The official Gun/Firearm discussion/appreciation thread

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    shoots great man. this was my first time shooting since that 4th of july weekend that mcnair got killed; first 2 clips
    between the P320 and the VP9, it seems like handgun manufacturers who could sell based on their name have decided to give us quality pistols at good prices.

*waves tiny German and American flags*
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a question. I'm a gun enthusiast but still a novice and relatively new gun owner, so I need some advice about cleaning guns. So is it better to clean you own gun, or to take it to a gun shop to get cleaned?

I'm guessing that it depends, so here's a bit more information: I have a Glock 19 but, for various reasons, haven't used it in many many many months. I found online instructions on how to clean your gun, and I've found out that it costs between $10-$35/time to get your gun at a shop.

I just don't want to risk ? up my gun if I clean it myself, but I don't know how big the risk is. Do you all clean your guns? Is it as easy as it looks? Do you even have to clean your gun regularly?
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I have a question. I'm a gun enthusiast but still a novice and relatively new gun owner, so I need some advice about cleaning guns. So is it better to clean you own gun, or to take it to a gun shop to get cleaned?

I'm guessing that it depends, so here's a bit more information: I have a Glock 19 but, for various reasons, haven't used it in many many many months. I found online instructions on how to clean your gun, and I've found out that it costs between $10-$35/time to get your gun at a shop.

I just don't want to risk ? up my gun if I clean it myself, but I don't know how big the risk is. Do you all clean your guns? Is it as easy as it looks? Do you even have to clean your gun regularly?

Not going to ? up your firearm by cleaning it. You have to be a very special ial kind of stupid to mess it up. the only risk you have is since I'm assuming you never took one apart is making sure when you take it apart and put it back together you put it back as it shud be and making sure you don't lose any parts. Firing pins are very very small and very very expensive to. Better to learn then have to pay a fee. And yes you regularly have to clean at least after you taken it to the range all that build up could cause it to jam and at worse case and once in a blue moon rare cause it to backfire
  • janklow
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    if you take your Glock 19 to a shop and pay someone to clean it, i will use the internet to find out where you live and come to your house and slap you.

seriously, though, cleaning your gun (in a basic sense, you don't need to strip it all the way down), is, as Jackal notes, easy and hard to ? up. i've stripped and cleaned Glocks dozens of times (including like 3 different Glock 19s) and i have never owned one. you ALSO want to clean it yourself because:
    a. you'll want to be able to maintain it in circumstances where you CAN'T hire the work done;
    b. it'll let you get a feel for the gun's parts and function;
    c. it'll let you recognize issues with parts that are not apparent immediately if you're handing it to someone else to clean for you.

i clean all my guns after i shoot (although i don't go back and re-clean after a period of time like some people do), but that's just how i was raised. if you don't shoot corrosive ammo you can afford to be a little lazier, but still. it's as easy as it looks when you're talking about your Glock 19; i have some things i can think of being harder (? YOU, CETME), but the catch is that what makes it easier is stripping your gun and cleaning your gun.

final note: if this is a gun you use for home defense/carry, then you're going to want to know your gun is clean and functioning in an emergency.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got my baby desert eagle today finally.

It's the full frame half polymer model. It is heavy but it doesn't feel super heavy. I don't think I would like it as a conceal and carry gun because the position of the safety is kind of unnatural for my hand at least. Unless I wanted to carry with the safety off.

I'll shoot it this weekend sometime if I don't get a chance to this week. Grown man work hours and city traffic is going to ? me.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I grew hunting I always keep a safety on until shoulder my gun basically. Maybe someday I'll take a conceal and carry course.
  • janklow
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Got my baby desert eagle today finally.
    It's the full frame half polymer model. It is heavy but it doesn't feel super heavy.
    excellent
    mine's older so it's all metal but, TBH, i like a full-sized metal handgun if it's basically a range toy. this concept was accidentally violated once and i always regret it.

• banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Glocks are the easiest to clean had a glock 21 short frame sold it and picked up a Springfield xd sub compact 40. I purchased a universal gun cleaning kit included oil, rods and wire brushes for like 20$. Try like sportsman warehouse or other outdoor sport spots for cleaning. Also you tube can help with cleaning as well
  • janklow
    Options
    Glocks are the easiest to clean
    call me nuts, but i feel like i can strip and clean a SIG a lot faster. but then again, i actually own SIGs, so...
  • Will Munny
    Options
    ? I got gun fever. I wanna buy a conceal and carry pistol now. Probz a single stack of some kind that's really small.

I also wanna buy an AR.

I also wanna buy 7mm-Rem Mag because I have an elk hunting fantasy.
  • janklow
    Options
    I also wanna buy an AR.
    honestly, everyone with a gun collection ought to have an AR. even if there's some semi-auto rifle they like better.
    if i were gonna get a single-stack joint, id get that glock 43.
    not up on them because, you know, GLOCK, but do they have teething issues like the 42s did?

• janklow
    Options
    i've yet to shoot a glock. i plan to shoot a couple here soon, namely the 43 and the 26.
    they're generally reliable but they have never captured my heart. i mean... i own a couple of guns and yet a GLOCK has never made its way into my safe.

but people seem to love them for carry so there's that.
  • janklow
    Options
    I didn't like the way the Glock felt in my hand. I think it had something to do with the way the grip was.
    never been a fan of them myself. but this is also why choosing between reliable semi-autos is heavily personal preference based.

unrelated note: top-notch comfortable handgun grips include HK VP9s and Steyr M9s/M40s
  • janklow
    Options
    Also on an unrelated side note,what I'm finding is that there aren't many guns with ambidextrous slide stop levers...
    likely true
    but as a right-handed guy, i think it all works out

• banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some head shots.

bJeRnXL.jpg

How far away?
  • janklow
    Options
    About 10-15 feet. I dunno why I keep writing yards.
    force of habit, most likely, especially if you're used to shooting longer-range stuff
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I'm getting dialed in with my baby desert eagle. way better than when I first started but I have a lot of practicing still. I still send fliers way off mark and have no idea why lol. ? is fascinating. So much different than rifle shooting or shot gunning.

Whats some good ammo to keep around in case I actually have to use it on a bad guy? So far I've just been shooting cheap as hell range ammo.
  • janklow
    Options
    Whats some good ammo to keep around in case I actually have to use it on a bad guy? So far I've just been shooting cheap as hell range ammo.
    personally, i like Federal HST; Speer Gold Dots are right up there as well. there's a couple of other good options out there (Winchester Ranger-T), but those will get the job done.

• Will Munny
    Options
    I just bought a box of Fiocchi cheap as hell FMJ's tonight for no reason
  • Will Munny
    Options
    This is from about 15 yards.
    2qlzytw.jpg
  • janklow
    Options
    I just bought a box of Fiocchi cheap as hell FMJ's tonight for no reason
    Fiocchi and S&B are generally good brands you can get a price on. no shame there.
    FMJ is not necessarily want you want for those bad guys, though

• Will Munny
    Options
    Yah I kinda figured that, and after researching a bit online the JHPs are better for killing bad guys and for obvious reasons.

I ? with Fiocchi tho, I buy their shotgun shells for bird hunting in bulk.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    props on this thread im a newbie to owning guns. about to go cop a pistol and a couple rifles too.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    props on this thread im a newbie to owning guns. about to go cop a pistol and a couple rifles too.

what you looking at getting?

not even sure fam im heading to the range this weekend to see what i like in a pistol. i def want an AR though
  • janklow
    Options
    I ? with Fiocchi tho, I buy their shotgun shells for bird hunting in bulk.
    no, i really do like Fiocchi. Fiocchi and S&B (and, okay, Wolf) are the majority of my bulk ammo buying.
    not even sure fam im heading to the range this weekend to see what i like in a pistol. i def want an AR though
    i think someone in this thread pointed out that "honestly, everyone with a gun collection ought to have an AR. even if there's some semi-auto rifle they like better."