The 2013 New Orleans Saints Off-season discussion thread

Options

Comments

• ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    The real problem with the offense is we need to run the ball and get ALOT better doing it. Last season we threw the ball 671 times (2nd most attempts in the league) and ran the ball only 370 times (29th most attempts in the league). Look at the disparity to this ? ? With 5 running backs on the roster? Run the ? football!

I think the reason for throwing more was for two reasons, 1 so Drew Brees can make history and 2 because we did not have a steady coach, we had what three different assistants being the interim coach last year, there was no solid game plan but, with Sean Payton back we got that now.

The attention to detail was definitely lacking on offense last season. At times Drew looked completely lost at pre-snap and didn't even know that the play-clock was running out. Add the fact that we couldn't run the ball consistently, all the dropped passes, the play-calling at times was head scratching, and how the defense couldn't stop anyone and ? just made it worse for Brees.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    The real problem with the offense is we need to run the ball and get ALOT better doing it. Last season we threw the ball 671 times (2nd most attempts in the league) and ran the ball only 370 times (29th most attempts in the league). Look at the disparity to this ? ? With 5 running backs on the roster? Run the ? football!

I think the reason for throwing more was for two reasons, 1 so Drew Brees can make history and 2 because we did not have a steady coach, we had what three different assistants being the interim coach last year, there was no solid game plan but, with Sean Payton back we got that now.

The attention to detail was definitely lacking on offense last season. At times Drew looked completely lost at pre-snap and didn't even know that the play-clock was running out. Add the fact that we couldn't run the ball consistently, all the dropped passes, the play-calling at times was head scratching, and how the defense couldn't stop anyone and ? just made it worse for Brees.

That's why I think we good this year, everything is back to normal with Sean Payton back.
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sad y'all ? ain't coming to Lambeau this year...always classic QB duels

good luck
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris Ivory isn't close to leaving New Orleans

Whether or not Chris Ivory winds up on the New York Jets (and we have our doubts), the New Orleans Saints would like nothing more than a bidding war to erupt over their fourth-string running back.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis confirmed to reporters Tuesday that he's spoken with teams about shopping Ivory before or during the 2013 NFL Draft, according to Larry Holder of The Times-Picayune. Loomis stressed that trade conversations have taken place with teams other than the Jets,but acknowledged that no deal was imminent.

Chalk it up to Loomis and the Saints attempting to drive up the price. A collection of Jets beat writers believe New York is willing to part ways with a fifth-round pick for Ivory. That deal makes plenty of sense for Gang Green, but as Around the League's Gregg Rosenthal pointed out, what's in it for the Saints?

Ivory is part of a crowded backfield in New Orleans, but the Saints could wait until another team is truly desperate before they part ways. Perhaps the Jets have already given off that scent.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    The Tulane QB ran the same offense as the Saints.

I forgot what coach, but he was on the Saints staff.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    The Tulane QB ran the same offense as the Saints.

I forgot what coach, but he was on the Saints staff.

Coach is Curtis Johnson I believe. Was the WRs coach for a long time then got the HC job at Tulane.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Reading a lengthy convo with Mickey Loomis.

Is there anybody off your board because of a medical issue?

"Yes."

All his other answers he went into detail.

I think he's talking bout Jarvis Jones.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jarvis my boy, him and my brother are friends and played against each other in high school.
    Jarvis was recruited heavy by Pete Carroll, he would come to Carver games and when my brother hung out with Jarvis all he wore was USC clothes but, when he got injured he even said that he was scared that he may not play again so, to see him do what he did the two years he was at UGA is a good sign, where ever he goes he will be a solid player.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    What I took from that interview is we going Rush LB, DLine, or CB.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    i saw a mock draft from Profootballtalk this morning that had the saints taking Xavier Rhodes from FSU

He kinda stiff to me.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I have this strong feeling its gonna be Jarvis Jones @ 15 and we trade Ivory for a 4th or 5th pick.......Either way i'm excited for tonight! I really think this draft will turn out more good players for us (especially on D) than the past years.

One thing I did remember seeing reading that interview with Loomis.....he said there were multiple teams besides the Jets that wanted to trade for Ivory. He said there hadn't been much talking after Jets made their trade offer but I think Loomis wants it that way not only to look at what will be available when it gets into that 10-15 pick range.....but to weigh the options and see if he cant get one of these other teams to make us a better offer.

