Official "What You Reading At The Moment" thread..........

Options

Comments

• lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Just bought:

Sandman: preludes and nocturne
    Spawn 256
    Savior 1 and 2
    Martian manhunter 8
    Cyborg 6
    Doctor fate 7
    Green lantern corps: edge of oblivion 1
    Green lantern lost army 6
    Suicide squad 16
    Green lantern 48
    Jla 6
    Batman 48

Kinda gave up on this ? again. Was the latest issue any good? Is that ? still walking around Hell or did he make it to the Devil yet?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Just bought:

Spawn 256
    Savior 1 and 2
    Martian manhunter 8
    Cyborg 6
    Doctor fate 7
    Suicide squad 16
    Green lantern 48
    Jla 6
    Batman 48

Martian Manhunter has been a really good title. Good to see I'm not the only one reading it around here.

I literally just jumped into it. It wasn't bad, I'm a little lost though not knowing what happened before though. But good enough for me to keep checking out. Doctor fate was a little odd. Cool it has Egyptian mythology in it though.
    Just bought:

Spawn 256
    Savior 1 and 2
    Martian manhunter 8
    Cyborg 6
    Doctor fate 7
    Suicide squad 16
    Green lantern 48
    Jla 6
    Batman 48

Kinda gave up on this ? again. Was the latest issue any good? Is that ? still walking around Hell or did he make it to the Devil yet?

Spawn and savior I haven't read yet. Just my dc titles so far. I'll let ya know when I get home. I don't think 256 is the latest issue. I could be wrong though. At the shop they had random spawn issues . 247, 256, and a few in between I was hoping to get issue 250 but they didn't have it. I'm a big spawn fan, I'll foolishly keep supporting it even if I hate it lol. Will follow up later after I read though.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Just bought:

Spawn 256
    Savior 1 and 2
    Martian manhunter 8
    Cyborg 6
    Doctor fate 7
    Suicide squad 16
    Green lantern 48
    Jla 6
    Batman 48

@Broddie could you recommend some dc titles I should check out if it isn't listed on this list?

Next week I was gonna pick up superman, flash, aquaman, detective, batman Europa, and maybe jlu. Only marvel titles I'll be picking up is moon knight and black panther when they drop. I might pick up a couple extras.

When I stopped buying, wonder woman was a highly recommended book. I heard it sucks now.

I like the current suicide squad story with black manta.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just bought:

Spawn 256
    Savior 1 and 2
    Martian manhunter 8
    Cyborg 6
    Doctor fate 7
    Suicide squad 16
    Green lantern 48
    Jla 6
    Batman 48

@Broddie could you recommend some dc titles I should check out if it isn't listed on this list?

Next week I was gonna pick up superman, flash, aquaman, detective, batman Europa, and maybe jlu. Only marvel titles I'll be picking up is moon knight and black panther when they drop. I might pick up a couple extras.

When I stopped buying, wonder woman was a highly recommended book. I heard it sucks now.

What characters you like?

Superman is in the middle of a story. Aquaman is ending one and Flash is starting a new one. Batman Europa has one issue to go and 4 in total so it's easy to catch up. JLU had it's final issue last month.

The main WW book fell off with the current creative team. For good Wonder Woman stories read Sensation Comics, Legend of the Wonder Woman and/or Superman/Wonder Woman.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Just bought:

Spawn 256
    Savior 1 and 2
    Martian manhunter 8
    Cyborg 6
    Doctor fate 7
    Suicide squad 16
    Green lantern 48
    Jla 6
    Batman 48

What characters you like?

Superman is in the middle of a story. Aquaman is ending one and Flash is starting a new one. Batman Europa has one issue to go and 4 in total so it's easy to catch up. JLU had it's final issue last month.

The main WW book fell off with the current creative team. For good Wonder Woman stories read Sensation Comics, Legend of the Wonder Woman and/or Superman/Wonder Woman.

