the Harlem Renaissance happened. Them krackers in the south wasn't letting ? in the south n midwest do they thing, so when they came up north they flexed.

same ? happened again in the late 70's early 80's, but this time in Brooklyn. with the influx of west indians and that's when hiphop came in; from the jamaicans . if it wasn't for us west indians, NY would be dead.

but in all fairness newyork from the late 50's all the way up to the early 90's was the ? . living in NY was an experience.

them wack ass mayors n governors done ? it up, nowadays it's just an over priced, expensive ass rest haven for ? .
    they're even passing new laws, to where you can't even smoke a cigarette in ya crib. I'm thru with NY. the only thing keeping the city popping is us west indians.

West Indians>>>
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    New York isn't the Mecca of anything.

Maybe in the 80's but after that naw b.

The 90's the West owned hip hop and in the 00-current the South has been running hip hop.

Just look at how New York ? try to emulate Southern culture

What about the time period between Pac dying and the south.NY had a great run again until 2004.NY influenced clothes a lot.Now NY is emulating, but hip hop has always shared styles and became a hybrid.Cali was influenced by NY alot.Dre's production was very east coast.

Now NY is the mecca still because you are not a major artist w/ out NY airplay.No national artist doesn't get NY airplay.NY record companies gave the game to the south.NY still cuts the checks, and I'm not from NY these are just the facts.Jay Z and Puff still got more bread than anybody.

What the south is doing now w/ 808's and bass is no different than early NY hip hop. Right now this yr NY may not be the trend, but everything goes in cycles.he new west coast is a lot like 90's NY hip hop
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    New York isn't the Mecca of anything.

Maybe in the 80's but after that naw b.

The 90's the West owned hip hop and in the 00-current the South has been running hip hop.

Just look at how New York ? try to emulate Southern culture

What about the time period between Pac dying and the south.NY had a great run again until 2004.NY influenced clothes a lot.Now NY is emulating, but hip hop has always shared styles and became a hybrid.Cali was influenced by NY alot.Dre's production was very east coast.

Now NY is the mecca still because you are not a major artist w/ out NY airplay.No national artist doesn't get NY airplay.NY record companies gave the game to the south.NY still cuts the checks, and I'm not from NY these are just the facts.Jay Z and Puff still got more bread than anybody.

What the south is doing now w/ 808's and bass is no different than early NY hip hop. Right now this yr NY may not be the trend, but everything goes in cycles.he new west coast is a lot like 90's NY hip hop

the coastal ? is dead play boy , now everybody from every race (white, black, etc) and every coast is getting shine. yet the south still got the game in a choke hold.

i see the south reigning for another decade.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'm born n raised in BK, but all ? aside... Ny is a melting ? , damn near every group of ppl in the globe is in NY...
    alot of trends NY may think they started, actually came from else where ,and has been "remixed" a bit. and that includes Rap... rap= dance hall, but i digress.

folks from NY roots go back 2 the south , n Mid West n West to a way lesser extent.

it wasn't, until ? started coming in from the SOUTH, to NYC in the 1920's. and brought their food, music and literature . That's when the Harlem Renaissance happened.
    Them krackers in the south wasn't letting ? in the south n midwest do they thing, so when they came up north, they flex they creativity.

same ? happened again, in the late 70's early 80's, but this time in Brooklyn. with the influx of west indians and that's when Rap came in; from the jamaicans . if it wasn't for us west indians, NY would be dead.

but in all fairness newyork from the late 50's all the way up to the early 90's was the ? . living in NY was an experience. them wack ass mayors n governors done ? it up.

nowadays it's just an over priced, expensive ass rest haven for ? .

there was a time period were every body was moving too newyork , now every one is getting the ? out, i digress my greatness once more.

A lot of black folk especially are moving down south in massive numbers. A lot of them are from the east coast, like you said, that got overpriced and lost its identity. Now you got ASAP Rocky dudes mimicking their sound from Houston as well as old rappers having a hard time adjusting to the information age.
  • Wild Self
    Options
    @ blackdemo

All the ppl u listed are either dead or have fallen off the radar and have no real impact on the Hip Hop culture as a whole. The South and West are running the game right now as far as cultural influence eg, fashion, southern influenced sound (boom bap been dead since the 90's) and other traits that are distinctly southern/western. I lived in South Africa till I was 18 and now I live in the UK and I can tell you that NY cats aint makin no impact anywhere apart from their hometown.

Hip Hop as the rest of the world knows it, is the West/South style hip hop. East Coast been fell off since the 90's and its mostly the old heads and the nostalgic ? that are still living in the 90's that ? with NYC cats.

Jay-Z and 50 are the only reason NY stayed on the map, otherwise NYC woulda fallen off long time ago.

