I feel sorry for all you "you don't need college" ? in the next decade or so.

Options

Comments

• evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @freshb651 my first novel is coming will be releasing around Christmas...hard and paper..amazon and books a million will carry
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options

Some of these people with degrees need to create there own ? though. They can't all wait in line for jP Morgan investment jobs, and law firms to call. Create your own ? . We, young men, black, white, Latin, Asian, Persian, Indian, whatever, need to get together and create universal companies. The fact that we're all depending on someone else for jobs is our own fault. I swear on everything I will fly to a sit down with like minded people in different fields to create something amazing. But people are afraid of it. I have tried to bring people in on my personal thoughts and they always want to come back when money is made.

college gives you a starting point. It doesn't create limitations. That's people being weak minded

but the bolded is hypocritical when we constantly indoctrinating mofos to think they always need a college degree

especially when most colleges ain't teaching mofos ? that is worth the 1000s of dollars the student is in debt for

and most colleges teaching students how to fall in line anyways to reach for that corporate job

you can't be pro-entrepreneur and pro-college these days when the ROI for a college degree is questionable is ?

what type of business owner will you be if you think taking on 40K of college debt to possibly qualify for a 35K salary job is a good idea?

LMAO @ the benefits of being an educated debt-slave......what benefit is that really bringing to society?
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    how did you get it published ?,I'm curious because i have a couple book ideas and i need to now how to get them

published. @evoljeanyes,also link me to your book when it drops.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Amotekun wrote: »
    I feel sorry for ? that think having a degree>>>>>>>>>>>entrepreneur.

Workin for yourself is better than workin for anyone else.

Workin for someone outside of a union in a employ at will state is ? risky.

Goin to a trade school and being certified in Electrician, HVAC, Plumbing, Carpentry

guarantees you will either be employed or can go into business for yourself.

Buildings are going to stay being constructed people are going to always need repairs
    in their homes.

Unless you are going to university for the sciences you are foolin and bitin hard on the hustle.

t/s whole thread premise is just fool of smart dumb ? logic.

You do realize that majority of people running the most successful businesses and the people they hire to work for them have degrees right? Those same union laws are created and enforced by people with degrees. Going into business for yourself isn't as easy at it sounds, and it's not something everyone can do and do well. If so, everyone would do it
  • evoljeanyes
    Options

Some of these people with degrees need to create there own ? though. They can't all wait in line for jP Morgan investment jobs, and law firms to call. Create your own ? . We, young men, black, white, Latin, Asian, Persian, Indian, whatever, need to get together and create universal companies. The fact that we're all depending on someone else for jobs is our own fault. I swear on everything I will fly to a sit down with like minded people in different fields to create something amazing. But people are afraid of it. I have tried to bring people in on my personal thoughts and they always want to come back when money is made.

college gives you a starting point. It doesn't create limitations. That's people being weak minded

but the bolded is hypocritical when we constantly indoctrinating mofos to think they always need a college degree

especially when most colleges ain't teaching mofos ? that is worth the 1000s of dollars the student is in debt for

and most colleges teaching students how to fall in line anyways to reach for that corporate job

you can't be pro-entrepreneur and pro-college these days when the ROI for a college degree is questionable is ?

what type of business owner will you be if you think taking on 40K of college debt to possibly qualify for a 35K salary job is a good idea?

LMAO @ the benefits of being an educated debt-slave......what benefit is that really bringing to society?

I'm not a fan of college. My girl dropped out too and she is getting dough on her self made business and non profit.

College gives you direction. Some people need that. I knew at 8 I was gonna be in the NFL or a writer. Everyone doesn't have that. They need more schooling to decide.

If you don't need college you don't care what someone is feeding the masses. Going and gaining knowledge and connections in your field is not always bad. Not going and funding your own idea is rewarding.

The debt of college is the same or worse then the grind of overcoming your lack of a degree.
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    It's funny, I majored in English Lit because I planned on going to Law School but I wound up working in the Financial Service industry as an auditor.

