BLACK HISTORY QUESTION???

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Studying black American history without knowing African history is like studying a branch without knowing what tree it came from.

-- Oceanic
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Oceanic wrote: »
    Studying black American history without knowing African history is like studying a branch without knowing what tree it came from.

-- Oceanic

?
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    ^^ black history quote

Most of you say we have no connection with Africans but forget that our ancestors carried Africa over here with them. Our ancestors didn't get blasted by one of those men in black flash thingies and start on a clean slate, albeit they were prevented from openly displaying lot of African culture. There was a thread here pretty recently that said the same; Africans were hanged for practicing vodun, their native religion. That's an example there of African history creating African American history. You cannot possibly begin to understand your ancestors without knowing their origin. Vodun went on to take many forms in America such as new Orleans voodoo.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    Another example: American black music and dance has roots in African musical concepts. Peter Tosh said it best: no matter where you come from, if you're a black man, you're an African. This is not to say that brother and sister, father and mother do not have their own separate identities; we are, regardless, one family and should think that way.

sn: I know everybody has roots in Africa but the black experience is more immediate.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    Piyonce wrote: »

-- Oceanic

?

no thanks
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

-- Oceanic

GOATED for a great quote.

But the question is not based on not knowing African History, or ignoring, or forgetting African history.

The question is should that same African History be celebrated along side Black History as if they are one of the same, or should celebrated and/or taught separately?

Too add I know for many this has turned into a bash fest, but I am listening to both sides.

Knowing about our Black History here in America ( X, MLK, Heuy Newton, Bobby Seale, Fred Hampton, Etc) has always intrigued me more than leaning about African history (But I have studied that too). I guess the Black Experience in America resonates with me more.

Our African Roots are great and not to be forgotten EVER, but I don't consider them to be one in the same.

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    BIGG WILL wrote: »

-- Oceanic

GOATED for a great quote.

But the question is not based on not knowing African History, or ignoring, or forgetting African history.

The question is should that same African History be celebrated along side Black History as if they are one of the same, or should celebrated and/or taught separately?

Too add I know for many this has turned into a bash fest, but I am listening to both sides.

Knowing about our Black History here in America ( X, MLK, Heuy Newton, Bobby Seale, Fred Hampton, Etc) has always intrigued me more than leaning about African history (But I have studied that too). I guess the Black Experience in America resonates with me more.

Our African Roots are great and not to be forgotten EVER, but I don't consider them to be one in the same.

this
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    They don't have to be the same in order to be celebrated together. As stated earlier, regardless of our differences between either the u.s., Canada, Europe, Africa, or the islands or wherever we may be, we are all part of one immediate family. That is what I feel should be celebrated.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    One month may not be enough to cover all of the history between our African roots and our modern lives today but be honest: is one month enough time to cover every detail in American black history? I'll answer that. No. So it seems to me that the size of our history should not be a problem but the fact that we have such a rich family history should be praised.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    they're just separate bruh.....
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    What should be celebrated is the black mans contribution to society and the world regardless of his birth or his home. Take for example the book, World's Great Men of Color. It is a great teaching tool for black history studies because it showcases a variety of hands that have come to shape humanity. I think there is nothing wrong to expand your horizons during celebration of this month. Why limit yourself to just one continent? Are we not all black people?
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yes
    Du_Du wrote: »
    they're just separate bruh.....

Is that really enough to avoid considering them part of black history? We are not separate from our black family just because we were raised differently from them. That's like saying nobody should have a family reunion because the families are different.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Do Jewish Americans have a history that predates the holocaust?
  • Dupac
    Options
    No

they still practice jewish customs handed down through generations...

show me the handed down AFRICAN customs in the modern black american family
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Y'all been brainwashed. Whitey intended to separate you from your history now it's OK with you.

You weren't supposed to start over...
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

How was anything going to be handed down to you when part of their plan was to remove you from it and have you assimilate?

Do you realize how slavery worked?
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    but we did, and we developed a very strong story from it, a rich and beautiful history right here in america.....something worthy of being celebrated....
  • Meta_Conscious
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Yes

thats a function of u baboons not wanting to learn or nah?
    its 2014 and u ? don't use the information available for anything other than social media... kys
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    LPast wrote: »

How was anything going to be handed down to you when part of their plan was to remove you from it and have you assimilate?

Do you realize how slavery worked?

bruh, it ain't like when it was over ? went back to africa....we were forced to stay here, and forced to start a new history, one unique to our struggle....
    i don't see what's so difficult about that to grasp
  • Dupac
    Options
    No

thats a function of u baboons not wanting to learn or nah?
    its 2014 and u ? don't use the information available for anything other than social media... kys

we can learn about africa all day long, but that don't make it OUR history....

i know plenty of people who did those genealogy tests to learn about where in africa most of their descendants come from and studied their culture and what not,

and that's cool n all, but that don't make it our history...

i've chilled with actual african families.....their ? is real.....it's genuine.....americans trying to grab something cuz of some lost sense of attachment look silly as ? in comparison......

especially considering all the ? that happened right here on american soil that we can more relate to
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Yes
    no u ? look silly. u ? who think your history starts with captivity look like fools.
    u ? are anti-intellectual.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    so the ? rocking random american designed dashiki's, speaking swahili from off a damn kwanzaa calendar, and eating greens and pig feet...talking about it's a black history month celebration don't look silly as ? ???
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Yes
    so the ? rocking random american designed dashiki's, speaking swahili from off a damn kwanzaa calendar, and eating greens and pig feet...talking about it's a black history month celebration don't look silly as ? ???

I don't know anyone like that.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No

I don't know anyone like that.

rofl, i'm done yo.....
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Darxwell wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Unless you want to go into what tribes blacks came from and what regions and why certain tribes decided to sell off other tribes from Africa then it has little to do with the black American experience.

Africa is a very SMALL part of African-American history. It is simply the place our ancestors came from. Once they left Africa a whole new identity was formed. Like it or not black Americans have little to do with Africa.

Just ask Africans. They cant stand your black ass for the most part.

Agreed. But Africa has a great deal to do with Black Americans.

How so, other than it being where we were kidnapped from? That makes it relevant but lets not pretend it goes any deeper than "thats where we were kidnapped from...thats where Arab traders sold us after wars, etc."

I'm saying though, the fact that we originate from there ain't something that can be easily tossed aside. Seems like we actively TRY to forget our heritage. Like when you mention the fact that your ancestors were from Africa, people scrunch their faces up and be like '? ? all that! My ancestors are from the Eastside, B!'.

You can't really dismiss the origins of EVERYTHING you are at your core...no matter how hard people try.