The Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    Bailing on what team? What team do free agents play for?

Word ? that... he paid his dues in Cleveland for 7 years... he extended AFTER his rookie contract was up... He dragged that team on his back and NEVER got any serious help from a high caliber player... he did the right thing he didn't bail on anyone... Dan Gilbert bailed on him

Nothing was wrong with Lebron leaving Cleveland, but I have never understood why people make it seem like Cleveland did nothing to help Lebron. They surrounded dude with a cast tailor made to support him. No he didn't have a high caliber player next to him, but have you taken a look at the NBA these days? Half the teams in the league don't have one high caliber player, let alone a Superstar like Lebron. Ya'll are acting like he had to leave because he would never win a championship with Cleveland. That's BS, he would have been a contender in the East year in and year out. Had Lebron stayed in Cleveland, there is a good chance he still would have wound up in the Finals this year. The only real competition they would have even faced in the East would have been Boston and Chicago, and Chicago is basically Cleveland five years ago with a less talented centerpiece.

Lebron lovers can say what they want, but jumping ship on your team and hatching a strategy to join forces with another top 5 player and top 10 - top 15 player to circumvent competition and guarantee wins is a ? move. And don't act like that's not what they did. They knew it. That's why they were throwing celebrations before the season even started. That's why they were guaranteeing multiple championships despite having never played together. That's why they play like they don't give a ? during the regular season. It's all because they believed they hacked the system and found a way to be dominant from years to come. Maybe they did, and if that fulfills their desires, then good for them. But I don't understand why it's so hard for you Lebron fanboys to understand that some people simply don't like that ? . MJ is my favorite player ever, but if he got his championships by plotting with Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley to all link up in NY to win, I would have never been a fan of his. Same thing with Lebron. Call me hater if you want, but how impressed am I supposed to be by the fact that he stacked the deck to win in an already weak league.

contradicting urself maybe????

anyway, theres no top 5 player who did it dolo, not MJ, Magic, Bird. so no reason why Bron shuld feel anyway bout joining forces with Wade and Bosh....bottom line is we was the most important player on the BEST team

yall ? are so infatuated seeing ? play 1vs 5 and the game just isnt played that way....the BEST team wins PERIOD...

if u wanna be mad at something, be mad at free agency, be mad that this team wasnt brought together through draft picks like the Thunder...but these ? played within the rules and won...

Magic had Kareem, but Magic didn't have secret meetings with Kareem to get him on the same team. He was drafted to that team

well to be fair, he made the decision to team up with kareem

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life." Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I thought the spurs vs thunder was the "real NBA finals" and the winner of that series would win the championship
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

Word ? that... he paid his dues in Cleveland for 7 years... he extended AFTER his rookie contract was up... He dragged that team on his back and NEVER got any serious help from a high caliber player... he did the right thing he didn't bail on anyone... Dan Gilbert bailed on him

Nothing was wrong with Lebron leaving Cleveland, but I have never understood why people make it seem like Cleveland did nothing to help Lebron. They surrounded dude with a cast tailor made to support him. No he didn't have a high caliber player next to him, but have you taken a look at the NBA these days? Half the teams in the league don't have one high caliber player, let alone a Superstar like Lebron. Ya'll are acting like he had to leave because he would never win a championship with Cleveland. That's BS, he would have been a contender in the East year in and year out. Had Lebron stayed in Cleveland, there is a good chance he still would have wound up in the Finals this year. The only real competition they would have even faced in the East would have been Boston and Chicago, and Chicago is basically Cleveland five years ago with a less talented centerpiece.

Lebron lovers can say what they want, but jumping ship on your team and hatching a strategy to join forces with another top 5 player and top 10 - top 15 player to circumvent competition and guarantee wins is a ? move. And don't act like that's not what they did. They knew it. That's why they were throwing celebrations before the season even started. That's why they were guaranteeing multiple championships despite having never played together. That's why they play like they don't give a ? during the regular season. It's all because they believed they hacked the system and found a way to be dominant from years to come. Maybe they did, and if that fulfills their desires, then good for them. But I don't understand why it's so hard for you Lebron fanboys to understand that some people simply don't like that ? . MJ is my favorite player ever, but if he got his championships by plotting with Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley to all link up in NY to win, I would have never been a fan of his. Same thing with Lebron. Call me hater if you want, but how impressed am I supposed to be by the fact that he stacked the deck to win in an already weak league.

anyway, theres no top 5 player who did it dolo, not MJ, Magic, Bird. so no reason why Bron shuld feel anyway bout joining forces with Wade and Bosh....bottom line is we was the most important player on the BEST team

yall ? are so infatuated seeing ? play 1vs 5 and the game just isnt played that way....the BEST team wins PERIOD...

if u wanna be mad at something, be mad at free agency, be mad that this team wasnt brought together through draft picks like the Thunder...but these ? played within the rules and won...

