The official Gun/Firearm discussion/appreciation thread

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Anyways if you don't run at the sound of gunfire then your either death or dumb, or both. I can find many a Youtube video of Americans flinching and running from gun fire, so your point is invalid.
    did i say running at the sound of gunfire? or did i say "UK citizens wetting yourselves and calling the police at the sight of a round of ammunition?"
    it would probably help to read the post if you're going to claim to rebut it. also, i guess the rest of the points can slide?
    You guys ? me the ? up. When you ? someone, let me know how it makes you feel like a man you dumb ? !
    awww, come on, immediate hurt feelings when someone doesn't approve of you trolling the thread?

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UK and England in general stay losing.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I love guns, how did I not see this thread.....will do some reading on my lunch break
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...oh and ? Cuomo...

Yes, a big ? YOU to Governor Cuomo for limiting bullets in new guns
  • janklow
    Options
    Damn I love guns, how did I not see this thread.....will do some reading on my lunch break
    c'mon son
    Yes, a big ? YOU to Governor Cuomo for limiting bullets in new guns
    ...and the methodology used to ram through the SAFE Act, which ? , even people who hate guns should take issue with if they're decent people
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Janklow have you ever fired the m4. I absolutely hate it way to shirt and lightweight compared to our standard issue m16s
  • janklow
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Janklow have you ever fired the m4. I absolutely hate it way to shirt and lightweight compared to our standard issue m16s
    honest-to-? full-auto M4? no. i am not that high-speed/low-drag.

but i will say this: i've fired a lot of varied AR-15 models and i have never been thoroughly impressed with the shorter/lighter barreled models. i'm a little biased as i own no NFA guns (and my lovely state now bans the sale of all non-HBAR AR-15s). so i presumably cosign your sentiment even if we're coming at it from different angles.

• onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only gun I ever fired was an m16 in the air force. Just bought at 45 though and as soon as this 4 day waiting period is over I might pay $15 to go to the gun range and get some target practice.
  • janklow
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »
    Only gun I ever fired was an m16 in the air force. Just bought at 45 though and as soon as this 4 day waiting period is over I might pay $15 to go to the gun range and get some target practice.
    i know you answered this question in G&S, but when you figure out what it was, break it down for us. going to quote myself again:
    "no judgment (because i have bought an inexpensive gun or two in my day), but sometimes on this front it's better to save a little longer than to go with what's cheapest. but in the end it depends on what you want to do with it"

seriously, though, you can get LE trade-in Glocks for cheap that run better than fancy $1000+ 1911s, so results can vary (and i say this not being a fan of Glocks). so inexpensive isn't automatically bad. but i can't judge until i know what i am judging.

and yes, pay that money and practice practice practice. i don't think i am ever satisfied with the amount of shooting i get in.
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm betting money it's a highpoint
  • onthafly
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    i know you answered this question in G&S, but when you figure out what it was, break it down for us. going to quote myself again:
    "no judgment (because i have bought an inexpensive gun or two in my day), but sometimes on this front it's better to save a little longer than to go with what's cheapest. but in the end it depends on what you want to do with it"

seriously, though, you can get LE trade-in Glocks for cheap that run better than fancy $1000+ 1911s, so results can vary (and i say this not being a fan of Glocks). so inexpensive isn't automatically bad. but i can't judge until i know what i am judging.

and yes, pay that money and practice practice practice. i don't think i am ever satisfied with the amount of shooting i get in.

I mentioned it was originally a hi point in the other thread but I was able to pay a little more money and get a 40 cal Taurus instead. How much time do you spend on the range and do you know the best places to get cheap ammunition for target practice? It's $21.99 for a box of 50 rounds at the shooting range.
  • janklow
    Options
    I mentioned it was originally a hi point in the other thread but I was able to pay a little more money and get a 40 cal Taurus instead.
    what model of Taurus?
    How much time do you spend on the range-
    full disclosure: i have not shot at an actual firing range since 2000 or so. i have relatives with land that's viable for shooting and that's where i do my thing, which i mention because i am really not up on policies and pricing for range time. that said, i try to be shooting a couple of times a month, a couple of hours at a time, during any month that's not hunting season. it never feels like enough.
    -and do you know the best places to get cheap ammunition for target practice? It's $21.99 for a box of 50 rounds at the shooting range.
    there's two ways to look at this:

01. the cheapest way to buy ammo is always going to be in bulk, whether online or at a local show/shop that gives you a good price. my state can lean toward high ammo prices, so for stuff i intend to burn up (5.56x45mm, 7.62x39mm, 9x19mm, .45 ACP), i try to shop around and do 500-1000 round increments at a minimum. gunbot.net can be your friend. but the catch is that this might be more of a $$$ outlay than you're up for. ranges are always going to get you for the price of ammo and sometimes they have restrictions (or so i am told).

if you're in an area where you can get decent prices at a gun show, check into those and save the price of shipping.

02. if you live in a state that's not gun-friendly (i do), sometimes it's worth paying a slightly-higher price for guns/ammo/etc at your Local Gun Shop to support their business. likely you don't have this problem, but it's food for thought.

• onthafly
    Options
    gunbot.net seems to have some pretty decent prices on ammo when the page wants to load. I think I'm keeping that and armslist.com in my favorites tab.
  • janklow
    Options
    gunbot.net seems to have some pretty decent prices on ammo when the page wants to load.
    it's terrible-looking and not perfect, but it is one heck of an aggregator and generally can point you to good retailers.

