(((******OFFICIAL 2013/14 DIRTEE-BIRD THREAD******))) #TRAPbackJUMPIN!

Options

Comments

• ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The draft hasnt gone how I expected but I like the pickups. Especially the Ra'Shede and Shembo pick. We gettin bigger and drafting guys that are nasty. Now Stephen Jackson wont be bigger than half our damn defense.

Dont know much about that safety but from what I have read he may be a project, but we got a stop gap player until he is ready. I like the RB pick too. I wanted a guy with more speed but Freeman should be a solid RB for us.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I think Freeman has good "football speed."

Whis is better than track speed especially for RB's.

Having "track fast" running backs ain't always what it's cracked up to be. '

Word to Jerious Norwood. lol
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I like that we drafted a lot of LB's. Big ones too. Even though most/all are projects I like that we getting bigger.

Smallword is 6'3 240
    Starr is 6'5 240
    Spruill is listed at only 6'0 230 but he looks bigger than that.
    Shembo is 6'2 250

Most of the LB's on our roster are around 220-230.
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I like the LBs and Spruill looks like he could be a monster in a year or two.

Overall I give the draft a B cause it filled most of the needs

-OL starter

-LB depth

-Complementary RB

The only thing that holds it back is we still really didn't address the pass rush issue and the TE position still looks a lil shaky after shawty lo.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2014
    Options
    B- is what I'll give it.

It could easily be upgraded to a A depending on how they pan out. Like Ya Boi said, I LOVE the "big nasty" movement with the linebackers.

"Small and Fast" just ain't cutting it. Especially when your D-line isn't getting any push and those small, inexperienced LB's have to fight off multiple blockers on run plays, but not athletic enough to cover TE's and RB's in the flats.

My favorite Pick is Ra'Shede. I'll go with him or Shempo as our team's rookie of the year this year. Matthews will get the most opportunity, and he'll be a good one, but OT's learning curve is similar to a QB (believe it or not) so I won't be surprised if he gives early. (which is another reason why I didn't want a OT with the first pick.)

First draft we've had in a while where almost all of our picks will get a shot to get significant playing time if they make the team.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    The only UDFA's I can vouch for are...

Pederson, TE (Wisconsin) - Saw him play a lil bit. Good blocker and can catch. Not the most athletic. Probably has a good shot at making the roster or practice squad.

Tramaine Thompson, WR (Kansas State) - Probably won't make the team, but he's a small but fast Punt-Return type. He got a 1,000 yards as the #2 next to Tyler Lockett who'll probably be a top 2 round pick next year. Only way he makes the team is if (? Forbid) something happens to Hester.
  • suzyscrew
    suzyscrew Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like that lineup on both sides of the ball. I'm thinking osi will be cut. I just get that feeling. I also think they'll pick up an end lineman when other teams trim their roster.
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    Yeah it's cool. I'm excited to see what this D line can do with the depth and size TD brought in.
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    Mini camp report

1. Temper Expectations on Most Rookies...: If you're looking for rave reviews of players from rookie minicamp, you might just want to pump the brakes for now. Just a week ago, many of the participants in this weekend's minicamp hadn't even been drafted yet, and now, they're trying to cram an NFL playbook into their heads and impress the coaching staff. It doesn't always come along so easily and head coach Mike Smith summed up the first day of rookie minicamp by dampening the expectations: "Well, we saw a bunch of young guys that really didn't know what they were doing, but the effort was good. The effort was outstanding."

2. ... Unless That Rookie is Jake Matthews: It shouldn't come as much surprise that the Falcons' sixth overall selection, offensive tackle Jake Matthews, was the exception to the above rule. Matthews put on a clinic on what it takes to be an NFL offensive lineman in his first minicamp performance. Smith said that Matthews was "everything that we anticipated he was going to be" after his first session. Matthews saw plenty of action Friday at right tackle and took on some of the best competition available among the rookies and tryout players, including second-round selection Ra'Shede HagemanPosted Image. Matthews shined in his first day and there was little question about his readiness.

3. Toughness Showing Already: Toughness has been the big buzzword this offseason and it's important to note that the Falcons have backed all that talk up by bringing in some rookies who are known for their toughness. Matthews told the media that there have been a few occasions during walkthrough sessions where the coaching staff has had to remind players that they're supposed to be running half speed. "We were busting lips and hitting guys, I busted my nose up and I was bleeding, but we were getting after it. That's the big thing I've taken away from this group is that these guys love to work and I'm glad to be a part of the group because they take a lot of pride in what they do."

