BLACK HISTORY QUESTION???

Options

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Somehow this became an 'either...or' conversation. Like you can't celebrate both aspects.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    obama-with-black-grandmother-sort-of-small11.jpg

article-1299403-0A95C4F8000005DC-339_634x397.jpg

Your current President visiting his hometown in the 80s

7+Wedding+Miriam+Makeba&Stokely+Carmichael_1968_copyright+Johnson+Publishing+Company.jpg

ture.gif

kwame2.gif?itok=7fKvOEvG

One of the founding fathers of the Black Panther Party and fighter of racial oppression in America who relocated to Africa ..

I've read both their biographies ..

This actually helps to prove his point that it's 1. not wide spread and 2. not done often by folks who don't have direct (as in 1 or 2 generations removed) links to specific countries, tribes etc. in Africa
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    blackrain wrote: »

7+Wedding+Miriam+Makeba&Stokely+Carmichael_1968_copyright+Johnson+Publishing+Company.jpg

ture.gif

kwame2.gif?itok=7fKvOEvG

One of the founding fathers of the Black Panther Party and fighter of racial oppression in America who relocated to Africa ..

This actually helps to prove his point that it's 1. not wide spread and 2. not done often by folks who don't have direct (as in 1 or 2 generations removed) links to specific countries, tribes etc. in Africa

I disagree. This was just an example. Going back to Africa or identifying doesn't mean a person has to literally pack their bags and move. One can go back to Africa by simply adopting various forms of African culture and injecting the culture into their lives here in America.

There have been many African oriented organizations here America urging us to reconnect or stay connected. This isn't a new concept. Marcus Garvey being one of the most recognized people to spread this idea.

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I try not to blame some of you black Americans for still thinking that America is your country.

I mean, you guys are brainwashed into pledging your allegiance to the Stars and Stripes from a young age in school.

Like to be called African American but don't want to acknowledge the "African" part ass ? ..

Your ancestors struggle didn't begin when the first banana boat landed.

I've always got the impression that black people outside of America tend to have this view that black Americans think they are better than other blacks. Some of the logic in this thread is the reason why.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Yes
    DNB1 wrote: »
    I try not to blame some of you black Americans for still thinking that America is your country.

I mean, you guys are brainwashed into pledging your allegiance to the Stars and Stripes from a young age in school.

Like to be called African American but don't want to acknowledge the "African" part ass ? ..

I've always got the impression that black people outside of America tend to have this view that black Americans think they are better than other blacks. Some of the logic in this thread is the reason why.

I don't think Blacks in America think they are better. I think many just believe there aren't similarities in the culture. Which, I believe is, simply because of our education system.

• gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Yo I just remembered something.
    Earlier I said I never had a problem with an African, WRONG.
    Man 1 day I was playing football(soccer)
    I was about to score a goal and the defender on the other team bad-tackled the ? out of me from behind, straight swept my feet from under me.....I was about to ? that ? . All for a goal, smh

We ain't fight though.
    Ish got defused, ? apologized profusely.
    And everything was cool.......u know, cause we all brothers at the, end of the day.
  • blackrain
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

ture.gif

kwame2.gif?itok=7fKvOEvG

I disagree. This was just an example. Going back to Africa or identifying doesn't mean a person has to literally pack their bags and move. One can go back to Africa by simply adopting various forms of African culture and injecting the culture into their lives here in America.

There have been many African oriented organizations here America urging us to reconnect or stay connected. This isn't a new concept. Marcus Garvey being one of the most recognized people to spread this idea.

Thing is though in this instance an example doesn't really dispute what's been said from Du's pov. I also agree that Black History, especially as it's taught in America, shouldn't begin with slavery but I also don't think that the accomplishments and strides made by Black Americans should be overlooked either. It seems like there's such a want to constantly identify with the struggle that people would much rather hear and be constantly told about the negative state of blacks in America instead of just taking a moment to stop and say there's been some serious ? done by black folks in this country. As if appreciating that somehow means you're not aware of the struggles that still need to be overcome.

Also, even though Marcus Garvey was at the forefront of a movement to get black Americans back to Africa let's not pretend as if all Black Americans welcome the different African cultures with open arms. Many speak of Africa like it's one large country instead of a continent with thousands of different languages/dialects and different cultures among the different countries and tribes there. Like it's been quoted in here one of the most well known movie lines in black cinema history for a whole generation is "I ain't from Africa I'm from Crenshaw Mafia"..
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    we ain't the same
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think Blacks in America think they are better. I think many just believe there aren't similarities in the culture. Which, I believe is, simply because of our education system.

That's another thing...why do black Americans think they are so culturally different to black people elsewhere?

I've never understood that. I'd even go so far to say that the only difference would be ? black America has picked up from white America.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No

That's another thing...why do black Americans think they are so culturally different to black people elsewhere?

I've never understood that. I'd even go so far to say that the only difference would be ? black America has picked up from white America.

because we have a unique struggle that identifies us as a people.....

i'm very proud of being black, and I'm constantly bigging up the accomplishments and strides that blacks have made in this country......