Point being that the fact that I had a degree opened the door for interviews and my ability allowed my career to progress. I need to go back to school tho... I'm the only one in my family (Wife, Brother and Sister) that doesn't have a Masters or JD.

I was an English major as well, and thought I would go to Law school. I'm a contract negotiator and I'm pretty cool with that, for now... A lot of my lawyer friends aren't doing too hot, so I don't even want to do that ? anymore - not for $160,000 in new debt. SMH
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    how did you get it published ?,I'm curious because i have a couple book ideas and i need to now how to get them

published. @evoljeanyes,also link me to your book when it drops.

I will definitely bang it on the I.C... @freshb651 what type of books would you write? Are you a self starter? And do you have a marketing strategy?

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

The issue is what a person does with their opportunity. A person who would go to college and graduate only to come out and not do ? with their degree very likely wouldn't have done ? outside of college as well. They would have just found a job and sat there comfortable never wanting to move up. College isn't for everyone, but as it's been said, some form of higher education is needed in order to reach certain levels even if it's not in a college classroom. There's a reason that if you take up a trade, jobs will PAY FOR YOU to take certain classes and learn certain ? to get certified and do certain things. The more classes you take, the more people HAVE to pay you to hire you.

Also I will say while the system is ? up in terms of paying for school, there's way around it. There's all sorts of scholarships and grants out there that people simply don't look up. I know for a fact if I could manage to go to a school and somehow graduate with under 15k in debt yet my total tuition for my time there was over 200k, it can be done.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    Y'all ? wanna cite the few examples. Let's post them. Here's the list of college drop out billionaires in the entire world.

Bill Gates [5] - US
    Mark Zuckerberg [6] - US
    Lawrence Ellison [7] - US
    Eike Batista [8] - Brazil
    Michael Dell [9] - US
    Marc Rich [10] - US
    Ty Warner [11] - US
    Gautam Adani [12] - India
    Micky Jagtiani [13] - India
    Shahid Balwa [14] - India
    Subhash Chandra [15] - India
    Vinod Goenka [16] - India
    PNC Menon [17][18] - India
    Roman Abramovich [19] - Russia
    Sheldon Adelson [20] - US
    Amancio Ortega [21] - Spain
    Kirk Kerkorian [22] - US
    Donald Newhouse [23] - US
    François Pinault [24] - France
    Jack Taylor [25] - US
    Joaquín Guzmán Loera [26] (Mexican drug lord) - Mexico
    David Geffen [27] - US
    David Murdock [28] - US
    Ted Turner [29] - US
    Henry Fok [30] - Hong Kong
    Ralph Lauren [31] - US
    Mohammed Al Amoudi [32] - Saudi Arabia
    Stanley ? [33] - Hong Kong
    Dustin Moskovitz - US
    Richard Li - Hong Kong

Just so you know.....there are roughly 1200 billionaires in the world. That list comes out to about 4%. 4% of the world's billionaires are college drop outs...
    This list would be even shorter if you removed all of the ? who attended college at some point.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and the ones that actually know ? about computers.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word:
    Grahf wrote: »
    -Vincenzo- wrote: »
    Top Ten Best Paid Jobs in the USA

Let's not even get into Wall Street investment bankers or the Forbes list of the richest people in the world and see how many engineers or computer scientists are in there.

Engineering & Computer Science = High starting salary, little room for growth

You mentioned Forbes...how many of those surgeons or med students are making the kind of money that computer science majors with smart business sense like Bill Gates or Sergey Brin?....Zero........All these guys studied engineering or computer science. Give me a list of guys who studied medicine and pulled these figures...waiting...

