I feel sorry for all you "you don't need college" ? in the next decade or so.

Options

Comments

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Busi
    Amotekun wrote: »
    I feel sorry for ? that think having a degree>>>>>>>>>>>entrepreneur.

Workin for yourself is better than workin for anyone else.

Workin for someone outside of a union in a employ at will state is ? risky.

Goin to a trade school and being certified in Electrician, HVAC, Plumbing, Carpentry

guarantees you will either be employed or can go into business for yourself.

Buildings are going to stay being constructed people are going to always need repairs
    in their homes.

Unless you are going to university for the sciences you are foolin and bitin hard on the hustle.

t/s whole thread premise is just fool of smart dumb ? logic.

Im currently in college & my major is Business Entrepreneurship. But the thing is when or if I graduate, what the hell do I wanna do with my degree. I feel like I have the C.E.O mindframe, creative minded & think outside the box more than my generation of peeps. Ive sitting back thinking, do I need a degree to be a entrepreneur (I dont think I dont). College at times get too high to pay, is im wasting my money on school? or should I keep going at it? In due time, it should all unfold
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    For all you entrepreneurs, do you not want an educated population to hire from?

Yes, educated workers help. They also can be detrimental because schooling shows you boundaries and ? formulas for success in that don't work on innovative ideas

• Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    College isnt for everyone and if it is for you, it gives you no right to be condescending towards those that choose to skip higher education..

It's not like ? are recieving secret knowledge bcuz everything learned in college can be learned for free with a library card and internet access..most college grads are educated fools and really offer nothing of substance to society as a whole..Most of the worlds atrocities are carried out by college grads..

I'm college educated but I also know that I earn a nice living doing a job that only requires common sense and could have saved myself 4 years if I had known how easy it is to be successful without being indoctrinated into the college industrial complex..

hell a lil dedication and sacrifice anybody can be a success at whatever they choose to do..
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    INB4 rare exceptions and ? like:
    "Out of five ? I know, one didn't do to college and he makes the most money."
    "X person dropped out of college, and he's rich."
    "My ? went to college, and he's unemployed."
    Cosign. SMH @ ? still clinging to exceptions.

My predecessor posted this back in the day, it's still somewhat relevant here:

What Kind of Degree Do You Need to Be a CEO?
    What may be surprising to some people is that a recent study showed 21% of CEOs received their degree in engineering.

Close Link Between Engineering and Business Management
    Since 1988, M.I.T. has offered a specialized crossover program between its engineering and management schools called the “Leaders of Global Operations,” or L.G.O. Graduates of the two-year program earn both a master’s degree in engineering and an M.B.A. [...]
    Reflecting that, 70 percent of the school’s M.B.A. students this year have engineering backgrounds, up from 55 percent last year...

Engineers and Business School - A Match Made in Heaven
    Quick, take a guess: What fraction of MBA students are engineers?
    About a third, according to admissions officers at some of the top programs. It's not hard to imagine why masters programs in business administration want so many math-drenched applicants, but what's in it for the engineers?
    "They may have a product idea and recognize they don't have the business skills to make it work," says Linda Abraham, who started the admissions consulting service Accepted.com, in Los Angeles, where 40 percent of MBA admission seekers are engineers....

S&P 500 CEO’s: Engineers Stay at the Top
    2008 Data from Spencer Stuart on S&P 500 CEO shows once again more have undergraduate degrees in engineering than any other field, increasing to 22% of CEO’s this year.

YL7J1.png

ENGINEER TO CEO: THE DEVELOPMENT OF BALANCE
    After studying the formation of more than 150 companies, and talking with the heads of ten different venture capital organizations, I've concluded that 90 percent of technology based firms are started by engineers.

Perhaps this figure isn't startling, but if we focus on the disciplines involved for engineers and entrepreneurs, we can see why so many individuals and organizations fail.

