The 2013 New Orleans Saints Off-season discussion thread

Options

Comments

• PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remember Ryan Griffin yall.... This dude been working out with Brees during the offseasons since the lockout. He runs the exact same offense as the Saints do because of Curtis Johnson. None of that spread like the rest of the college QBs do. And he had a big stretch of games last year where he was throwing for 400+ a game....IDGAF if it was against CUSA competition 400+ a game is hard to do.

I think he can beat out both those other QBs for the backup spot because he already knows the offense and can run it without having to learn everything on the fly.

Man I wish I could come down and go to a couple of the open practices. My grandma drove my great grandpa down from Alexandria to a practice like season before last and said it was hot as hell but they had fun and the players were really nice afterward. She had me dyin talkin bout "That lil bitty one was fast as hell!" (talkin bout Sproles LOL). The only ones my grandma know by name is Brees & Payton. LOL.

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What free agents out there is worth signing though?
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I think we should pick up Richard Seymour.

He would be instantly the starter opposite Jordan at DE.

He's been in a 3-4 all his playing career and a better option then who ever else on the team cuz he actually played the position.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

He's been in a 3-4 all his playing career and a better option then who ever else on the team cuz he actually played the position.

They have some rotation right now. They want to see what it looks like before they start picking up some vets. He would be a good pick up also.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

They have some rotation right now. They want to see what it looks like before they start picking up some vets. He would be a good pick up also.

Or get Dansby to play ILB next to Lofton, cuz we don't have another ILB that fits the scheme.
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard Tim Tebow wants to come over
  • caddo man
    Options
    I heard Tim Tebow wants to come over

Unless he wants to be special teams guy, it aint happening!
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Shizlansky wrote:
    Or get Dansby to play ILB next to Lofton, cuz we don't have another ILB that fits the scheme.

I thought the objective after putting out the worst defense in the history of the NFL was to get younger and not older?
  • PaperPlaneJane
    edited May 2013
    Options

Shizlansky wrote:

I thought the objective after putting out the worst defense in the history of the NFL was to get younger and not older?

Thank u...thats our biggest problem not letting the younger more talented guys play. Showin favortism to the guys that was on the SB defense....thats one of the 1 things (besides the multiple rings) that seperates Payton from Belichiek. Belichiek gives 2 ? about what you did for the team, or your lockerroom presence and leadership...if you aint producing you gone....? yo feelings. LOL.

But I think Payton, sitting at home watching this defense from home and truly seeing how bad they are, sees that now. Thats why he's made it clear that EVERY position on defense is basically an open competion. And Rob Ryan is gonna be good helping this D rebuild. He brings that same attitude as GW...BUT he will sit down if you ? up. Your spot is not locked down just because you helped win a SB 4-5 yrs ago.

This is one of the biggest problems I have with keeping Smith & Vilma. Just cut em. Niether one is good enough to be starting. And if i see one more redneck idiot on B&G.com or SaintsReport say Vilma and Lofton will start at ILB I'ma scream. I really think they need to let Lofton run that defense and stop undermining him with bringing Vilma in all the time. You brought Lofton in to take over and be the leader of the D...let him do that. If Vilma wants to stay...make him a coach or something but let Lofton take the reins on the field.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I would agree with you if you were right.

When the Pats actually won Superbowls everybody on their defense was vets. No youngins.

Just like the Ravens last year.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    edited May 2013
    Options

When the Pats actually won Superbowls everybody on their defense was vets. No youngins.

Thats what I'm tryin to say tho...once they got too old after them 3 SBs he let them go...they didn't linger around and bring the team down because they were unproductive. And even guys like Seymore that was still productive he cut...why..because even though he was still good... he took up too much cap space. He just started from scratch and started drafting and picking up young talent.

And even though they've had struggles on D....they've been good enough to get back to 2 SBs since they let the Vets go. Its all about maintaining the success....thats why I hope this is the start of good drafting on the defensive side of the ball. And I like the fact that they didn't do like they usually do and trade future picks. This is the first time since the Payton era that their going into the new season with ALL of their draft picks for the upcoming draft.
  • Shizlansky
    Options

He's done that on both sides of the ball for years tho...not just the D that won all the SBs.

