The Official Dark Knight Rises Thread

Options

Comments

• stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Everyone knows about people initially opposing Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker in TDK but you can take it back even further to the 89 Batman film. People were protesting against Michael Keaton being cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman and he ended up being the best in that role thus far. Anyone with doubts about the casting in TDKR needs to just wait to see the damn movie before judging. Simple as that.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    Everyone knows about people initially opposing Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker in TDK but you can take it back even further to the 89 Batman film. People were protesting against Michael Keaton being cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman and he ended up being the best in that role thus far. Anyone with doubts about the casting in TDKR needs to just wait to see the damn movie before judging. Simple as that.

Yep. I wasn't gonna take it there, but its not like Christian Bale is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne himself. Keaton still has that crown also....and yet, The Dark Knight is still GOAT Batman movies...but Batman Returns >>> Batman Begins.

In fact, with all this Avengers, Blade, Spidey 2, Iron Man, First Class talk...? forgetting about Batman Returns. Its up there with the greats. The first Ninja Turtles movie too.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    I agree that Michele Phiffer has the Catwoman crown right now...looks and personality wise. But Nolan seems to be going for a more vintage approach on purpose, which is kind of a nice switch up from the character's last two big screen appearances. I dunno why, but I trust his filmaking.

2018419-catwoman_super.jpg

True, I caught that and Heath was able to at the very least match Jack when many thought it was impossible so maybe she surprises. But Michelle just killed it, brought so much personality and character to the role:

michelle-pfeiffer.jpg

Heath's Joker ? ALL OVER Jack Nicholson's Joker, and not just cuz its the most recent one. Michael Keaton's 1989 performance in Batman is still comparable to Bale's 2008 TDK performance. Jack's peformance didn't really age that well at all.
  • focus
    edited May 2012
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »

Heath's Joker ? ALL OVER Jack Nicholson's Joker, and not just cuz its the most recent one. Michael Keaton's 1989 performance in Batman is still comparable to Bale's 2008 TDK performance. Jack's peformance didn't really age that well at all.

I agree.

And yet Heath still doesn't have the best portrayal of Joker. That distinction goes to Mark Hamill and The Animated Series and The DC Animated movies. Yea, I know...apples and oranges....live action vs. animation...but i'm just saying. That is still the best incarnation of Joker....besides the comics themselves.

I wonder what a young Mark Hamill in Heath's makeup with Nolan's direction couldve done.

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »

Yep. I wasn't gonna take it there, but its not like Christian Bale is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne himself. Keaton still has that crown also....and yet, The Dark Knight is still GOAT Batman movies...but Batman Returns >>> Batman Begins.

In fact, with all this Avengers, Blade, Spidey 2, Iron Man, First Class talk...? forgetting about Batman Returns. Its up there with the greats. The first Ninja Turtles movie too.

I'ma put it like this....keaton is the better batman but bale is the better bruce wayne
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cosigned this ^
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options

Debatable. Jack's Joker was so legendary nobody touched the role for damn near 20 years. Also Keaton's Batman is still the best, most fans agree. Phiffer also again still has the Catwoman Crown. Burton 2 Batman films set the bar 1st and are Legendary. The Creator of Batman himself said Jack's Joker was the closest to his original vision. Heath's Joker was great but LOL @ ? over a performance nobody could even dare touch for 2 decades. Before TDK Heath was doing mad interviews talking about Jack and how Legendary his performance is, stop trying to downplay one of the greatest actors in the history of cinema. LOL @ "hasn't aged well", the movie is a Classic. Also, Jack's 1-liners > Heath's.

HeathLedgerJackNicholsonJoker2.jpg
  • rapmastermind
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I'ma put it like this....keaton is the better batman but bale is the better bruce wayne

Yes Bale is a really good Wayne but Keaton played the DUEL Personalities the best. Bale's batman voice is was not good, even if Nolan changed it in post-production, it wasn't good. Keaton did both very well which is why He has the crown.

I'd Rate them:

1a The Dark Knight
    1b Batman
    *Depending on the era you grew up in one is above the other

2. Batman Returns
    3. Batman Begins
    4. Forever
    5. Batman and Robin

I also agree that Mark Hamil Joker is up there with Jack and Heath even though it was animated.

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes Bale is a really good Wayne but Keaton played the DUEL Personalities the best. Bale's batman voice is was not good, even if Nolan changed it in post-production, it wasn't good. Keaton did both very well which is why He has the crown.