• The_Jackal
    Options
    IMG_20150202_101334.jpg
    screen capture tool

Miss shooting that m16 and m249. Wish I had a picture with that to. Can't wait to go back active civilian life ? sucks
  • janklow
    Options
    reminds me of this:

FNH USA to release semi-auto version of the M249 to the public
    FNH USA has announced a new semi-auto variant of the M249 series that will be available this fall! As far as I know, this is the first time a major manufacturer has released a belt-fed semi-auto to the general public.

From our newest writer Rusty S reporting from the NRA show.

“This morning I headed over to the FNH USA booth at the NRA show to get some exciting details about the new M249S and FN15 military collector’s series. FN is planning on having the 1st 200 models of the M249S to be a “collector’s series”. Said models will ship in a hard case with a 200 round hard box magazine with links, FN15 magazine, and spare barrel, along with a certificate. Standard production models will ship with the 200 round box and links. The expected MSRP will be between $7,000-$7,500 for the standard production models. Not too bad for a belt-fed! They were able to keep the cost low due to the fact that it uses so many original SAW components that they already have in production. Pricing TBD on the collector’s series. The guns will take all original accessories for the M249, including stocks, forends, etc. The model itself looks outwardly like the M249 PIP version, with the fixed plastic stock and handguard on top of the barrel. It will weigh roughly 17 lbs. The model on display was the one fired in their promotional video. With a 4.5-6lb trigger, I’m sure one could get this thing to run pretty fast! ”

https://youtu.be/GDmyF3uujAo[/video]

From FNH USA:

FN M249S™
    Commercial, Law Enforcement
    Made In The USA

The FN M249S, a semi-automatic version of the M249 SAW light machinegun, was originally developed by FN Herstal as the FN MINIMI® and adopted by the U.S. Military in 1988. The rifle features the signature 20.5-inch FN cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined barrel and operates from a closed bolt position. Chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO, the rifle will accept both magazine and linked ammunition belt and offers a 4.5-6.5 pound trigger pull out-of-the-box.
  • The_Jackal
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That ? is beautiful. How would the law work with that? Like since it's semi-automatic would it be classified as a semi-automatic rifle even though it's based off an LMG? Pretty cool it can both be magazine and link belt reloaded
  • janklow
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    That ? is beautiful. How would the law work with that? Like since it's semi-automatic would it be classified as a semi-automatic rifle even though it's based off an LMG? Pretty cool it can both be magazine and link belt reloaded
    well, there's semi-auto versions of other MGs out there (i can specifically think of some semi-auto M60s, for example), so yeah, it would get sold however semi-auto rifles work in your jurisdiction.

the kicker: MSRP is still $7000-$7500

NFA-wise this does us all no good as it's all post-86
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just bought a shot gun, and out of the box this thing is giving me trouble. ? .
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

What's wrong with it?
  • janklow
    Options
    what did you get and what's the issue?
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what did you get?
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I got a Franchi Intensity.

So basically, this was happening.

First putting the gun together, I couldnt get the barrel to slide all the way into the receiver. I could not figure out at all why it wouldn't slip in, especially after watching the youtube tutorials. Because the forearm and barrel go on together, I could not see that the magazine tube was actually sticking out too far and it was bumping into the barrel ring. I stuck my finger down the forearm and got the magazine to move enough so I could slide the barrel on, even though it really did not wanna slide in smoothly.

Phew, crisis averted, or so I thought.

No, when I pull back the action without pressing the firing pin button (sorry no idea what its called) the action will stick back and not slide back and fourth freely. Sometimes it will lock back and pressing the bolt release button won't do anything. Only pressing the shell feeder lever will let it go down.

If I press the the firing pin button, the bolt will stay back when I pull it back, and release when I press the it will work like it should.

Is this just new gun that needs to be broken in some or should I be more worried? I feel like I should be more worried. I hope any of this makes sense.

BUT now after just sitting around it seems to be functioning just fine. It maybe just had too much oil from the factory or needed be broke in. These intertia driven recoil systems can be finicky at first.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    BUT in a stroke of great irony, I just won a ? gun tonight hahahahahahhahhahaahhahhahahhahaaha

Baby Desert Eagle II 9mm. ? thing is badass as ? !
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    I got a Franchi Intensity.

So basically, this was happening.

First putting the gun together, I couldnt get the barrel to slide all the way into the receiver. I could not figure out at all why it wouldn't slip in, especially after watching the youtube tutorials. Because the forearm and barrel go on together, I could not see that the magazine tube was actually sticking out too far and it was bumping into the barrel ring. I stuck my finger down the forearm and got the magazine to move enough so I could slide the barrel on, even though it really did not wanna slide in smoothly.

Phew, crisis averted, or so I thought.

No, when I pull back the action without pressing the firing pin button (sorry no idea what its called) the action will stick back and not slide back and fourth freely. Sometimes it will lock back and pressing the bolt release button won't do anything. Only pressing the shell feeder lever will let it go down.

If I press the the firing pin button, the bolt will stay back when I pull it back, and release when I press the it will work like it should.

Is this just new gun that needs to be broken in some or should I be more worried? I feel like I should be more worried. I hope any of this makes sense.

BUT now after just sitting around it seems to be functioning just fine. It maybe just had too much oil from the factory or needed be broke in. These intertia driven recoil systems can be finicky at first.

If I were you I would return it especially if you'd having problems with a firing pin this early on