Another scenario I was thinkin about to when it comes to Ivory. If we stick with what we got in the draft and go into the season with Ivory.....you never know...a team can have their RBs go down in training camp or during the season before the trade deadline, have no other options and give us some good value in the form of a solid D player or a few more picks in the next draft....
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    NuLa C.E.O.‏@JuniorG9324m
    Morning #WhoDatNation It's #DRAFTDAY Who Do U Guys Want To See Us #DRAFT In The 1ST ROUND? #WHODAT

NuLa C.E.O.‏@JuniorG9313m
    #Mingo Is Very Athletic Good Player Just don't understand the 4.5 Sacks As Everydown Guy #Jones Is A Flat out #BALLER

NuLa C.E.O.‏@JuniorG9311m
    Me @MartezWilson95 + #VictorB Are Going 2 Hold It Down 4 PassRush But U Can Never Have 2 Many Rushers #Jones Has My Vote

NuLa C.E.O.‏@JuniorG933m
    They talk bad about #Jones 40 #PaulKruger Ran 5.0 #JamesHarrison Ran 4.9 All about #GetOff and #HandViolence in #NFL

NuLa C.E.O.‏@JuniorG931m
    But Hey What Do I Know Last Time I checked There's Less Then 5 Pple in my Draft Class With More SACKS And I WASN'T #DRAFTED

Sounds like Junior Galette is a big fan of Jarvis Jones. He has just as many questions about Mingo's production as I do when Mingo is the superior athlete? Martez Wilson is a superior athlete but to this day people still question if he really knows how to play his position. Same thing can be said about Patrick Robinson who's also a superior athlete. All this athletic ability but the production you're expecting ain't there and when it is there it's not consistent.
  • ZydecoShawty
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Under the Payton era, Sedrick Ellis hands-down has to be the most disappointing of those picks while it's looking like Cameron Jordan will become the best of those picks. In my opinion, Cameron Jordan is currently the best player on our defense right now.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    saw something that said the saints have spent their first round pick on a defensive player on each of the last 6 seasons or something like that...lead the league...

thats not good

Thats what baffles me to no end. They can't evaluate defense in the 1st round for ? . Its like why even give us a 1st round pick. They should just let us chose to either take the 1st round pick or take 2 2rnd picks when the season is over and the order is determined. LOL

But for real tho I think this season we finally hit on one. Cam I think was a good pick because he's actually improved from his rookie yr. Lead the team in sacks and had at least 1 sack from each position on the DL. And with him moving back to his original position that he dominated at in college as a 3-4 DE....i think he's going to beast even more this season. Akeem Hicks too....

I'm telling you the young dudes on this team are the ones that need priority over the old guard. Especially guys that Junior, Martez, Hicks....hell even them young back up safteys that seem to actually know how to make on the ball while its in the air and cover. LOL.

One thing I like about Rob Ryan thats different from Spags & GW. He don't show favortism to the older starters that can't produce anymore. I think if we had Rob last yr....at the very least Ellis, P-Rob, Will Smith and maybe even Harper would be backups or on limited snaps.

Put it this way....Junior Galette had 5 sacks and only played 26% of the snaps the entire season........Will Smith got 6 sacks for the entire year as a starter.....

Let these young dudes get more snaps and I bet this defense get much better.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Jones injury history concern me to much.
  • ZydecoShawty
    edited April 2013
    Options
    In a pre-draft interview with WWL Joe Vitt said he is real high on Javis Jones calling him the most NFL ready pass rusher in the draft. Sounds like Jarvis is still on the draft board.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Jones is a beast though.

So if they say he good to go.

Draft him.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I'm low key mad Austin is not on our squad.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    If Star and Jones is gon before we pick.

I know we going WR.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Big Ups to the young man
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so who on the chopping block, harper or jenkins? lol
  • ZydecoShawty
    edited April 2013
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »

Gotta be Harper, Amigo a strong safety. No ? way we draft this guy with a 1st round pick just to sit him on the bench behind Harper and Jim Leonhard?

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Harper trash ass.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »

Gotta be Harper, Amigo a strong safety. No ? way we draft this guy with a 1st round pick just to sit him on the bench behind Harper and Jim Leonhard?
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Harper trash ass.

harper better be taking a pay cut then