BLACK HISTORY QUESTION???

Options

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    more so from my personal experience on this entire thing.
    I have an African name...a very distinctive African name......whenever I come across Africans who recognize my name, mostly people from Mali....they feel an obligation to let me know that I'm not an African, they always have an arrogant smirk on their faces, cuz they know that someone gave me an African name trying to be African, when it's obvious that I have nothing to do with their culture.....

I've seen and dealt with this my entire life, simply because I can't deny my name, it's what i was given at birth.....so my experience has been very very different. I've gotten so many looks of disgust and rejection from Africans, simply because they look at me like i stole something simply by having the name I do...so i feel like i have a different insight on the separation a lot more than other people do.

a dude came to my mail room earlier this week to mail something to Mali, and i notice his last name was my first name...and I lie to you not it almost turned into an argument because he felt like i stole my name from his people.....

dude basically accused me of stealing my name.....simply because i was not born in Mali, i have no family from Mali,

i told him that my parents looked through a African name book, and liked the name.....if we weren't in a professional setting i guarantee he woulda spat on me right then......

if we're all one in the same....how does someone take it to that point?

like i said from the jump...we're different....
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    u should've swung on them ? ... ijs
    your DNA can be traced to a specific tribe, so how a funky cab driving ass ? gonna tell u whats what?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Yeah I've noticed people from mali tend to be ? . But it's still black history month not african american history month and black is a term that signifies all negrow people.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    it wasn't just one person.. but multiple people..

we're just different, i've seen it all my life...

when i used to work at the airport for TSA we were required to wear a name tag with our first names on it....

i never forget the look of disgust and despair i always got from African flyers when they came to me with a question, and realized i was american....

they'd run up to me, see my name tag, and just assume i'm african....so whenever i tried to help them, and they heard no accent....they'd just stare at me..and walk away.....

not once have i ever met someone who was legitimately from Mali, Niger or Nigeria and was cool with me having my name....

they've all HATED that ? .....and the only explanation is that they know we're different and they hate that black americans try to be like them
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Yes
    there is an assumption that what I'm saying means that African have to b on board... nah, ? them ? if they feel some type of way.
    Ive had my run-ins with them dudes in academia... they some ? ? ... that don't mean we aint African. that don't mean we don't share a common lineage.
    I'll choke the ? out of them "Im a doctor and a t-shirt salesman" ass ? ...
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    lol, bruh,

we're not the same....you tryna force yourself on a people who don't even ? with you....

i don't get that...

i mean it's one thing to trace your roots and learn the culture of a people...in all purposes, that's great..commendable...i love learning about different cultures and practices...but that's exactly what it is to me.. a DIFFERENT culture....

they got their ? ...we got ours.....

• Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Yes
    we are different, but I'll b damned if a ? try to deny me my history.
    ppl respect force, my brother...
  • Dupac
    Options
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I have had mostly positive experiences with africans.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Du u in your office kicking tf out of them boxes but u let that mali muhfucka try to style on u? Smh

Having some bad interactions with Africans doesn't really have anything to do with acknowledging all of our history though.

cs zombie I can't think of 1 time ever having a problem with an African..

lol u cats really don't be getting along.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no problem whatsoever with Afro/Black Americans ..

And I have no problem with any Afro/Black American taking up an African name ..

Once again, generalisations used in this thread
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    separate stories,
    separate people
    separate histories
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Yes
    so your history begins with slavery? lol
  • Dupac
    edited February 2014
    Options
    No
    the story of the black man in america begins with slavery...

yes
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Du_Du wrote: »

yes

This makes no sense what so ever. Considering the Black Men in America during slavery were indeed Africans. Just like the Black Men in Jamaica were African, the Black Men in South America were African so on and so forth.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

yes

This makes no sense what so ever. Considering the Black Men in America during slavery were indeed Africans. Just like the Black Men in Jamaica were African, the Black Men in South America were African so on and so forth.

how does it make no sense whatsoever??

Africa didn't die when slaves came over to America.....they went on.....

the slaves that came here have a unique story that the ones who stayed DO NOT SHARE.....

it's not like black americans went back to africa...it's not like we have family reunions over there...

all ties were cut....a new people were created...i have no idea how that ? is so difficult for ? to understand.....

i could see if your average black family was like "yea, i gotta uncle from the motherland coming over this weekend"

naw bruh..that ? don't exist, cuz we don't have that type of relation....

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Black Americans did leave the us tho. Look up Liberia Sierra Leone black nova Scotland back to africa movement Web Dubois Lincoln Dominican Republic plan etc.

Saying your history starts at slavery shows that u have an inferiority complex. No other ethnic group would say that
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    Black Americans did leave the us tho. Look up Liberia Sierra Leone black nova Scotland back to africa movement Web Dubois Lincoln Dominican Republic plan etc.

Saying your history starts at slavery shows that u have an inferiority complex. No other ethnic group would say that

inferiority complex???

