Real Talk E-40>KRS One

Options

Comments

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Im picking E40 because I've always enjoyed his music more but it's no slight to KRS. I'm a person who hates how arrogant he is but that don't got nothing to do with his talent as an mc.

let's hear some examples of krs one being more arrogant than any other mc.

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I was around when KRS was schooling cats on albums like By All Means Necessarry, Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop, Edutainment, Sex and Violence and Return of the Boom Bap. Also his self titled album and I Got Next. After I Got Next he went independent and hasn't gotten the marketing and promotion, but financially he gets a bigger percentage of what's left after recoupable expenses. In other words KRS makes more money off of royalties now than he did when he was on a major label.

But lets go back to songs like Beef and Why is That. You may agree or disagree with what he said but the point is that he was the only rapper in the game using Hip Hop as a tool to teach listeners. I can remember being in 11th grade when the You Must Learn video came out. It was mindblowing. It was revolutionary. He made me want to acquire knowledge and him, along with Chuck D and to a lesser extent Rakim were the leaders of that era in Hip Hop where it was considered cool to drop knowledge on wax. Nowadays rappers rap about throwing money up in the air at a strip club. Back then rappers rapped about Malcolm X, The importance of a proper diet and how to free your mind from the chains of mental slavery.

Bottom line KRS was a pioneer because he made you think. He wrote rhymes that made you think and you could agree or disagree with what he said but the point is that he made you think. You can't say that about alot of modern day rappers.

I just paíd attention in class.....got the same effect
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I was around when KRS was schooling cats on albums like By All Means Necessarry, Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop, Edutainment, Sex and Violence and Return of the Boom Bap. Also his self titled album and I Got Next. After I Got Next he went independent and hasn't gotten the marketing and promotion, but financially he gets a bigger percentage of what's left after recoupable expenses. In other words KRS makes more money off of royalties now than he did when he was on a major label.

But lets go back to songs like Beef and Why is That. You may agree or disagree with what he said but the point is that he was the only rapper in the game using Hip Hop as a tool to teach listeners. I can remember being in 11th grade when the You Must Learn video came out. It was mindblowing. It was revolutionary. He made me want to acquire knowledge and him, along with Chuck D and to a lesser extent Rakim were the leaders of that era in Hip Hop where it was considered cool to drop knowledge on wax. Nowadays rappers rap about throwing money up in the air at a strip club. Back then rappers rapped about Malcolm X, The importance of a proper diet and how to free your mind from the chains of mental slavery.

Bottom line KRS was a pioneer because he made you think. He wrote rhymes that made you think and you could agree or disagree with what he said but the point is that he made you think. You can't say that about alot of modern day rappers.

I just paíd attention in class.....got the same effect

nerd
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Oceanic wrote: »
    215regz wrote: »
    215regz wrote: »
    made it cool to have knowledge in the hood, an almost impossible feat.

If you call spitting inaccuracies an incredible feat, sure. For example, You Must Learn was riddled with erroneous statements, like Benjamin Banneker invented the almanac. I can keep going.

If you gonna quote though g, quote Why Is That also. His biblical references are correct. Beef- the ? is correct lol. Black Cop- correct lol. I can keep going too lol.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'll quote the song Beef:
    KRS One wrote: »
    See cows live under fear and stress
    Trying to think what's gonna happen next
    Fear and stress can become a part of you
    In your cells and blood, this is true
    So when the cow is killed, believe it
    You preserve those cells, you freeze it
    Thaw it out with the blood and season it
    Then you sit down and begin eatin it
    In your body, it's structure becomes your structure
    All the fear and stress of another

^^^ This is not true.

Which part?

Do you have links to scientific studies disproving what was said...are you a Bovine expert or Bovine Farmer?

I guess the Jews and Muslims have it wrong then when it comes to "Kosher" or "Halal" food

Or perhaps "You are what you eat?" is something you never heard before uh?

Better yet, do you have any scientific studies proving that statement to be true?

Actually the onus is on you, you're the one who claims it's false. I am not the one questioning the veracity of the statement. In fact I never even stated a position on if I even believe it or not, you did, with a 3 up arrows and 4 words just figured maybe you would want to provide something more than that to disprove it.