4. Familiarity Helps: The Falcons have several players in rookie minicamp, both draft and undrafted, who have some familiarity with the coaching staff after Mike Smith and his crew headed up the South team at the Senior Bowl in January. Those players who went through an entire week with the coaching staff — from practices to meals to film room — are finding that their heads may not be spinning as much as some of the rookies who didn't have that opportunity to work with Smith's staff. Said third-round safety Dezmen SouthwardPosted Image, a member of that Senior Bowl squad: "It was huge. Our whole first install (Friday) was exactly what we did at the Senior Bowl, so there was a lot of carryover. We did a lot of the same exact things and some of the guys that were coming in starting from scratch, I had my board already written on a little bit."
    A side note on Southward: Since arriving in Flowery Branch on Sunday night, he's been doing everything he can to pick safety William MoorePosted Image's brain on anything he can think of. "Everything he says, I listen to. I look forward to learning from him in the future."

5. Baby Steps for Big Man: He's 6-foot-6 and 318 pounds, but Hageman — the Minnesota defensive tackle the Falcons are converting to defensive end — is all about approaching his first experiences in the NFL like a baby, with small steps and a whole lot of wonder. Hageman says the baby steps philosophy he's taking right now will help him take in as much knowledge as he can from the Falcons coaching staff, specifically defensive line coach Bryan ? . Calling himself "a dry sponge" who's looking to soak up as much as he can, Hageman's approach starts with himself. He'll worry about the competition later. "I definitely put a lot of pressure on myself just to do good. I don't want to be average. Just to convert from college to the NFL, it actually takes time, so you've got to be patient."
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Good to hear about Matthews. I hope he proves me wrong just like Matty Ice did. But if he don't...
  • bigduece69
    bigduece69 Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Roddy White brother was shot dead. Dude was only 21 years old. Damn shame.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I know it's the last thing on his mind, but I wonder how this will effect his play.

Might be some self-blame type ish going on since he used to live with Roddy in Atlanta for 7 years and apparently he moved back to South Carolina where this happened.

Checked Roddy's twitter page yesterday and he was all smiles the day before this at a fundraiser with, of all people, his moms and grandma..

RIP
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    StevenJackson_original_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=433&q=85

oh-my.gif

TCFVo3v.png

1853_1358733789.gif
    lol. Chill. Ain't that serious yet. That "keeping up with the jones" ? can get you ? up.

3 weeks in. Nobody was giving us paper championships when we were 8-0 last year. No need to be talkin' bout firing coaches after losing two games by a combined 10 points in the first 2 weeks.
    First game we lawst by more than 1 score. Seem like a few players are quitting.

Next week will say alot. Division games should always be tight due to rivalry, but if we play like we did today against a division rival then I'ma have to get on that bandwagon that Numbaz was talmbout a few weeks ago.

Sorry, Smitty. Just business.
    Can Smitty keep these nikkas from lying down for a 5th straight week?

That's what I'll be watching for...

• Livefromclayco
    Options
    Day 2 practice report
    1) Prince Shembo, the outside linebacker from Notre Dame and the team's second fourth-round pick, showed tremendous explosiveness throughout the day. Smith talked about Shembo having the ability to play defensive end, outside linebacker, and inside linebacker in a multiple defense.

2) It appeared as if second-round pick Ra'Shede Hageman, the defensive end from Minnesota, knocked down a pass during one drill. The Falcons hope Hageman makes a habit of batting down ? at the line of scrimmage.

3) Seventh-round pick Tyler Starr, the outside linebacker from South Dakota, showed some speed on his rush during full-team drills.

4) Undrafted quarterback Jeff Mathews again threw some nice ? , but his receivers had a lot of drops throughout the day. Mathews did overthrow a couple.

5) Receiver Julian Jones almost lost an eyeball after making a catch over the middle. A defender scraped him across the face.

6) Cornerback Ricardo Allen, the fifth-round pick from Purdue, was very conscious about working on his backpedal and footwork in between drills.

7) Freeman showed some speed in outracing Allen and fellow cornerback L.J. Jones to the end zone on one play. Jones is a tryout player from Fresno State.