I like all the Solo JL Characters. Bummed that JLU is stopping, was wanting to check them out cuz i wasnt very familiar with anyone on their team. I have issues 1-16 of Flash, i actually enjoyed it when i read horrible reviews for it so im definitely gonna get that one. As well as Aquaman, he had a dope New 52 beginning.

Ill probably hold off on Wonder Woman, but i need some female characters to read. Was thinking about picking up harley quinn.

Also interested in that Darkseid War. Looks pretty cool, but hate buying all the tie ins like Darkseid War: Flash, Darkseid War: Lex Luthor, etc.

Heard Sinestro is good too, prolly gonna check that out, but im interested in all characters as long as the book is good.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Comics are even more subjective than movies. Reviewers tend to be cynical spoiled man children with ? retentive sensibilities. Never trust reviews just read for yourself.

Like I said if you want to read Wonder Woman stick with the books I mentioned. Don't know about Harley because I have never liked that character but Batgirl and Black Canary are pretty good. Same with Starfire (from the same creative team as Harley Quinn's book).

Darkseid War is very self contained. All you need to read is Justice League and it's well worth catching up with. The one shots are only supplementary not obligatory.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Comics are even more subjective than movies. Reviewers tend to be cynical spoiled man children with ? retentive sensibilities. Never trust reviews just read for yourself.

Like I said if you want to read Wonder Woman stick with the books I mentioned. Don't know about Harley because I have never liked that character but Batgirl and Black Canary are pretty good. Same with Starfire (from the same creative team as Harley Quinn's book).

Darkseid War is very self contained. All you need to read is Justice League and it's well worth catching up with. The one shots are only supplementary not obligatory.

Oh ok, cool. I was wondering why no other characters like GL had darkseid issues. Ill probably check the Darkseid War arc out. They are on issue one right now and Ive never seen a big Darkseid story before. He appeared in the first few Justice League issues i have of the new 52, but i didnt stick with it long enough to see what he does.

I like what they did with the GL corps though. Im reading that little Miniseries that just started with Guy Gardner and John Stewart stuck in that other universe in the future and have to find their way home. Pretty cool so far, and Hal Jordan is all alone. Ill look into Batgirl and Black Canary, not too familiar with either of them.

I have JLA. Saw JLU but you said they are on their last issue. Is there just a regular "Justice League" book? I only saw Justice League United, and Justice League of America. JLA has Flash, WW, Bats, Supes, etc. JLU had random characters. Is JLA the book you recommended i follow up on? They are currently on issue 6. Or is a Justice League book from the new 52 still going that should be on issue 48ish?
  • Broddie
    Options
    Justice League is the book by Geoff Johns (Where Darkseid War is happening). JLA is by Bryan Hitch (Ultimates) and it deals with the Kryptonian ? Rao.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Damn wtf. I cant find JL anywhere. Thats the only book Johns is writing?

Heard they got Snyder moving to Detective. I was a big fan of detective when it first dropped, but heard its fallen off since then. Wonder where Capullo will go. Hes one of my favorite artists and i love his work on Spawn and Batman.

Hope they bring back JL Dark and Swamp Thing. I heard there is going to be a mini reboot, or atleast some new titles starting for DC in the upcoming months.
  • Broddie
    Options
    They started a Swamp Thing mini series a few weeks ago and yeah JL is Johns only book but he will also return to Aquaman soon.
  • Broddie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Detective was trash at the beginning
    Got great with John Layman's run then flip flopped between bad and good for a bit. Haven't read Manapul's run and I don't read anything Batman by Scott Snyder.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Lol thats ? up, i really enjoyed detective. It did get better in later issues that i have though. Same thing with Red Lanterns, had horrible reviews, but i really enjoyed the first 8 if i remember correctly. Then they started getting wack to me once the main corps split up. You not a fan of Anything scott snyder? Or just what he does with Batman? i thought his Swamp Thing was pretty cool. Was my first experience with the characters though, not sure how they were back when you started reading them back in the day.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Just his Batman. His Swanp Thing wasn't bad.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Batman just whupped all 4 Ninja Turtles.. Without even trying... i recall seeing a thread or post in which a hypothetical Bat Family (Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Red Hood) vs TMNT...was posted.. I think it can be put to rest.

