BLACK HISTORY QUESTION???

Options

Comments

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I get it your American. But that doesn't mean you need to be Captain America.

If you know your history you would know when it was appropriate to wear the traditional clothing.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Yes
    LPast wrote: »

If you know your history you would know when it was appropriate to wear the traditional clothing.

these "American Blacks" wouldn't bust a grape for this country tho...which is doubly funny.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    LPast wrote: »

these "American Blacks" wouldn't bust a grape for this country tho...which is doubly funny.

sheeeed.. i i had a choice between fighting or letting another country invade....

i'd be american as ? bruh

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I have a hard time saying I'm American with any sort of pride. Lol.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Miss me with that "you ? are just so stupid and lost you don't care about your African roots" ? .

Most people period only care about the most relevant details of their cultural/racial history. The most relevant details that contributed to who I am and the society I grew up in, started in North America during the transatlantic slave trade.

No offense to my roots and history back on the dark continent, but my identity as a Black man is far more important and substantial.

This ? isn't even unique to Black Americans. Most AMERICANS period feel a greater sense of identity and belonging with their post American history, customs, and culture (especially if their family has been here for awhile).
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So many disappointing statements from my Black American brothers in here. A lot of unnecessary posturing. I don't get it.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Miss me with that "you ? are just so stupid and lost you don't care about your African roots" ? .

Most people period only care about the most relevant details of their cultural/racial history. The most relevant details that contributed to who I am and the society I grew up in, started in North America during the transatlantic slave trade.

No offense to my roots and history back on the dark continent, but my identity as a Black man is far more important and substantial.

This ? isn't even unique to Black Americans. Most AMERICANS period feel a greater sense of identity and belonging with their post American history, customs, and culture (especially if their family has been here for awhile).

What identity? If you remove the african from african american you people don't have a culture or indentity of your own. Everything that's not african about you you got from europeans.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    ? is sad man, I was really wondering if ? was trolling too but nope. Some of y'all really do feel this way.

? it we all still brothers from the same mother(Africa). I ain't mad atcha
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Dudu you sound so ignorant
  • Knives Amilli
    Options
    nah... g'head and name an ethnic group that only considers its history in America as their heritage... we'll wait...

When did I say only the American part matters? I said its the most important, the most relevant. For example: Vince Lombardi is the most important/relevant coach in Packers history, but he isn't the entirety or only important part of their history.

And to answer your question:

Most of the people i've known who were Irish, German, Polish, jews who were here pre-WW2 all are extremely prideful and knowledgeable of what their families did AFTER arriving in the US and not much else before. . For families that have been here awhile, coming to America is the definitive moment in their families history given that WE LIVE IN THE ? STATES.

The city I live in has a huge German population and most of them only know about their families roots here.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Yes
    this is so stupid... I'm glad my ppls history doesn't begin with slavery. thats jive pathetic.
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    this is so stupid... I'm glad my ppls history doesn't begin with slavery. thats jive pathetic.

You keep saying this, but its been stated over and over again that, that is not the concept of the question.

• Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Yes
    If it's not a part of your history than when does your history begin?
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Du you and folk like you are some jolly ? .

Its sad as ? that your really feel what you typing man. ? .

I mean the situation of black america is something to celebrate? With standards like that i see why some folk are in the situation they are in. You in here sounding like a ? KKK member.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    zombie wrote: »
    700 wrote: »
    it's called black history month not african american history month so it is correct to study the history of all black peoples not just african americans.

I ain't tryin to study ? bout no black ass Haitian

? that

"Strickly 4 my ? "

? don't you ever quote me again you are to stupid to talk too

I'm just bringing some common sense to the conversation

I wanna learn about ? who.turned they chains to gold and helped some ? out

not the ? ass ? in Africa who ain't put up a fight and let us get took, or a island ?

• Knives Amilli
    Options

I mean the situation of black america is something to celebrate?
    With standards like that i see why some folk are in the situation they are in. You in here sounding like a ? KKK member.

To act as if nothing has been achieved, to act as if its all doom and gloom is disrespectful, cynical, and defeatist.

Not one time has ? up in here that ? was all perfectly all good. But ? am I supposed to ? on the achievements that my people have accomplished in the midst of constant struggle just for the sake of some warped sense of pride and focus? It doesn't have to be like that.

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Everything that the black man has is because of the European here in America to say that we fought for something with no army no weapons no land no resources is stupid. Hell everything we do as a people benefits the white man more then us. You wake up go to your job for the white man you pay your taxas to the white man you speak his language and you have his names. Tell me what exactly what do I need to be proud of in black history month if you start here I. America
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    No
    If it's not a part of your history than when does your history begin?

That's not what I am saying at all. You good.

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    it's called black history month not african american history month so it is correct to study the history of all black peoples not just african americans.

I ain't tryin to study ? bout no black ass Haitian

? that

"Strickly 4 my ? "

? don't you ever quote me again you are to stupid to talk too

I'm just bringing some common sense to the conversation

I wanna learn about ? who.turned they chains to gold and helped some ? out

not the ? ass ? in Africa who ain't put up a fight and let us get took, or a island ?

? don't quote me you are one of the most igorant fools on here and you think it's funny but it's not. I have no respect for you now ? off.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the purpose of black history month?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    "I ain't from Africa, I'm from Crenshaw Mafia!"

A real ?
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    No
    Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month in America, is an annual observance in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom for remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African diaspora. It is celebrated annually in the United States and Canada in February and the United Kingdom in October.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

I mean the situation of black america is something to celebrate? With standards like that i see why some folk are in the situation they are in. You in here sounding like a ? KKK member.

bruh, i've been a music student since 3rd grade.....

jazz is one of the greatest gifts given to the world...and it was given to the world from blacks who once freed from slavery....that along with some of the greatest poetry ever written..some of the greatest songs ever sung....

besides all the activist and the civil rights wars....some of the most beautiful art the world knows has come from the black american....

before you sit there and judge someone for saying black history in america is something to celebrate think about all the struggle those people went through and were still able to make major contributions that reshaped the way of the world today....

my whole thing is that the black man in america is it's own story....it's a history that stands alone....

it's not one in the same with African history.....it would be one thing if the whole continent of Africa came over to america to be slaves....

but they didn't...they have their story, we have ours.....there's a difference bruh...