Their offense was average as they come when they won. And defense was top 5
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options

He's done that on both sides of the ball for years tho...not just the D that won all the SBs.

Their offense was average as they come when they won. And defense was top 5

OK....and like I said he still cut them. Thats all I'm saying...there was no sentiment...no favoritism. He kept the D as long as they produced... then cut them when they didn't or got too expensive.

• jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New Orleans Saints draft picks contract numbers are in, according to report

The four-year contract of New Orleans Saints rookie first-round pick Kenny Vaccaro will be fully guaranteed, according to a report by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas.

The total value of the contract for Vaccaro, a safety from the University of Texas who was the 15th overall pick, is $9,424,704 and included a signing bonus of $5,234,328, according to the report.

Vaccaro's first-year salary will be $405,000 and his cap figure will be $1,713,582.

His 2014 base salary will be $833,396 and his cap figure will be $2.141 million. In 2015, Vaccaro's base salary rises to $1,261,792 and his cap figure will be $2,570,374. In 2016, his base salary will be $1,690,188 and his cap figure will be $2,998,770.

ESPN.com also reported the contract numbers of the four other Saints' draft picks.

-- Third-round pick Terron Armstead signed a four-year, $2.86 million deal, including a $617,436 signing bonus.

-- Third-round pick John Jenkins, the second of the Saints' two draft picks in that round, inked a four-year, $2.79 million deal, including a $567,560 signing bonus.

-- Fifth-round pick Kenny Stills, received a four-year, $2.35 million deal, including a $194,452 signing bonus.

-- Sixth-round pick Rufus Johnson signed a four-year, $2.26 million contract, including a $105,308 signing bonus.

After the signings of the draft picks, the Saints, who announced several roster moves on Monday morning involving players from this past weekend's rookie minicamp, have just less than $400,000 in cap space.

Glad they got that rookie scale in. No more overpaying for players at those outstanding amounts like before.
  • caddo man
    Options
    Saints sign six rookie free agents, cut three players

Baton Rouge native Korey Lindsey, a former Scotlandville High School standout, was among six players signed by the Saints on Monday following the team's three-day minicamp over the weekend.

Lindsey, a 5-foot-10, 194-pound cornerback, participated in the Saints' rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. He was signed along with wide receiver Brent Leonard, kicker Jose Maltos, defensive end Baraka Atkins, running back Khiry Robinson and guard Jeremiah Warren.

A seventh-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2011, Lindsey, 24, has been on the active roster of the Indianapolis Colts and Arizona Cardinals for parts of the past two seasons. He's also spent time on the practice squad of three teams, including the Cardinals.

A two-time all-district pick at Scotlandville High, Lindsey played in 50 games at Southern Illinois with 36 starts and finished with 14 interceptions, which ranks third in school history. He was a first-team FCS All-American selection in both his junior and senior years.

Leonard, 6-2 and 186 pounds, also has Louisiana ties as he played his college ball at UL-Monroe. The former walk-on was the Warhawks' leading receiver last season with 104 catches for 1,118 yards and 10 TDs and is the school's all-time leader with 209 receptions.

A native of Keller, Texas, Leonard cancelled a scheduled workout with the Dallas Cowboys to accept a tryout invite from the Saints.

The Saints also announced that they waived running back Shawne Alston, cornerback Ryan Lacy and center Ryan Lee. Alston and Lacy were rookie free agents who signed with the Saints after the draft last month.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    Saints sign six rookie free agents, cut three players

Baton Rouge native Korey Lindsey, a former Scotlandville High School standout, was among six players signed by the Saints on Monday following the team's three-day minicamp over the weekend.

Lindsey, a 5-foot-10, 194-pound cornerback, participated in the Saints' rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. He was signed along with wide receiver Brent Leonard, kicker Jose Maltos, defensive end Baraka Atkins, running back Khiry Robinson and guard Jeremiah Warren.

A seventh-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2011, Lindsey, 24, has been on the active roster of the Indianapolis Colts and Arizona Cardinals for parts of the past two seasons. He's also spent time on the practice squad of three teams, including the Cardinals.

A two-time all-district pick at Scotlandville High, Lindsey played in 50 games at Southern Illinois with 36 starts and finished with 14 interceptions, which ranks third in school history. He was a first-team FCS All-American selection in both his junior and senior years.