That was such ? . But what else can you expect from comic writer's favorite Mary sue (Batman)?

lol I suppose,aside from the obvious batman the gawd fan boy worship, the possible rationale is the turtles are in essence teenagers while Bats knowledge of multiple forms of martial arts is greater than the Turtles who practice only ninjutsu
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lol thats ? up, i really enjoyed detective. It did get better in later issues that i have though. Same thing with Red Lanterns, had horrible reviews, but i really enjoyed the first 8 if i remember correctly. Then they started getting wack to me once the main corps split up. You not a fan of Anything scott snyder? Or just what he does with Batman? i thought his Swamp Thing was pretty cool. Was my first experience with the characters though, not sure how they were back when you started reading them back in the day.

Man just read the issues your interested in and determine if you like it or not. With comics and you pointed this out liking a comic that got bad reviews (Red Lanterns) you will always find a strong contingent that hates a critically acclaimed comic and love a comic that gotten lukewarm to bad reviews and vice versa.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Finished my last batch that I bought. I been torrenting the weekly releases from dc and marvel and went back to September 2015 and been reading those trying to catch up to current arcs or get me a little more familiar.

Just got back from the comicbook store and didn't have much cash to spare but walked out with issues 3 and 4 of savior and issue 47 and 48 of aquaman. Still can't find a justice league book besides Jla and hlu and 3001. No Geoff Johns anywhere.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Just copped:

Swamp thing 1 and 2
    Cyborg 7
    Doctor fate 8
    Teen titans 16
    Spawn 260
    Jla 7
    Superman 47
    Green lantern 49
    Spiderman miles morales 1
  • Broddie
    Options
    I've been looking for JLA #7 for 2 weeks now and I shop at a very popular and over stocked store. So weird.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I've been looking for JLA #7 for 2 weeks now and I shop at a very popular and over stocked store. So weird.

I've been looking for that justice league book written by Geoff Johns you were talking about. I found jla, not by Johns though. There is the Darkseid war written by Johns. There's multiple books focusing on different characters though and they are all on issue 1. Darkseid war: shazam, Lexx luthor, and superman so far. And a 100 page Darkseid war book that I think is the very first book released in the arc.

Copped the miles morales book, so wtf is going on there? People in his universe are getting killed and he's the only one left it looks like and I've been hearing he's coming to or is already in the regular marvel universe. Can anyone confirm wtf is going on? Thanks
  • Broddie
    Options
    Darkseid War tie ins are just one shots (no further issues). 100 page spectaculars are just reprints DC does of old pre-flashpoint stuff to catch up new readers with the mythology. It has nothing to actually do with the darkseid war just happens to use many of the same characters.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Todays Pickup:

Flash 48
    Batman 49 Neal Adams Variant
    The Darkseid War: Superman 1
    The Darkseid War: Shazam 1
    The Darkseid War: Lex Luthor 1
    Sinestro 16-19
    Suicide Squad 17
    Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion 2

And i saw some vertigo comic called Unfollow that had its back issues, i got issues 1-3 to check it out. Never got a vertigo comic before besides this sandman prequel graphic novel.

Finally got some boards for my comics too. Gonna be takin care of my babies tonight
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any good Nat Turner books ?
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    The Swamp Thing Mini series is starting out pretty good imo. Any swamp thing fans should check that ish out.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Today's buy

Sinestro 20
    Superman 48
    Deadpool merc with a mouth 1
    Doctor fate 9
    Martian manhunter 9
    Suicide squad most wanted dead shot and Katana 1
    The dark ? by vertigo #1
  • Broddie
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Any good Nat Turner books ?

Nat Turner by Kyle Baker was pretty ? great.