Does "race" exist in modern humans????

Options

Comments

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Are there seperate genetically classifiable races????
    Oceanic wrote: »
    bambu wrote: »

"Scientists, for instance, have recently identified small changes in DNA that account for the pale skin of Europeans, the tendency of Asians to sweat less and West Africans’ resistance to certain diseases."

^^^ biological construct.........

People who have lived in the same geographic region for many generations may have some alleles in common, but no allele will be found in all members of one population and in no members of any other.
    http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/minorities.shtml

@Oceanic....

I am not sure why you think that a website created by the department of energy is going to contain any substantial research on this subject........

It is obvious that anything published by the U.S. government would maintain an egalitarian stance on the issue.......

You can do better......
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is those that have the spirit of Ahyah Asher Ahyah and there's those that dont, so i have to say yeah
  • bambu
    edited January 2013
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    i changed my mind. I say yes from a sub species stand point.

If we can classify dogs into sub species or breeds on the basis of very noticeable physical differences it only makes sense humans could also be put into various groups in this way.

breed and subspecies are not the same thing, they are not interchangeable. breeds are domestic animals whose characteristics are artificially selected and maintained by humans through animal husbandry are divided into different groups. dogs don't have any subspecies, in fact, they are the same species as wolves

who is breeding humans?

@kai_valya.......

Close but no cigar.......

Europeans perfected human breeding.........

Dogs are indeed the same species as wolves; Canis lupus.......

However, Dogs are a subspecies; Canis lupus familiaris.....

Breeds are similar to "race".......

Classifying a specific group of domestic animals or plants with a homogeneous appearance, behavior, and other characteristics that distinguish it from other animals or plants of the same species.......
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are humans too genetically similar to be classified as various races????
    But domestic dogs all fall in the same category, regardless of variation.
    Likewise, all humans are the same species.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    There is considerable biological variation in between human populations across the globe, resulting in fairly variable phenotypes. Traditionally human phenotypical variation has been described as breaking down into large continental races, characterized by easily definable traits. Humans were then classified into one of four or five phenotypical groups often based on skin color, hair texture, and ? anatomy, and which were matched to a continent with which each group were associated. Often racial classification of humans was described in terms of essential characteristics, and came to serve as a way of naturalizing social and cultural stereotypes about racial groups, in turn justifying or motivating different forms of racism. As the study of human biological variation advanced it became clear that most variation is clinally distributed and blends gradually from one area to the next, with no clear boundaries between continents, additionally different traits have different clinal distributions. This realization made many anthropologists and biologists abandon the idea of major human races, instead describing biological variation in terms of populations and clinally distributed traits.
    Today there is no scientific consensus on the biological relevance of race. While biological characteristics of an individual can give many clues about the geographical origin of their ancestors, anthropologists generally reject the notion of human "race" as a biological classification scheme. Instead they see it as a set of social constructions that map onto, but partly obscures, biological variation. Most anthropologists also maintain that the term "race" tacitly assumes that races are clearly bounded groups with essential characteristics, often ordered hierarchically and used to justify social inequality.[103][104][105] An opposing view has it that it is possible to talk about "races" without making essentialist or hierarchical assumptions, and some biologists and many forensic scientists use the word race to describe biological variation associated with continental ancestry. It is generally agreed upon that certain genetic traits, including some common illnesses, correlate with genetic ancestry from specific regions, and genetic ancestry as determined by racial identification is becoming an increasingly common tool for risk assessment in medicine.[106][107][108][109][110][111][112][113]
    The use of the term "race" to mean something like "subspecies" among humans is obsolete; ? sapiens has no existing subspecies (with the exception of ? sapiens sapiens, the subspecies which includes all existing humans). In its modern scientific connotation, the term is not applicable to a species as genetically homogeneous as the human one, as stated in the declaration on race (UNESCO 1950, re-ratified 1978[114]).[115] Genetic studies have substantiated the absence of clear biological borders; thus the term "race" is rarely used in scientific terminology, either in biological anthropology and in human genetics.[116] What in the past had been defined as "races"—whites, blacks, or Asians—are now defined as "ethnic groups" or "populations", in correlation with the field (sociology, anthropology, genetics) in which they are considered.[117][118]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/? _sapiens#Race
  • bambu
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @Oceanic............