Right that's why I give the edge to bale on being a slightly better bruce wayne....I hate his voice as batman ? is horrible
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the thing about Bale's voice is that hes trying to replicate Kevin Conroys batman/bruce wayne from Batman TAS. Conroy made it sound so natural. With bale its really forced.
  • stoneface
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I dont give a ? what no one says, at the end of the day Jack's Joker > Heath's joker, as great as Heath was.

Disagree to the fullest. Bale was good as Bruce Wayne but not better than Keaton. The way Keaton portrayed him was perfect. Even though he seemed cool and never really openly expressed his personal issues to anyone, you could still somehow tell, just from his demeanor that he was troubled and tortured but just kept it all internal. It was subtle, he didnt even have to say ? . I just think Keaton's performance as Bruce was more skillful than Bale's.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited May 2012
    Options
    reason folks aint like Keaton as Bruce back then was supposedly because folks aint think he was handsome enough N/H
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Heath's Joker was the better of the two personally

KanyeShrug1.jpg
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    Options

Spoken like someone who just likes what's fresh. Heath's Joker and Jack's Joker are completely different. Jack's set the bar and Heath took the character in a different direction but maxed it out. I for one like Jack's Joker better to me he came off more like a clown and not like a sociapath. But Heath definitely shut me up as soon as I saw the TDK trailer. As for Batman, I reserve judgement but Bale has not convinced me he is taking the character to the next level.
  • stoneface
    Options
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am REALLY not buying this Blake character by JGL....I think by the end of the film he takes over as Gotham's hero...the only thing that even makes me hesitate on that is the fact that it's Nolan and that seems to "obvious" for a Nolan film but seriously....JGL REALLY looks like Robin/? Grayson to me and that symbol the kid drew with the chalk looked more like Nightwing than Batman's (I know he was drawing Batman's symbol but it looked like a nod to the Nightwing character)
  • focus
    Options
    young chad wrote: »
    I am REALLY not buying this Blake character by JGL....I think by the end of the film he takes over as Gotham's hero...the only thing that even makes me hesitate on that is the fact that it's Nolan and that seems to "obvious" for a Nolan film but seriously....JGL REALLY looks like Robin/? Grayson to me and that symbol the kid drew with the chalk looked more like Nightwing than Batman's (I know he was drawing Batman's symbol but it looked like a nod to the Nightwing character)

New Dark Knight Character Revealed?
    Toy images reveal possible spoilers.
    by Scott Collura MAY 23, 2012

You don't want to be spoiled on The Dark Knight Rises? Then why are you here right now?

It's time for some serious fanboy nerdiness, as we speculate on what could be a new character or story reveal from The Dark Knight Rises. A couple of them, actually. Or they could be a whole bunch of nothing, as this is all based on a photo of some toys from the film.

io9 has happened upon the image, from Mattel's Quick Tek line of action figures, which shows a mysterious figure in a costume we've not seen before in the promotional materials for TDKR. Look:

dark_knight_rises_toy_2.jpg

The site speculates, and we concur, that this is probably one of three characters: Bruce Wayne in League of Shadows garb, the young Ra's Al Ghul (who is expected to appear in a flashback), or Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character after his presumed transformation from cop to… something else.

Which leads to even crazier speculation, which is almost surely wrong but must be said anyway. Look at the second bat suit in this image:

dark_knight_rises_toys.jpg

Batman Beyond, anyone? Could it be that Joseph Gordon-Levitt's John Blake takes on the mantle of the Bat eventually, replacing Bruce Wayne? And when he does, he adopts a new costume not unlike Terry McGinnis' future Batman from the cartoon? It's a reach, sure, especially considering director Christopher Nolan's tendency to avoid fanboyisms. This is probably just a toy variation on the bat costume that doesn’t even appear in the movie. Probably…
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that Blake will be the next Batman...or Robin...Given that Batman had to go through a7-8 years of trainin' before becomin' the Bat...I doubt Blake will be any more than a cop who happens to kno' Catwoman (who, if I've read correctly, is an accomplice of Bane's)
  • focus
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that Blake will be the next Batman...or Robin...Given that Batman had to go through a7-8 years of trainin' before becomin' the Bat...I doubt Blake will be any more than a cop who happens to kno' Catwoman (who, if I've read correctly, is an accomplice of Bane's)

The Dark Knight Rises takes place 8 years after The Dark Knight...just saying.
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    More New Posters:

hVh70.jpg

X0C2l.jpg

ryqEi.jpg

wM6G7.jpg

Damn those look hard body. Way better than this ? they just released:

220px-Dark_knight_rises_poster.jpg

This looks like a terrible photoshop.
  • BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More New Posters:

hVh70.jpg

X0C2l.jpg

WHOA!!!
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words but I can't even front. Those new posters got me pretty hyped. Looks like an all out war. I have tried my best to keep my expectations guarded cause I don't want to be disappointed but those poster are some of the best for a comic book movie I've ever seen. I hope Nolan can be the 1st director to make a GOOD PART III comic book movie.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    The Dark Knight Rises Over Empire
    New covers! New pics! Feature preview!