KRS is the one making the claim. The burden of proof lies on him, and you if you want to defend the claim. I don't believe it.
    I'm saying there's no scientific evidence of that being true.
    Your move.

Again I am not claiming a position, you are.

So no scientific evidence of disease crossing over from Bovine to man?

I'll let Mad Cow disease know...

LMAO!!! The name "mad cow disease" does not mean the cow was literally upset before it died. You need to do research before you talk about this stuff.

Stop deflecting, I am well aware of what it is...

So you can't get sick from a eating a cow infected with "Mad Cow" disease?

Yes you can. It's a disease. But it's not the cow's sadness, fear, and other negative emotions being transferred onto you as KRS is saying. You're talking about something completely different.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BUNCH OF ? BIAS ASS ? IN THIS THREAD. YA'LL NOT FOOLING ME. KRS ONE WAS SO RIGHT.

TELL NELLY TO MARINATE ON THESE LYRICS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-hkzMyFMrQ

I love KRS and no diss to you but that verse got boring half way through.

• judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ok ... i try to hold my peace with certain views buttttt.....news flash.. krs-one is the biggest pseudo-intellectual fraud and hypocrite in hip-hop history.. e-40 is no prize pig himself but he's stylistically AND contentwise.. goddamit complaining about how mainstream rap is, bigging up how much of an emcee you are and using the same ? cadence for 30 damn years IS NOT that dope.... and contrary to popular revisionist theory, there were more rappers than him kicking knowledge....everybody was damn near.. matter fact the dude been mad contadictory if you listen..hes kicked a lot of straight up facts but in between facts he weaves in a very, stupid ass hypocritical philosophy that no one calls him on
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BK how could Nelly lose kicking epic lines like "? got more skills than Beverly got hills/ more than Goodyear got wheels/.....lol yo Ether, Takeover, 2nd Round KO etc all take a back seat to that ? right there, sun.....

On the real tho, these cats hate KRS so it really aint no point....
  • O.G.
    Options
    BUNCH OF ? BIAS ASS ? IN THIS THREAD. YA'LL NOT FOOLING ME. KRS ONE WAS SO RIGHT.

TELL NELLY TO MARINATE ON THESE LYRICS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-hkzMyFMrQ

I love KRS and no diss to you but that verse got boring half way through.

What's your opinion KRS ONE "Sneak Attack" album. I don't see many talk about it.

TBH It's my least fave of his work. I prefer in this order.

1 By All Means
    2 Boom Bap
    3 Criminal minded

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Out of all these Titangraphsbi still haven't seen how E-40 is a better MC. *shrugs* ? way off topic.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You couldn't hit while you was making a turn
    I strike a nerve and old MC's wantin a comeback
    I got respect but it's lost and that's a fact
    Like K - "Know" one here even said your name
    R - You really feeling guilty bout something mayn
    S - Sad to see you really just want just
    One - more hit please please!
    You the first old man who should get a rapper's pension
    No hit since the cordless mic invention

Snitching? Matter fact stay the ? out the kitchen
    Nelly cookin with too many dimensions
    Mid west, and we aim about mid chest

Nelly clapped krs one so bad that he went on a campaign demanding people boycott nelly
    "When I heard the 'Roc the Mic' remix, I said 'You know what, let me get this cat,' " KRS remembered. "It was the whole street thing. If somebody slapped you in your face the whole block is gonna start slapping you, trying to punk you on the block. He came out with a record and tried to punk me on the block."

