Official "What You Reading At The Moment" thread..........

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Went to Comic Shop Justice League 47 sold out :/

Damn that sucks.

? 's about to get real next issue
    The Anti-Monitor is once again reborn as Mobius and he wants his chair back. Only the combined might of the Justice League and the Crime Syndicate could stop him.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hush was spoiled too, but oh well..
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Hush was spoiled too, but oh well..

Hush is still worth the read....it's the middle of the story that full of suprises....trust after you read it, you'll see what I mean.
  • Broddie
    Options
    I don't really read the Batman books of today so I could be wrong but isn't new 52 Hush different enough from pre flashpoint Hush anyway that the new 52 events wouldn't really be considered a spoiler for the original Hush stories?

For example what hush does during the Batman reborn era could still come as a genuine surprise to somebody reading it for the first time who may only be familiar with the new 52 because it never has been acknowledged as having happened in the newer canon in the first place.
  • VIBE
    Options
    @DillaDeaf @Broddie

Being that as a child, my fav superhero as always been Batman, I've only seen him in movies and cartoons, so I'm trying to read Batman in order as best as I can, for the best, must read stuff, origins and what not to understand everything.

I know it's comics and they get confusing to put together, but so far, I've been able to gather this list in this order but there's confusion for me in some spots.

So what else is missing, what should be moved around..

Batman Year One
    Shaman
    Prey
    Gothic
    Venom
    Year Two: Fear the Reaper
    Monster Men
    Mad Monk
    Snow
    Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    Faces
    Terror
    Rules of Engagement
    Fortunate Son
    Killing Joke
    Death in the Family
    The Cult
    Blind Justice
    Lonely Place of Dying
    Robin: Hero Reborn
    Son of the Demon
    Bride of the Demon
    Birth of the Demon
    Sword of Azrael
    Knight fall 1-3
    Zero Hour: Crisis in Time
    Prodigal
    Contagion
    Legacy
    Batman/Deadman: Death & Glory
    Cataclysm
    No Man's Land 1-5
    JLA: Tower of Babel
    Superman: Emperor Joker
    Evolution
    Officer Down
    Hush 1&2
    Broken City
    As the Crow Flies
    Hush Returns

Superman/Batman:
    Public Enemies
    Supergirl
    Absolute Power
    Vengeance

War Drums
    War Games 1-3

Now it dips into Infinite Crisis but because of the list being solely Batman continuity, he's only listed those of Batman in IC. He said major spoilers lay ahead if only read in this way and not through the reading order of IC. Is it worth the read? Or should I just read the wiki? What about Under the Hood?

Face the Face
    Detective
    Superman/Batman Enemies Among Us
    Batman & Son
    The Black Glove
    Batman RIP

Final Crisis follows? Think I'll just read the wiki.

Battle for the Cowl
    Batman & Robin
    Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
    B&R: Batman vs Robin
    B&R: Return of Bruce Wayne
    B&R: Batman and Robin Must Die

What else afterwards up to the new 52 and forward?

Four of a Kind
    Man who Laughs

Where should I place those in the reading order? 4 of a kind, wanted to read their origins and Man who Laughs wasn't placed on the list.

Superman: Emperor Joker was tossed in there and said Batman plays an essential role, that this superman comic was one of the best superman titles? Is it really? Should I read it?

Again, the guy who has compiled this list has injected Superman, I'm all for good reads, and it doesn't bother me, but for continuity, this is a must read or one of those if you want to?

As for Miller's Dark Knight Returns And Dark Knight Strikes Again, should I read this right after year one?
  • DillaDeaf
    Options
    I'll check the list later, but right off memory, these are the BARE ESSENTIALS for any Batman fan to read:

Year One

Long Halloween (considered the sequel of sorts to Year One)

Dark Victory (sequel to LH)

Death in the Family -- basically one of the most critical Batman stories, it's effect is felt in the Multiverse still.

Hush

Contagion (the prelude to Cataclysm)

Cataclysm (which leads to the one of the best stories ever.... )

No Man's Land (The Arkham ames are based on this setup of Gotham..also this is the storyline where the first real official map of Gotham was made and still in use to this day, I'll upload the maps later so you can see for yourself)

Knightfall Saga -- comprising of three books (Knightsfall, KnightQuest, KnightEnd) ...this is the saga that that shows the true menace of Bane, an certain Bats family member takes up the cowl with one of the coolest Batman costumes to this day, and Bats on his "Nas Ether tour" aka just went you thought that ? was done............

