Clippers Owner Donald Sterling To GirlFriend - Don't Bring Black People To My Games (AUDIO/PIX)

Options

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can just google donald sterling + racist And set up to show results from everything before this week. The info was definitely out there
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know who also lost in all this?

Blank.

If sterling said ? australia, he may very well have committed suicide.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    I've been an NBA fan since I was a kid in the early 90's and I never knew about Sterling's history. IDK why ppl keep putting the idea out there that any fan of the NBA was well aware of Sterling's history. I watch the game. I typically don't know anything about the owners other than their first and last names.

just fans of the NBA? No.

But players, analysts, businessmen black and white, and many in the nba teams offices seemed to know.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @tha_bride22‌, wanna put our money together to try to buy the Clippers?
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    Cuban almost had me fooled. After seeing his ? interview he a typical cac too. scust.

What did he say?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10854381/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-rails-donald-sterling-not-favor-kicking-owner
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

I don't think that a persons's private thoughts once made public should be off limits for legislation if that persons is in a position of power and is blatanly anti-black. Actions while important can still be misconstrued and twisted by the media but private thoughts show who you are on a deeper level.

Being anti-black is not a crime though. So there is no legal punishment for that. The only reason it's an issue for sports and such is because the industry depends on fan support. So Sterling being a racist is a bad look for the NBA and gives them incentive to try and do something to get rid of him. But from a more general standpoint, you can't use the law or rules to force someone not to be a bigot. The best you can do is make it so they can't use their bigotry to mistreat others and then punish them if they do.

It might seem crazy, but that's just how it is. Like, you're a business owner right, I forgot if you are or not. But say you have a white employee, and you find out that he's a racist because of things he said away from the job. You could fire him for being a racist, and if he accepts that and leaves without a word, it's all good. However, if he decided to sue you for wrongful termination or whatever it's called, you'd have to actually show proof that his racism took away from his work or negatively impacted the business. That can be hard to do.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    companies have moral clauses in contracts, rules and guidelines all the time
    People get fired for what they post on Facebook all the time
  • BrideofKilla
    BrideofKilla Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    @tha_bride22‌, wanna put our money together to try to buy the Clippers?

Tf they need two teams for anyways?

I say we rob his old ass and make him sign them over to us before he conveniently disappears...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

Why is this ? so hard to understand?

There is a difference between you doing something immoral or illegal, capturing the act, and then putting it on a public forum and simply holding unpopular and/or wrong beliefs. Lots of companies have policies about how you have to represent yourself in public, but I don't know of any companies that have rules that dictate what kind of beliefs you can and cannot hold. A company can say you can't promote racist ideology. They can't say you can't be racist.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a difference between you doing something immoral or illegal, capturing the act, and then putting it on a public forum and simply holding unpopular and/or wrong beliefs. Lots of companies have policies about how you have to represent yourself in public, but I don't know of any companies that have rules that dictate what kind of beliefs you can and cannot hold. A company can say you can't promote racist ideology. They can't say you can't be racist.

But no one is telling Donald Sterling he can't be racist. The problem came when he made comments displaying that racism and they became public.

It's fair game at that point.
  • Matt-
    Options

Sure they can. If me and a coworker were going to eat lunch and I told him/her they couldn't invite a black person or not to bring a black person in my office- I wouldn't even last the rest of the day
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    But no one is telling Donald Sterling he can't be racist. The problem came when he made comments displaying that racism and they became public.

Yes, but it's more fair game because of the overall affect it's having on the league. They can act based on them, but they can't really punish him for being a racist. If that was the case they could have acted a long time ago which honestly they might have done if they could have given that he's not only a racist but a ? owner in general.
    Matt- wrote: »

Sure they can. If me and a coworker were going to eat lunch and I told him/her they couldn't invite a black person or not to bring a black person in my office- I wouldn't even last the rest of the day

Yes, you can absolutely punish discriminatory behavior. That's different from trying to punish racist views that are only expressed in private away from the workplace or any arena where you'd be conceivably be representing your employer or affecting your employees.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, but it's more fair game because of the overall affect it's having on the league. They can act based on them, but they can't really punish him for being a racist. If that was the case they could have acted a long time ago which honestly they might have done if they could have given that he's not only a racist but a ? owner in general.

