"Even if I say yes, it doesn't mean I mean yes" - Feminists

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    on the i.c. men feel like they're being oppressed by women and militant feminists pose a real threat to their lives. it's absurd.

tell that to any man who has to suffer under the family court system. or pay child support for children that are not his or pay alimony to a functional adult. or be forced to be a father to children he did not want In the first place
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited August 2014
    Options
    That ? will never hold up in court. Eventhough "? " is one of the few criminal laws that has been getting reformed in the past 50 years, yes not equaling yes will only work if its involving a minor(statutory ? ).

* or lack of mens rea
  • zombie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    @desertrain10‌ Can you name one feminist argument, precept or claim of the last thirty years that actually held up to scrutiny?

Seems like every feminist argument is just full of ? on close examination.
    So when you say not all feminists I call ? . Cuz y'all ? were straight riding on ? with flawed data no ? given.

What are u asking of me exactly?

Are you saying we don't need feminism anymore? Obviously I couldn't disagree more

Abortion rights are constantly under threat, in the political arena women are drastically under represented, thousands of women are ? a year yet the conviction rate hovers around 7%, thousands of pregnant women are fired or forced to take unpaid leave from work after requesting such accommodations as a stool to sit on, or a change in schedule, woman are paid less for the same work, etc

That's only in America

Not to say the aforementioned are purely the result of sexism or discriminatory/ exclusionary practices, but they do play a prominent factor

Most importantly we need feminism , feminst voices to help empower young girls growing up in a soceity that places little value in a woman's aspirations beyond marriage, her intellect or her sexual agency. To inspire them to have confidence, ambitions worthy of their potential and a sense of their rights

that is their parents job not the job of society why should i pay for a stool? if it was a man who worked for me i would not have to worry about making accommodations because of his pregnancy. why do i have to make accommodations for you accommodations cost money.

i thought you wanted to be equal?? yet here you are asking for accommodations and special treatment
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    on the i.c. men feel like they're being oppressed by women and militant feminists pose a real threat to their lives. it's absurd.

McGill is probably the best school in my country

When they give a certain ideology a platform it holds more significance than other absurd ideologies that aren't given the speaking time, like ?
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Ive managed a business outside of the US where women would abuse the law (no woman can be fired while pregnant/or within the year she has given birth, unless she has caused physical harm to the establishment) , ? would come in when they want, come in and slack df off,etc. We still had to pay them while theyre on leave and hire someone to fill their spot. So yea, I wouldnt be so quick to make a similar law in the US.

lol @ the abortion ? . Its already just about 100% up to the woman if the child will be born on not, despite what the man thinks, yet you feel they have no say lol
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

We are all guilty of making hast generalizations at times, but the generalizing about feminism has reached an all time high... and so has the hostility

Yes there has been extremist out there who have tried to hijack the term...but sometimes I just don't get the hate

At the end of the day, feminism is not a political party or an organization like the naacp...its just an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women....though I and a another woman may label ourselves feminist, it is also possible and highly probable we share differing view points, ideologies

I myself have been highly inspired by the writings of angela davis ...my favorite feminist

With that said, besides the fact they are female students, why do you consider them to be representative of the feminist movement?

As far as consent goes, yes means yes...no means no....however silence doesn't necessarily mean 'yes' ... you have to take body language into consideration

Thank goodness some people have a brain.

This is just another thread to foment hatred and mistrust towards feminists as a whole under the guise "well, I didn't indicate all feminists". So pathetic. That would be like me making a thread about how all Black men are horrible, absentee fathers--even though that's the furthest thing from the truth. Constantly making threads highlighting the bad of a certain population does nothing to initiate intelligent conversation on issues that truly deserve to be discussed. All you men are doing are giving an outreach platform to the women you literally violently hate--feeding the trolls a most decadent meal, so to speak.

I, and others such as @desertrain10, are up for also speaking on men's issues that remain underrepresented, but it's hard to get anywhere with a collective, limited, and destructive groupthink of "? ain't ? ", "women are juveniles who lack logic", etc. There are posts in here saying women deserve to be physically harmed to beat them back into reality. Who really hates who? Because a lot of y'all men are sounding like woman-haters.