First of all, engineers are skilled in the planning, design and construction of a product. They solve challenging problems, make technological breakthroughs and develop successful products. They are stimulated by producing the next generation of a product and making it successful

So, typically, the more successful entrepreneurs have degrees. They also happen to be engineers as well.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? your research and statistics ? ...
    we build off of dreams and ambition over here... ol brainwashed into believing empirical evidence ass ? ...
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    <--- was told dummies dont go to college so didnt..
    <--- is now makin STUPID money..
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't like how colleges are artificially inflating their tuition and making their degrees worth less and less.
  • BlackThor356
    BlackThor356 Members Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it seems as if some of yall want some reassurance that these hefty loans yall taking is gonna pay off...

but with that said i STRONGLY believe u should be EDUCATED no matter what u do, but unless you have a strong desire to be in Medicine, Law, or Engineering (and maybe IT) a degree isnt half as neccessary as t/s is making it seem. not against it at all, just not half as serious

and besides t/s is making it seem ? should aim to be worker bees in life. i cant speak for none of yall ? but, im trying to ball and i cant do that working whatever menial jobs yall B.S. ? be getting post graduation. and sad thing is im one of those B.S. ? working a menial job!!! ive wasted sooooooo much bread on this super wack degree. now im trying to get these certs and an associates in this IT ? , cuz i know too many ? eatin in that ? (not to mention the ? in that IT thread)

point is...unless u getting a degree in the industries i mentioned...u might as well hustle.....invest....come up with an idea....or something
  • Bloo Q
    Bloo Q Members Posts: 377
    Options
    lemme throw this ? out here for y'all ? :

30 years ago, they were tellin me that I absolutely needed to get a degree to make it when I got out of HS.
    20 years ago, they were tellin me the same ? and added that soon you wouldn't even be able to get a McDonalds job without even a HS diploma.
    10 years ago, the family was asking me if I was ever gonna go back to college to finish my degree 'cause... you know, I was gonna need one at some point (career longevity be damned).

last summer, my moms demanded I take a class a semester so I could finish up that degree before she did (she's damned near 70 and just got her PHD).

meanwhile... not one person other than my brother has had a career last as long as mine, nor have they ever made a fraction of what I have during my career.

college degrees are a necessity for certain professions, but not all of them.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? school........my ass dam sho gotta be there later though smh
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I couldn't focus with all the scattered ? in college. I got my associates and bounced and makin close to 70k a year....
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? really arguing about this ? ?

If your goal includes a college degree, then go for it... otherwise don't.

? all the other ? .
  • Gold_Certificate
    Options

What may be surprising to some people is that a recent study showed 21% of CEOs received their degree in engineering.

Since 1988, M.I.T. has offered a specialized crossover program between its engineering and management schools called the “Leaders of Global Operations,” or L.G.O. Graduates of the two-year program earn both a master’s degree in engineering and an M.B.A. [...]
    Reflecting that, 70 percent of the school’s M.B.A. students this year have engineering backgrounds, up from 55 percent last year...

About a third, according to admissions officers at some of the top programs. It's not hard to imagine why masters programs in business administration want so many math-drenched applicants, but what's in it for the engineers?
    "They may have a product idea and recognize they don't have the business skills to make it work," says Linda Abraham, who started the admissions consulting service Accepted.com, in Los Angeles, where 40 percent of MBA admission seekers are engineers....

2008 Data from Spencer Stuart on S&P 500 CEO shows once again more have undergraduate degrees in engineering than any other field, increasing to 22% of CEO’s this year.

YL7J1.png

After studying the formation of more than 150 companies, and talking with the heads of ten different venture capital organizations, I've concluded that 90 percent of technology based firms are started by engineers.

Perhaps this figure isn't startling, but if we focus on the disciplines involved for engineers and entrepreneurs, we can see why so many individuals and organizations fail.

First of all, engineers are skilled in the planning, design and construction of a product. They solve challenging problems, make technological breakthroughs and develop successful products. They are stimulated by producing the next generation of a product and making it successful

So, typically, the more successful entrepreneurs have degrees. They also happen to be engineers as well.
    Gotdayum. So going to college can even benefit you if you plan to be an entrepreneur?

I guess that puts that whole "College is for those who want to work for someone else" ? to rest.

RIP.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

YL7J1.png

Gotdayum. So going to college can even benefit you if you plan to be an entrepreneur?

I guess that puts that whole "College is for those who want to work for someone else" ? to rest.

RIP.

Saying college is mandatory is for people who want to work for worker bees. Relax...college benefits those who have a plan

• jman252
    jman252 Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Options
    Going to college is all well and good but at the end of the day like Laurence Fishburne told Ice Cube and Omar Epps characters in Higher Learning that the world doesn't want empty rhetoric, it wants to know if you have a plan and even a ? can become a powerful player in the game and can make a checkmate. Prepare for your journey, Launch out in action, Adjust as you go and Network with those who know. PLAN. Self knowledge is key in this day and age.
  • Gold_Certificate
    edited September 2012
    Options

YL7J1.png

RIP.