Yes, you can absolutely punish discriminatory behavior. That's different from trying to punish racist views that are only expressed in private away from the workplace or any arena where you'd be conceivably be representing your employer or affecting your employees.

Gotcha. I thought you were insinuating that he can't be punished. He can, just not for his actual beliefs. Word.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In a few minutes (2:00 EST), the NBA's having their press conference. I doubt they'll fine him more than 500K - 1M.

The analysts were claiming, that Sterling's a savvy lawyer, and would probably beat the NBA in a lawsuit if they straight up took the team from him.

My thing is, if dude was so smart, he wouldn't have been fool enough to make those statements while being recorded.

Side note: That ? is not pretty.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    In a few minutes (2:00 EST), the NBA's having their press conference. I doubt they'll fine him more than 500K - 1M.

The analysts were claiming, that Sterling's a savvy lawyer, and would probably beat the NBA in a lawsuit if they straight up took the team from him.

My thing is, if dude was so smart, he wouldn't have been fool enough to make those statements while being recorded.

I think he could have any fines reversed too if he chose to fight them.
  • Matt-
    Options
    Na

So if an employer found out that I an employee was in the KKK via an anonymous video tip, they couldn't do anything because it's away from work, they couldn't do anything
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think that a persons's private thoughts once made public should be off limits for legislation if that persons is in a position of power and is blatanly anti-black. Actions while important can still be misconstrued and twisted by the media but private thoughts show who you are on a deeper level.

Being anti-black is not a crime though. So there is no legal punishment for that. The only reason it's an issue for sports and such is because the industry depends on fan support. So Sterling being a racist is a bad look for the NBA and gives them incentive to try and do something to get rid of him. But from a more general standpoint, you can't use the law or rules to force someone not to be a bigot. The best you can do is make it so they can't use their bigotry to mistreat others and then punish them if they do.

It might seem crazy, but that's just how it is. Like, you're a business owner right, I forgot if you are or not. But say you have a white employee, and you find out that he's a racist because of things he said away from the job. You could fire him for being a racist, and if he accepts that and leaves without a word, it's all good. However, if he decided to sue you for wrongful termination or whatever it's called, you'd have to actually show proof that his racism took away from his work or negatively impacted the business. That can be hard to do.

Being a bigot might not be a crime under law but it is a social crime and people get punished for that all the time just not always by the law I never called for this man to be put in jail but he should be fined, suspened and if possible forced to sell the team.

The white people who have worked for me In the past i treated fair but l fired their ass if I got proof of any anti-black comments and I have never been sued for it.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

Emotions sometimes turn people into dumb ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Na

So if an employer found out that I an employee was in the KKK via an anonymous video tip, they couldn't do anything because it's away from work, they couldn't do anything

They could fire him. But if he came back and sued, and they couldn't prove that his affiliation negatively impacted the business at all or played into his interactions with coworkers, he'd win. It's not as easy to fire people as you think.

Being a bigot might not be a crime under law but it is a social crime and people get punished for that all the time just not always by the law I never called for this man to be put in jail but he should be fined, suspened and if possible forced to sell the team.

The white people who have worked for me In the past i treated fair but l fired their ass if I got proof of any anti-black comments and I have never been sued for it.

We're not talking about criminal law. We're talking about civil law. And companies are limited to what they can do to employees when it comes to policing beliefs, affiliations, etc...

And I'm not saying you can't fire or punish a person for that kind of thing. I'm just saying that it will open you up to lawsuits and typically the burden falls on the employer.

This isn't my field of expertise or anything. It's just that I work with some incompetent government employees, and I asked this guy that works in the legal department how these clowns manage to stay employed despite how bad they are. And he explained the ? to me. It's ? up, that's how it is.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    sterlings daughter after the last game

535fca3100371.jpg

Is this real??
  • stilldat_dude
    stilldat_dude Members Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Na

Wrong...if your employer is at will he can fire you for no reason at all...now if your employer is an just cause employer than he couldn't fire you for that unless he could tie it into a hostile work environment or another legitimate reason.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they make everyone on the Clippers free agents then the Clippers are about to look like Death Row after 96' status
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
This discussion has been closed.