The official Gun/Firearm discussion/appreciation thread

Options

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I approve and praise this thread. Not sure why one wasn't up before.

I just do not understand how some people can approach the topic of guns with so much emotion, fear, and ignorance and so little logic, resolve, and knowledge. Drives me crazy.

Anyway, I am lucky to be where I am at now. It seems like Philly (though by way of PA) is the only big city in the Northeast that actually has some kind of reasonable and constitutional gun law system. I'd like to add that D.C. has strict gun laws yet still finds the time to consistently make the top 20 murder rate capital list. And it's a fallacy to say that NYC's strict gun laws (and stop and frisk) caused the murder/crime rate to hit all-time lows. Philly has its own problems, but guns are NOT at the root. That kind of thinking is short-sighted imo.

I'm going to make a thread about students' gun rights when I'm not busy. Gun owners at the college level get NO respect. Private universities and off-campus housing have the right to ban guns on their property (private property laws) if they want to, but public/state property in states that respect gun ownership shouldn't have that right. Nor should gun owners be stigmatized and intimidated with school expulsion just because they happen to exercise their constitutional and state laws.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    It seems like Philly (though by way of PA) is the only big city in the Northeast that actually has some kind of reasonable and constitutional gun law system.
    give it time; your current PA attorney general is notably anti-gun and has designs on higher office.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ Word? Ugh. The sad thing is that he might not even really believe in what he's doing. Might just be riding this current yet dying bandwagon (just like the bandwagon after Columbine) to get some votes. When you have grown-ass 40, 50, 60 year old politicians who are taking the same, naive position on the gun debate that a 15 year old would take and you know full well that these politicians should know better, it gets you thinking.
  • janklow
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    ^^^ Word? Ugh. The sad thing is that he might not even really believe in what he's doing.
    she, actually.

my understanding (i am not from PA) was that she ran at a favorable time for her election and so was able to skate in with a more anti-gun outlook than is normal in PA. i don't recall it being much of an issue during said election.
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and the horseshit increase....

http://www.wivb.com/news/local/traffic-stop-leads-to-safe-act-arrest

Traffic stop leads to SAFE Act arrest

LOCKPORT, N.Y. (WIVB) - Lockport Police are coming under fire, following the arrest of a gun owner. Lockport Police made an arrest this weekend, when a man had too many bullets in his pistol clip. Police admit there are even some city employees not happy the man was arrested.

“It's not the kind of history I want to make. You know what I mean? But hopefully we can change some things,” said Paul Wojdan, who is facing misdemeanor Safe Act Violation.

Paul Wojdan pleaded not guilty Wednesday morning for violating the controversial New York Safe Act. Lockport Police say this was their first arrest under the Safe Act.

According to the arrest report, Wojdan was the passenger of his girlfriend's car when she was stopped for speeding on Transit Road Sunday morning.

During the stop, Wojdan told the officer his pistol, which he does have a legal permit for, was in the glove box. Police say Wojdan had 10 bullets in the magazine. The new law says only seven bullets are allowed.

Wojdan said, “It's our right to bare arms. It shouldn't be a 10-round limit. My magazine should have held 17. But they have taken away our rights and, they're trying to take away more day by day and I'm tired of it.”

Wojdan was charged with a misdemeanor. But since his arrest became public, many have lashed out at the Lockport City Police over the polarizing issue.

Lockport Police Department Captain Michael Niethe said, “We're hearing that there's some chatter on Facebook and other media outlets, but we're not too concerned about that.”

Niethe said, “We're aware that there's people who are not in favor of this law and there's probably some people in this building that are not in favor of this law, but it's the law of the land and we're going to enforce it.”

Copyright WIVB.com
  • janklow
    Options
    “It's not the kind of history I want to make. You know what I mean? But hopefully we can change some things,” said Paul Wojdan, who is facing misdemeanor Safe Act Violation.
    well, i respect his willingness to eat a charge for the good of others

unrelated note:
    Wojdan said, “It's our right to bare arms. It shouldn't be a 10-round limit. My magazine should have held 17. But they have taken away our rights and, they're trying to take away more day by day and I'm tired of it.”
    hell of a job proofreading, WIVB!
  • sevun07
    sevun07 Members Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm building my first gun, an AR-15. I want to pick it up and know EXACTLY what it does when I pick it up. I have a few on my wish list. A Sig 226 Elite, a 1911 (is a must if you really love guns), then a shotgun, maybe an 870, then an M1 Garand or M1A1 variant,
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah.... not posting my guns in 2013 America...

