The 2013 New Orleans Saints Off-season discussion thread

Options

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I'm leaning more to taking Austin or Patterson over defense.

At 6'2 215 and sub 4.4 speed, I think Brees can work some magic.

No I am leaning toward Jessie williams.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

I wasn't impressed with Bama dline.

They all played good but no one was special.
  • caddo man
    Options

I wasn't impressed with Bama dline.

They all played good but no one was special.

When williams was hurt. That d-line was swiss cheese. He came back and plugged the middle up. they had no pass rush at all.
  • caddo man
    Options
    Here is how I see the New Orleans Saints' starting lineup as they head toward the NFL draft:

OFFENSE

WR Marques Colston

LT Charles Brown

LG Jahri Evans

C Brian De La Puente

RG Ben Grubbs

RT Zach Strief

TE Jimmy Graham

WR Lance Moore

QB Drew Brees

RB Pierre Thomas and/or Darren Sproles

FB Jed Collins

DEFENSE

DE Will Smith

DT Brodrick Bunkley

DE Cameron Jordan

OLB Victor Butler

ILB Curtis Lofton

ILB Jonathan Vilma

OLB Junior Galette or Martez Wilson

CB Keenan Lewis

CB Jabari Greer

FS Malcolm Jenkins

SS Roman Harper

Notes: Brown is not a sure thing at all at left tackle. The Saints may draft a left tackle or sign one later in free agency. The team has high hopes for Wilson and Galette, but still could look to add a pass-rushing linebacker. The starting cornerbacks are probably set, but the Saints still could look to upgrade over Patrick Robinson as the No. 3 cornerback.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/46638/pre-draft-starting-lineup-saints
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here is how I see the New Orleans Saints' starting lineup as they head toward the NFL draft:

OFFENSE

WR Marques Colston

LT Charles Brown

LG Jahri Evans

C Brian De La Puente

RG Ben Grubbs

RT Zach Strief

TE Jimmy Graham

WR Lance Moore

QB Drew Brees

RB Pierre Thomas and/or Darren Sproles

FB Jed Collins

DEFENSE

DE Will Smith

DT Brodrick Bunkley

DE Cameron Jordan

OLB Victor Butler

ILB Curtis Lofton

ILB Jonathan Vilma

OLB Junior Galette or Martez Wilson

CB Keenan Lewis

CB Jabari Greer

FS Malcolm Jenkins

SS Roman Harper

Notes: Brown is not a sure thing at all at left tackle. The Saints may draft a left tackle or sign one later in free agency. The team has high hopes for Wilson and Galette, but still could look to add a pass-rushing linebacker. The starting cornerbacks are probably set, but the Saints still could look to upgrade over Patrick Robinson as the No. 3 cornerback.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/46638/pre-draft-starting-lineup-saints

i'm fine with the offense except brown at left tackle. the defense is where i have the most concern. the d-line is gonna be critical. while i think jordan will be the best in this system. i really would like to see how hicks does when he is in the game. the lb corps is straight. the safety position is what worries me. i think jenkins is ok but its his instincts and angles which gets him out of position most of the time. also on defense, they need to get back to fundamentals with tackling. wrap & tackle. too many times last year i've seen plays that could have resulted in a loss or minimal gain turn into first downs or big plays.
    i think we are a playoff team with sean on the sidelines. if he was here last year we win at least 4 games. just off of his halftime adjustments. brees tried to do too much and i think it mentally got to him.
    we gotta strike gold with the defense draft picks because while he have done so on offense on defense its been a different story. i think we should go de/lb, ot, dt, s and cb.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Robinson > Greer

He was getting beat on more plays but he was on the number 1 WR every game.

But he's a better second option then Greer. Plus he's always hurt.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    And ill take White over Greer.

Greer is always hurt.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    man i like P.Rob...and C.White seem to come along at the end of the season...

He's the only player on defense that can catch.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Since everybody dissing Geno Smith

Do yall think he can fall to the 3rd round?

Cuz i wouldn't mind the Saints taking a QB in the draft this year.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since everybody dissing Geno Smith

Do yall think he can fall to the 3rd round?

Cuz i wouldn't mind the Saints taking a QB in the draft this year.

if we had more picks i wouldn't it because we are gonna have to come to that day where we eventually draft one. and not later but sooner. drew is getting older and we're gonna have to get younger. with that said i wouldn't mind either if they took him but they better hit with them picks on defense though
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    We can trade back and pick up some extra picks.

EJ from FSU can maybe drop to the 3rd

If we was to get a QB I would rather for us to get him.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rolando McClain was released by Oakland, I think we should take a look at him, he can be a low budget pickup and he is a beast of a LB, he finally got all that off field stuff done and he can start fresh in N.O.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    Rolando McClain was released by Oakland, I think we should take a look at him, he can be a low budget pickup and he is a beast of a LB, he finally got all that off field stuff done and he can start fresh in N.O.

Yea, we need some size st ILB. He's good against the run.
  • caddo man
    Options

for cheap tho.................And his he really over that ? .
  • south4life
    Options

for cheap tho.................And his he really over that ? .

Exactly for cheap and yeah he over it, he did his time in jail for it, that's why he didn't play most of last year.
    He need to go somewhere different to get focused and be what he was at Bama.

