Game of Thrones - Season 4 (Book Readers please use spoilers & disclaimers or be BANNED)

Options

Comments

• DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    s.free wrote: »
    Why do people expect a bunch of black people medieval england tho?

Lol at medieval england. You dumb af.

The show IS based on medieval england. The War of the Roses/Plantagenet-Lancaster-York/Henry Tudor actually. Some of his character arcs on GOT follow their real-life inspirations word for word. Read up on it.

He also threw some non-European cultures/civilizations in there as well.....like The Dothraki who are inspired by the Mongols.....which is why the thought that blacks couldn't be on GOT is ? . There weren't any Mongols in England either.

Everything on TV and film can tie into something real if you want to go there. Real ? inspires make belief. Thinking anything else is just incredible reach.This isn't based on medieval England. Stop it.

Nikka...what are you talking about?

George RR Martin himself said his books were inspired by the War of the Roses and Medieval England.

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1496
    Qhorinmate says: I have read that Westeros is "sort of based on medieval Britain". How true is that and what would be the most fascinating thing about this set of islands that has attracted you to its history?

GRRM: Westeros is probably closer to medieval Britain than anything else. Geographically, it occupies a somewhat similar position off a larger contintent, although Westeros is considerably larger and is, in fact, a continent itself, more like South America. And although I've drawn on many parts of history, the War of the Roses is probably the one my story is closest to.

He lifted some stories straight from history.

Robert's Rebellion = The Wars of the Roses
    Aegon the Conqueror = William the Conqueror
    House Targaryen = The Lancasters
    House Baratheon = The Yorks
    House Lannister = The Woodvilles
    House Tyrell = The Nevilles
    King Aerys II = King Henry VI
    Prince Rhaegar = Edward of Westminter
    King Robert = King Edward IV
    Stannis = Richard III
    Renly = George, Duke of Clarence
    Tywin = Richard Woodville, some Warwick the Kingmaker
    Jaime and Tyrion = Anthony Woodville
    Cersei = Elizabeth Woodville, some Margaret of Anjou
    Prince Joffrey = Edward V, some Edward of Westminter
    Margaery Tyrell = Anne and Isabel Neville
    Ned Stark = William Hastings
    Aegon VI = Perkin Warbeck
    Lyanna Stark = Margaret Beaufort
    Whoever wins The Game of Thrones = Henry Tudor

Go sit down somewhere.

I'm reading up on my War of the Roses history..but Henry Tudor, it's sort of references that Henry VII (Tudor) is of the Lancaster family...so we if we going that route and Targaryen = Lancaster, it really does leads credence to the Jon Snow theory.....
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options

The show IS based on medieval england. The War of the Roses/Plantagenet-Lancaster-York/Henry Tudor actually. Some of his character arcs on GOT follow their real-life inspirations word for word. Read up on it.

He also threw some non-European cultures/civilizations in there as well.....like The Dothraki who are inspired by the Mongols.....which is why the thought that blacks couldn't be on GOT is ? . There weren't any Mongols in England either.

Everything on TV and film can tie into something real if you want to go there. Real ? inspires make belief. Thinking anything else is just incredible reach.This isn't based on medieval England. Stop it.

George RR Martin himself said his books were inspired by the War of the Roses and Medieval England.

Qhorinmate says: I have read that Westeros is "sort of based on medieval Britain". How true is that and what would be the most fascinating thing about this set of islands that has attracted you to its history?

GRRM: Westeros is probably closer to medieval Britain than anything else. Geographically, it occupies a somewhat similar position off a larger contintent, although Westeros is considerably larger and is, in fact, a continent itself, more like South America. And although I've drawn on many parts of history, the War of the Roses is probably the one my story is closest to.

Stannis = Richard III

Go sit down somewhere.

I'm reading up on my War of the Roses history..but Henry Tudor, it's sort of references that Henry VII (Tudor) is of the Lancaster family...so we if we going that route and Targaryen = Lancaster, it really does leads credence to the Jon Snow theory.....

Yea...I'm not saying its copied word for word but, if you go back and read about some of these real life people, you'll have the Weebey face for real. Like King Henry VI was a king that went insane and got his throne ripped away from him by another house in war and his teenage son, the prince, was killed in battle. That doesn't sound familiar?

