I feel sorry for all you "you don't need college" ? in the next decade or so.

Options

Comments

• illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea its over for that no college ? ,
    unless U wanna work and get paid minimum wage..
  • s_a_m_r_i_o
    s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pay thousands of dollars, be in debt and you don't find a job in that field (depending on the field) while non college goers make more money that you? That's a L for most of you.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need to see the statistics that show that ppl without degrees make more money over their lifetime than college grads...
    while y'all gather that info...
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    yea its over for that no college ? ,
    unless U wanna work and get paid minimum wage..
    Is it? Because I currently make a bit more than your average college grad in my area and I'm 22 with no degree.

....Then again I hustle (legally), and have money coming in from different directions... Some people only built to work that 9 to 5, watch MNF, and go to bed..

Not against college at all (going back to finish in January). Just saying degrees don't equal success, stop tryna fool the people. Also, just because you went to college doesn't mean you're educated. I been to uni, yall ? can fool me... I'd venture to say the majority of them muhfuckas dont EVER pick up a book for their own personal study. So miss me with that uppity ? . I got a library in my living room that I visit everyday
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    I need to see the statistics that show that ppl without degrees make more money over their lifetime than college grads...
    while y'all gather that info...

^this is what's wrong with the discussion, and is exactly why people can't see the truth

theres no practical formula dude. You're looking at it all wrong. Sure, go check the stats but thats all they are, STATS. Are you a statistic?

It just all depends on who you are as a individual and what it is you want to do. Are you not very goal oriented and disciplined but want to find a good steady desk job and eventually make a decent living? Go to school and major in accounting. Do you a very driven and ambitious computer geek who wants to start up his own computer repair company? Pull your money together for the start up costs, hook up with that accountant and play the Nike role and just do it. There's no ONE route to happiness and success. Do what works for you, make your contribution to the world, and fend for yourself/your family. Because at the end of the day, you the only one that really gives a ? about you, day in day out
  • Demarco27
    Demarco27 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad i wont be looking for a "job"...so i could care less what their qualifications are.

I feel sorry for ? who slave in the rat race like there isnt another way. Entreprenegro ftw
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    lol... so facts, numbers, etc don't matter?
    yeah ok... y'all have fun trying to be exceptions and outliers...
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @stop

so you saying cats balling on scholarships are wrong for trying to be that exception who makes it to the pro level?

• Black Boy King
    Options
    lol... so facts, numbers, etc don't matter?
    yeah ok... y'all have fun trying to be exceptions and outliers...

Lol ? stats. ol average ass ? .
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    @stop

so you saying cats balling on scholarships are wrong for trying to be that exception who makes it to the pro level?

nah... keep it in context...
    u generally have better life chances with a degree... not to mention masters and phds... to deny this is futile...
    this convo is about chances... why encourage folks to take the path of greater risk?
  • Feelin_Foolay
    Feelin_Foolay Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ? think selling a couple dvds out the back of their trunks is being an "entrepreneur"
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    @stop

u generally have better life chances with a degree... not to mention masters and phds... to deny this is futile...
    this convo is about chances... why encourage folks to take the path of greater risk?

but what about dreams tho?

what about getting in where you fit in?

there honestly are cats out there who would do a disservice to themselves by going to college, especially considering the drawbacks I mentioned earlier

I'd rather you go to college when you are ready and capable vs. just jumping in cause crowd logic says you should
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    .............meh deleted it.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    following your dreams and going to college are not mutually exclusive...
    and recognizing that u have better chances at financial stability is not the same as "crowd logic"...
    everyone is not meant to have a college education... but having one >>> not having one IN GENERAL...
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    and recognizing that u have better chances at financial stability is not the same as "crowd logic"...
    everyone is not meant to have a college education... but having one >>> not having one IN GENERAL...

the bolded is debatable

hence the premise of this thread

I see you @leftcoastkev haha

• Black Boy King
    edited September 2012
    Options
    @stop

....Come to think of it.. you might be on to somethin here. because i see now that we clearly have 2 different mentalities

some people built to take losses, some people not. i couldn't tell you if I'mma live under a bridge or coolaxin in a scarface mansion when I'm 45, but believe i'm goin for the scarface ? , and nothin less. ? don't get that going the safe, secure route (whatever that is these days!!)
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options

the bolded is debatable

hence the premise of this thread

I see you @leftcoastkev haha

heh heh......yeah i deleted the post cuz i thought twice on it and was like "nah, i didn't need to put that out there".