When there's an intelligent, healthy discussion on the real issues at hand, @ me.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

We are all guilty of making hast generalizations at times, but the generalizing about feminism has reached an all time high... and so has the hostility

Yes there has been extremist out there who have tried to hijack the term...but sometimes I just don't get the hate

At the end of the day, feminism is not a political party or an organization like the naacp...its just an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women....though I and a another woman may label ourselves feminist, it is also possible and highly probable we share differing view points, ideologies

I myself have been highly inspired by the writings of angela davis ...my favorite feminist

With that said, besides the fact they are female students, why do you consider them to be representative of the feminist movement?

As far as consent goes, yes means yes...no means no....however silence doesn't necessarily mean 'yes' ... you have to take body language into consideration

This is just another thread to foment hatred and mistrust towards feminists as a whole under the guise "well, I didn't indicate all feminists". So pathetic. That would be like me making a thread about how all Black men are horrible, absentee fathers--even though that's the furthest thing from the truth. Constantly making threads highlighting the bad of a certain population does nothing to initiate intelligent conversation on issues that truly deserve to be discussed. All you men are doing are giving an outreach platform to the women you literally violently hate--feeding the trolls a most decadent meal, so to speak.

I, and others such as @desertrain10, are up for also speaking on men's issues that remain underrepresented, but it's hard to get anywhere with a collective, limited, and destructive groupthink of "? ain't ? ", "women are juveniles who lack logic", etc. There are posts in here saying women deserve to be physically harmed to beat them back into reality. Who really hates who? Because a lot of y'all men are sounding like woman-haters.

When there's an intelligent, healthy discussion on the real issues at hand, @ me.

They are. Alot of these dudes have mommy issues. Not enough hugs, pb&j sandwiches or something, it's a shame.

I commend deserttrain because she responds to everyone even when they're obviously trying to troll her or just saying off the wall ? to get attention...

While I'm on the subject there is a lot of that too, ? just wanting some attention.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

All this is mere rhetoric. The evidence speaks contrary. As the adage goes actions speak louder than words.

Feminists wish for everyone to be spellbound by their words while ignoring what they have done and committed to socially and politically. Very few people are falling for that ? anymore.

You point to a few posts saying that females should be beaten or harmed while one can argue the degree of hyperbole intended let's not act like the feminist ? manifesto doesn't exist and that there aren't a multitude of quotes from well known pop feminists calling for the eradication, imprisonment or otherwise subjugation of males.

So it's like I got a whole clip to empty into feminism and plenty to reload.
    The problem with feminists and feminism is that it is an ideology born out of belief not based on any evidence so it works more like a cult than a political body. I say like a cult because people are indoctrinated with beliefs, little evidence or manufactured evidence and if someone speaks out against them then feminists turn into screeching harpies calling for the offenders to be beaten or ? or assaulted some kind of way.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Instead* Phantom*
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Smh

They are. Alot of these dudes have mommy issues. Not enough hugs, pb&j sandwiches or something, it's a shame.

I commend deserttrain because she responds to everyone even when they're obviously trying to troll her or just saying off the wall ? to get attention...

While I'm on the subject there is a lot of that too, ? just wanting some attention.

Son you really are confused.Some great points are being made by men in this discussion and insteas of posting a rebuttal you go on a tirade about men and phantim women issues.Are you a female?You seem to have men issues which I find ironic.I see the points that both sides are making,but you are being a hypocrite by generalizing men who voice their opinion.I notice you do this ? regularly.Stop kissing these women ass.
    Smh

Son you really are confused.Some great points are being made by men in this discussion and insteas of posting a rebuttal you go on a tirade about men and phantim women issues.Are you a female?You seem to have men issues which I find ironic.I see the points that both sides are making,but you are being a hypocrite by generalizing men who voice their opinion.I notice you do this ? regularly.Stop kissing these women ass.

Umm whatever bruh. There ain't ? being said significant in here that hasn't been said in past anti-woman threads and won't be repeated in future anti-women threads....and there there will be several more before the week ends.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Don't post in them then.You doing the same thing you complaining about.
  • LordZuko
    Options
    Smh

A lot of males have been conditioned to take a female's word as gospel. They are essentially simp ass ? with a white knight syndrome. Any criticism or refutation of a female's word is billed as misogyny.
    Ridiculous.