You got a whole generation of youngins that were raised on blaring 808s club beats. They don't know what a boom bap record is suppose to sound like.
  • harlem hustla
    harlem hustla Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uptown money was lovely
    Harlem ? knew about the good bad nd the ugly

Gangsters_of_Harlem_cover.jpg

• Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cali is overrated. Might be the most overrated state in the world. Considering they did start alot of fads, but alot of people don't know that Hollywood came from Chicago in the 1920s. And there was Gangster Disciples and Vice Lords and Black Stones in Chicago before Bloods and Crips. Both New York and Chicago started with the mob BS to.....both cities had gangs since the 1800s.......? forbid, but the drive-by was even started in Chicago......Disney movies, Twinkies....first comedy club.....Chicago secretly has maybe the most influence.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    Hell even in training day that hood they were in was Black P stones hoods a gang from Chicago brought to LA and one of their biggest hoods...
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip-Hop began in NYC. They started the whole ? thing. Can't get more influential than that.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every so often this thread is made. Get off NY's ? .
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    Cali is just a b product of Chicago if you look at the overall history. Its really NY and Chicago that is the most influential
  • zay_24
    zay_24 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Hell even in training day that hood they were in was Black P stones hoods a gang from Chicago brought to LA and one of their biggest hoods...

p stones in LA are bloods. It aint liek some chicago ? came to LA n set up shop. T rogers was from chicago n created a blood set, n jus happened to name them p stones. Thats where it ends.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harlem renaissance
    fashion
    hip-hop

But I see what you're saying....I guess.
  • zay_24
    Options
    I told you before, a Harlem Renaissance happened in damn near every major city in the country.

Fashion? lol what, ? outside NY dont wear bubble coats with timbs and white durags underneath they oversized fitteds

And NY aint been relevant in hip hop since the 80s, once NWA came out NY never had a impact on hip hop again, sorry
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zay_24 wrote: »

And NY aint been relevant in hip hop since the 80s, once NWA came out NY never had a impact on hip hop again, sorry

? are you out of your ? mind do you realize almost all of hip-hops top ceos come from nyc.
  • zay_24
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

? are you out of your ? mind do you realize almost all of hip-hops top ceos come from nyc.

Do you realize all the relevant rappers today arent from NY
  • zombie
    Options

They ain't from the west coast either my man you have had a longer dry run than we ever had after tupac died you ? fell off the ? planet. We had puffy with his shiney suit era then we had the dmx/ ja rule/ 50 cent era all this was in the 2000's. You westside ? been off since the mid 90's. the old heads still hold nyc down,
  • zombie
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I told you before, a Harlem Renaissance happened in damn near every major city in the country.

Fashion? lol what, ? outside NY dont wear bubble coats with timbs and white durags underneath they oversized fitteds

? you talking out your ass there was no black renaissance in 1930's LA or atlanta. ? do you really want to argue that nyc was and is the major fashion capital for america. What fashion trends did the west coast start white tee's and khaki's ? outta here and early ice cude and nwa ripped off the east coast so stop bragging about them ? .
  • Wild Self
    edited April 2012
    Options

They ain't from the west coast either my man you have had a longer dry run than we ever had after tupac died you ? fell off the ? planet. We had puffy with his shiney suit era then we had the dmx/ ja rule/ 50 cent era all this was in the 2000's. You westside ? been off since the mid 90's. the old heads still hold nyc down,

haha @ oldheads being depended on in a youth based genre. You got to give new blood a chance to shine. I came up on old school East coast music, but even I know that at some point, the old heads gotta back off a little. You want Hip Hop to look like the Spurs? Like I said in an earlier post, this is a southern based culture now. The East unfortunately is having a hard time maintaining its identity in this climate.
  • zombie
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »

LOL @ oldheads being depended on in a youth based genre. You got to give new blood a chance to shine. I came up on old school East coast music, but even I know that at some point, the old heads gotta back off a little. You want Hip Hop to look like the Spurs?

It don't work like that. The youth have to ? the old, the old heads have to be removed by force Nas replaced rakim and someone has to come along and replace nas.
  • zombie
    Options

haha @ oldheads being depended on in a youth based genre. You got to give new blood a chance to shine. I came up on old school East coast music, but even I know that at some point, the old heads gotta back off a little. You want Hip Hop to look like the Spurs? Like I said in an earlier post, this is a southern based culture now. The East unfortunately is having a hard time maintaining its identity in this climate.

Just because you say this is a south based culture does not make it so because actually the best up and coming artist are coming from the mid-west.
  • Wild Self
    Options

LOL @ oldheads being depended on in a youth based genre. You got to give new blood a chance to shine. I came up on old school East coast music, but even I know that at some point, the old heads gotta back off a little. You want Hip Hop to look like the Spurs?

It don't work like that. The youth have to ? the old, the old heads have to be removed by force Nas replaced rakim and someone has to come along and replace nas.

? , many of those oldheads are gonna ? themselves. Most of the oldheads are a shadow of their former selves, material wise. ASAP Rocky is the product of 90s babies being raised by southern music.