All I'll say is that yeah I'd put my kids through college but it's not needed for everyone to get ahead.

In the mean time, I'd try to stack up and put things in place where they wouldn't actually need the degree (after they have it) though
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    how is it debatable? college grads have lower unemployment rates, and earn more over their lifetime...
  • Black Boy King
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Eh... Real ish doe @stopitfive if you checkin for any good readings, here's one:

my Dad gave me this book when I was in 10th grade. ? opened my eyes to alot of ?

the-millionaire-next-door-book-review.jpeg
    Book Synopsis:

In this New York Times best-selling book, The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy, Dr. Thomas J. Stanley uses over two decades worth of surveys, personal interviews with millionaires, and data to reveal the secrets for building wealth in America.

In The Millionaire Next Door, Dr. Stanley shattered the contemporary held beliefs about America's rich - and how they got that way. It is seldom inheritance or advanced degrees or even intelligence that builds fortunes in this country. Wealth in America is more often the result of hard work, diligent savings, and living below your means. The Millionaire Next Door reveals the common denominators that show up again and again among those who have accumulated wealth.

Over 2 million copies of The Millionaire Next Door have been sold. And the book appeared on The New York Times best seller list for over three years. Based on interviews with Dr. Stanley, numerous articles about The Millionaire Next Door appeared in such publications as Fortune, Forbes, Money, U.S. News and World Report, The Limbaugh Letter, The New York Times Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and People Magazine. Dr. Stanley also profiled the typical millionaire next door while he was a featured guest on ABC's 20/20, The Today Show, and The Opray Winfrey Show.

I feel you would respect what's being said more if it were from a more reputable source as opposed to myself. And I'm off that whole "draggin horses to water and try force em to drink" ?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    ok... y'all are all over the place right now...
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    The book is just shows a bunch of stats that expose the majority of millionaires being hard workers that lived within their means, contrary to the popular belief that they are mostly people of high paid professions such as lawyers, doctors, entertainers, engineers, etc...

This thread is saying you need a bachelors degree to do well out here. The book I posted contradicts that exact sentiment.

• MF_Doomerville
    MF_Doomerville Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dawg I could give a ? about college tbh. I attend college right now but I do not take this ? serious. I have a full time job as well and my main focus is making money to support my wife and daughter RIGHT NOW not in 4 years when I get my degree. Ive completed my first year and am currently in my 2nd but this ? takes too long bruh.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    extreme cases...
    my point has nothing to do with millionaires... 99% of humans lack the drive/ruthlessness/luck to become millionaires, so thats not even the topic of discussion...
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    MobTown wrote: »
    man i used to believe i didnt need a degree when i was in the military, then a ? got out thinking i was gonna get by with experience.

hell Naw, maybe its because Im in the DC metro area. But when i was going to those veteran job fairs...they would look at my resume..face all lighting up smiling liking what they would see. Then they would finish and frown up because education was my last block.

They would be like "Where is the rest of your education?" or "that it? you only have a HS education?" they made me feel bad and stupid as ? . Then I realized there were thousands of people who has similar skill sets and experience as me, but they also had a degree to push them ahead of the pack. That's how most jobs are. Now I am a year and 1/2 away from my BA and i started a year and half ago. Now i get tons of call backs just for having an AS

Yah, I think that might be it. Maybe it's different in other places.

It depends on what you want to do. Like I said in another post to advance in any job you're going to have to further your education at some point, that's why jobs no matter what the field often will pay for you to take certain classes. Even trades and manual labor jobs pay more for the more certifications you have. You can have all the self made training, but more often than not the person with that simple piece of paper saying they completed some classes will get looked at first.
  • Black Boy King
    edited September 2012
    Options
    extreme cases...
    my point has nothing to do with millionaires... 99% of humans lack the drive/ruthlessness/luck to become millionaires, so thats not even the topic of discussion...

it supports my side of the argument that you do extremely well for yourself without college as the vast majority of millionaires in America are not college educated

we're talking about being successful with or without college, yeah? coulda sworn that's the basis of the OP...