Bill Gates - studied computer science at Harvard (going to Harvard equivalent to graduating any state school) ....worth $59 billion
    Sergey Brin - B.S. computer science at University of Maryland..Stanford PHD candidate...started Google...worth $16.7 billion
    Larry Page - B.S. computer engineering University of Michigan...Stanford PHD candidate...started Google...worth $16.7 billion
    Carlos Slim - world's richest man...studied engineering at National Autonomous University of Mexico...worth $63.3 billion
    Larry Ellison - Studied computer engineering and design...founded Oracle...worth $33 billion
    Charles Koch - B.S. engineering....Masters in mech engineering at MIT...worth $25 billion
    David Koch - B.S. and Masters in chemical engineering at MIT....worth $22.5 billion
    Jerry Yang - B.S. Standford in engineering...founded Yahoo!...worth $1.3 billion
    Pierre Omidyar - B.S. computer science at Tufts....founded Ebay...worth $6.2 billion
    Eric Schmidt - B.S. electrical engineer at Princeton University...worth $6.3 bilion
    Michael Bloomberg - B.S. electrical engineering at Johns Hopkins worth $19.5 billion
    Jeff Bezos - B.S. computer science....founded Amazon...worth $18.1 billion
    Mark Zuckerberg - studied computer science at Harvard...founded Facebook....worth $17.5 billion
    Paul Allen - studied computer engineering at Harvard....worth $13.2 billion

got some more...

Bernard Arnault - Europe's richest ? ...B.S. engineering at Ecole Polytechnique....worth $41 billion
    Eike Batiista - studied metallurgical engineering at University of Aachen...worth $30 billion
    Alexei Mordashov - studied engineering at Leningrad Engineering-Economical Institute...worth $18.5 billion
    Mukesh Ambani - B.S. chemical engineering at Institute of Chemical Technology...worth $ 27 billion
    Stefan Persson - MSc metal engineering at Siberian Metallurgic Institute....worth $24 billion
    Vagit Alekperov - B.S. engineering at Azerbaijan State Oil Academy...worth $13.9 billion
    Viktor Vekselberg - B.S. engineering at Moscow Transportation Engineering Institute...worth $13 billion
    Azim Premji - Engineering at Stanford....worth $16.8 billion
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Damn, engineers run that ? :
    fiat_money wrote: »
    _ _
    ibmbErRdz3XThd.gif
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not a fan of college. My girl dropped out too and she is getting dough on her self made business and non profit.

College gives you direction. Some people need that. I knew at 8 I was gonna be in the NFL or a writer. Everyone doesn't have that. They need more schooling to decide.

If you don't need college you don't care what someone is feeding the masses. Going and gaining knowledge and connections in your field is not always bad. Not going and funding your own idea is rewarding.

The debt of college is the same or worse then the grind of overcoming your lack of a degree.

well I'm actually a fan of college.......I have 3 degrees and currently working on a 4th

I'm just not a fan of the current system that exploits cats going to school assuming it's always in their best interest

I do care about what's feeding the masses when as a taxpayer, private corporations are getting better educated labor at my money's expense

the debt is greater than just money fam, time is something you can never get back

and unfortunately, many colleges are not giving direction as they promise..........hence the many lost grads you see today

getting a degree these days should be seriously evaluated against a cost/benefit analysis like any other huge investment IMO
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    i hope you ? realize that even when the economy goes up, there's also a lot more opportunities to get a little business started. We're also in the age of the internet. More ? are becoming entrepreneurs and everyday their inventing something off the web.

Plus, even in today's world, it's easier to get a bachelors degree with colleges and universities having little transfer programs for anybody who got diplomas and certificates. College has always been a safety net for getting jobs in a secure way, but there's always going to be people who are smarter than people who got book smarts and a degree.

the key word in any situation is "Network"

There's always people who hasn't got an ounce of college experience that has something they've created and has money coming from it, that's just how the world is, it doesn't matter if the next decade gets more tougher. Even though, in the next decade their might be a lot more NEW jobs and careers out there anyways.