Henry Tudor was a bastard on his father's side and a distant relative of Edward III (Lancaster) on his mother's side through his maternal great-great grandfather John of Gaunt. Henry Tudor came completely out of left field, he was never a player for the throne, handfuls of people who had better claims than him died/fell in order for Henry Tudor to get the throne. Kinda sounds like the political games happening in King's Landing in the books right? The movers and shakers in Kings Landing aren't even thinking about Jon Snow. Henry Tudor was raised in exile. Kinda like being raised in The North/The Wall. His mother birthed him in Wales, which is secluded from England like Dorne is to Westeros, where Jon Snow was born. His mother had him at 13. Lyanna Stark had Jon when she was 15/16. If Jon becomes king, Lyanna would be the mother of a king but, never queen herself....like Margaret was mother of King Henry VII (Tudor) but, never queen herself. There's similarities there.

Some people say Aegon Targaryen could be the "Henry Tudor" of GOT too, but I think he's the "Perkin Warbeck" of GOT. Aegon Targaryen claims to be the heir/son of Prince Rhaegar who everyone believed was killed during the Rebellion. In real life, Perkin Warbeck claimed to be the heir/son of King Edward IV who everyone believed was killed as a young kid (The Princes in the Tower). Turned out, Warbeck was a pretender and an impostor.

The author lifted alot of stories right out of history.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options

Stannis = Richard III

Go sit down somewhere.

Yea...I'm not saying its copied word for word but, if you go back and read about some of these real life people, you'll have the Weebey face for real. Like King Henry VI was a king that went insane and got his throne ripped away from him by another house in war and his teenage son, the prince, was killed in battle. That doesn't sound familiar?

Henry Tudor was a bastard on his father's side and a distant relative of Edward III (Lancaster) on his mother's side through his maternal great-great grandfather John of Gaunt. Henry Tudor came completely out of left field, he was never a player for the throne, handfuls of people who had better claims than him died/fell in order for Henry Tudor to get the throne. Kinda sounds like the political games happening in King's Landing in the books right? The movers and shakers in Kings Landing aren't even thinking about Jon Snow. Henry Tudor was raised in exile. Kinda like being raised in The North/The Wall. His mother birthed him in Wales, which is secluded from England like Dorne is to Westeros, where Jon Snow was born. His mother had him at 13. Lyanna Stark had Jon when she was 15/16. If Jon becomes king, Lyanna would be the mother of a king but, never queen herself....like Margaret was mother of King Henry VII (Tudor) but, never queen herself. There's similarities there.
    Some people say Aegon Targaryen could be the "Henry Tudor" of GOT too, but I think he's the "Perkin Warbeck" of GOT. Aegon Targaryen claims to be the heir/son of Prince Rhaegar who everyone believed was killed during the Rebellion. In real life, Perkin Warbeck claimed to be the heir/son of King Edward IV who everyone believed was killed as a young kid (The Princes in the Tower). Turned out, Warbeck was a pretender and an impostor.

My ? did you just drop a huge spoiler for no reason?

• Maalik
    edited January 2014
    Options
    unquote me. i put it in spoilers.
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am going to rewatch season 1-3 this next month. I find myself too often confused about ? that happens with references to older ? that happened.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

Stannis = Richard III

Go sit down somewhere.

It's just a theory, however nothing will prepare you for what comes at the end of book 4 SMMFH.

@Maalik

*spoiler alert for non-book readers - do not read if you dont want to ruin the experience*
    I think so too & I think you're right but don't forget Bran & Rickon tho. However, there's strong indication it might be one of the Greyjoys who wins the GoT... I see their family value being the future of Westeros (free will), even if they all die I think their ideology will live on long after every other House. It could be anyone but Aegon look like he might be the one. I think it's gonna be him in the end on the throne, Danearys knows it too.

Read this since you've read the last book
    George RR Martin confirmed jon Snow isn't dead
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Stannis = Richard III

Go sit down somewhere.

It's just a theory, however nothing will prepare you for what comes at the end of book 4 SMMFH.

No, part of what he said was a spoiler not conjecture.
    Aegon Targaryen being alive .
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know what the ? yall talmbout,
    all I know is
    Jon Snow>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jon Snow = Aragorn=Taran=Eomer=King Arthur
  • Maalik
    edited February 2014
    Options

Stannis = Richard III

Go sit down somewhere.

