Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is D. Millner that good?
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the Saints are going to keep that 15th pick they need draft one of those corners or take Jarvis Jones. I'm not sold on Barkevious Mingo regardless of how well he works out.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    If the Saints are going to keep that 15th pick they need draft one of those corners or take Jarvis Jones. I'm not sold on Barkevious Mingo regardless of how well he works out.

Jones spine worry me though.

And his footwork and lateral movement in coverages is not good at all.

I rather have Mingo cuz he could drop in coverages better.
  • ZydecoShawty
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Jones spine worry me though.

And his footwork and lateral movement in coverages is not good at all.

I rather have Mingo cuz he could drop in coverages better.

Rob Ryan don't drop his outside linebackers in coverage much, if even at all. He wants them to rush the passer, something Jarvis excels at while Mingo so far has proven that he is nothing more than a workout warrior. We have a player like Mingo already on the roster in Martez Wilson. No way in hell you can tell me Mingo is more of an accomplished pass rusher than Tez when Mingo ain't do ? at the college level to suggest that?
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    He drops one of his OLB. Can't send 5 every play.

And I'm sure J. Galette gon be the main OLB rushing.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    In

Bruh, how familiar are you with the 3-4?

• Shizlansky
    Options
    In

Bruh, how familiar are you with the 3-4?

very.

The down Linemen are rushing every play.

And the OLBs are rushers but can't send both of them every play cuz our back end ain't that good and our ILBs ain't great in coverages either.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Spencer last year with Dallas dropped in coverage a lot.

He was the other OLB opposite of Ware.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options

Spencer was tied with DeMarcus Ware for the team lead in sacks with 11, which means he rushed the passer just as many times as Ware did.

I get the impression that you think the defensive lineman in a 3-4 are the one's responsible for leading the team's pass rush like in a 4-3?

• Shizlansky
    Options

Spencer was tied with DeMarcus Ware for the team lead in sacks with 11, which means he rushed the passer just as many times as Ware did.

I get the impression that you think the defensive lineman in a 3-4 are the one's responsible for leading the team's pass rush like in a 4-3?

You being disrespectful about my football knowledge.

I'm in Dallas and seen a lot of games. He drops back a lot and that was one of the knocks on Ryan out here that he wasn't aggressive enough with Spencer.

Regardless of the sack numbers in was dropping back a lot. They said the number I can't remember.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options

You being disrespectful about my football knowledge.

I'm in Dallas and seen a lot of games. He drops back a lot and that was one of the knocks on Ryan out here that he wasn't aggressive enough with Spencer.

Regardless of the sack numbers in was dropping back a lot. They said the number I can't remember.

Not trying to be disrespectful dawg but you gotta ask the question of how can someone can always be in coverage and yet still be tied for the team lead in sacks with one of the best pass rushers in the league? Getting double digit sacks in a season already isn't an easy task so I refuse to believe Anthony Spencer is that efficient of a blitzing outside linebacker to pull that off?

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Ware was hurt all year with the shoulder. But trust me he was in coverages twice as much as Ware
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    man...Ivory is worth more than a 4th...i would at least ask for a 3rd. The Jets basically dont have anybody at RB worth a damn and Ivory could be a legitimate guy for them. He gotta be worth a 3rd. That would at least give the saints 2 3rd rounders and maybe they draft the QB from Tulane. I keep reading he would be a great study behind brees...any thoughts?

I heard some good things about the Tulane QB.
    I haven't watched no Tulane games this year though.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man...Ivory is worth more than a 4th...i would at least ask for a 3rd. The Jets basically dont have anybody at RB worth a damn and Ivory could be a legitimate guy for them. He gotta be worth a 3rd. That would at least give the saints 2 3rd rounders and maybe they draft the QB from Tulane. I keep reading he would be a great study behind brees...any thoughts?

I get what you're saying about Ivory but....I can see his injury history being a major factor on why they would only offer a 4th-5th for him. Last season was the most game he played at 12....The 2 seasons before he only played 6 each.

I think the best thing to do is wait till draft day to make the trade unless you can somehow get a 3rd rounder before hand which i doubt will happen.

Wait till draft day to see who dropped and who didn't. I like these scenarios from saintsnation.com

-- If the Jets don't see anyone at 13 they HAVE TO HAVE, they can slide back two spots, offer the Saints to move up 2 spots and throw in that 5th rounder, and the Saints are probably taking it. If the Jets do see someone they have to have at 13, they can elect not to trade that pick and instead give the Saints a 4th rounder for Ivory. It's a win/win for the Jets because they either get a guy they love at 13 and lose a 4th for Ivory, or they move down just two spots and hope the Saints settle for a 5th rounder thanks to the upward movement in the first.

