The official Gun/Firearm discussion/appreciation thread

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    i think i figured out what my next jammie is..

20140527-094849.jpg
    i think the price tag on the MPX is a little crazy right now. but if you like it...
    that said, consider looking into the CZ Scorpion Evo 3.

i think my next project is a 9mm AR, so i guess i am going in a little different direction with the whole 9mm thing.

• iNeverCould
    iNeverCould Members Posts: 60
    Options
    Me favorite gun brand is s&w!
  • iNeverCould
    Options
    Me favorite gun brand is s&w!

Yeah? Whatchu shooting?

Shot a 22 only. Long while back. Underrated gun IMO. But S&W (both their revolver kind and semi auto kind) has more appeal to me.
  • iNeverCould
    Options
    O, I shot at beer cans out in desert in AZ. Did swell for 1st time.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What are some good hollow tip or bullets for bag guys? I bought some Hornady Critical Defense bullets. I'm not gonna be plinking with them. They ain't cheap!
  • janklow
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    What are some good hollow tip or bullets for bag guys? I bought some Hornady Critical Defense bullets. I'm not gonna be plinking with them. They ain't cheap!
    well...
    "personally, i like Federal HST; Speer Gold Dots are right up there as well. there's a couple of other good options out there (Winchester Ranger-T), but those will get the job done."

the tough part is that you need a little range time with your HD rounds, but at the same time, i feel you, the $$$ is too dear for target practice
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I did shoot some of them and I actually shot better with them than the cheap ass blazer brass ones I had.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    My cell doesn't scroll up so I couldn't see
  • janklow
    Options
    I did shoot some of them and I actually shot better with them than the cheap ass blazer brass ones I had.
    better ammo should shoot better. it can just be depressing to shoot pricy ammo sometimes.
    ...and this is why my .308 rifles get no regular love.
    My cell doesn't scroll up so I couldn't see
    hah, i just quoted myself without realizing i had replied to you the first time.
  • janklow
    Options
    I'm going to sign up for the first of six tactical training modules within the next 2 weeks ago. Should be fun.
    good deal
    and a most excellent target
  • Will Munny
    Options
    @janklow school me on what the +P and +P+ stuff means. I know it had something to do with chamber pressure but I have no idea.
  • janklow
    Options
    @janklow school me on what the +P and +P+ stuff means. I know it had something to do with chamber pressure but I have no idea.
    in real world terms, the main thing is making sure you have a gun that's rated to fire it. basically, it's like this:

-standard pressure ammo: SAAMI-defined standard pressure cartridges
    -+P: about +10% pressure, should fire safely in a standard gun, delivers x% better velocity
    -+P+: somewhat more pressure than +P, less than proof
    -proof rounds: your gun was designed to fire this and not explode and ? you, but only for testing purposes

anyway, +P is designed to give you more velocity so you can drive expanding/hollow-point/whatever ammunition deeper into your adversary... but at the cost of more recoil and more wear and tear on your gun. obviously, if you want to shoot it, you'll want to practice... but don't plink with it.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just picked up one of these yesterday on my lunch break glock19gen4.jpg
  • Will Munny
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    in real world terms, the main thing is making sure you have a gun that's rated to fire it. basically, it's like this:

-standard pressure ammo: SAAMI-defined standard pressure cartridges
    -+P: about +10% pressure, should fire safely in a standard gun, delivers x% better velocity
    -+P+: somewhat more pressure than +P, less than proof
    -proof rounds: your gun was designed to fire this and not explode and ? you, but only for testing purposes

anyway, +P is designed to give you more velocity so you can drive expanding/hollow-point/whatever ammunition deeper into your adversary... but at the cost of more recoil and more wear and tear on your gun. obviously, if you want to shoot it, you'll want to practice... but don't plink with it.

The magnum research website says I shouldn't use +P with my gun, but I already had some bought so I went through then. It was Hornady critical duty and try went through my gun fine, and the recoil was unnoticeable.

I have some standar federal hydra shock 124 grain I'll shoot and if it shoots fine I'll probably just stick with that.