Magic had Kareem, but Magic didn't have secret meetings with Kareem to get him on the same team. He was drafted to that team

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life." Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."

Damn didn't know that. Well I stand corrected about that, but it still doesn't really count. I mean Magic couldn't have been a Top 5 player in the league if he hadn't even made it to the league yet.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    I thought the spurs vs thunder was the "real NBA finals" and the winner of that series would win the championship

Word...this was said plenty of times during the WCF.
  • Matt-
    Options

Damn didn't know that. Well I stand corrected about that, but it still doesn't really count. I mean Magic couldn't have been a Top 5 player in the league if he hadn't even made it to the league yet.

But his motivation was still the same. to put himself in a position to play with one of the best in the game. to give himself a shot at titles. he didn't have total control since it was through draft and not free agency, but like lebron and so many other players, he wanted to be on the best possible team that he could
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »

Word...this was said plenty of times during the WCF.
    Word to mumo
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

But his motivation was still the same. to put himself in a position to play with one of the best in the game. to give himself a shot at titles. he didn't have total control since it was through draft and not free agency, but like lebron and so many other players, he wanted to be on the best possible team that he could

That's true, but I still think a young dude coming into the league and wanting to play with one of his heroes is different than an established player jumping on board with one of his peers.
  • BlackThor356
    BlackThor356 Members Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where's the contradiction? There was nothing wrong with him leaving Cleveland, and no point in my post did I say I had a problem with that. My problem was with him leaving the team specifically to join forces with two other Superstars to win. You're supposed to beat the competition not join them. And I'm so tired of the "1 person can't do it alone" nonsense. No one is saying that Lebron had to go at it solo, but this idea that people do what he, Wade, and Bosh did all the time is ? . MJ had Pippen. But Pippen wasn't already an All-star on another team that Jordan conspired with. He developed into an All-star by playing beside MJ. Magic had Kareem, but Magic didn't have secret meetings with Kareem to get him on the same team. He was drafted to that team, and won despite Kareem being on the downside of his career and being injured anyway. Hell, why go that far back. We can look at Wade. He was on a team full of washed up players who were one or two years from retirement. Even Shaq was a shell of himself. Wade didn't have another Top 5, Top 10, or even Top 15 player beside him, but he still won. So why are ya'll cats acting like it takes two All NBA players on a team to win?

The comparisons you dudes make are ridiculous. What those three did is not comparable to Olajuwon, Drexler, or Barkley. It isn't comparable to Garnet, Pierce, and Allen getting together. It's not even comparable to Gasol going to the Lakers. As I've stated, them dudes getting together would have been like Jordan, Barkley, and Ewing getting together in the 90s or Kobe, Duncan, and Nash teaming up in the at some point in the 00s. That ? would be unthinkable to real competitors. People like to put Lebron on the level with Jordan and Kobe, but those dudes would never team up with stars whose names are mentioned alongside theirs as that generations greats because they know that beating those guys is what would cement their own legacies.

again it sounds like u have issue with free agency. you believe teams should be built through the draft. and i agree with u actually. but the bottom line is todays game allows for free agency. you can say how pippen was drafted but he was a superstar point blank period. same with magic.

lol @ clowning ? for leaving millions on the table to come together to be great.
  • Matt-
    Options
    It is different in that sense
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Where's the contradiction? There was nothing wrong with him leaving Cleveland, and no point in my post did I say I had a problem with that. My problem was with him leaving the team specifically to join forces with two other Superstars to win. You're supposed to beat the competition not join them. And I'm so tired of the "1 person can't do it alone" nonsense. No one is saying that Lebron had to go at it solo, but this idea that people do what he, Wade, and Bosh did all the time is ? . MJ had Pippen. But Pippen wasn't already an All-star on another team that Jordan conspired with. He developed into an All-star by playing beside MJ. Magic had Kareem, but Magic didn't have secret meetings with Kareem to get him on the same team. He was drafted to that team, and won despite Kareem being on the downside of his career and being injured anyway. Hell, why go that far back. We can look at Wade. He was on a team full of washed up players who were one or two years from retirement. Even Shaq was a shell of himself. Wade didn't have another Top 5, Top 10, or even Top 15 player beside him, but he still won. So why are ya'll cats acting like it takes two All NBA players on a team to win?