I'm not trying to knock african's or any other people of color, i'm just saying we're not one in the same.......
    that's my whole argument bruh......

the black american is it's own people...we have our own mind set, our own story, our own history that's not shared with anyone else....

we're our own people...and i don't see the need to group us in with anyone else
  • blackrain
    Options

Because like it or not most people identify culturally with the country they grew up in. Seeing as how Black Americans grew up in America, they tend to have an American mindset on things. There's certain cultural things you will only get in America from black folks just like there's certain things you only get from black folks in the caribbean/latin america etc. It's not a bad thing to say there's a difference in black folks across the globe in some cases. It just means people in different parts of the world have different ways of doing thing
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

Because like it or not most people identify culturally with the country they grew up in. Seeing as how Black Americans grew up in America, they tend to have an American mindset on things. There's certain cultural things you will only get in America from black folks just like there's certain things you only get from black folks in the caribbean/latin america etc. It's not a bad thing to say there's a difference in black folks across the globe in some cases. It just means people in different parts of the world have different ways of doing thing

of course there are difference because we live in different countries. Dudu is arguing that there is no connection between africans and african americans
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

of course there are difference because we live in different countries. Dudu is arguing that there is no connection between africans and african americans
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    yo i swear on everything....if it was normal for black people in america to have african relatives in their family gatherings...my entire perspective would change.....

if i had some great uncles or great aunts who used to visit, or my people would go over to visit from time to time...then i'd be like....yea we're all one in the same....

but the ? just don't go like that.....yea barack obama, whose father is directly from africa has that connect......or my homeboy who's expecting his first child soon, has that connect...? we went to his baby shower....half the people there were in straight african attire, the other half were in mexican......funny ? , cuz he having a baby with a mexican chick....

but the the whole thing is... both them have legitimate africans and mexicans in their family....people from their homeland....i can understand him considering himself an african american...or when his son is born being an african american.....he gonna have several africans at every family gathering.....

there's just a difference man....but i'm being repetitive so imma try to just leave this alone... we already got it fixed in our minds what we gonna beleive
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Yes

ture.gif

kwame2.gif?itok=7fKvOEvG

Thing is though in this instance an example doesn't really dispute what's been said from Du's pov. I also agree that Black History, especially as it's taught in America, shouldn't begin with slavery but I also don't think that the accomplishments and strides made by Black Americans should be overlooked either. It seems like there's such a want to constantly identify with the struggle that people would much rather hear and be constantly told about the negative state of blacks in America instead of just taking a moment to stop and say there's been some serious ? done by black folks in this country. As if appreciating that somehow means you're not aware of the struggles that still need to be overcome.

Also, even though Marcus Garvey was at the forefront of a movement to get black Americans back to Africa let's not pretend as if all Black Americans welcome the different African cultures with open arms. Many speak of Africa like it's one large country instead of a continent with thousands of different languages/dialects and different cultures among the different countries and tribes there. Like it's been quoted in here one of the most well known movie lines in black cinema history for a whole generation is "I ain't from Africa I'm from Crenshaw Mafia"..

I believe I have said all that you have said. Du's pov is his choice. And I respect that. I asked the brother to not falsify history by saying things such as "the Black Mans history began with slavery". This is simply inaccurate. I even agreed with Du that African culture and Black American culture are different. However, they are also similar. To what degree or percentage? I don't really care to measure. However, others can if they like. I choose to simplify these types of happenings. I don't see the benefit in excluding either History. Although, I see the missteps that could occur when excluding one for another or in the worse case both.

I just don't see how a Black person in America can argue for Black American History while dismissing African History past and present. I mean what is the difference between Mandela and Martin? What is the difference between Fred Hampton or Steven Biko? Fela Kuti or Harry Belefonte? In regards to the struggle, fight and progression for people of color and African descent.

I believe it's all relative. I think the differences among Africans is well understand to those to who study. Just as there are differences among Black Americans from the south and north. But as a northerner to deny my southern roots because, I grew up eating a non-pork diet and preferring Malcolm to Martin would be asinine.

I don't think as intelligent Black Men we should be quoting ignorance from movies. Many of which, don't have our best interest in mind to begin with.

700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    zombie wrote: »
    700 wrote: »
    700 wrote: »
    it's called black history month not african american history month so it is correct to study the history of all black peoples not just african americans.

I ain't tryin to study ? bout no black ass Haitian

? that

"Strickly 4 my ? "

? don't you ever quote me again you are to stupid to talk too

I'm just bringing some common sense to the conversation

I wanna learn about ? who.turned they chains to gold and helped some ? out

not the ? ass ? in Africa who ain't put up a fight and let us get took, or a island ?

