Official 2014 NBA Draft Thread (the race to the bottom)

Options

Comments

• af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Like i said ? it
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully my Lakers can get Embid or Exum......
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Embiid lol I don bet against history.

In a draft full of potential generational talents, im not touchin a raw Embiid.

From Sam Bowie to Greg Oden to Darko Milicic to Hasheen Thabeet, no way.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

So Kobe Westbrook Dwight etc weren't raw talent? Embid is worst case scenario a 10 10 and 2 center. Oden had injury concerns coming into that draft.. Darko was unproven playing overseas and thabeet was never supposed to be a two way center his offense was trash at UCONN. Embid is the best player on a team full off star players and he's getting better with every game he plays.

• S2J
    Options

So Kobe Westbrook Dwight etc weren't raw talent? Embid is worst case scenario a 10 10 and 2 center. Oden had injury concerns coming into that draft.. Darko was unproven playing overseas and thabeet was never supposed to be a two way center his offense was trash at UCONN. Embid is the best player on a team full off star players and he's getting better with every game he plays.

Comparing raw bigs to raw wings and/or pgs are apples n oranges

And 10,10, and 2 damn sure isnt a 'worst case scenario'. Its more like a modestly accurate expectation. Worst case scenario is more like 6 and 4 and a fledgling journeyman career. Theres far too many examples like him for that NOT to be a possibility.

• af.r.i.c.a.
    Options

And 10,10, and 2 damn sure isnt a 'worst case scenario'. Its more like a modestly accurate expectation. Worst case scenario is more like 6 and 4 and a fledgling journeyman career. Theres far too many examples like him for that NOT to be a possibility.

Marc Gasol KG Bynum Tyson Chandler Anthony Davis Ibaka.. and no comparing wings to bigs is not apples and oranges if your a raw talent you won't be ? without hard work and confidence I don't care what position you play. Fact of the matter is most teams that win championships have to have a quality big. That's why oden was picked ahead of durant and why hakeem(who was a raw talent at the time) was picked ahead of MJ.

• S2J
    Options

Marc Gasol KG Bynum Tyson Chandler Anthony Davis Ibaka.. and no comparing wings to bigs is not apples and oranges if your a raw talent you won't be ? without hard work and confidence I don't care what position you play. Fact of the matter is most teams that win championships have to have a quality big. That's why oden was picked ahead of durant and why hakeem(who was a raw talent at the time) was picked ahead of MJ.

How'd that work out?

And what's Embiid's ceiling? Do you logically think he's going to break the mold and be the best pure C in decades? Who was the last pure Center to come in this league and dominate? Andrew Bynum? And he needed other perimter players around him to win a chip. If not for pure low post skill, what is a moden day big giving you??? He will never be Pao, he will never be Duncan.

He cant be Anthony Dvais b/c he's killing due to his mobility and athleticsm. He and Embiid are noti alike.

Embiid would be lucky to be Ibaka status. And what is Ibaka. A good, talented player who is surrounded by two elite perimeter players. You wouldnt pick Ibaka over durant or Westbrrok, and you shouldnt pick Embiid over Wiggins, Parker, Smart etc who have such potential to be faces of the league. There's just no way.

• af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
  • S2J
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Dont give up so easily.

And you're wrong. Most teams who win championships did not have "quality" bigs...They had SUPERSTAR bigs
    Duncan, Shaq, Nowitzki, Hakeem, etc...Embiid will not sniff them.

So if you're not a superstar big (he's not), you go the other route an win with superstar talent period. DWade few yrs back, Bron n co now, MJ, Kobe w/out Shaq. None of those teams' best players were their bigs.

If he;s lucky Embiid will be a 3rd piece, a contributor...while Parker, wiggins, smart are the new wave.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Men might think I'm crazy but id take.

1. Wiggins
    2. Parker
    3. Exum
    4. Embiid
    5. Randle
    6. Smart
    7. Hood

Embiid has offensive skills, that's what I look for in big men. He can run, no knee or feet injuries known - I don't see him being a Thabeet. One thing y'all trying to rewrite history but Oden was nice that season at Ohio St - what should've scared Portland was the knee and feet problems.
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    Some highlights from Oden freshman year:

14pts 11reb 5blk v Cincinnati
    24pts 15reb v Tennessee
    29pts 10reb v Iowa
    17pts 19reb v Purdue
    22pts 8reb 4blk v Michigan
    25pts 12reb 4blk v Florida (National Championship game)

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/60049/gamelog

So don't tell me he had busts written all over him.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Men might think I'm crazy but id take.

1. Wiggins
    2. Parker
    3. Exum
    4. Embiid
    5. Randle
    6. Smart
    7. Hood

Embiid has offensive skills, that's what I look for in big men. He can run, no knee or feet injuries known - I don't see him being a Thabeet. One thing y'all trying to rewrite history but Oden was nice that season at Ohio St - what should've scared Portland was the knee and feet problems.

You wouldnt last long as an nba gm. randle over embiid.?
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    edited January 2014
    Options
    My Mid Season Prospect Ranking

1.Parker
    2.Embid
    3.Wiggins
    4.Exum
    5.Randle
    6.Smart
    7.J.Young
    8. A.Gordon
    9.Hood
    10.Vonleh

Sleepers
    Jahii Carson
    Kyle Anderson
    Jordan Clarkson
    Chris Walker
    Spencer Dinwiddie
    Adrian Payne
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no idea how Randle will pan out in the league but at 6'8-6'9 he's an undersized power forward in the league.

Thats more the size of this generations small forward and if that's the case he better work on those handles and jump shot.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Randle is nice on the College level, but the more I watch dude at Kentucky, he reminds me of Beasley when he was at K-State
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    I have no idea how Randle will pan out in the league but at 6'8-6'9 he's an undersized power forward in the league.

Thats more the size of this generations small forward and if that's the case he better work on those handles and jump shot.

He's has a good handle and a decent mid range jumper.. Just hasn't showed it off yet. Honestly 6'9 isn't a bad height fora PF but his wingspan isn't anything special and he just doesn't have great defensive instincts. I think he will be a 20 10 guy but if a team with a weak defensive front court is in position to draft him that might be the reason they pass. I think Randel would be a perfect fit in Philly along side Noel or. Milwaukee with Sanders and Henson.

• af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Bulls Celtics and Lakers welcome to the race
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im starting to see Randle in a new light. Is he a franchise player or is he Mike Beasley... Is he a legit 6'9 or is he just 6'7
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WE in here

tumblr_mempfmto8l1rgx7ico1_400.gif

Shouts to the bulls front office for having foresight
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    Hoop Summit 2013 Box Score. A long time ago in 'development' years but interesting to see who did well in a one off game.

Photo-Apr-20-9-24-39-PM.jpg
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hoop Summit 2013 Box Score. A long time ago in 'development' years but interesting to see who did well in a one off game.

Photo-Apr-20-9-24-39-PM.jpg

That entire game is on YouTube. If i knew how to post it I would lol

• MarcusGarvey
    Options
    @af.r.i.c.a.
    Just copy and paste, hit preview to see if the link works.
    Make sure it's the desktop link not mobile.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spurs drafted the MVP (Livio Jean-Charles) of that game last season.

Projects to be a solid role player according to Draftexpress.com. That's a great thing if true for one of the lowest picks in the 1st round.