I do not consider myself inferior to an African, nor do I consider them inferior to me.

we're just different.

those who went back, i have nothing but props for them. that's beautiful and a great part of their family history i'm sure. but let's not pretend that was a wide scale movement. the fact that your average black family in america has no ties to and african culture speaks for itself.

there's not handed down practiced african customs in the average black family. no native african languages being spoken in our homes. no relatives visiting back and forth.

i'm not ignorant to the point where this may exist in some families..but it's not something that's a norm in the black american culture here in america.....

yall want so bad for it to all be the same... bt it's not.....

honestly i'm done on the subject, cuz yall just arguing to be arguing....it's a fairly simple concept.....but yalll not getting it cuz yall don't want to get it......

yall go right ahead and celebrate african culture as part of your history,, and i'll go right on ahead and continue to celebrate the accomplishments of blacks overcoming adversity right here in america. because to me that's the story that most accurately represents my history....the history of the black man in america
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    obama-with-black-grandmother-sort-of-small11.jpg

article-1299403-0A95C4F8000005DC-339_634x397.jpg

Your current President visiting his hometown in the 80s

7+Wedding+Miriam+Makeba&Stokely+Carmichael_1968_copyright+Johnson+Publishing+Company.jpg

ture.gif

kwame2.gif?itok=7fKvOEvG

One of the founding fathers of the Black Panther Party and fighter of racial oppression in America who relocated to Africa ..

I've read both their biographies ..
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Yes

yes

the slaves that came here have a unique story that the ones who stayed DO NOT SHARE.....

it's not like black americans went back to africa...it's not like we have family reunions over there...

all ties were cut....a new people were created...i have no idea how that ? is so difficult for ? to understand.....

i could see if your average black family was like "yea, i gotta uncle from the motherland coming over this weekend"

Your point that Africa didn't die makes even less sense. The story of Slavery begins in Africa not America. As this is where slaves were rounded up and shipped from. The point of origin is Africa. This isn't debatable.

While it's absolutely your choice to dismiss African History as your own. To make claims that the story of the Black Man begins in America is inaccurate and contrary to ALL history. Be it written by Blacks, Whites. or a drunkard.

I agree there are differences in African Culture and Black American culture. Which, in many cases wasn't by choice. However, there are certainly similarities. Which, leaves us as descendants to put the pieces back together however we see fit.

• blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Du, while i hear what you trying to say man.

Facts is facts and history is history, you dont TRY to be african, you ARE african.

How can you let anyone, be it a racist white or a stuck up black...tell you that you arent african?!

The ? disgusting.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Yes

inferiority complex???

I do not consider myself inferior to an African, nor do I consider them inferior to me.

we're just different.

those who went back, i have nothing but props for them. that's beautiful and a great part of their family history i'm sure. but let's not pretend that was a wide scale movement. the fact that your average black family in america has no ties to and african culture speaks for itself.

there's not handed down practiced african customs in the average black family. no native african languages being spoken in our homes. no relatives visiting back and forth.

i'm not ignorant to the point where this may exist in some families..but it's not something that's a norm in the black american culture here in america.....

honestly i'm done on the subject, cuz yall just arguing to be arguing....it's a fairly simple concept.....but yalll not getting it cuz yall don't want to get it......

yall go right ahead and celebrate african culture as part of your history,, and i'll go right on ahead and continue to celebrate the accomplishments of blacks overcoming adversity right here in america. because to me that's the story that most accurately represents my history....the history of the black man in america

If I am reading many of the posts correctly. Many of us are doing both. I don't believe I have read where someone is foregoing their Black American History for African History. I agree with your point that Black American History is a more accurate representation of our History here in America. However, colonization, genocide, miseducation, racism, and death is something that Blacks\Africans all share as History. And perhaps our African ancestors History of spirituality, innovation, Kindness and Knowledge has allowed us all throughout the diaspora to survive, and reinvent ourselves several times over. In fact I know this is the truth considering that Black Men and Women have created new cultures in every nook and cranny we were dropped off as slaves around the globe.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    Yes
    I'd suggest you brothers and sisters that enjoy African History check out "the Black Grandma in the closet". It's a series by professor Gates. Good Stuff.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Yes

inferiority complex???

we're just different.

you made several posts talking about how because of the size of Africa, your history would be "dwarfed", which sounds as if you feel inferior, even if African-American history is more widely taught, recorded, known, and accessible than African history

you then tell a story about being made fun of/made uncomfortable by Africans from the continent, which leads me to think that you again felt inferior

Black=all with substantial African ancestry so "Black History Month" should include learning the history of all black peoples

Then you say blacks in america have no ties to africa- So Black Americans are fully integrated, assimilated people? Do you feel more comfortable/have more in common with a WASP from Boston then a Jamaican or Nigerian?

Black Americans have several cultural norms/ties/traditions/other things with roots in Africa.

1) pYH6W0B7289PW.jpg

Look at yourself. Look at your wife. You African b.

2) There are historical examples of Africans in America keeping their traditions including the Geechee of the Carolinas and Georgia

Short background: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/07/world/africa/gullah-geechee-africa-slavery-america/

Famous Geechee people:
    436px-Clarence_Thomas_official_SCOTUS_portrait.jpg

3) How you talk: Ebonics/AAVE is a decreolized version of the pidgin Africans in America spoke

Spoken Word/Oral Tradition is a tradition shared by all in the diaspora

additionally,

yes

Your point that Africa didn't die makes even less sense. The story of Slavery begins in Africa not America. As this is where slaves were rounded up and shipped from. The point of origin is Africa. This isn't debatable.

While it's absolutely your choice to dismiss African History as your own. To make claims that the story of the Black Man begins in America is inaccurate and contrary to ALL history. Be it written by Blacks, Whites. or a drunkard.

I agree there are differences in African Culture and Black American culture. Which, in many cases wasn't by choice. However, there are certainly similarities. Which, leaves us as descendants to put the pieces back together however we see fit.

4) African-American music. that should be self explanatory

the history of the black diaspora is linked and all aspects should be celebrated

you want to separate yourself because of your personal experiences and as a result of the successful conditioning of black people in America by white elites