Saying college is mandatory is for people who want to work for worker bees. Relax...college benefits those who have a plan
    ? 's typically beneficial for both "worker bees" and entrepreneurs though.

EdPaysChart1.jpg

So whether one tries to use entrepreneurs as an exception or label employees as "worker bees", the underlying fact that college is beneficial still stands.

I'm not saying it's "mandatory"; high school isn't even "mandatory".
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    shall we also explore the social benefits of college? potentially new city/state... new ppl/? ... great life experiences overall... nah?
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    I don't like how colleges are artificially inflating their tuition and making their degrees worth less and less.

^^^^real ?

make states and corporations pay for college since they ultimately benefit the most from college educated workers
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it that hard to understand that not everything is everybody

And just because you choose BBQ sauce instead of hot sauce doesnt make you that much smarter
  • haute
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »

^^^^real ?

make states and corporations pay for college since they ultimately benefit the most from college educated workers

Slowly higher education will have to do something along those lines, they're pretty much pricing themselves outside the reach of middle class families and they can't sustain themselves that way
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    Is it that hard to understand that not everything is everybody

And just because you choose BBQ sauce instead of hot sauce doesnt make you that much smarter

Haute, that's a false equivalency.

You'd be better off saying that just because I choose chicken breast every day over a big mac doesn't make me that much smarter.

Sure, you might not have a heart attack if you eat a big mac everyday, and I still might have one even with eating chicken breast everyday, but I'll choose my odds over yours 10 times outta 10.

Also, my argument wasn't that college is for everyone. It wasn't that people who go to college are smarter. My argument, which I've backed up, is that many unskilled and unprofessional jobs are falling to the wayside. So your ODDS/CHANCES are better with a degree in the FUTURE than without one. That's all. It's not saying you're a worker bee, there's no value judgment at all there. It's simply the odds.

The logic used in this thread is saying that instead of investing in stocks you should just dump your money into buying lottery tickets everyday. I mean ? , why not be a risk taker?
  • haute
    Options
    But having success/future is subjective

There are Americans who, because of their experieneces, define it by a job (and theyre not picky about that job either) and not being in jail, as making it and they're happy AND content with it. And if that's what makes them happy everyday, who am I knock them, especially when I probably can't connect with where they come from.

yes ideally they should want more, but you have to meet people where they're at

Should more people consider going to school, probably, but with how education has changed in just the last 5 years, It's a tough sell for the working poor. Truth be told trade schools and two years degrees will start to be more helpful than bachelors if changes in higher education are not made.

• FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    But having success/future is subjective

There are Americans who, because of their experieneces, define it by a job (and theyre not picky about that job either) and not being in jail, as making it and they're happy AND content with it. And if that's what makes them happy everyday, who am I knock them, especially when I probably can't connect with where they come from.

yes ideally they should want more, but you have to meet people where they're at

Should more people consider going to school, probably, but with how education has changed in just the last 5 years, It's a tough sell for the working poor. Truth be told trade schools and two years degrees will start to be more helpful than bachelors if changes in higher education are not made.

This isn't about success. It's about living. I'm not talking about a working poor family where daddy works at the sanitation plant and comes home smelling to high heaven but it still happy.

How will they survive without a job? You can't feed kids with love, b.

Get rid of all the value judgments and see what I'm saying solely for what I'm saying.

Jobs for people without degrees will be scarce. So you can talk this ish about being an entrepreneur, but american entrepreneurship is only made possible by us having the largest consumer class in the history of the world. If people aren't in positions to have jobs to have expendable income, there are no entrepreneurs.

I'm only asking everyone to look past themselves and look at the generational impact. What do we do when the engines that created the middle class(farming, industrial jobs, low education service jobs), what do we do when those are gone?
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You are merely changing your previous argument so that you may win a debate against @haute.
  • BlackThor356
    BlackThor356 Members Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yall please dont let this thread starter gas u up....a degree in comunications/criminal justice/any performing arts/english/literature of any kind/history of any kind (and this is what most of mufuckas in school for) aint gon do much for u. sure u'll get some wack job as a teacher or a rental agent at enterprise, but thats about it.....learn something else....thats in demand