24 May 2012 | Written by Helen O'Hara | Source: Exclusive

Rejoice, Bat fans! The new issue of Empire, on sale May 31, is jam-packed with exclusive material on The Dark Knight Rises. Behind our two gorgeous, world-exclusive covers lies a 23-page celebration of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy in all its glory, including everything you could possibly want to know about this summer's final instalment.

61022.jpg 61021.jpg

CHOOSE YOUR SIDE - FREE MASSIVE POSTER!

As if that weren't enough, we are also including a giant double-sided poster this month, showing Christian Bale's Batman and Anne Hathaway's Catwoman (to match the covers, you see). We're spoiling you, really. Get a sneak peek below.

empire-magazine-dark-knight-rises-posters.jpg

Poster size compared to the issue of Empire magazine. We told you they're big!

But that's not the only treat in store right now! Below, you can read the prologue to Dan Jolin's exhaustive and comprehensive feature on the making of The Dark Knight Rises.

For the full thing, you're going to have to pick up the magazine (or subscribe to Empire), but this will give you just a hint of what you're in for...

batman-mask-feature-opener.jpg

THE CROWD ROARS. August 6, 2011, and Empire is peering out of the press box nestled high in Pittsburgh's Heinz Field football stadium. We take in a vast arena wrought from 12,000 tons of steel, home (appropriately) to the Pittsburgh Steelers, many of whom are today out on the pitch in old-school-Batman black and yellow to portray fictional team The Gotham Rogues. Across from us, on the home side, around 11,000 extras wave self-crafted Rogues placards and yell deliriously, as instructed by megaphone-waving assistant director Nilo Otero.

It's an oppressively humid day, pushing 100 Fahrenheit; yet in Gotham it's midwinter. Which means the assembled throng, most of them Pittsburgh locals here voluntarily, are sweltering in thick jackets and scarves. The potential ordeal is leavened by an ongoing prize raffle, and during the lunchbreak three desert-camouflaged Tumblers — those bespoke Lamborghini-Hummer-hybrid attack vehicles introduced and sprayed none-more-black in Batman Begins — trundle out. One performs a few speedy circuits. Atop another sits Steelers star player Hines Ward, waving and smiling. The third is cannon-mounted. It fires off a blast. The crowd roars.

And soon after, it screams. People scramble out of their seats and struggle for the exits. From Empire's (thankfully air-conditioned) ? 's-eye perspective, it looks like someone's just dropped a neatly packed box of marbles. Panic is orchestrated. Something terrible is happening. The 'terror' comes later. First we see stuntmen-footballers sprinting across the field and falling into crashmat-lined craters, which pock a jagged-edged, raised-platform section laid over roughly a quarter of the pitch.

Next come the detonations. BAM BAM BAM BAM. More than 50 dirt-piles explode in seven blasts, leaving the air writhing with dark smoke. Heavily armed mercenaries storm the area. And then, striding in his fur-lined greatcoat, face swathed in a metal, snarling-baboon-maw mask and trailed by some strange, trolley-mounted, spherical doomsday device, arrives Tom Hardy's Bane, powerhouse antagonist of The Dark Knight Rises. "This is the moment where Bane makes his plans known," explains producer Emma Thomas, also Christopher Nolan's wife. Big plans...

Empire has never before seen filmmaking on this scale. This is indisputably jaw-dropping. Huge. And it's no boast to say that to witness such a spectacle is a precious rarity in the early 21st century. This stadium set-piece is more reminiscent of the genuine cast-of-thousands era of Ben-Hur — and we're thinking as much of the 1925 version as William Wyler's Chuck Heston-fronted '59 one. These days we're more used to scale segments built on studio lots or in cavernous, green-walled soundstages with digitally cloned CG extras in the stalls. It's funny how for years we were all so impressed by Hollywood's new digital, reality-replicating flourishes when, all along, they were nowhere near as extraordinary as, well, reality. Nobody makes movies like this anymore. Or rather, nobody else...

BRAND NEW IMAGES

And we're still not done! Here, for your viewing pleasure, are four new and exclusive images from the film - and there are more in the magazine, you lucky lot.
    61027.jpg 61026.jpg
    61025.jpg 61024.jpg

And once again, the magazine is out on Thursday May 31 in shops and on iPad. To make sure you don't miss a copy of Empire subscribe today.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34076
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options