His own words he admitted nelly sonned him.It's good to see people agree Fonz is the better.I thought I was the only one
  • judahxulu
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Out of all these Titangraphsbi still haven't seen how E-40 is a better MC. *shrugs* ? way off topic.

easy...just reverse engineer it. what EXACTLY makes KRS-One dope besides the hype surrounding his "legend"? In all the categories of what makes a pleasing emcee presentation you will find that he is lacking...80% of that ? is hype and just the boldness of his narcissism. That ? wanna talk about whats real hip-hop and not ALL the time but then co-signs ? like 50 and T.I.... he's a ? and if you werent alive at the time certain ? went down then you have no clue. Most of you ? fronting..aint no way you really LISTEN to that ? ..you just do it tryna be "authentic hip-hop"...he ? up hip-hop when he bumrushed p.m. dawn... x-clan and ice cube had issues with him at the time and he didnt dare run up on none of them. ? swear they real hip-hop but most you ? only rep what you been programmed with.. krs one is the "blueprint" for the contradictory conscious rapper who dont do ? but complain.... the ? is not that dope of a rapper comparatively speaking to the entire history of emcees.. not even ? top 20. strip away all the hype and break the ? down systematically and logically and youll see i aint lying. e-40 carved his own zone.. if krs one had nothing to complain about his career wouldnt exist. little known fact is his very first offering before "south bronx" hit was on some 100% knowledge but people wasnt tryna hear it so he has used controversy as leverage for relevance from the beginning. and ? you ? nigas in advance talmbout "titangraphs"..you non-reading ass mufuckas lurking need to learn the real ? and quit letting these lying ? tittyfeed you revisionist hip-hop history.. these old ? be agreeing on popular lies. look up the federation for the preservation of hip-hop culture. ? stinks from the very top and its more the fault of ? like krs then it is your asap rockys and lil bs
  • judahxulu
    Options
    I like KRS. I get really offended and all in my feelings when people try to down play him and his contribution to the community. You go to any Brooklyn library, you're gonna see a KRS one poster with kids. I have every single one of his albums and waiting for his next one. I'm not going to say all of his albums are great but a lot of them flew under the radar.

I find it sad that he is internationally praised more than America. And many know that some countries preserve Hip Hop better than us.

I should of went to his show at SOB's on August 15th when i found out AllHipHop was promoting it on their front page.

I can't wait to see him again when i go to rock the bells. i expect a great show

thats that ? . with all his contributions to the community.. how come that ? worse? time to start challenging these gatekeepers.... if these gatekeeper ? were all that then rap would not be the crapfest that it is now.
  • O.G.
    edited September 2013
    Options
    All i know is i am constantly updating to "favorite E-40 songs folder", and I haven't added to my KRS folder in a long time.

@judahxulu well done.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tommy, no just don't.

• jono
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »

easy...just reverse engineer it. what EXACTLY makes KRS-One dope besides the hype surrounding his "legend"? In all the categories of what makes a pleasing emcee presentation you will find that he is lacking...80% of that ? is hype and just the boldness of his narcissism. That ? wanna talk about whats real hip-hop and not ALL the time but then co-signs ? like 50 and T.I.... he's a ? and if you werent alive at the time certain ? went down then you have no clue. Most of you ? fronting..aint no way you really LISTEN to that ? ..you just do it tryna be "authentic hip-hop"...he ? up hip-hop when he bumrushed p.m. dawn... x-clan and ice cube had issues with him at the time and he didnt dare run up on none of them. ? swear they real hip-hop but most you ? only rep what you been programmed with.. krs one is the "blueprint" for the contradictory conscious rapper who dont do ? but complain.... the ? is not that dope of a rapper comparatively speaking to the entire history of emcees.. not even ? top 20. strip away all the hype and break the ? down systematically and logically and youll see i aint lying. e-40 carved his own zone.. if krs one had nothing to complain about his career wouldnt exist. little known fact is his very first offering before "south bronx" hit was on some 100% knowledge but people wasnt tryna hear it so he has used controversy as leverage for relevance from the beginning. and ? you ? nigas in advance talmbout "titangraphs"..you non-reading ass mufuckas lurking need to learn the real ? and quit letting these lying ? tittyfeed you revisionist hip-hop history.. these old ? be agreeing on popular lies. look up the federation for the preservation of hip-hop culture. ? stinks from the very top and its more the fault of ? like krs then it is your asap rockys and lil bs

That's it? That's all you gonna say? You could sum this ? up with a "I hate KRS, therefore ima say 40 is better jus cuz"

• SneakDZA
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that everyone who said they think E-40 is better has exposed themselves to have some kind of weird personal feelings about KRS?