Ol' "I bet you wont ban him" HEAD ASS ? .........

Begging for me get to get banned...........

Like a little ? ............

Naw ? ......

You gonna keep catching these flames.............

But....but......

There is considerable biological variation in between human populations across the globe, resulting in fairly variable phenotypes/"races".

qxFs1.gif

• Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Read the rest.

Traditionally human phenotypical variation has been described as breaking down into large continental races, characterized by easily definable traits. Humans were then classified into one of four or five phenotypical groups often based on skin color, hair texture, and ? anatomy, and which were matched to a continent with which each group were associated. Often racial classification of humans was described in terms of essential characteristics, and came to serve as a way of naturalizing social and cultural stereotypes about racial groups, in turn justifying or motivating different forms of racism. As the study of human biological variation advanced it became clear that most variation is clinally distributed and blends gradually from one area to the next, with no clear boundaries between continents, additionally different traits have different clinal distributions. This realization made many anthropologists and biologists abandon the idea of major human races, instead describing biological variation in terms of populations and clinally distributed traits.
    Today there is no scientific consensus on the biological relevance of race.
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    In the early 20th century the term was often used, in a taxonomic sense, to denote genetically differentiated human populations defined by phenotype.[1][2][3]
    While biologists sometimes use the concept of race to make distinctions among fuzzy sets of traits, others in the scientific community suggest that the idea of race is often used[4] in a naive[5] or simplistic way, i.e. that among humans, race has no taxonomic significance: all living humans belong to the same species, ? sapiens and subspecies, ? sapiens sapiens.[6][7] Social conceptions and groupings of races vary over time, involving folk taxonomies [8] that define essential types of individuals based on perceived traits. Scientists consider biological essentialism obsolete,[9] and generally discourage racial explanations for collective differentiation in both physical and behavioral traits.

It is demonstrated that race has no biological or genetic basis: gross morphological features which traditionally has been defined as races (e.g. skin color) are determined by non-significant and superficial genetic alleles with no link to any characteristics, such as intelligence, talent, athletic ability, etc. Race has been socially and legally constructed despite the lack of any scientific evidence for dividing humanity into racial baskets with any generalized genetic meaning.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)
  • bambu
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @Oceanic............

Like a little ? ............

Naw ? ......

But....but......

There is considerable biological variation in between human populations across the globe, resulting in fairly variable phenotypes/"races".

qxFs1.gif

@Oceanic.........

Save us the TITANGRAPH cut and pastes.........

We are all capable of reading wikipedia articles.......

Do you have a point to make???????????????
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok, so saying there are different races of humans, How the hell is that beneficial or helpful to the world we live in?
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @bambu, my apologies, I forgot you are unable to comprehend large amounts of text.

The point is phenotype does not equal race; neither does continental ancestry. The larger point is that race does not exist.

Phenotype is defined as The set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its genotype with the environment. or The observable physical or biochemical characteristics of an organism, as determined by both genetic makeup and environmental influences. For instance, if you have the genotype for a specific trait, BB or Bb being dominant on the end of one characteristic like Brown eyes over blue eyes it would be expressed as the phenotype brown eyes but if the genotype was recessive for blue eyes, expressed as bb, the phenotype would be blue eyes.

As far as continental ancestry goes, let me ask you a question: 2000 years from today, a person with continental ancestry in modern America (we will call this person human x), what race is human x?

And further, @bambu, since ? sapiens originated in Africa, and all of mankind ultimately has African ancestry, does that mean that everybody is black?

the scientific community suggest that the idea of race is often used in a naive or simplistic way.
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @Oceanic............

I didn't beg him to do anything. You were begging him to do his job. Turns out his job includes banning. I told him that I'd bet he won't ban you, which is one of his options as a mod. As a mod, his job is to ban posters for antagonizing (which, if you look at the forum rules, there is 0 tolerance for antagonizing). That means you were begging him to ban your self.
  • bambu
    Options
    Ok, so saying there are different races of humans, How the hell is that beneficial or helpful to the world we live in?