• VulcanRaven
    Options
    Smh

A lot of males have been conditioned to take a female's word as gospel. They are essentially simp ass ? with a white knight syndrome. Any criticism or refutation of a female's word is billed as misogyny.
    Ridiculous.

Simp came to my mind.He does that ? all the time and it's past annoying.Some men need to take their ? back and stop putting women on padatals.That does not equal hate a many men on this site are in relationships and show appreciate for their woman.The only woman not related that a man should defend.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

Smh lol

Its something to do on the job, when I have some down time, between study sessions

• zombie
    Options
    Smh

some of the issue facing men are never really addressed by feminists because sometimes what's good for men and what"s good for women are diametrically opposed. So one side has to win out and currently FEMINIST are getting there way.
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

Precisely. That's why I love me some DesertRain10--she was truly some "rain" relief for this dry ass desert thread. But lemme stop saying that; I wouldn't want to be deemed a "? ass man-hater" for showing some friendly affection to a fellow comrade. Oh, no!!
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Smh

My girl

U always know just what to say

• DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    Smh

You dont get the hate?

Do you seriously think a feminist with your demeanor would last long in mainstream media? Do you think you're the norm in feminist culture?

Its not so much that there are ? feminists out there as there is no backlash by so-called "sane" women when their fellow feminist say stupid ? like "yes means no."

Where is the passionate criticism of those who have "hijacked" feminism? It's non-existent.

There seems to be no backlash, because not everyone is afforded a platform like the extremists many of whom are only feminist in name only
    Nah that's not an excuse. Social media, blogs, etc are not susceptible to corporate censorship. Where are the Feminist blogs that dont demonize men? Where are the feminist blogs that criticize these psychos? Where are the feminist blogs that say, "Hey you know Ray Rice got hit first right?" Where are the feminist blogs or feminist in general that say, "Hey, being ? is not an enough excuse not to take responsibility for your actions."

Go on any YouTube Channel, Tumblr, etc and finding Non-Crazy Feminist is nearly impossible.

I know of 2 non-Crazy feminists compared to the majority of the comments, blogs, etc I read.
    Its gotten to the point where many women who profess to believe in the tenets of gender equality, for instance, have even adopted new labels such as humanist because they did not want to be associated with the extremists and stereotyped

No I get the hate... rather i feel like its misplaced
    If they didnt want to be associated with the extremists where is the dissent? I hear the word "Humanist" a lot. But even these "humanist" use terms like, "VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN" as if Violence Against Men BY a woman is perfectly acceptable.

I'm not buying this whole, "oh we're just misunderstood" angle. BUt I do acknowledge the Mainstream feminists arent a representation of ALL women.
  • zombie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    @desertrain10‌ Can you name one feminist argument, precept or claim of the last thirty years that actually held up to scrutiny?

Seems like every feminist argument is just full of ? on close examination.
    So when you say not all feminists I call ? . Cuz y'all ? were straight riding on ? with flawed data no ? given.

What are u asking of me exactly?

Are you saying we don't need feminism anymore? Obviously I couldn't disagree more

Abortion rights are constantly under threat, in the political arena women are drastically under represented, thousands of women are ? a year yet the conviction rate hovers around 7%, thousands of pregnant women are fired or forced to take unpaid leave from work after requesting such accommodations as a stool to sit on, or a change in schedule, woman are paid less for the same work, etc

That's only in America

Not to say the aforementioned are purely the result of sexism or discriminatory/ exclusionary practices, but they do play a prominent factor

Most importantly we need feminism , feminst voices to help empower young girls growing up in a soceity that places little value in a woman's aspirations beyond marriage, her intellect or her sexual agency. To inspire them to have confidence, ambitions worthy of their potential and a sense of their rights

that is their parents job not the job of society why should i pay for a stool? if it was a man who worked for me i would not have to worry about making accommodations because of his pregnancy. why do i have to make accommodations for you accommodations cost money.

i thought you wanted to be equal?? yet here you are asking for accommodations and special treatment

i would really like an answer to my questions coming from anyone of you feminist male or female.

why is society responsible for building up your confidence?? and why should i be held financial responsible for your pregnancy, why do i have to have accommodations for you if it's not financially a good deal for me
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Smh

You dont get the hate?

