"Even if I say yes, it doesn't mean I mean yes" - Feminists

Options

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Smh

We are all guilty of making hast generalizations at times, but the generalizing about feminism has reached an all time high... and so has the hostility

Yes there has been extremist out there who have tried to hijack the term...but sometimes I just don't get the hate

At the end of the day, feminism is not a political party or an organization like the naacp...its just an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women....though I and a another woman may label ourselves feminist, it is also possible and highly probable we share differing view points, ideologies

I myself have been highly inspired by the writings of angela davis ...my favorite feminist

With that said, besides the fact they are female students, why do you consider them to be representative of the feminist movement?

As far as consent goes, yes means yes...no means no....however silence doesn't necessarily mean 'yes' ... you have to take body language into consideration

Op clearly states there are certain feminists supporting this idea
    Never said it was all or that these groups are a representative sample

You make little sense when you say that feminism has a variety of conflicting views and many broad ideologies yet denounce the extremists as people trying to hijack the term

• FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Man ? that noise yci85Ew.png
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Evilchuck wrote: »
    Yes means yes.

Shiiiiit I heard that.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Smh

We are all guilty of making hast generalizations at times, but the generalizing about feminism has reached an all time high... and so has the hostility

Yes there has been extremist out there who have tried to hijack the term...but sometimes I just don't get the hate

At the end of the day, feminism is not a political party or an organization like the naacp...its just an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women....though I and a another woman may label ourselves feminist, it is also possible and highly probable we share differing view points, ideologies

I myself have been highly inspired by the writings of angela davis ...my favorite feminist

With that said, besides the fact they are female students, why do you consider them to be representative of the feminist movement?

As far as consent goes, yes means yes...no means no....however silence doesn't necessarily mean 'yes' ... you have to take body language into consideration
    You dont get the hate?

Do you seriously think a feminist with your demeanor would last long in mainstream media? Do you think you're the norm in feminist culture?

Its not so much that there are ? feminists out there as there is no backlash by so-called "sane" women when their fellow feminist say stupid ? like "yes means no."

Where is the passionate criticism of those who have "hijacked" feminism? It's non-existent.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    Smh

You dont get the hate?

Do you seriously think a feminist with your demeanor would last long in mainstream media? Do you think you're the norm in feminist culture?

Its not so much that there are ? feminists out there as there is no backlash by so-called "sane" women when their fellow feminist say stupid ? like "yes means no."

Where is the passionate criticism of those who have "hijacked" feminism? It's non-existent.

Paglia
  • 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Angela Davis is a ? ... Why would a straight woman be inspired by a ? ? What could she possibly have to say about feminity when she ain't even a real woman herself?
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @desertrain10‌ Can you name one feminist argument, precept or claim of the last thirty years that actually held up to scrutiny?

Seems like every feminist argument is just full of ? on close examination.
    So when you say not all feminists I call ? . Cuz y'all ? were straight riding on ? with flawed data no ? given.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

You dont get the hate?

This reminds me of how a woman attacks a man and no women do/say anything about her behavior. But as soon as the man snaps all of a sudden they have lots to say and take action............................. ..... ...ON THE MAN!!!

• desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Smh

You make little sense when you say that feminism has a variety of conflicting views and many broad ideologies yet denounce the extremists as people trying to hijack the term

Ok let's pretend like you aren't using this story to further cast feminism in a bad light

And there are misguided "feminist", and than there are the extremists who promote an agenda that does nothing to promote gender equality. And sets women against men in all spheres of life...it makes perfect sense to denounce said extremists who along with the media like to make the claim that they speak for all women/feminist

• LUClEN
    Options
    no true Scotsman
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

Ok let's pretend like you aren't using this story to further cast feminism in a bad light

And there are misguided "feminist", and than there are the extremists who promote an agenda that does nothing to promote gender equality. And sets women against men in all spheres of life...it makes perfect sense to denounce said extremists who along with the media like to make the claim that they speak for all women/feminist

How can there be a spectrum of "crazy extreme fems" to "not so crazy extreme fems" when you just said that essentially feminism on the whole has no real succinct set of rules or parameters or criteria to which they who claim it ..hold themselves accountable to?

That doesn't sound like it makes much sense ...if theres all types of ideas and interpretations of what feminism is ...how can anyone be considered extreme? wouldn't they all just be considered "feminist" ....at least according to your own breakdown ....?

