The 2013 New Orleans Saints Off-season discussion thread

Options

Comments

• ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Roman is supposed be making like $7.5 million this season I believe? Sure hope we can still cut his ass so that money can go to Jimmy Graham. Ah well, bout to go watch some youtube footage of our new amigo.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $7.5 million. ? damn. not even worth that. that's another problem with us not hitting on the right defensive players in the draft was the contracts we've given to these defensive players.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    so what y'all think about the pick?

The games I seen was against some air it out teams and didn't impress.

But he's better then harper in coverage.

Much rather we got Jones.

But he's a Saint now so we gotta coach him up.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    SportsChick Mode:
    I like the the pick alot actually. Was hoping Star would fall to us but ? Panthers. I think Jones' health scared the Saints and you know what even though I would have liked him....I understand that. We can possibly FINALLY get rid of Harper! That aint nothing but a good thing.

RegularChick Mode:
    It don't hurt that Vaccaro also happens to be FINE AS HELL!! LOL.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Roman is supposed be making like $7.5 million this season I believe? Sure hope we can still cut his ass so that money can go to Jimmy Graham. Ah well, bout to go watch some youtube footage of our new amigo.

Don't watch the Baylor game
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »

First thing I notice already he can do better than our safeties....he finishes tackles. Has the intelligence to TURN HIS ? HEAD AROUND WHEN THE BALL IS IN THE AIR.

Some of those pass deflections and that last INT......those would have been TDs for the opp if that was Harper.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    The division is ours this year.

We back before the draft.

failcons lost two CB this off season and got Samuels and That nickel corner starting and a rookie. We gon eat in the passing game even more.

Carolina gives us trouble, Cam do him but they don't have enough to ? with us.

Bucs is trash and we ? them with ease.

And our defense only can get better. And this is predraft I'm talking.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Harper knows his time is coming to an end. Better take that pay cut. Or he will get cut. The dead money wouldn't matter cuz the season would he starting and we ain't gon be looking to pick a big money free agent.

Vilma needs to take a pay cut cuz nobody else gon look to sign him.

And we need Will Smith to take a cut also cuz he ain't gon find work no where else either.
  • jee504
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Harper knows his time is coming to an end. Better take that pay cut. Or he will get cut. The dead money wouldn't matter cuz the season would he starting and we ain't gon be looking to pick a big money free agent.

Vilma needs to take a pay cut cuz nobody else gon look to sign him.

And we need Will Smith to take a cut also cuz he ain't gon find work no where else either.

i thought smith and vilma took pay cuts that's why they were able to get under the cap before the deadline. i think they saved like $10 million between the two. will smith's base salary went from $9 million to $3 million. smith
    was scheduled to make around $13 million. something like that.

"Vilma had been scheduled to earn $4.8 million in base salary. After the restructuring, he’ll earn only $1 million in base pay. He also had his workout bonus increased from $100,000 to $200,000. Vilma originally had been scheduled to count $8.633 million against this year’s cap. His new cap figure is $3.833 million.

Smith’s cut was even deeper. He saw his base salary dropped from $9 million to $3 million. Smith’s cap figure initially was scheduled to be $13.9 million; his new cap figure is $8.502 million. The Saints did not alter Smith’s contract for 2014, when he’s scheduled to make $10.4 million in base salary and have a $13.9 million cap figure."
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    ? been under a rock for like 2 months. LOL!!
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I didn't hear ? bout Vilma and Smith taking cuts.

Did Harper take a cut?
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hey saints yall don't want harper no more? I think yall safetys were pretty good they just need help at the corner and front 7.

• jee504
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I didn't hear ? bout Vilma and Smith taking cuts.

Did Harper take a cut?

how do you think the saints got under the cap before the deadline. it was the cuts between smith and vilma and whatever other players that took minimal cuts.

• jee504
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    HELL NO...

im telling ya'll...harper gonna be used to play LB in certain sets...

if harper doesn't take a cut we're stuck with him either way. if we cut him, we take a hit of around $6 million or so leaving us with $1 million or so to play with.
    i was thinking the same thing about him being in LB on certain plays. have jenkins and vacarro in at safety and have harper line up around the line. use him as a pass rusher or drop him into coverage. not deep coverage though. lol

• ZydecoShawty
    Options
    hey saints yall don't want harper no more? I think yall safetys were pretty good they just need help at the corner and front 7.

I see you the type that only look at stats. Those ? blew coverages and missed open field tackles all year long. They were TERRIBLE last year regardless of how many tackles the stat sheet says they have.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options

I see you the type that only look at stats. Those ? blew coverages and missed open field tackles all year long. They were TERRIBLE last year regardless of how many tackles the stat sheet says they have.

He's not the type to look at stats either. ProFootballFocus had both Harper & Jenkins rated as the 87 & 88 out of 88 ? safties last year. I don't give a damn what the scheme is. If you are the 2 worst half of that is you not having the ability to play the position correctly in the first place.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well since its obvious that the FO either doesnt think we need a pass rush or believe we have the personel in place already, we probably grab a defensive tackle and then go offense happy in the late rounds. Unless, we find a way to negotiate more picks.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Gleson gon be making our pick.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Depth on the Oline I guess.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    Chris Ivory got traded to the Jets for a 4th round pick.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    That tackle we drafted from Ark-Pline Bluff is one the most athletic tackles in the draft. I hope his strength and footwork can transfer over to the Pros.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Chris Ivory got traded to the Jets for a 4th round pick.

Better then that 5th they offered us at first.

Good thing we waited.