Keep in mind, all these are pre-Flashpoint but were always considered the "best of the best" and normally after one reads those, they are almost fully caught up on Batman (pre-Flashpoint).
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I figured after a 3 year break I would return to Marvel and X-Men. What happened!? FF is gone. The X-Men don't even read like any of their previous incarnations and these creative teams are disappointing.

Cullen Bunn apparently is finding work still, Lemire is working with one of the worst premises. And all these Cyclops references are like "my cousin" in Supergirl's TV show. I won't be back. This whole universe needs to be rebooted.

Otherwise, Phonogram is still good.

• Broddie
    Options
    Man Who Laughs is essential before Long Halloween otherwise Joker makes no sense. The Dark Moon rising titles (Monster Men, Mad Monk) as well since it's the middle ground from the transition from gangsters to freaks.
  • DillaDeaf
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Man Who Laughs is essential before Long Halloween otherwise Joker makes no sense. The Dark Moon rising titles (Monster Men, Mad Monk) as well since it's the middle ground from the transition from gangsters to freaks.

I forgot about The Man Who Laughs..........also wanted to see the movie of the same name since it's the inspiration behind the Joker literally.......
  • VIBE
    Options
    Finished Year One, reading Shaman.

Gotta say, I didn't think I would like these older comics, just because I only am used to the newer art. But damn they're good. The ? happened to such good dialogue? Love the way it's all written. Year One was great.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Year one was dope af. First batman graphic novel ive copped.
  • DillaDeaf
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Finished Year One, reading Shaman.

Gotta say, I didn't think I would like these older comics, just because I only am used to the newer art. But damn they're good. The ? happened to such good dialogue? Love the way it's all written. Year One was great.

Year One was written by Frank Miller..........that alone tells you.

• Broddie
    Options
    Frank Miller in his prime. Back when he really had something to say.
  • Broddie
    Options
    DillaDeaf wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »

I forgot about The Man Who Laughs..........also wanted to see the movie of the same name since it's the inspiration behind the Joker literally.......

It's a pretty creepy movie but you gotta put yourself in the mood to only view it within the context of the style of golden age movies of course. If you don't like old movies it might seem corny or outdated.
  • VIBE
    Options
    Legends of the Dark Knight
    Star Wars
    Star Wars: Darth Vader
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman just whupped all 4 Ninja Turtles.. Without even trying... i recall seeing a thread or post in which a hypothetical Bat Family (Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Red Hood) vs TMNT...was posted.. I think it can be put to rest.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Just bought:

Sandman: preludes and nocturne
    Spawn 256
    Savior 1 and 2
    Martian manhunter 8
    Cyborg 6
    Doctor fate 7
    Green lantern corps: edge of oblivion 1
    Green lantern lost army 6
    Suicide squad 16
    Green lantern 48
    Jla 6
    Batman 48
  • Broddie
    Options
    Batman just whupped all 4 Ninja Turtles.. Without even trying... i recall seeing a thread or post in which a hypothetical Bat Family (Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Red Hood) vs TMNT...was posted.. I think it can be put to rest.

That was such ? . But what else can you expect from comic writer's favorite Mary sue (Batman)?
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    This Bloom villain snyder thought up is weird af in the current batman arc. Looks like i jumped back in right on time. Bruce is going back to the batcave. Kind of want to check out a few earlier issues of jim gordon taking over and find out what happened to bruce wayne and why he stopped.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When did Constantine become ? ? That ? took me off guard. I was starting his book when I ran into that
  • jono
    Options

This is why I dont read Batman. I read the first book and aw Batman face off with Shredder almost immediately and I was done

Now reading this got me...

shaq-face.jpg
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    When did Constantine become ? ? That ? took me off guard. I was starting his book when I ran into that

I've read he's always been bisexual since his beginning. Been a couple stories that he was with a dude nh. Saw it on some comicbook fact site lol
  • jono
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

I've read he's always been bisexual since his beginning. Been a couple stories that he was with a dude nh. Saw it on some comicbook fact site lol

I wasn't that familiar wifh the character. I recently saw the movie and despite my hatred of Keanu Reeves i enjoyed it so I saw he had a new ongoing book and BAM he flirting with some dude...
  • Broddie
    Options

He's been bi since the original Hellblazer series.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Just bought:

Sandman: preludes and nocturne
    Spawn 256
    Savior 1 and 2
    Martian manhunter 8
    Cyborg 6
    Doctor fate 7
    Green lantern corps: edge of oblivion 1
    Green lantern lost army 6
    Suicide squad 16
    Green lantern 48
    Jla 6
    Batman 48

Martian Manhunter has been a really good title. Good to see I'm not the only one reading it around here.