8) Shembo, Starr, and undrafted signee Jacques Smith from Tennessee -- all outside linebackers -- were the last ones off the field as they stayed to get in some extra work. Don't be surprised if all three are contributors this coming season.

9) Speaking of Shembo, he was forced to do some up-downs midway through practice, although it was unclear what the punishment was for. Defensive line coach Bryan ? also had defensive lineman Ryan Isaac doing the same at the end of practice. Isaac is a tryout player from Purdue.

10) In news unrelated to the rookies, Smith didn't seem too concerned about the status of receiver Julio Jones (foot surgery) and linebacker Sean Weatherspoon (knee sprain) coming off injuries as Smith again emphasized taking it slow with those players this offseason. In other words, don't expect to see Jones or Weatherspoon do much activity until training camp.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Starting to get a good feeling about Shembo.

That ? ? in college knocked his stock down a bit so he might be a steal. He got a 2nd round grade from a lot of boards.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Was about to say that's probably one of the fastest draft signings ever, but I forgot the draft was a month late.

Almost have to sign these nikkas asap.
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White had been expecting a new contract extension following the draft, but a life situation has delayed those negotiations for an undetermined period of time, according to two sources informed of the situation.
    The belief is a deal will be done by training camp, rather than this spring.

• Livefromclayco
    Options
    Can't wait for the season
    To start

Jacquizz-Rodgers-Atlanta-Falcons.gif

The old Quizz. I hope this version shows up instead of that pussyfooting ? that wore his jersey last year
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think Quizz reached his ceiling that year. Maybe it was ? O-line, but he looked like he had no burst. I guarantee Barry Sanders or Herchel Walker TODAY could've did just as much as him last year.

Like he aged 8 years in one offseason.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I'll have my eye on Darius Johnson this year in preseason and camps.

If he plays like he did last year with Julio and Roddy at full strength = problem.

Besides, Allday's favorite receiver will have to have a career year to stay on the roster for 2015.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Well Damn.

Now Julio Jones' brother got shot and lost his arm...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/28/report-julio-jones-brother-loses-arm-in-shooting/

Somebody go check on Toney Douglass...
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    Report from 1st day of OTAs
    1. When defensive coordinator Mike Nolan screamed out "base defense" midway through practice, the Falcons move into a 3-4 setup with Tyson Jackson, Paul Soliai and Jonathan Babineaux up front, Paul Worrilow and Joplo Bartu as the inside linebackers, and Stansly Maponga and Jonathan Massaquoi rushing as outside linebackers.

2. Left tackle Sam Baker seemed to move around fine coming off what he called a complicated knee surgery. He did not wear a knee brace and practiced the entire two hours without noticeably sitting out reps. Smith felt Baker moved around "extremely well" on Wednesday.

3. Speaking of reps, tight end Levine Toilolo had an undisclosed injury that limited his reps, and he spent time with the training staff during the session. Bear Pascoe and Mickey Shuler got a lot of work as the blocking tight ends in double-tight end sets.

4. Outside linebacker Kroy Biermann, in his return from an Achilles' tear, had a pretty light day of work. He did spend extensive time early in practice working on his swim move with outside linebackers coach Mark Collins.

5. Another player emphasizing his technique was pass-rusher Osi Umenyiora, who worked on his spin move during a break in between individual drills. Umenyiora did individuals with the defensive tackles and defensive ends rather than the outside linebackers.

6. Rookie Prince Shembo, who appeared to line up more at outside linebacker during rookie minicamp, spent the majority of the day at inside linebacker. He did individual drills with the inside linebackers.

7. Free safety Dwight Lowery, a veteran signed this offseason, picked off a Matt Ryan pass that seemed to be a more of a miscommunication between Ryan and the receiver. Lowery spent the entire day with the first-team defense alongside strong safety William Moore.

8. Rookie defensive end Ra'Shede Hageman started yelling at himself after messing up one play. He seems to be really hard on himself. Nolan and defensive line coach Bryan ? had to calm him down.

9. There were a couple of skirmishes. Shuler and Maponga got into it after Shuler pushed Maponga to the ground after the whistle. Earlier, offensive tackle Terren Jones mixed it up with defensive end Nosa Eguae.

10. Rookie offensive tackle Jake Matthews showed great quickness throughout the day and looked more like a veteran next to the other four offensive linemen. Another rookie who stood out was cornerback Ricardo Allen, who made a tremendous play on the ball during one-on-one coverage drills.