"They say that studying the differences, which arose during the tens of thousands of years that human populations evolved on separate continents after their ancestors dispersed from humanity’s birthplace in East Africa, is crucial to mapping the genetic basis for disease."
  • bambu
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @Oceanic............

Antagonization or Etherization ??????

Naw ? ......

But....but......

qxFs1.gif

Again ? ......

You keep typing TITANGRAPHS with common knowledge........

Is there a point that you are trying to make???????????

• Bodhi
    Options
    I already summed it up for you. Showing your inability to comprehend by repeating yourself and ignoring what was said to you is not the way to win a debate. Show some respect and a little more maturity when you speak to me.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Antagonization or Etherization? The former.
  • bambu
    Options
    Humans are too genetically similar to be classified as various races
    But...but.....
    Race doesn't exitst
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I did not say this:
    phenotypes/"races"

I said this:
    phenotypes

I also told you that phenotype does not equal race, and explained to you what a phenotype is, since you obviously do not know. Different phenotypes can and do exist within one population, for example, the Asian population.

According to the idea of race, all Asians are grouped into one race but there are various phenotypes all across Asia. The same should be understood in terms of humanity as a whole. Although there are various phenotypes, humans are one species, not seperate races. This is what the article said, but you are either unable to understand or are consciously twisting it for whatever reason. If the latter is the case, there is no need to insult the intelligence of anyone here.
  • bambu
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @Oceanic......

Ol' "what I meant to say" HEAD ASS ? ............

You keep posting common knowledge titangraphs and slithering around the issue...........

This debate has been framed as "does "race" exist in modern humans"........

Along with the majority of the public.........

You hopped in the camp that says that humans are too genetically similar to be defined various "races".........

A lot of noise was made about race being solely a social construct (not necessarily by you)............

I provided research that illustrated the biological differences in humans of varying continental origins.........

Whether you call it phenotype, race, ethnicity, geographic region of DNA origin..........

It still exists........

And you ? Darwinists claim that the biological differences in humans are "superficial"...............

Yet "science" illustrates that these differences encompass things like the ability to resist disease and the ability to produce sweat............

Now go back to the lab......

And get your argument squared up then come back when the ? is more presentable........
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Come back when you can read and act like a grown- up.
    Peace.

Here is the last argument. When you can understand it, we can proceed.

phenotype is the observable result of a genotype, so that could be anything from height to vision acuity which has nothing to do with race.

phenotype =/= race
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only true "race" is to the grave, the reaper is colorblind.
  • bambu
    Options
    @Oceanic......

Stop trying to run ? ......
    I didn't lose the argument on race. I'm waiting for you to get it through your thick skull that race does not equal phenotype, which you seem to be misunderstanding......has nothing to do with race.

But,but.....

There is considerable biological variation in between human populations across the globe, resulting in fairly variable phenotypes. Traditionally human phenotypical variation has been described as breaking down into large continental races, characterized by easily definable traits. Humans were then classified into one of four or five phenotypical groups often based on skin color

Now how are you gonna slither out of this one ? .......

systema.jpg
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Yeah...
    There is considerable biological variation in between human populations across the globe, resulting in fairly variable phenotypes.

However, as I've been trying to explain to you..
    phenotype is the observable result of a genotype, so that could be anything from height to vision acuity which has nothing to do with race.

phenotype =/= race

So what that really says, in layman's terms, is that people have a lot of differences; no two people look exactly alike, not that people can be seperated into separate species, subspecies, or races.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    systema.jpg

among humans, race has no taxonomic significance: all living humans belong to the same species, ? sapiens and subspecies, ? sapiens sapiens
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)

? sapiens sapiens
    Noun 1. ? sapiens sapiens - subspecies of ? sapiens; includes all modern races
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/? +sapiens+sapiens
  • bambu
    edited January 2013
    Options

phenotype =/= race

@Oceanic......

Height and vision acuity relate to biological continental ancestry.........

Peep Albinos ~ ? Nocturnus

Again silly ? ...........

Reading is fundamental.......
    It is generally agreed upon that certain genetic traits, including some common illnesses, correlate with genetic ancestry from specific regions, and genetic ancestry as determined by racial identification is becoming an increasingly common tool for risk assessment in medicine.