Lets talk about it.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is @desertrain10‌ gonna act like I didn't just ask her a question and @ her in it?

Duck and dodge squad.
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Smh

How can there be a spectrum of "crazy extreme fems" to "not so crazy extreme fems" when you just said that essentially feminism on the whole has no real succinct set of rules or parameters or criteria to which they who claim it ..hold themselves accountable to?

That doesn't sound like it makes much sense ...if theres all types of ideas and interpretations of what feminism is ...how can anyone be considered extreme? wouldn't they all just be considered "feminist" ....at least according to your own breakdown ....?

Lets talk about it.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly ...

Again feminism is an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women. Its not a monolith. Its not a political party. Its not some sort of organization. We are unique individuals. What unites us is we want to empower women

Or, in other words, one cannot characterize a feminist’s philosophy or values based only on her feminist label. And vice versa. One cannot assume to know a person's philosophy or values based solely from her feminist label

Black feminist and white feminist often are at odds on many issues

When I refer to an extremist, I'm referring to an individual with extreme views that detract from the empowerment of women ...for example the "feminist" who criticized women for being homemakers should be denounced

Better yet I'm denouncing the popular narrative that feminist are a monolith of man hating crazies
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Some are though
    Dworkin and Solanas were feminists
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Angela Davis is a ? ... Why would a straight woman be inspired by a ? ? What could she possibly have to say about feminity when she ain't even a real woman herself?

I don't know whether Angela Davis is a ? or not....but a lot of feminist doctrine is being pushed by ? who have a vitriolic hatred for men.

Most of their jargon seems to focus on male-bashing more than anything else.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Independent of equal pay/workplace equality and suffrage and all that good stuff..I'm not exactly in love with feminism.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Independent of equal pay/workplace equality and suffrage and all that good stuff..I'm not exactly in love with feminism.

What about abortion rights, alimony, custody rights, lighter prison sentences, subsidized childcare, consent laws, and gender spheres?
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Smh

You dont get the hate?

There seems to be no backlash, because not everyone is afforded a platform like the extremists many of whom are only feminist in name only

Its gotten to the point where many women who profess to believe in the tenets of gender equality, for instance, have even adopted new labels such as humanist because they did not want to be associated with the extremists and stereotyped

No I get the hate... rather i feel like its misplaced
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how long are men going to put up with these feminist and there ? . it pass time we put that ? in the ideological graveyard
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    on the i.c. men feel like they're being oppressed by women and militant feminists pose a real threat to their lives. it's absurd.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get the ? outta here with contradicting ?

This is why some ? slap ? like this up with the quickness

Before being a "feminist", is something called being an adult

Act like it
  • desertrain10
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    @desertrain10‌ Can you name one feminist argument, precept or claim of the last thirty years that actually held up to scrutiny?

Seems like every feminist argument is just full of ? on close examination.
    So when you say not all feminists I call ? . Cuz y'all ? were straight riding on ? with flawed data no ? given.

What are u asking of me exactly?

Are you saying we don't need feminism anymore? Obviously I couldn't disagree more

Abortion rights are constantly under threat, in the political arena women are drastically under represented, thousands of women are ? a year yet the conviction rate hovers around 7%, thousands of pregnant women are fired or forced to take unpaid leave from work after requesting such accommodations as a stool to sit on, or a change in schedule, woman are paid less for the same work, etc

That's only in America

Not to say the aforementioned are purely the result of sexism or discriminatory/ exclusionary practices, but they do play a prominent factor

Most importantly we need feminism , feminst voices to help empower young girls growing up in a soceity that places little value in a woman's aspirations beyond marriage, her intellect or her sexual agency. To inspire them to have confidence, ambitions worthy of their potential and a sense of their rights
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel sorry for the young males that have to grow up in the world with these stupid evil ? . Cuz most of them are too ? to slap her upside the head and reboot that ? 's system so she act right.

? out here snapping, hitting a ? and being ashamed of themselves afterward. That's how these hoes got out of control.

You let any group of ? get together and form thoughts without proper guidance and nothing good can come of it. You see a group of 3 or more females talking (about anything) and you have a handgun on you fire shots into the air to startle them. Break that ? up before somebody ? around and get killed over them ? and their bright dim ideas.

Lol @ this direct quote from the Real ? bible...

I haven't read the good book in a while now...shame on me.