• irad4185
    irad4185 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    College isn't for everybody especially at the cost that some schools charge. The greatest benefit of a degree is it's the easiest way of getting a foot in the door in an industry if you don't have connections and raw talent. Bill Gates and most of those billionaire drop out aint no different than Kobe, Lebron or Rose as far as using a school to push you to the next level.
  • 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    Options
    yes most industries require a degree and even trades are starting to require a 2 year degree and industry related certificates to just get your foot in the door...its ? up tho because college is expensive and tuition increases every year not including expensive such as gas (increasing) and books (you already know that's a racket)..im lucky i got the gi bill and some saved money helping me through school
  • evoljeanyes
    Options

well I'm actually a fan of college.......I have 3 degrees and currently working on a 4th

I'm just not a fan of the current system that exploits cats going to school assuming it's always in their best interest

I do care about what's feeding the masses when as a taxpayer, private corporations are getting better educated labor at my money's expense

the debt is greater than just money fam, time is something you can never get back

and unfortunately, many colleges are not giving direction as they promise..........hence the many lost grads you see today

getting a degree these days should be seriously evaluated against a cost/benefit analysis like any other huge investment IMO

I don't disagree with you at all...my ? has been in Med school 8 years and will never make more than 150k...

Schooling is laughable at tines. A lit degree is nothing. A history degree is nothing. Teaching is a joke.

I have friends that spent 30k a semester at emory and graduated and sell weed now g...

Its about your skill set amongst people not in books. And networking. The more successful people at ur school the more prestige
  • DaleTHEEWHVLE
    DaleTHEEWHVLE Members Posts: 8
    Options
    how about join the military and get out with the benefits and free schooling. especially getting paid at the same time..
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you are going to college just to get a degree because it will get you a job yoi have been brainwashed. Nothing wrong with going for an education.

I drive trucks at the rate I'm going I can enter semi-retirement at 35 without ever finishing college. I'm also about to submit my novel to a few publishing companies(the english professors at my old school all suggested it) and if I can get that published that can open up more doors. College is a scam I'll never pay another dime for school.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word. There are alternatives to college. The main thing is having a plan (and a backup plan), working at it, and adapting.

College isn't for everybody, and definitely isn't a guarantee. Admittedly though, some jobs won't even look at you if you don't have a degree - but there's other ones that will. Or you could start your own ? .
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »
    Word. There are alternatives to college. The main thing is having a plan (and a backup plan), working at it, and adapting.

College isn't for everybody, and definitely isn't a guarantee. Admittedly though, some jobs won't even look at you if you don't have a degree - but there's other ones that will. Or you could start your own ? .

Exactly, I work for myself with no bills(besides helping my girl back home out who took the college route and is in debt up to her shoulders) doing what I do. I took on a trainee month before last basically meaning I get paid double, and I took home 10k last month. There are other routes to take besides going to college and joining the millions of others with a degree who can't get a job.

• Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Key word: Connections.

The ones that didn't go to college and got filthy rich had connections to get to where they're at now.

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man i used to believe i didnt need a degree when i was in the military, then a ? got out thinking i was gonna get by with experience.

hell Naw, maybe its because Im in the DC metro area. But when i was going to those veteran job fairs...they would look at my resume..face all lighting up smiling liking what they would see. Then they would finish and frown up because education was my last block.

They would be like "Where is the rest of your education?" or "that it? you only have a HS education?" they made me feel bad and stupid as ? . Then I realized there were thousands of people who has similar skill sets and experience as me, but they also had a degree to push them ahead of the pack. That's how most jobs are. Now I am a year and 1/2 away from my BA and i started a year and half ago. Now i get tons of call backs just for having an AS

• FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    man i used to believe i didnt need a degree when i was in the military, then a ? got out thinking i was gonna get by with experience.

hell Naw, maybe its because Im in the DC metro area. But when i was going to those veteran job fairs...they would look at my resume..face all lighting up smiling liking what they would see. Then they would finish and frown up because education was my last block.

They would be like "Where is the rest of your education?" or "that it? you only have a HS education?" they made me feel bad and stupid as ? . Then I realized there were thousands of people who has similar skill sets and experience as me, but they also had a degree to push them ahead of the pack. That's how most jobs are. Now I am a year and 1/2 away from my BA and i started a year and half ago. Now i get tons of call backs just for having an AS

Yah, I think that might be it. Maybe it's different in other places.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we should get even less education than we get now?

If I'm not going to college, what should I do?
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    i dont understand the logic behind the OP soo.. ill just say... how about just do what you have to do to become who you want to be? College is used as a tool, but it isn't THE tool.