I'm getting dialed in tho. I'm really starting to notice how tight i grip the gun. Like too tight or too loose and I'm gonna send fliers.
  • janklow
    Options
    just picked up one of these yesterday on my lunch break glock19gen4.jpg
    well... i burn with no great love for Glocks, but i hope it treats you right
    The magnum research website says I shouldn't use +P with my gun, but I already had some bought so I went through then. It was Hornady critical duty and try went through my gun fine, and the recoil was unnoticeable.
    yeah, unless your gun is ? , you should be safe to run it; you just may see increased wear and it may void your warranty (likely if the website says that). but you're also talking about a gun in current production, so if you wanted to be REALLY paranoid about it, just double up on spare parts.
    I have some standar federal hydra shock 124 grain I'll shoot and if it shoots fine I'll probably just stick with that.
    i do really like the Federal Hydra-Shok/HST. then again, i have had a little more time with it in my life, so i admit my bias.
    I'm getting dialed in tho. I'm really starting to notice how tight i grip the gun. Like too tight or too loose and I'm gonna send fliers.
    good deal
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    took the first dynamic shooting module. signing up for the 2nd one next week. its mastering the draw.

during the class, i realized how hard it is to safely & quickly draw and shoot from the holster. since, ive been doing draw drills and getting better.

and....i've come to the conclusion that my next purchase will be a Glock 43. It's gonna be my backup pistol.

then imma cop the Sig MPX-P for Christmas.
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »
    took the first dynamic shooting module. signing up for the 2nd one next week. its mastering the draw.

during the class, i realized how hard it is to safely & quickly draw and shoot from the holster. since, ive been doing draw drills and getting better.

and....i've come to the conclusion that my next purchase will be a Glock 43. It's gonna be my backup pistol.

then imma cop the Sig MPX-P for Christmas.

and whenever the Sig P320C-Romeo comes out, im getting that.
  • janklow
    Options
    whenever i browse for firearms, i always say things like "oh, i wonder if i should get X or Y small pistol"
    ...and then i remember this state is a cruel mistress

•  i ro ny
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    whenever i browse for firearms, i always say things like "oh, i wonder if i should get X or Y small pistol"
    ...and then i remember this state is a cruel mistress

the 43 only holds 6+1
  • janklow
    edited July 2015
    Options
    the 43 only holds 6+1
    it's not a capacity issue; it's an ability to carry issue
    if not... i mean, i do have some options currently but i probably would have bought a Nano to support the (currently) local business
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aight so I went to my local gun store to get a holster but ended up looking at some rifles. Came across a scar-l .308 caliber nice ass gun but that price steep like 3,000$ . Was talking to the guy and Was telling him I have an ar-15 .223\556 he was saying get a .308 on a ar platform cause the memory muscle, cheek wield. I'm like yea but I want that scar.

My question which would be better the scar-l or the scar-h? Both can be used for long range more so the scar h.

What yall think?
  • janklow
    Options
    Aight so I went to my local gun store to get a holster but ended up looking at some rifles. Came across a scar-l .308 caliber nice ass gun but that price steep like 3,000$ . Was talking to the guy and Was telling him I have an ar-15 .223\556 he was saying get a .308 on a ar platform cause the memory muscle, cheek wield. I'm like yea but I want that scar.

My question which would be better the scar-l or the scar-h? Both can be used for long range more so the scar h.

What yall think?
    okay, so let me just say that he's absolutely right about going the AR-10 route if you want to NOT pay $3000. you might be able to beat that price if you shop around but the SCARs still carry a premium price tag because guys flog them as guns that special operators love or some ? .
    i'm a little biased because here we have lightly-neutered SCARs (my state now bans have more than 2 "assault features") and my second-hand HSLD operator info on SCARs was "meh" but that's just me.

ANYWAY

the question is, what are you going to do with it? i never end up shooting .308s (i have a few of various types, but no SCARs) because .308 is costly and i don't shoot great distances. so if you're doing shorter-range plinking or don't want to eat the cost, i would go SCAR-L. it doesn't bother me to have piles of rifles in the same caliber, though i know some people would go "well, i have a .223 AR-15 right now, so now i need a .308."

if you don't have a .308 anything and really want one, and the SCAR speaks to you... SCAR-H. if you want to shoot greater distances... SCAR-H. but i would give some nicer AR-10s a look too (i have a colleague who's really into LWRC REPRs), maybe some other options, in case there's a little impulse at work.

• Will Munny
    Options
    Chris Jericho put these muthafuckas in the lion tamer.
    1i0mjk.jpg
  •  i ro ny
    Options

thats cruel lol
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I think you mean funny.