The comparisons you dudes make are ridiculous. What those three did is not comparable to Olajuwon, Drexler, or Barkley. It isn't comparable to Garnet, Pierce, and Allen getting together. It's not even comparable to Gasol going to the Lakers. As I've stated, them dudes getting together would have been like Jordan, Barkley, and Ewing getting together in the 90s or Kobe, Duncan, and Nash teaming up in the at some point in the 00s. That ? would be unthinkable to real competitors. People like to put Lebron on the level with Jordan and Kobe, but those dudes would never team up with stars whose names are mentioned alongside theirs as that generations greats because they know that beating those guys is what would cement their own legacies.

again it sounds like u have issue with free agency. you believe teams should be built through the draft. and i agree with u actually. but the bottom line is todays game allows for free agency. you can say how pippen was drafted but he was a superstar point blank period. same with magic.

lol @ clowning ? for leaving millions on the table to come together to be great.

I see what you're saying. But I'm not really arguing against free agency. It's just the mindset of Lebron as a player. Like I said, most dudes that are in contention have a mindset that they want to be the best and crush anyone else who comes close. That's what I like seeing in premier players. I've never really liked Kobe, but I do respect the competitor that he is. Lebron just isn't like that, and I think this move shows that.

I'm not clowning him really. It's what he wanted to do to accomplish his goals and it's fine. I just hate when people act like you have to respect that move. Some of us appreciate the competitive spirit of sports, and don't like when people try to win by avoiding competition. I don't really have a problem with Lebron, just don't really respect the choice he made.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options

I see what you're saying. But I'm not really arguing against free agency. It's just the mindset of Lebron as a player. Like I said, most dudes that are in contention have a mindset that they want to be the best and crush anyone else who comes close. That's what I like seeing in premier players. I've never really liked Kobe, but I do respect the competitor that he is. Lebron just isn't like that, and I think this move shows that.

I'm not clowning him really. It's what he wanted to do to accomplish his goals and it's fine. I just hate when people act like you have to respect that move. Some of us appreciate the competitive spirit of sports, and don't like when people try to win by avoiding competition. I don't really have a problem with Lebron, just don't really respect the choice he made.

kobe wanted to be traded until the lakers got him help

the lakers basically got gasol for nothing
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Melo the only dude in the top 5 picks of the 2003 class that doesn't have a ring.
  • Matt-
    Options
    its not much different that a player on an existing team begging for more talent or trying to influence draft picks and other off-season moves.

Its not HOW a certain team came together. There will never be 100% comparable situations.

You have to break the argument all the way down to the core and look at WHY a player chose to play where he played or WHY a certain play wants better talent. More times that not, the answer is to be on the best possible team and be in a position to win.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I felt kinda bad seein durant cry like that

2012 Finals>>>>>2010

And Lol @ us marine actin like he a genuine heat fan I was on here when u was a frontrunnin bandwagon cavs fan years ago

I've said from the beginning i don't follow teams in basketball, i follow players. I'm a Lebron fan, been one even through last years finals.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Well you could say we are responsible for the success of the grizz via that trade.. and kobe just wanted to bounce clippers chicago.. it wasnt to join another top 5 and 20 player he was just frustrated with the lack of urgency of the Front office
  • Matt-
    Options

he also demanded a trade to join up with the most dominant player of this generation
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I felt kinda bad seein durant cry like that

2012 Finals>>>>>2010

And Lol @ us marine actin like he a genuine heat fan I was on here when u was a frontrunnin bandwagon cavs fan years ago

I've said from the beginning i don't follow teams in basketball, i follow players. I'm a Lebron fan, been one even through last years finals.

Translation: " I'm a hoe ass ? "
  • MR.CJ
    Options

he also demanded a trade to join up with the most dominant player of this generation

i thought kobe got traded first before shaq signed with the lakers
  • Matt-
    Options

i thought kobe got traded first before shaq signed with the lakers

they had secret meetings. they knew what was going on
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

[img]http://boxofpuzzlepieces.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/witch_stirring_? _hg_clr.gif?w=640[/img]
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Melo the only dude in the top 5 picks of the 2003 class that doesn't have a ring.

Oh yeah...Darko got a ring lol
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    knicks won their early bird right decision, means they can go over the cap to sign Lin and Novak while still keeping the Full Mid-Level to offer someone else......dont mean a thing unless they can trade that ? Amare
  • MR.CJ
    Options
    now lebron needs to win the slam dunk contest
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    lebron_cluster.jpg

lebron_old_and_new_radar.jpg

why i thought this was about his hairline at first lol
  • woah316
    woah316 Members Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    now lebron needs to win the slam dunk contest

He might actually do it now since all the pressure off him and he dont got nothin to lose....

still don't really respect that though.. you gotta win a title before you say "? it ill put my pride on the line in the dunk contest"?

besides that, he can't jump like he used to
This discussion has been closed.