Do you seriously think a feminist with your demeanor would last long in mainstream media? Do you think you're the norm in feminist culture?

Its not so much that there are ? feminists out there as there is no backlash by so-called "sane" women when their fellow feminist say stupid ? like "yes means no."

Where is the passionate criticism of those who have "hijacked" feminism? It's non-existent.

There seems to be no backlash, because not everyone is afforded a platform like the extremists many of whom are only feminist in name only
    Nah that's not an excuse. Social media, blogs, etc are not susceptible to corporate censorship. Where are the Feminist blogs that dont demonize men? Where are the feminist blogs that criticize these psychos? Where are the feminist blogs that say, "Hey you know Ray Rice got hit first right?" Where are the feminist blogs or feminist in general that say, "Hey, being ? is not an enough excuse not to take responsibility for your actions."

Go on any YouTube Channel, Tumblr, etc and finding Non-Crazy Feminist is nearly impossible.

I know of 2 non-Crazy feminists compared to the majority of the comments, blogs, etc I read.
    Its gotten to the point where many women who profess to believe in the tenets of gender equality, for instance, have even adopted new labels such as humanist because they did not want to be associated with the extremists and stereotyped

If they didnt want to be associated with the extremists where is the dissent? I hear the word "Humanist" a lot. But even these "humanist" use terms like, "VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN" as if Violence Against Men BY a woman is perfectly acceptable.

I'm not buying this whole, "oh we're just misunderstood" angel.

See these are great points.There may be some sarcasm and jokes from men in general,but great points are made.I guess these type if feminsts described don't have daddy and men hating issurs though?
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Smh

Precisely. That's why I love me some DesertRain10--she was truly some "rain" relief for this dry ass desert thread. But lemme stop saying that; I wouldn't want to be deemed a "? ass man-hater" for showing some friendly affection to a fellow comrade. Oh, no!!

Right lol

We can't have that

Save it for our pm's
  • LordZuko
    Options
    Smh

You dont get the hate?

I'm not buying this whole, "oh we're just misunderstood" angel.

Exactly. Feminists are always saying how radfems are the minority but please show me the feminists that decry these philosophies. Where are the feminists that say 'hey we should stop using bad math to paint a particular picture of men' where are the feminists who say that females who commit statutory ? should receive the same prison time as male offenders.
    Where are the feminists who say that wr need an overhaul of the law regarding domestic violence?

Like where are they.

I can think of exactly two feminists who call other feminists out for their ? , christina hoff somers and christina pagilia.

All the res act like some hive mind idiots.
    What's more is that black feminists haven't caught on to the fact that there is not a single issue black women face that feminism can fix because the issues are due to being black and not primarily because you're female.
    Secondly black feminists fail to acknowlege the role gloria steinem, a known cia agent, played in the birth of black feminism, and how this creation was used to dismantle the Black rights movement.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly ...

Again feminism is an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women. Its not a monolith. Its not a political party. Its not some sort of organization. We are unique individuals. What unites us is we want to empower women

Or, in other words, one cannot characterize a feminist’s philosophy or values based only on her feminist label. And vice versa. One cannot assume to know a person's philosophy or values based solely from her feminist label

Black feminist and white feminist often are at odds on many issues

When I refer to an extremist, I'm referring to an individual with extreme views that detract from the empowerment of women ...for example the "feminist" who criticized women for being homemakers should be denounced

Better yet I'm denouncing the popular narrative that feminist are a monolith of man hating crazies

All I'm getting from your posts is that feminism is ? . Based on your statement, the only thing that ties you together is the desire for the empowerment of women. Well not every woman is a feminist, but all women want women to be treated fairly and justly. I'm betting few to no men would be considered feminists, but I'd say most men also want women to be treated fairly and justly, especially those of us who have wives, daughters, sisters, etc... that we care about. So if the one and only thing that connects feminists is something you don't even need to be a feminist to support, what's the point of being a feminist? I mean why would you even want to apply a label to yourself when that label also applies to a bunch of people with beliefs that conflict with your own?