? don't quote me you are one of the most igorant fools on here and you think it's funny but it's not. I have no respect for you now ? off.

why I gotta be ignorant

cause I cuss a lot to get my point across and dumb my posts down so anybody can understand

you a ? , already intimidated of a ? and these just words

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kai wrote: »
    essence

That's the word .. .
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Yes
    Du_Du wrote: »
    yo i swear on everything....if it was normal for black people in america to have african relatives in their family gatherings...my entire perspective would change.....

if i had some great uncles or great aunts who used to visit, or my people would go over to visit from time to time...then i'd be like....yea we're all one in the same....

but the ? just don't go like that.....yea barack obama, whose father is directly from africa has that connect......or my homeboy who's expecting his first child soon, has that connect...? we went to his baby shower....half the people there were in straight african attire, the other half were in mexican......funny ? , cuz he having a baby with a mexican chick....

but the the whole thing is... both them have legitimate africans and mexicans in their family....people from their homeland....i can understand him considering himself an african american...or when his son is born being an african american.....he gonna have several africans at every family gathering.....

there's just a difference man....but i'm being repetitive so imma try to just leave this alone... we already got it fixed in our minds what we gonna beleive

You are comparing apples to space ships here. You don't need an immediate relative active in your daily to identify with African Culture. This is just plain silly. The fact is you are of African descent whether it's via 30th generation or 2nd generation.

Do you have to identify because of this? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! But your argument has to be the weakest argument I have ever come across for not engaging oneself in African culture. I promise I say this respectfully.

And just for ? and giggles. The African brother needs to school his Mexican wife on her African ancestry. "the Black grandma in the closet" goes into depth on the topic. As well as their being one of if not the largest African Slave trade ports in Mexico.

We know there is a difference but you are failing to research or do the knowledge on the similarities.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    kai, you're cool peoples... we've talked about this issue a lot....even in pm's before.....

but even with all that.....i still think that as a whole we're two different people...

i mean it's great that we can get along in instances, and it's beautiful that you and your husband were able to get past a lot of that....cuz i remember you saying before your family wasn't initially receptive because he wasn't somali

but i still feel that black americans are unique people of their own characteristics, culture, and history.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    Yes

While true. The ONLY reason we don't identify with African Culture and history is because, it's not taught in School. Hell Black American Culture and history isn't taught in school beyond MLK.

With that said. If you have parents that have a world view from a black perspective then the children will have a world view that is the same. And in other cases Blacks get exposed to a different frame of reference when they go to college and begin to come in contact with perspective on Black History throughout the world.

• Dupac
    Options
    No

While true. The ONLY reason we don't identify with African Culture and history is because, it's not taught in School. Hell Black American Culture and history isn't taught in school beyond MLK.

With that said. If you have parents that have a world view from a black perspective then the children will have a world view that is the same. And in other cases Blacks get exposed to a different frame of reference when they go to college and begin to come in contact with perspective on Black History throughout the world.
    i strongly disagree.....

we learned a ? load about black american culture and african culture in school....well atleast i did......

and this was all levels of schooling......and again, because of my first name, i've been exposed to a lot more just by association....

to say school is the only reason is highly inaccurate......

my opinion is a mixture of my personal experinces and my exposure to the arts...
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Yes
    kai wrote: »
    nah... g'head and name an ethnic group that only considers its history in America as their heritage... we'll wait...

oh you mean like how japanese americans separate their history after internment from that of people in japan?

/:)
    lol, bruh,

we're not the same....you tryna force yourself on a people who don't even ? with you....

i don't get that...

i mean it's one thing to trace your roots and learn the culture of a people...in all purposes, that's great..commendable...i love learning about different cultures and practices...but that's exactly what it is to me.. a DIFFERENT culture....

they got their ? ...we got ours.....

we are the same, or at least MUCH more similar than we are different. don't you see that this ? is propaganda to turn each group against the other? africa is a huge continent, with all types of people, but why is it when they come here, people from 57 some odd countries can stick together but then look at african-americans as separate or different from them?

it's because of the the image of african-americans that is portrayed to the world, and on y'all end, you are being fed your own distorted image of what africans are like. so both parties are approaching each other with misleading first impressions.

you talk about things like jazz and literature and art that african-americans contributed to this country, but you don't think what made the art so great was the influences that were left behind from african culture?

don't let your negative experiences with a few misguided people lead you into thinking that we are really different or that there is real animosity there, because i could've easily believed that myself going off of how some african-americans have treated me. but people's ignorances are not telling of any real truths

my husband was born and raised in america and i only came here when i was ten, even though he may not have a distinctly different culture or language, i honestly feel like he, in essence, is just as african as i am while i feel i am as much a black person in america like he is.

sorry for the long post, this issue is near and dear to my heart. i just know if we all did more to look past our differences to find our common ground we'd all be better off

Excellent addition to the discussion. Many Africans that come to America quickly come to the understanding that they are Black. And although, I have never been to Africa many of my immediate family has, as well as friends and many while siting differences all have felt welcomed as Africans upon their visits.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And there you have it.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

because we have a unique struggle that identifies us as a people.....

name one struggle that we have here that is unique to us

dealing with these crackas still to this day