Leonard, 6-2 and 186 pounds, also has Louisiana ties as he played his college ball at UL-Monroe. The former walk-on was the Warhawks' leading receiver last season with 104 catches for 1,118 yards and 10 TDs and is the school's all-time leader with 209 receptions.

A native of Keller, Texas, Leonard cancelled a scheduled workout with the Dallas Cowboys to accept a tryout invite from the Saints.

The Saints also announced that they waived running back Shawne Alston, cornerback Ryan Lacy and center Ryan Lee. Alston and Lacy were rookie free agents who signed with the Saints after the draft last month.

LOL. He from Texas and was like...shiiiiiiiitttt....? them Cowboys!

• Rollin_Thunda
    Rollin_Thunda Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Options

LOL. He from Texas and was like...shiiiiiiiitttt....? them Cowboys!

Brees>>>>>>>Romo

I watched every game of Brent's for the last 2 years(ULM alum) and he is legit. Everybody knocked him for his lack of speed but his route running and hands are well above average.

He reminded me of a Joe Jurevicius/Rickey Prohel type.

Bottom line is dude knows how to get open, catch it, and get what you need after that. I hope he has a very successful and productive career with the Saints.
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    New Orleans Saints will shift defensive end Will Smith to outside linebacker when OTAs open Tuesday

The New Orleans Saints may be thinking a little outside the box while building their 3-4 defense inside the box as veteran defensive end Will Smith will open up Organized Team Activities on Tuesday at outside linebacker.

Saints Coach Sean Payton and General Manager Mickey Loomis each confirmed Smith's shift Monday morning at the Saints Hall of Fame Golf Classic at Chateau Golf and Country Club in Kenner.

"Look, Will's a really good football player," Loomis said. "We'll find a place for Will to be playing, but I think ideally it would be outside linebacker. I think that's where we see him and that's where he'll start out in camp. And look, I expect the same things that we've gotten out of him that we've gotten in the past which is really a high level of play."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/05/new_orleans_saints_will_shift.html

Welp, it's official and I'll be highly surprised if this guy makes the final 53.
  • caddo man
    Options
    I read that. I am so surprised they want to do this. Keep him on the line. They will switch him back.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    He'll be a rotational DE by week 1 or cut if they insist on kepin him at OLB.....

Also if you notice in these interviews....they askin Payton & Loomis.....not one of these interviews are with Rob Ryan the one thats actually gone coach the defense...
  • caddo man
    Options
    The New Orleans Saints have waived defensive end Greg Romeus, the team announced on Thursday afternoon. Romeus was a former seventh round draft pick out of Pittsburgh in 2011.

Romeus did not take any snaps with the Saints during his first two seasons while recovering from a pair of knee injuries. He tore his right ACL as a senior at Pittsburgh, while also being hampered by a back injury.

He was a potential early pick in the 2010 NFL draft after being named the Big East co-defensive player of the year in 2009. But after returning for his senior season, he had to have surgery for back pain.

He missed the first half of the season and tore his ACL upon his return.

Romeus wasn't far enough along in his rehabilitation by the end of training camp in 2011, and spent the season on injured reserve.

The Saints raved about his potential last year, but Romeus tore his left MCL and ACL in during the 2012 offseason. Because the injury was expected to take at least 6-8 months of recovery, he was waived and then placed on injured reserve.

Romeus was at practice on Thursday morning and took part in individual drills but wasn't seen participating in team drills.

The 6-5, 267 pound Romeus played in 40 games (28 starts) in college. He had 142 tackles (38.5 for loss), 19.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, one interception, 12 passes defended and four blocked kicks during his time with the Panthers.

He was worth the risk being a seventh round pick but two years later and you still hurt. Bye bro.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    Same thing with Braylon Broughton too they released. Dude tried to get on with the Lions and couldn't pass the physical....
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    Roman Harper signed and 1y extension giving us cap room no word on how much yet tho...
  • caddo man
    Options
    Roman Harper signed and 1y extension giving us cap room no word on how much yet tho...

Just read it. http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/05/new_orleans_saints_safety_roma_14.html#incart_river

Rob Ryan should have a field day moving guys around. They are a hodge-podge group though.