@Maalik

*spoiler alert for non-book readers - do not read if you dont want to ruin the experience*
    I think so too & I think you're right but don't forget Bran & Rickon tho. However, there's strong indication it might be one of the Greyjoys who wins the GoT... I see their family value being the future of Westeros (free will), even if they all die I think their ideology will live on long after every other House. It could be anyone but Aegon look like he might be the one. I think it's gonna be him in the end on the throne, Danearys knows it too.

@Sion
    I think Aegon is a fake.

There's historical precedent for this from the same English period he set the entire books on. Perkin Tarbeck claimed he was the royal prince that everybody thought was killed when he was a baby. Turned out he was a big fraud.

GRRM is so slick with it too. The warning Quaithe gave to Dany:
    The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.

Mummer's dragon = Fake dragon = Aegon Targaryen = a "prince" raised by Varys = a man who traveled with a group of mummers before moving to Westeros

I think Aegon is an impostor. I think Jon Snow is really Rhaegar's son, the Ice & Fire but, I don't think Jon sits on the Iron Throne. I don't think Jon takes Winterfell either. He won't take Rickon's birthright. I think the Wall comes down in the last battle and the LC of the Night's Watch/King Beyond The Wall becomes combined somehow and Jon Snow becomes the leader or he dies in the battle. Dany will sit on the Iron Throne as Queen Consort, have a Queensguard, etc or.....I could see the Seven Kingdoms actually going back to being Seven Kingdoms.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Mummer's dragon = Fake dragon = Aegon Targaryen = a "prince" raised by Varys = a man who traveled with a group of mummers before moving to Westeros

I think Aegon is an impostor. I think Jon Snow is really Rhaegar's son, the Ice & Fire but, I don't think Jon sits on the Iron Throne. I don't think Jon takes Winterfell either. He won't take Rickon's birthright. I think the Wall comes down in the last battle and the LC of the Night's Watch/King Beyond The Wall becomes combined somehow and Jon Snow becomes the leader or he dies in the battle. Dany will sit on the Iron Throne as Queen Consort, have a Queensguard, etc or.....I could see the Seven Kingdoms actually going back to being Seven Kingdoms.
    [spoilers]Interesting, but don't forget that Aegon never actually went after Dany. Right when they had made it to the point that they were going to make that trip, they decided to go to Westeros instead. So the prophecy could be speaking to another character, perhaps one not revealed yet. Also Aegon has hair and eye color that are supposedly unique to the Targaryens.[/spoilers]
    [/spoiler]
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can not wait for this ?
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited February 2014
    Options
    the chick who plays brienne talking at 9 mins is one of the funniest things i've ever seen in my life. ? goofy as ? .
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These MF done got huge. LOL.

99404a30-9216-11e3-b0b9-c9d8521a9029_GoT-Dragon.gif
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Now I wish I hadn't watched that preview. I needs to see this ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    At the risk of sounding nerdy, GoT dragons aren't dragons. They're wyverns.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    Options

Yeah............you sound nerdy...LOL.

• PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    I don't know why but that goat running away is hilarious to me. That goat was like "yo.....let me get my ass the ? out of here man"
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Yeah............you sound nerdy...LOL.

Hey, you don't play RPGs for damn near 20 years and not pick up on some of that ? .
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im kinda shocked to find out its so closed in as far as the inspiration. i always imagined it to be different houses representing clans or nations of medieval Europe b/c the world of Westeros is so big

Starks- Irish
    Lannisters- British
    Baratheons- Germans
    along those lines
    to know its all based on europe at one time is interesting
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This season for book readers....ooohh ? ! Its going down. Jamie getting his swag back with the left hand in the preview was dope.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yeah, I expect this season to be really good, but honestly I don't know about the following seasons.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    this ? needs to come out all at once like netflix. it's ? impossible to not get spoiled on ? by book readers. i went to my friend's & her bf was there & i walked in the kitchen & he was talking to his brother about how so & so dies & that they can't wait for how it shows on cam. i've been accidentally spoiled on half the damn season already i might have to just go ahead & read them long ass books so i don't go through life mad as ? everyday about seeing/hearing/reading some ? i'm not supposed to.
This discussion has been closed.