-- If I'm the Saints I wait to see who is available at 13. If there's no value for them moving two spots up and they believe the guy they want will remain available two picks later, there's no reason to accept a 5th rounder. Pass on moving up and mandate the 4th round pick, which the Jets will probably relinquish to not lose out on Ivory who they clearly like a lot.

I do think the end game is Chris Ivory with the Jets via trade, but I don't see this game of chess ending until both teams know what will be available at that 13th pick. No one knows that now, but when the time comes that will give both front offices a lot of direction with which way to go. Frankly there is no point in making the trade before then because it would be stupid on both sides. Making a decision without all the information available to you is never wise practice. Now, I'm half hoping Star Lotulelei is available at 13 because then I make that trade to move up, take a 5th rounder for Ivory too, and never look back. The problem is I see the Jets at 13 saying, nah, here's a 4th rounder for Ivory, we'll take Lotulelei ourselves. We'll see how it plays out, but expect more clarity on this topic around the time the Jets are on the clock for the second time on Thursday (they also have the 9th pick overall).
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Austin, Mingo, Jones, and Star is all the players I would want us to take if their there when we pick.

The WR Hopkins is growing on me too.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Ivory is good as traded.

And I think we gon trade Thomas also.

I just don't see us keeping him.

Ingram
    Sproles
    Thomas
    Cadet (he seen playing time down the stretch especially in the passing game)

I don't think we gon have 4 players and I don't us putting Cadet on the P.S.

We need bodies for defense that's why I think Thomas should be traded.

I'll take a 6 or 7th round pick for Thomas.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    i still think a WR in the first round is too high of a pick for the saints...

Agreed, the Saints just put out the worst defense in the NFL and failed to run the ball with 5 running backs on the roster and that ? think the wide receiver position is the problem? When we already got two young receivers in Joe Morgan and Nick Toon who we still haven't even broke into the offense yet? The last thing we need is more people in an already crowded position.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Drafting one defensive player in the first round will not have a impact on the defense.

Defensive Scheme and S.P. coming back to call the plays will help our running game.

I'm not saying draft a WR. We do need a difference maker on offense.

Only big play threat we ever had was Meacham. And he's gon.

Colston and Moore is our only good WRs that can run routes. Morgan has speed but he's limited right now with route running ability.

Hopkins is a better route runner right now.

I'm saying trade back and pick up some more picks so we can a difference maker at WR or more defensive players instead of holding suit and drafting a player at our current pick.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I'm just glad we actually posting in this thread. Sometimes we go days .
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Draft in 2 days, Defense is the most need in the Draft, I hope we get some solid players in The Draft
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Sleeper pick in real late rounds is WR from Duke.

Dude catches everything
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    The real problem with the offense is we need to run the ball and get ALOT better doing it. Last season we threw the ball 671 times (2nd most attempts in the league) and ran the ball only 370 times (29th most attempts in the league). Look at the disparity to this ? ? With 5 running backs on the roster? Run the ? football!
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We're NOT taking WR at 15. It shouldnt even be mentioned anymore and I hope the FO isnt even considering it. This draft is about depth if he anything we should be trading back to get more picks, they'll always be a good WR on the board in the late rounds.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Sleeper pick in real late rounds is WR from Duke.

Dude catches everything

Conner Vernon: I'm not like Wes Welker or Eric Decker

How can a single player be compared to Denver Broncos wide receivers Wes Welker and Eric Decker when their skill sets aren't exactly similar? Conner Vernon says it's all about complexion.

"It's funny how, nowadays, you're just comparing race to race here," the Duke wide receiver recently told USA Today's Mike Garafolo. "Aside from my skin color, I don't see where they got that assumption."

Welker is a 5-foot-9, 185-pound slot receiver. Decker stands 6-3, 218 pounds and is a physical option on the outside. Vernon splits the difference at 6-0,196 pounds. He's not as big as Decker, but he doesn't have Welker's quickness.

This isn't a first. The quarterback position has gone through this for years.

Vernon finished his career as the Atlantic Coast Conference's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards. He'd love to be compared to Welker and Decker because of the numbers he puts up as player. Right now, Vernon just doesn't see it.

I was just talking bout this dude
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The real problem with the offense is we need to run the ball and get ALOT better doing it. Last season we threw the ball 671 times (2nd most attempts in the league) and ran the ball only 370 times (29th most attempts in the league). Look at the disparity to this ? ? With 5 running backs on the roster? Run the ? football!

I think the reason for throwing more was for two reasons, 1 so Drew Brees can make history and 2 because we did not have a steady coach, we had what three different assistants being the interim coach last year, there was no solid game plan but, with Sean Payton back we got that now.