• caddo man
    Options
    The New Orleans Saints added some veteran competition at tackle as former No. 2 overall pick tackle Jason Smith agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the Saints on Thursday. Smith spent last season with the Jets and New York released him in mid-February.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I know this had nothing to do with the team.

But

I had my son decked out in Saints gear today.

Another fan is always good to have.
  • caddo man
    Options

But

I had my son decked out too. My wife had my daughter decked out in Failcon gear.
  • Shizlansky
    Options

But

I had my son decked out too. My wife had my daughter decked out in Failcon gear.

So disrespectful
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    The Jets need to scoop up Ivory so we can get that second round pick.

Hate to see him go but it would be best for the team.

Plus we go more then enough runners

Thomas
    Mark
    Sproles
    Cadet.... To a lesser degree.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Saints Welcome the Start of the Offseason Program April 15, 2013 05:47 PM | NewOrleansSaints.com

The New Orleans Saints returned to the team's Metairie, La. facility on Monday to begin the club's off-season workout program. This portion of the program is focused primarily on strength and conditioning.

Many members of last year's squad were joined by several Saints newcomers after spending three and a half months away following the end of the regular season to begin the nine-week offseason conditioning program.

Saints QB and team captain Drew Brees smiled following his workout and stated, "I know that I have been looking forward to this day for three months."

"It's exciting to come back into the building and see everyone together and getting after it in the gym," said LB Curtis Lofton, who joined the Saints as an unrestricted free agent prior to the 2012 season from the Atlanta Falcons. "As we said to each other, 'this is it, it's the start of the 2013 season.' There are some things that feel different, certainly, and that's probably attributed to the fact that Coach Payton is here and that provides its own energy. We know that there is a lot of hard work in front of us and it's important to have the right frame of mind and come in here each and every day ready to work. It's great to be back around everyone."

Since the conclusion of the 2012 season, the Saints have added eight free agents to the mix, including four on the defensive side of the ball to work under new coordinator Rob Ryan.

These players looking to make an impact in the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment include LB Victor Butler, DT Kenyon Coleman, S Jim Leonhard and CB Keenan Lewis with QB Luke McCown, T Jason Smith, QB Seneca Wallace and TE Benjamin Watson joining the offense.

The 2013 NFL Draft will begin on Thursday, April 25th, with the first round, and continue through the weekend. The Saints hold five picks in this year's draft for the second consecutive year, including the 15th overall selection. The newest Saints following the NFL Draft will take part in the Rookie Camp in May.

WR Nick Toon, who spent his first regular season on the reserve/injured list, also said it was a good to be back in the building and focusing on getting prepared for the football activities.

"I'm super excited to be back," Toon stated. "Especially for a guy like me, who missed time due to an injury, it's been a long time away from the field. It feels great to be back around all my teammates and feel the energy in the building."

Later in the offseason, the team will host a full-squad minicamp in the beginning of June leading up to the final week of OTAs. The players will then have six weeks away from the facility prior to the start of training camp in late July.
  • caddo man
    Options
    The New Orleans Saints hold $1.6 million in salary cap space counting the contract for recently signed tackle Jason Smith, according to the NFLPA’s records. The total includes 50 contracts and doesn’t include the freshly signed contract for quarterback Seneca Wallace.
  • caddo man
    Options
    Here's the New Orleans Saints 2013 regular season schedule:

Sept. 8 - vs. Atlanta, noon (central)

Sept. 15 - at Tampa Bay, 3:05 p.m.

Sept. 22 - vs. Arizona, noon

Sept. 30 - vs. Miami, 7:40 p.m.

Oct. 6 - at Chicago, noon

Oct. 13 - at New England, 3:25 p.m.

Oct. 20 - Bye

Oct. 27 - vs. Buffalo, noon

Nov. 3 - at New York Jets, noon

Nov. 10 - vs. Dallas, 7:30

Nov. 17 - vs. San Francisco, 3:25 p.m.

Nov. 21 - at Atlanta, 7:25 p.m.

Dec. 2 - at Seattle, 7:40 p.m.

Dec. 8 - vs. Carolina, noon

Dec. 15 - at St. Louis, noon

Dec. 22 - at Carolina, noon

Dec. 29 - vs. Tampa Bay, noon
  • south4life
    Options
    Here's the New Orleans Saints 2013 regular season schedule:

Sept. 8 - vs. Atlanta, noon (central)

Sept. 15 - at Tampa Bay, 3:05 p.m.

Sept. 22 - vs. Arizona, noon

Sept. 30 - vs. Miami, 7:40 p.m.

Oct. 6 - at Chicago, noon

Oct. 13 - at New England, 3:25 p.m.

Oct. 20 - Bye

Oct. 27 - vs. Buffalo, noon

Nov. 3 - at New York Jets, noon

Nov. 10 - vs. Dallas, 7:30

Nov. 17 - vs. San Francisco, 3:25 p.m.

Nov. 21 - at Atlanta, 7:25 p.m.

Dec. 2 - at Seattle, 7:40 p.m.

Dec. 8 - vs. Carolina, noon

Dec. 15 - at St. Louis, noon

Dec. 22 - at Carolina, noon

Dec. 29 - vs. Tampa Bay, noon

We got Atlanta first game of the year, me and my cousin Chuck is going to be going back and forth with the ? talk lol
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    We gotta get that 4th round pick from the Jets instead of the 5th they wanna give.