Each one of these goofy ? really has a serious issue with dude and want to pass it off like they're just being objective about the music.
  • judahxulu
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »

That's it? That's all you gonna say? You could sum this ? up with a "I hate KRS, therefore ima say 40 is better jus cuz"

i would have ...if thats what i was saying ? . i know how to precisely communicate my thoughts
  • judahxulu
    Options
    All i know is i am constantly updating to "favorite E-40 songs folder", and I haven't added to my KRS folder in a long time.

@judahxulu well done.

man i just get sick of that b.s. put out there like u gotta like certain ? or pole ? certain artists to be "authentic hip-hop" when the reality is a lot of those ? had a part in weakening it...
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that everyone who said they think E-40 is better has exposed themselves to have some kind of weird personal feelings about KRS?

Each one of these goofy ? really has a serious issue with dude and want to pass it off like they're just being objective about the music.

I don't have any problems with him. It's just facts. Facts which you can't dispute. Stop playing victim.
  • judahxulu
    Options

dispute just ONE ? fact i stated and i'll counter it with real life events and the ? lyrics .... on some real ? whatever the concept of the pinnacle in any particular field will be the same limitation of that field and it will never grow until the supremacy of the "gatekeepers" is challenged
  • judahxulu
    Options
    and if you dont have personal feelings about or generated by music then you listening to the wrong ? or you aint got a ? soul.. "personal feelings" lol.. ? please
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sorry but I have to applaud you E-40 fans.

He literally has the W.O.A.T. Delivery, flow and lyrics.

I dunno how you stand him.
  • jono
    Options
    I can't believe ? really putting KRS and E-40 in the same class, or even think to compare them.

I can't envision a situation where e-40 deserves such reverence. I'm not always a supporter of KRS but dude deserve better than this.

E-40 is like the West Coast NORE or something, there's no way these two should be compared. Being relevant is not a substitute for actual talent. Not saying E-40 doesn't have talent, he has shown an ability to change with the times but that's easy when all you do Is talk about poppin ya collar and making up words to sound cool.

Both are independent, which I support but where is E-40's Criminal Minded? What undeniable classic was he apart of in all these years?
    Since the turn of the century I would rather listen to E-40 and I do listen to E-40 but seriously how a ? that barely stay on beat considered a superior MC to KRS? Like that's all KRS do is MC!

I can't believe ? really putting KRS and E-40 in the same class, or even think to compare them.

I can't envision a situation where e-40 deserves such reverence. I'm not always a supporter of KRS but dude deserve better than this.

E-40 is like the West Coast NORE or something, there's no way these two should be compared.
    Being relevant is not a substitute for actual talent. Not saying E-40 doesn't have talent, he has shown an ability to change with the times but that's easy when all you do Is talk about poppin ya collar and making up words to sound cool.

Both are independent, which I support but where is E-40's Criminal Minded? What undeniable classic was he apart of in all these years? Since the turn of the century I would rather listen to E-40 and I do listen to E-40 but seriously how a ? that barely stay on beat considered a superior MC to KRS? Like that's all KRS do is MC!

Lmao the bolded made me laugh out loud.? actin like this is blasphemy.E-40 has a dope catalog just cuz YOU ? don't bump him don't take away from his career.NO rapper in history can last 23 years in this game without doing somethin right

KRS been in the game longer though. E-40 like 45 years old rapping on beats produced by his teenage son trying to be trendy to a few hundred cats in the Bay. KRS ain't cut like that. How you damn near 50 following trends? Shouldnt you be setting them?

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KRS isnt all that dope yall make him out to be. I mean his good but on a Biggie, prime Jay, Nas, Kool G Rap for examples. Nowhere is he seeing them ?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    this relevancy ? is hilarious and biased as ? ... because none of y'all can operationalize or measure it accurately and objectively...

Yes you can

On March 24, "Function" reached #62 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, before the album was released.[8] "Function" has also peaked at #42 on the Billboard Rap chart. It debuted on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart at #22 on May 13, 2012.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(song)

Show and prove for KRS.
    U didn't define relevance... Or prove how billboard is an accurate measure of it... So yeah...