^^This hoe ass ? is right...don't post your ? online people...TSA/NSA is watchin'...but it's cool to discuss.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't lose wit a Kalishnikov tho'
  • janklow
    Options
    sevun07 wrote: »
    I'm building my first gun, an AR-15. I want to pick it up and know EXACTLY what it does when I pick it up.
    hope it goes well, especially since there's a sad number of states attempting to ban America's most (currently) popular gun. what kind/brand of parts are you using?
    I have a few on my wish list. A Sig 226 Elite-
    good notion, but i have mild reservations about new-production SIGs in this day and age. and i really do like SIG.
    -a 1911 (is a must if you really love guns)-
    going to be honest: had a lot of guns long before i had anything in the 1911 vein.
    -then a shotgun, maybe an 870-
    a design so nice that even the Freedom Group couldn't screw it up!
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Can't lose wit a Kalishnikov tho'
    you can if you've got tasks it's just not best suited for, but hey
  • E 90
    E 90 Members Posts: 6
    Options
    You know i got one
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • janklow
    Options
    yeah, i need more freedom-discretion improvements in the lives of my firearms
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just want to say shoulder firing an m249 opened my eyes
  • janklow
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Just want to say shoulder firing an m249 opened my eyes
    ah, the class of guns they don't want us to own...

• The_Jackal
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes I can't lie shooting Is one of the primary reasons I'm switching to infantry as soon as I can. If I could legally own one in my state I would
  • janklow
    Options
    Yes I can't lie shooting Is one of the primary reasons I'm switching to infantry as soon as I can. If I could legally own one in my state I would
    i would like to hold out hope that the registry will one day be opened but for now, Reagan + Democrats in Congress = my outrage since the 1980s

• The_Jackal
    Options
    What state do you love in? I'm in Jersey I can't even get anything semi. I love being up north but it makes me want to move down south or out west where laws are more relaxed and I'm not treated like an idiot who can't be safe with a firearm. Just getting a handgun is a process in itself not to mention you automatically have to buy one with the 30 days you get the permit
  • janklow
    Options
    scenic Maryland: we used to have awkward and annoying gun control laws, but NOW we have a sweet new AWB and this new HQL law which no one can convince me is not strictly designed to crush handgun purchasing and/or the next generation of shooters.

that said, i know NJ has it worse so i must temper my complaints. it's crazy to see guys debating higher-end pistols and going "well, whether or not i have second thoughts i have to act immediately because of this permit situation"
  • taylornathaniel
    taylornathaniel Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Options
    I was denied a gun licenses four years ago due to my criminal background and driving history. I have an "A" misdemeanor that occurred in 2002, and several arrest with no convictions. NY is a very hard place to get a licenses. I would love to earned a legal gun/guns, but I am not privilege to do so. I've been in love with guns since a youngin, but I have to move out of state for such enjoyment.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    I was denied a gun licenses four years ago due to my criminal background and driving history. I have an "A" misdemeanor that occurred in 2002, and several arrest with no convictions. NY is a very hard place to get a licenses. I would love to earned a legal gun/guns, but I am not privilege to do so. I've been in love with guns since a youngin, but I have to move out of state for such enjoyment.

Perhaps go see a lawyer who specializes in firearm. He maybe be able to find a way for you to get a legal permit. And yeah Janklow I don't care what anyone says that law was put in place for the specific reason to stop the average Joe from getting his permit.
  • janklow
    Options
    And yeah Janklow I don't care what anyone says that law was put in place for the specific reason to stop the average Joe from getting his permit.
    basically
    it drives me a little nuts when people flip out about voter ID* but find an intentional onerous HQL legitimate

*don't really care about this, but it makes for a legitimate comparison

• Thegreatone3
    Thegreatone3 Members Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    Options
    To this day I will never understand you American's fascinations with guns. But hey, I'm not complaining all the way here from London. You guys just keep on killing each other... I'll just watch from way back here...

agJIP.gif
  • janklow
    Options
    To this day I will never understand you American's fascinations with guns.
    to this day, i will never understand you UK citizens wetting yourselves and calling the police at the sight of a round of ammunition.

also, something something Americans are going to ? each other with or without guns; gun laws are not the cause of violence in America; gun violence is drastically overstated by the common inclusion of suicides in the statistics; and the UK's lack of gun crime is falsely claimed by their use of stats that always seem to say "excluding Northern Ireland."
  • Thegreatone3
    Thegreatone3 Members Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    To this day I will never understand you American's fascinations with guns.
    to this day, i will never understand you UK citizens wetting yourselves and calling the police at the sight of a round of ammunition.

also, something something Americans are going to ? each other with or without guns; gun laws are not the cause of violence in America; gun violence is drastically overstated by the common inclusion of suicides in the statistics; and the UK's lack of gun crime is falsely claimed by their use of stats that always seem to say "excluding Northern Ireland."

Dumbest ? I've ever read this year... and we're going into 2015!!! Anyways if you don't run at the sound of gunfire then your either death or dumb, or both. I can find many a Youtube video of Americans flinching and running from gun fire, so your point is invalid.

You guys ? me the ? up. When you ? someone, let me know how it makes you feel like a man you dumb ? !